Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best DVD version of original Nosferatu.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best DVD version of original Nosferatu.

I have been wanting to pick this one up, but there are quite a few versions out there. Does anybody know what the definitive one to buy is? Thanks.
Old 10-07-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do a search, this has been asked before... so you could probably get more details.

But, in short, both the Image Entertainment and Kino editions are great.

I think the Kino edition has slightly better picture quality. But the Image edition has a lot of extras that aren't on the Kino. I have both.
Old 10-07-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've probably posted this before, but why not again?

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...vs%20Kino.html

Also, here is probably more than you want to know about the film's history and restoration:

http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscu...eiche/nos.html
Old 10-07-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=857
Old 10-07-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by obscurelabel
Also, here is probably more than you want to know about the film's history and restoration:

http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscu...eiche/nos.html

Wow! Thanks, obscurelabel!

I'm a sucker for restoration stuff.

Andrew
Old 10-07-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kino all the way.....
Old 10-07-04, 10:56 PM

Another vote for Kino. The transfer is great and the film features scenes not found in the Image version. The only drawback is that Kino's dvd is missing the excellent Lokke Heiss commentary that the Image dvd had. Still, Kino all the way.
Old 10-08-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My only problem with the Kino edition is that it doesn't have the original German intertitles... It's really a shame and does dimish the otherworldliness of the film for me just a little bit.
Old 10-08-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe just a bit, but on the flipside, I found the Kino subtitles a little easier to read.

My suggestion, though: get both. I usually don't advocate owning more than one DVD version of the same movie, but in this case, the differences are quite significant and if you really like the movie, you should just get both so you have all the supplemental material on the film that's out there.
Old 10-08-04, 01:49 AM

Al Padrino -

It's interesting that you say that, because I found the Kino intertitles to be a little bothersome. They use a green cursive font that I found a little annoying. Still, I feel that the Kino version is the better DVD. The film is also split into acts in this version, unlike the Image disc.

If you're going to buy one, buy Kino's disc. If you're interested in supplements, the Image disc has the commentary as well as a brief photo essay on the current state of the locations from the film. It also has two audio tracks that are a little nicer than Kino's (one being a more suitable organ score; Kino's audio choices are downright bizarre in places). All of this is nice, but with the improved picture quality, extended scenes and improved language translation (watch both and you'll see what I mean), Kino's disc is still the way to go if you're only interested in owning one version of the film.

And for god's sake, avoid ANY other version of the film you find. There are a dozen Nosferatu discs out there, but Kino's and Image's are the only two with merit. The Type O Negative version is cute for about 10 seconds but has a sub-par presentation of the film. Remember, Kino or Image, Kino or Image...

Last edited by Daniel L; 10-08-04 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The site I posted says this:

OVERALL: Draw
between Image SE, BFI & Kino editions

KINO features the longer version and a fairly good transfer with 2 score choices (2.0). Uses Murnau's original names in the intertitles.

IMAGE SE has even better transfer and 2 score choices (5.0/2.0) with a audio commentary and other extras. Uses Murnau's original names in the intertitles.

The BFI edition features the longer cut and a good transfer with more accurate colour tinting than Image SE. It does have a new musical score by James Bernard (who scored many of the classic Hammer horror movies - including the 1958 Dracula), which has been reported to be superior to all other musical scores for Nosferatu.

Note that slight variations in run time listed below will result from intertitle being of variable length.
Old 10-08-04, 09:21 AM

Class316:

I do not agree. The Kino version is darker and holds much more detail. It also features the correct color tinting on the boat scene. The only drawback to the transfer is that the image is slightly cropped. That's it. That's the only area in which it is beaten by the Image transfer. There is no excuse for saying that Kino's has a "fairly good" transfer while Image has an "even better" transfer. Kino is the way to go here. Watch both and you'll see.
Old 10-08-04, 11:39 AM

both