Microsoft's Xbox Live Usage Takes Off in Asia

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Microsoft's Xbox Live Usage Takes Off in Asia

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...h_microsoft_dc

Wed Oct 6, 8:02 AM ET Technology - Reuters

By Doug Young

HONG KONG (Reuters) - One-in-seven Asian Xbox (news - web sites) video gamers plays on the Internet just six months after the regional launch of Microsoft's Xbox Live Internet software, a company executive said on Wednesday.

About 15 percent of Xbox console owners in Asia subscribe to Xbox Live, compared with 12 percent worldwide, said Yolanda Chan, regional sales director for the Asia Pacific region.

"We want to up (the penetration rate) to 22 percent by the end of the fiscal year" on June 30, 2005, she told Reuters in an interview at a Microsoft Corp (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) Xbox Live event in Hong Kong. "That would be a phenomenal result."

Chan said nearly 200,000 of Xbox Live's more than 1 million worldwide users now come from Asia.

The product's fast growth in the region reflects the popularity of video gaming in Asia.

Xbox Live competes with a similar service offered by Sony Corp (news - web sites).'s (6758.T) PlayStation console and with online games played over broadband-connected PCs.

The rapid growth of online games -- which generated revenue of more than $700 million in Asia last year -- has spawned a generation of homegrown start-ups including China's Shanda Networking Co. Ltd. (Nasdaq:SNDA - news), South Korea (news - web sites)'s Actoz Soft (052790.KQ) and Taiwan's Chinese Gamer International Corp. (3083.TWO).

The boom has attracted U.S. heavyweight Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq:ERTS - news), the world's largest video game publisher, which on Wednesday said it would set up its worldwide online game design headquarters in China with a staff of 500.

LOOKING FOR REVENUE

Xbox Live is now available in 24 countries worldwide, including South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

To foster Xbox's growth in Asia-Pacific, Microsoft announced a development initiative on Wednesday, forming a partnership with the Hong Kong government to nurture local game development talent. The company has similar programs in Taiwan and South Korea.

Part of Xbox Live's rapid growth stems from the fact that the Internet capability requires only a console upgrade costing about $50, with no playing fees beyond the $20 or so players pay for each game.

PC-based online game companies make most of their money from fees based on time spent playing.

Chan said Microsoft had yet to formulate a strategy for its next generation of consoles, particularly the issue of whether or not to charge playing fees.

She said the company had also yet to decide on a strategy for China, a market with huge potential but also one that many game publishers have avoided due to rampant piracy.

Electronic Arts and others have been more positive about China's potential for online games, since such games are often complicated and difficult to pirate.

"We are constantly evaluating China and other markets, but have no decision yet," Chan said. "China has huge potential for gaming. They have 1.3 billion people and 200,000 Internet cafes. There's a lot of potential out there."

I have got to start using my XBox live service, which I just renewed for it's second year (that $30 special rate that we all got).

I've only spent about 2 hours on XBox live in the last year.
I just haven't found the right kind of games that would keep me on for hours (Age of Empires, adventure games, etc.) The racing, fighting games just don't do it for me.

What upcoming games XBox live games are coming out that I may like (43 year old)?

Chris
Old 10-06-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad to see at least something's goin right for the Xbox in asia
Old 10-06-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
dammit! How did you guys renew for $30?

I'm glad it's taking off in Asian and I hope it stays that way. Because then all the "asia hates Microsoft/Xbox" folks can shut the fuck up.
Old 10-06-04, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
dammit! How did you guys renew for $30?

I'm glad it's taking off in Asian and I hope it stays that way. Because then all the "asia hates Microsoft/Xbox" folks can shut the fuck up.
There was a post about 2 months ago with a special link to a one year renewal for around $30 or so.

Chris
Old 10-07-04, 03:48 PM

Along the same lines

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4772

Gates confirms plans for Xbox Live spectator modes

Rob Fahey 13:32 06/10/2004

Microsoft founder's comments give more credence to reports of "Xbox Live TV"

Comments made by Microsoft founder and chairman Bill Gates during a lecture at the University of California, Berkeley, have confirmed that the company is planning to add spectator modes to Xbox Live in the future.

Responding to a question about which Microsoft products he's proudest of, Gates told the audience that he has a personal interest in developing new interactive features for the Xbox, citing the ability to assemble online audiences to spectate on games as an example.

This seemingly confirms reports that the company is planning to add spectator modes to Live, under the banner of Xbox Live TV, which originated from a job posting seeking engineers to implement such a system.

It's expected that the system will not only allow users to spectate on games - as has been possible with many PC titles for years - but will also provide additional graphics and displays, similar to a sports TV channel.

However, it's still not clear whether Xbox Live TV will be implemented in titles for the current Xbox platform, or if it's planned as a feature for the next-generation Xbox console.

Chris
Old 10-07-04, 03:50 PM

And also

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4774

"We won't repeat Japanese failure next time" - Moore

Rob Fahey 13:59 06/10/2004

Next-generation Xbox to address Japanese concerns over size and software line-up

Microsoft VP Peter Moore, head of the company's worldwide marketing and publishing for Xbox, has told a Japanese business publication that the firm's next console will not repeat the mistakes which were made with Xbox in Japan.

Speaking candidly with Nikkei Business, Moore admitted that a number of factors had prevented the Xbox from being a success in Japan - including the size and design of the hardware and the lack of compelling software for the market.

However, he was adamant that the company has learned from the experience of the current generation, saying that "we won't repeat that failure next time" and confirming that the company plans to make its next console smaller, simpler, and better-supported by local developers.

He told the magazine that Microsoft is already offering support to Japanese developers working on Xbox 2 titles, and emphasised that getting Japanese development support for the console in order to create titles with local appeal is a priority for the firm.

Moore also revealed the gulf between Microsoft's next-generation plans and those of rival Sony, saying that "first and foremost, we're building a gaming machine" - a clear distinction with Sony's multimedia ambitions for the PlayStation brand.

However, he did confirm that the company won't be passing up on obvious chances to leverage its position with Xbox, such as using the broadband network gaming system in the console for Voice Over IP telecommunications.

Chris
Old 10-07-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"first and foremost, we're building a gaming machine", stronger ties to Japanese developers.. haven't really been interested in Xbox 2, but these two points perk my ears. I got my Xbox for some of the exclusive Japanese stuff (actually, I got it exclusively for Jet Set Radio Future, but I try to tell myself otherwise). Mostly Sega titles actually. It's been dry for me on the 'box recently, so this is all good news.
Old 10-07-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm glad to hear it's taking off in Asia! I love my Xbox and Xbox LIVE! Best damn system I've ever played! RainbowSix 3 BA is just so much fun and Battlefront too!
Old 10-07-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
I'm glad to hear it's taking off in Asia! I love my Xbox and Xbox LIVE! Best damn system I've ever played! RainbowSix 3 BA is just so much fun and Battlefront too!

dammit! I hate your sig...

Anyway, I agree XBOX live is great. Especailly for people like me who never got into PC online Gaming. Asia taking off is great and it just means more players.
Old 10-07-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBOX in Japan is using Live to attract the customers.I was with a sales girl from Microsoft and she invited me to play online.And I asked will she be there more and she said she is promoting XBOX as live and she will be there the whole month!
So Microsoft is really going for broadband live games
Old 10-07-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: And also

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Moore also revealed the gulf between Microsoft's next-generation plans and those of rival Sony, saying that "first and foremost, we're building a gaming machine" - a clear distinction with Sony's multimedia ambitions for the PlayStation brand.
That is something I can respect.
Old 10-07-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: And also

Originally posted by darkside
That is something I can respect.
Major agreement.