Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX vs. XBOX Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBOX vs. XBOX Jr.

Some of my friends and I have modified XBOXs and have started refering to a non-modded XBOX as XBOX Jr. since it is not nearly capable of the things that a modded XBOX is.

MOD EDIT: Talking about modding a system is a no-no. -namja
Old 10-07-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend has one and he doesn't care for gaming much anymore. He more than 40 games recorder but he only plays one or two. I don't have one because there is no need for one so I prefer my Xbox Jr. as you call it. I have 100+ Original Xbox Games in my collection and it feels good if not great to have the originals.

Let's say that your xbox breaks then what? You borrow more games? You rent them? If you do many of the games will not be there forever to rent at blockbuster.

There are too many deals out there right now that can let you have a game for $5 or $10 and even $15 if you are a bargain hunter. You don't need to spend $50 on a new game unless it's your type of game and must have (Like Halo 2).

It might be nice to have a modded xbox but I rather have the original packaging.

Last edited by kar10; 10-07-04 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: XBOX vs. XBOX Jr.

Originally posted by sniderock

Considering that someone could mod theirs for about $100 dollars, is there any real reason that someone wouldn't? I mean besides the whole live thing, there is no downside to this.
Perhaps maybe because it is illegal? Perhaps because some people don't want to take the risk of spending time in jail and paying huge fines?

Just a few ideas...
Old 10-07-04, 09:06 AM

Here's a vote for a modded box. I love mine, I've had a chip in it for about a year. At this point, I really dont play too many game on it. I use it more for a media center. Here's my main usage:

1. music storage and playing - its been a great hit at a couple of big party I've been to, its the DJ in a box, actually using it again for a Halloween party

2. movie storage and playing - just rip the movie on the computer and transfer to the xbox - I have my DVDs stacked about 25 high, now I don't have to worry about getting a movie from the bottom stack

3. streaming Replay TV - just like have a second replay TV(PVR), I can stream from the replay main unit to my xbox

These are probably the main point why I love my modded xbox. Now, I just need a bigger HD. I have a 160g inside it, but it filling up fast. Oh about the Live thing, just flip the switch and your good to go.
Old 10-07-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Re: XBOX vs. XBOX Jr.

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Perhaps maybe because it is illegal? Perhaps because some people don't want to take the risk of spending time in jail and paying huge fines?
Or how about because it will get you banned from Live and void your annual subscription?

Can some mod please close this thread or at least change it's juvenile, deceptive title?
Old 10-07-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theft is illegal, I've reported this post, hopefully they have your IP ready for Microsoft.
Old 10-07-04, 09:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't have a problem with people modding their Xbox (there are several legit reasons to do so), but piracy I do have a problem with.

But I don't mod my Xbox simply because I can do all that on PC anyway.
Old 10-07-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep my "jr." and like it. Sure I don't get on Live much, or I can't steal games...but at least the programmers are getting paid for the games I buy.
Old 10-07-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Children today.
Old 10-07-04, 09:33 AM
Retired

It's illegal, I don't steal games movies or music, have no desire to rip my cds to my x-box and use it as a media center, etc., so there's no point in modding for me.