Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates of the Wallet: The Curse of the Double Dip

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-07-04, 06:52 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, so we're less than a month away from the 3-Disc Collector's Set release of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL, featuring the 2-disc DVD release everyone and their dog already shelled out for less than a year ago, as well as a new third disc of exclusive goodies, so does anyone know yet if Buena Vista is offering a program for prior owners of the original 2-disc-only release to acquire the bonus disc without buying the same damn movie disc all over again?
Old 10-07-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On one hand, you're upset they're coming out with a new version. On the other, you want the new version. Have you considered selling your old version to finance the purchase of the new one?
Old 10-07-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one knows anything at this point Filmmaker.
Old 10-07-04, 08:06 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Sure, evitagen, I'll happily, contentedly, warm-and-fuzzily sell my current disc for which I paid $15 for about $3-$5 at some video store, then turn around and pay back $15-$20 to get the same thing back. Makes mountains of sense...
Old 10-07-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Filmmaker - are you really going to watch the other stuff on disc 3?

Check a review first and then decide if it's worth your cash.

As for a program to get the new disc - well, that's just silly and you've been around long enough to know that won't happen. Unless you were joking - were you?
Old 10-07-04, 08:21 PM

I'll give you ten dollars.

Or you could try Half.com or eBay.com, but I think you're more interested in playing raped consumer than doing something about your problem.
Old 10-07-04, 08:28 PM
Banned

If I could do the latter in such a way that would completely alleviate the damage caused by the former, then I'm game, but you have yet to offer a compelling example (offering $10 for a disc I paid $15 for and, at minimum, will have to pay $15 for again to get the 3-disc version puts me at a $20 loss so, you see, the consumer raping continues unabated).
Old 10-07-04, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Filmmaker - are you really going to watch the other stuff on disc 3?

Yes, I'm a fan (whore?) of special edition/behind-the-scenes material.

Check a review first and then decide if it's worth your cash.

A review would matter not; my psychology of DVD collecting is, if a title's worth owning, it's worth owning the biggest, baddest version of it available. You don't need to agree to respect the position.

As for a program to get the new disc - well, that's just silly and you've been around long enough to know that won't happen. Unless you were joking - were you?

It happened with the 4th bonus disc (found in the trilogy boxed set) for buyers of the JURASSIC PARK films if they already owned the first two films individually. How long you been at this DVD collecting thing, kid?
Old 10-07-04, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Filmmaker
If I could do the latter in such a way that would completely alleviate the damage caused by the former, then I'm game, but you have yet to offer a compelling example (offering $10 for a disc I paid $15 for and, at minimum, will have to pay $15 for again to get the 3-disc version puts me at a $20 loss so, you see, the consumer raping continues unabated).
The going-rate at Half.com is $10. It'll stay around that price, I believe. The point is that you'll have to buy the new set anyway [which has everything from the first release], yet you're not going to sell the old one you have now because you want an amount that you cannot get?
Old 10-07-04, 08:53 PM
Banned

I never said I wouldn't sell it--of course I will; the point is, I will take a massive loss for relatively little pay-off. You can argue that, this being the case, I should pass on buying the 3-disc version, but as I said above, I'm a sucker for bigger and better DVD marketing, so that won't ultimately be an option. As a Jim Carrey character once said, "what I am going to do is piss and moan like an impotent jerk, and then bend over and take it up the tailpipe!"
Old 10-07-04, 08:55 PM
Banned

Oh, and yeah, I guess I didn't make it clear--I won' t be fully happy accepting $10 for a $15 disc, but if it was a serious offer on your part, it's better than what I'd get from any local video shops and less hassle than using Half.com, so I'll take you up on it.
Old 10-07-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the problem is that iam sure 100000% that they will release POTC AGAIN when the movies comes out 2006! i have the 2disc edition & iam not buyin this...cos i know i'll be excited when the movie comes out n 2006 & i'll buy the edition they will release then.
Old 10-07-04, 08:59 PM

offering $10 for a disc I paid $15 for and, at minimum, will have to pay $15 for again to get the 3-disc version puts me at a $20 loss so, you see, the consumer raping continues unabated.
Check your math. You would only be getting raped for $5, not $20. The other $15 goes to buy the movie..

but I see your point...
Old 10-07-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure, evitagen, I'll happily, contentedly, warm-and-fuzzily sell my current disc for which I paid $15 for about $3-$5 at some video store, then turn around and pay back $15-$20 to get the same thing back. Makes mountains of sense...
Well, you could either do that or you can keep your old DVD and pay out a whole $20 for the new one. Or you can just keep your old one and not buy the new one. It's not like you have no say in the matter. But as for them releasing the bonus disc seperately so you don't have to rebuy the whole movie....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You're joking, right?
Old 10-07-04, 09:34 PM
Banned

I hate math. I tried refiguring and came out with this scenario:

Get the POTC 2-disc set for $15, sell it for $10 (loss of $5), purchase the same 2-disc set again for $15, using the $10 I got from selling the original (another $5 loss, and really probably more, because bestbuy.com has the title for $23), for a net loss of $10.

