Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I Think My POS DVD Player Just Died...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...with one of my DVDs still inside of it. This past January, I bought a Cyberhome DVD player. Now, I know it was a cheap one and it probably wasn't going to last all that long, but I figured that when it went, I wouldn't have a DVD inside of it.

Nevertheless, that time has seemingly come and that's the case. I was watching the first Frankenstein disc from the Legacy set last night and was going to finish it up this morning. I turned the power on via the remote and nothing happened. I figured the batteries had died (AGAIN) and went to turn the power on manually. Nothing. So I'm assuming it's finally stopped working, but now, how do I get the damn DVD out?

I know back in the day you took a stuck VHS into a TV repair shop and they got it out for you, but is that possible with a DVD player? Even so, I don't really feel like taking it in anywhere, so is there any way I can get the DVD out myself; preferably without blowing my house up?
Old 10-08-04, 12:23 PM

If you're not going to try and save the player itself, just take a screwdriver to the thing. On the bottom there should be the case screwholes - take her apart and retrieve your disc.

Of course, even when it's unplugged you're risking electrical shock - but if you know anything at all about electronics you'll not be jabbing your tools into any capacitors.
Old 10-08-04, 12:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I once bought a new Apex that had a DVD lodged inside (obviously, it was broken by another customer who just wrapped it back up and returned it to the store). I considered breaking it open to get the DVD, but thought better and just exchanged for a new one.
Old 10-08-04, 01:42 PM

Try unplugging it and then plugging it back in. It sounds stupid, but my old player has done this 4 or 5 times in its lifetime and that's all it took to get it to work again. It's worth a shot and only takes a second.

If that doesn't work just take a screwdriver to it and take it apart to get the DVD out.
Old 10-08-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 10-08-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Shoot it.
Old 10-08-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
I once bought a new Apex that had a DVD lodged inside (obviously, it was broken by another customer who just wrapped it back up and returned it to the store). I considered breaking it open to get the DVD, but thought better and just exchanged for a new one.
This works for me and my Cyberhome-dvd300 model. It takes a crap every 4 months or so....
Old 10-08-04, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by steebo777
Shoot it.
That's damned ironic. I'm sittting gere watching my new Sniper 3-pack.
Old 10-08-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Turned off the surge protector and turned it on again and surprisingly enough, it worked. Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-17-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Al Padrino
Turned off the surge protector and turned it on again and surprisingly enough, it worked. Thanks for the idea.
It's really not so surprising when you realize the DVD player is a computer and dis-connecting the power for a little while will cause the player to reset when it has corrupted it memory. This is very common fix for most electronics these days and the problem you discribed and others similar ones are usually caused by surges and/or voltage drops (brown-outs) thus making the electronics screwy. Very few surge protectors protect from brown-outs (except for battery backup types) so don't worry that your surge protector is not working as it is there to protect against surges not voltage drops.

Last edited by Frank S; 10-17-04 at 09:26 PM.