Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS review thread...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-04, 09:33 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Filmjerk

http://www.filmjerk.com/new/article-1064--0-0.html

"No wonder Berg can’t stand to let a shot play out for more than 3 seconds. I wouldn’t either; actually getting to see a static second of this formulaic tale would break the illusion that it all means something. But do we really need snap zooms and rapid fire editing when we watch the boys eat fries at a restaurant?"

JoBlo

http://www.joblo.com/fridaynightlights.htm

"A solid football movie. Sure, you don't have to love the sport to appreciate the story at hand, the characters intertwined or the message that the film ultimately sends out, but let's be honest here...if you're a football fan, this movie will definitely appeal more to you!"

Last edited by scott shelton; 10-08-04 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 09:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Ebert's 3 1/2-star review here.
Old 10-08-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oooooh, another football movie!!!

I'm passing on this one. I've seen Varsity Blues already.
Old 10-08-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Saw it last night. I liked it. Not awesome, but solid. I would be interested in seeing how close to true life this really is.

If Odessa is anything like they portrayed in the movie, it's pretty pathetic. These adults act like high school football is and always will be, the most important and significant thing in their life. You are an adult now, move on. It's like the fraternity guy who is still hanging out at rush and frat parties 10 years after college.
Old 10-08-04, 11:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
Oooooh, another football movie!!!

I'm passing on this one. I've seen Varsity Blues already.
I agree - the similarities seem all too apparent for me to want to go see this one. Unless it has a powerful word-of-mouth, I think I'll pass on this one.
Old 10-08-04, 11:57 AM
Retired

I definitely want to catch this sometime. I had to read the book for a Journalism class a few years back and it was pretty damn good.
Old 10-08-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll catch it when it's on TBS.
Old 10-08-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
It's getting great reviews everywhere.
Old 10-08-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hell, even the Sports Guy liked it over at ESPN, so that's not too shabby.
Old 10-08-04, 02:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I definitely want to catch this sometime. I had to read the book for a Journalism class a few years back and it was pretty damn good.
I think you'll be disappointed.
Old 10-08-04, 02:56 PM

I'm not really interested in seeing this but I thought this was interesting.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but when I saw that this movie was coming out, I knew I was going to eventually have to say something. The movie is based on a high school football team from Odessa, Texas, named the Permian Panthers.

What they don't want you to know is that the Permian Panthers, usually referred to as Odessa Permian, has a long and storied history of cheating, stealing, and major unsportmanslike conduct. The high school has been disqualified several times in the past for UIL rules violations, usually in regard to eligibility requirements. The eligibility requirements can be viewed here (Adobe Acrobat Online file, .pdf format)

The most common reason given for why this high school is disqualified, is because this high school actively recruits players, or in layman's terms, compensates families who move into the district this school is in, either through housing, jobs, or other non-educational forms.

As for the unsportsmanlike conduct, I personally witnessed this myself, when my high school played against them my sophomore year in high school. That year, we had a sophomore year football savant who played on the varsity team. To give you an idea of how good he was, he was pretty much a high school equivalent of Emett Smith. The Odessa Permian defensive line was having a hard time catching him, so the order was given to clip him. For those of you who don't know what clipping is, clipping is where you take you arm, with the area between the elbow and the shoulder, and then hit the person in the back of the leg, right behind the knee.

Clipping is expressly forbidden in high scholl football, because the usual outcome is severe injury to the leg and knee, but I'll get into that in a little bit. The ref originally wanted to get penalize Odessa Permian 15 yards, at which point, my school's football coach went, quote, "apeshit," unquote. An arguement ensued over the call, which eventually ended up in my school's coach pulling out the official UIL high school football rulebook. In the rulebook, it clearly states that any player who clips another play must be immediately ejected from the game.

The Odessa Permian coach fought this, until my school's coach commented that unless the offending player was ejected from the game, he was going to place a call the following Monday morning to the main UIL office in Austin, Texas. The Odessa Permian coach finally relented at that point. I later heard that the Odessa Permian team had already been contacted by the UIL office in Austin earlier that year, about excessive unsportsmanlike conduct, such as clipping, and other illegal tactics, such as face masking. They had been told that any more violations could result in the team being disqualified from UIL competition that year.

Now, about the injury part. The player who was clipped, a friend of mine since elementary school, had to be taken off the field after the incident. Over the course of the next two years, he had no less than three surgeries to attempt to repair the damage done to his knee from that clipping. As most of us here know, knee injuries never really heal; Kevin Nash is a prime example.