Then I tried it this way:

Original disc costs me $15, 3-disc version costs me $15 (actually $23, yes, but to keep the figures simple) for a total of $30; I get $10 for selling the first DVD, for a net cost of $20 (vs. the original $15 I paid).

First example, I end up $10 in the hole, second example, I end up $5 in the hole. This is why I had to cheat to pass College Algebra (on my third attempt at the course, no less)...

Any sarcasm directed my way at this point is well earned...
Old 10-07-04, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Joe Molotov:
But as for them releasing the bonus disc seperately so you don't have to rebuy the whole movie....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You're joking, right?

Joe, my speed reader friend, I repeat: It happened with the 4th bonus disc (found in the trilogy boxed set) for buyers of the JURASSIC PARK films if they already owned the first two films individually.
Old 10-07-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Joe Molotov:
But as for them releasing the bonus disc seperately so you don't have to rebuy the whole movie....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! You're joking, right?

Joe, my speed reader friend, I repeat: It happened with the 4th bonus disc (found in the trilogy boxed set) for buyers of the JURASSIC PARK films if they already owned the first two films individually.
Okay, but with a three movie boxset, collectors would probably be more likely to say "Oh to hell with the bonus disc, I'm not rebuying all these movies again just to get that". But this is just one movie, and releases like this are usually aimed at collectors who probably already have the 2-Disc version or people that just plain missed the movie the first time. Releasing the one disc seperately would seem counter-productive to all the moneymaking they plan on doing with this. But hey, if they do decide to do it, then good for them. It wouldn't be something I'd expect to see though.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 10-07-04 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 11:12 PM
Banned

A fair counter argument, but the point stands that there is a precedent.

Oh, and on the math thing, I'm an idiot, but I got it on the way home from work--still, a $5 loss is about $5.01 too much, ya know?
Old 10-07-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Filmmaker How long you been at this DVD collecting thing, kid? [/B]
"Kid"? Unwarranted condescension aside, I've collected DVDs since 1998, 1999 or so.

So, you've shown me one example - a Universal title, a studio known for holding back the extra stuff. "Total Axcess"... certain movies exclusive to other DVD box sets... that sort of thing. That fourth disc wasn't so much a bonus as it was a cheat.
Old 10-08-04, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by DonnachaOne:
That fourth disc wasn't so much a bonus as it was a cheat.

Whereas this POTC bonus disc will represent the DVD equivalent of the Dead Sea Scrolls, I gather...?
Old 10-08-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you could always rent the new version.
Old 10-08-04, 01:16 AM
Banned

<-----doesn't rent
Old 10-08-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
<-----doesn't rent
well, then you have a dilemna my friend.

If I were you and I wanted it that badly, I would sell off my original version and then use that cash to purchase the new one.

Look at the $5 you lose on this one as a rental fee or more accurately a depreciation expense for A) Opening it, B) it being obsolete once the new one comes out.

Personally, I'm happy with my original version so no need to double dip for me.
Old 10-08-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hate math. I tried refiguring and came out with this scenario:

Get the POTC 2-disc set for $15, sell it for $10 (loss of $5), purchase the same 2-disc set again for $15, using the $10 I got from selling the original (another $5 loss, and really probably more, because bestbuy.com has the title for $23), for a net loss of $10.

Then I tried it this way:

Original disc costs me $15, 3-disc version costs me $15 (actually $23, yes, but to keep the figures simple) for a total of $30; I get $10 for selling the first DVD, for a net cost of $20 (vs. the original $15 I paid).

First example, I end up $10 in the hole, second example, I end up $5 in the hole. This is why I had to cheat to pass College Algebra (on my third attempt at the course, no less)...

Any sarcasm directed my way at this point is well earned...
You forgot to factor in the value of having the disc at your disposal for the last 10 months. I'm sure that it wasn't sitting on shelf unwatched the whole time.

Universal did offer the bonus disc to current owners, but the dozens and dozens of other double dips by the various studios didn't have such an offer. If you want the third disc, you'll have to buy the 3-disc set.

Those Best Buy bonus discs must really drive you nuts.
Old 10-08-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a solution to this whole problem. Trade your current 2-Disc POTC DVD for another DVD you want.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.