Old 10-06-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Julie Andrews Cinderella on DVD and PBS in December

Per Playbill.com:

Julie Andrews "Cinderella" to Air on PBS in December
By Andrew Gans
06 Oct 2004

The original 1957 television version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Cinderella" — starring Julie Andrews — will air on PBS stations across the country in December.

A spokesperson for PBS' "Great Performances" series confirmed to Playbill On-Line that the made-for-TV musical will be broadcast nationally Dec. 13. Those in the metropolitan area will see the acclaimed production a few days earlier: WNET/Thirteen will air the black-and-white "Cinderella" as part of its pledge drive on Dec. 5 from 8-9:30 PM ET. Check local listings for broadcast dates and times throughout the country.

Academy Award winner Andrews, who stars in the title role, will host the broadcast of the'50s musical. The program will also include interviews with three of the show's stars, who reminisce about the filming of "Cinderella": Jon Cypher, Kaye Ballard and Edie Adams.

Directed by Richard Nelson, the musical version of "Cinderella" — featuring a score by Rodgers and Hammerstein — originally aired on CBS March 31, 1957. The broadcast drew more than 107 million viewers. The cast featured Julie Andrews as Cinderella, Howard Lindsay as the King, Dorothy Stickney as the Queen, Ilka Chase as the Stepmother, Kaye Ballard and Alice Ghostley as the Stepsisters, Edie Adams as the Fairy Godmother, Jon Cypher as Prince Christopher, Robert Penn as Town Crier, Alexander Clark as the Captain of the Guard, Iggie Wolfington as the Chef and David F. Perkins as the Court Tailor.

Lesley Ann Warren (1965) and pop singer Brandy (1997) starred as Cinderella in the subsequent TV versions.

Song titles from "Cinderella" include "The Prince Is Giving a Ball," "In My Own Little Corner," "Impossible," "It's Possible," "Gavotte," "Ten Minutes Ago I Saw You," "Stepsisters' Lament," "Waltz for a Ball," "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?," "When You're Driving Through the Moonlight," "A Lovely Night" and "The Search."

Image Entertainment will also release "Cinderella" on VHS and DVD in December.
Old 10-06-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news - thanks for the info!
Old 10-06-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I remember Kay Ballard & Alice Ghostley being a real hoot as the stepsisters...