So, before you go see this movie, keep in mind all that I've said here. Do you want to support a team like this? Do you want to support the mind set that keeps things this way, i.e., winning is the only thing that matters, no matter how you do it? I, personally, will never see this movie, and I doubt anyone in my home town will, either.

Got it from here-
http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/inde...howtopic=61823
Old 10-08-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cdollaz
If Odessa is anything like they portrayed in the movie, it's pretty pathetic. These adults act like high school football is and always will be, the most important and significant thing in their life. You are an adult now, move on. It's like the fraternity guy who is still hanging out at rush and frat parties 10 years after college.
I live 15 miles from Odessa, and yes, it's really like that.

For those who are comparing "Friday Night Lights" to "Varsity Blues," you're way off the mark. "Friday Night Lights" is a true story and goes a lot deeper than "Varsity Blues," which is teen fluff in comparison.
Old 10-08-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I live 15 miles from Odessa, and yes, it's really like that.

For those who are comparing "Friday Night Lights" to "Varsity Blues," you're way off the mark. "Friday Night Lights" is a true story and goes a lot deeper than "Varsity Blues," which is teen fluff in comparison.
But they both have girls with whipped cream bikini's don't they?
Old 10-08-04, 07:07 PM

Mopower!!! A fellow Hawk fan!! Nice!!

This will be a wild season.
Old 10-08-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
saw it a couple of weeks ago at a screening and I over all enjoyed it. Felt it did a good job getting it's message accross and was pretty entertaining to watch.
Old 10-08-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chill Pill
Mopower!!! A fellow Hawk fan!! Nice!!

This will be a wild season.
Yes. If Tate stops f-ing up we might have something. Last game was awsome.
Old 10-08-04, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

I was going to point out the same thing. Heck, if anything maybe Varsity Blues stole some ideas from the FNL book. I haven't seen FNL yet but I plan to sometime this week. Saw some of the people involved (including 4 of the real players) with this story/movie on a talk show today and it's a compelling story.

Side note - anyone interested in "real" football, check out the awesome documentary Go Tigers! about the Massillon, OH HS football team from a few years ago. Very similar "story" to FNL - towns obsessed with their HS football team, etc. Very good movie.
Old 10-09-04, 01:25 AM

Mopower,

I don't know if I would put any blame on Tate. Seems to me he is one of the few doing well so far.

1. The O-line needs to gel.
2. Cut out all the penalties.
3. Someone needs to emerge as a field LEADER both on D and O.

Then we will be in good shape.

I guess I shouldn't veer off the thread topic too much, some ppl in here might "wig out", so to speak.
Old 10-09-04, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chill Pill
Mopower,

I don't know if I would put any blame on Tate. Seems to me he is one of the few doing well so far.

1. The O-line needs to gel.
2. Cut out all the penalties.
3. Someone needs to emerge as a field LEADER both on D and O.

Then we will be in good shape.

I guess I shouldn't veer off the thread topic too much, some ppl in here might "wig out", so to speak.

I agree penalties are killing them. But the last game they had them under control. Tate has fucked up a lot but he is a newbie so it's understandable. And your right. Must keep thread on topic.
Old 10-10-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Friday Night Lights:anyone else seen it?

I just saw this yesterday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised. I more or less just went to kill some time,but it wound up being a pleasant two hours. The acting was solid, as was the pacing. However, it was not much out of the ordinary in the long run. I give it *** or a good solid B.

I have a feeling this movie will do well during the week as its target audience probably spent most of the weekend, well, watching football games!
Old 10-10-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I liked the acting (Tim McGraw was surprisingly good!) and it was
Spoiler:
nice to see a sports movie where the team loses
I completely disliked the pseudo-documentary feel. It just felt odd to have all of the cinematography set up like a documentary but then nothing else was documentary-esque. No interviews, no voice-overs... was just offsetting. For some reason it also felt like there was an excessive amount of over the shoulder shots
Old 10-10-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could try here...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=389623
Old 10-10-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just saw this yesterday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised. I more or less just went to kill some time,but it wound up being a pleasant two hours. The acting was solid, as was the pacing. However, it was not much out of the ordinary in the long run. I give it *** or a good solid B.

I have a feeling this movie will do well during the week as its target audience probably spent most of the weekend, well, watching football games!

Old 10-10-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, just pasted in the other thread. Sorry about the duplication. Close this one if you wish!
Old 10-10-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I enjoyed the movie, a solid B or *** in my book. A couple of good sports films this yr in Miracle and now FNL imo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.