Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What Laserdisc player should I get?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 12:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For right now I'm looking for a player that is by far above average, maybe alittle below greatness.

I dont have a surround sounds system. So sound isnt really a big deal to me... I'm sure after this purchase though it will be. lol

But the big thing I would like to have though is:

DVD/LD/CD combo (it would be cool but not extremely nessacary)

I WANT AN ALL REGION/REGION FREE PLAYER! (There is a ton of cool LD's from other countries (Japan) that werent avaliable in the states.

The second want is more relavant then the first. But if there is a player with both that would be super!

If someone can give me a good idea of what i should be looking for that would be great...

BTW... I went and did a search. But none of the response's I found really touched base on Region Free players. If someone know of someone who had one that would be awesome also.

Someone please give me some information on this matter.

Thanks in advance and I hope to hear from someone soon,

Charles H. Meacham
Got_Criterion
Gold Trader

Frighteners Universal Special Edition LD... here I Come!! lol
Old 10-06-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think LD's had region coding on them, did they?
Old 10-06-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
See the link in my signature.

LD/DVD combi players are a bad idea. You'll spend less money and get better quality by purchasing separate units.

Laserdiscs did not have region coding, but they are restricted by PAL and NTSC limitations. Laserdiscs from Japan are NTSC and will function in any American LD player.
Old 10-07-04, 01:07 AM
Banned

Josh Z: very informative, I've had a hard time trying to find stuff that is suitable for my consumption. I do appreciate everything.

Anyone else have a player that they completely loved?
Old 10-07-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
I don't remember the model but I had a Pioneer that worked great.
Old 10-07-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a Pioneer elite 59 that works well.
Old 10-07-04, 11:56 AM
Banned

Isnt the Elite series suppose to be Pioneers 'Big Dog'? Meaning they put alot of cool features that the normal pioneer units alone didnt have?

Does this Player have the option of where you dont have to get up and flip the disc over?

Whats the price range on one of these?

Josh Z, has got me not wanting the Combo unit, now its time for me to find a unit that is ridiculously nice , but right before they get over priced. (909 or 919 ? is that the DVL #?)
Old 10-07-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Got_Criterion
Isnt the Elite series suppose to be Pioneers 'Big Dog'? Meaning they put alot of cool features that the normal pioneer units alone didnt have?

Does this Player have the option of where you dont have to get up and flip the disc over?

Whats the price range on one of these?

Josh Z, has got me not wanting the Combo unit, now its time for me to find a unit that is ridiculously nice , but right before they get over priced. (909 or 919 ? is that the DVL #?)
The 909 and 919 are both combi players. The problem with the 909 is that it doesn't do DTS. I have the 919 and it is a very nice unit. The 919 plays both sides and I'm pretty sure the 909 does also.
Old 10-07-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes and no. The "Elite" units were in some cases the same as their non-Elite counterparts, except with a shinier faceplate and gold-plated connectors. The CLD-59 (which I have owned) is basically the same as a CLD-D604. Higher-end Elite units such as the CLD-97 and CLD-99 have improved electronics inside.

There are many LD players with dual-side playback.

I think the first question to ask is what type of TV/display will you be watching on?
Old 10-08-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure if this meets your needs at all (and it *is* a combi), but I've been very happy with the Pioneer DVL-700:

http://www.oz.net/blam/LaserDisc/DVL-700.htm

It was my first DVD player too... got it back in 1999 (still working like a charm). Very good LD quality, although the DVD player is just servicable, nothing major. But you can find them around without breaking the bank.
Old 10-08-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bboisvert
I'm not sure if this meets your needs at all (and it *is* a combi), but I've been very happy with the Pioneer DVL-700:

http://www.oz.net/blam/LaserDisc/DVL-700.htm

It was my first DVD player too... got it back in 1999 (still working like a charm). Very good LD quality, although the DVD player is just servicable, nothing major. But you can find them around without breaking the bank.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't pass DTS, does it?
Old 10-08-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The DVL-700 will pass DTS from a laserdisc, but not a DVD.
Old 10-08-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh Z
The DVL-700 will pass DTS from a laserdisc, but not a DVD.
Right, now I remember. That's why I waited for the DVL-919 before getting a combi player.
Old 10-11-04, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh Z
Yes and no. The "Elite" units were in some cases the same as their non-Elite counterparts, except with a shinier faceplate and gold-plated connectors. The CLD-59 (which I have owned) is basically the same as a CLD-D604. Higher-end Elite units such as the CLD-97 and CLD-99 have improved electronics inside.

There are many LD players with dual-side playback.

I think the first question to ask is what type of TV/display will you be watching on?
I have a Sony 51" HD WS Rear Projection Television, I've heard from some sites that the picture quality is greatly reduced because of the signial.

Thanks for the replies... keep them coming. I'm looking online for a player as we speak.
Old 10-11-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know where I can get laserdiscs in New Jersey?
Old 10-12-04, 02:28 AM
Banned

yeah on ebay... sent directly to your house! lol

Some smartass told me that once... It freakin' pist me off! lol
Old 10-12-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Sony 51" HD WS Rear Projection Television, I've heard from some sites that the picture quality is greatly reduced because of the signial.
Read this article:

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html

Should explain everything.
Old 10-12-04, 02:47 PM
Banned

Josh Z: Bro, you are a freakin' god.

Unfortunately...

What do i mean unfortunately?!? I just upgraded televisions! PIMP ISH!

This is the television I'm getting:

Hitachi 50" LCD 50V500 w/stand

I'm taking it I need to get DVI-D video cables for best possible picture? I dont use DVI now, I use the AV but with 5 plugs instead of 3 (red/white/yellow) And i dont have a regular DVD player I have an Xbox that i use.

So that is why I need alot of help in this matter. I want to get my Laser Collection off and running, and I want to get serious again with my DVD's. I dont want to dilute them with a somewhat simple DVD unit.

OH... GO SOX!
Old 10-13-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always had great performance for the Pioneer 7-series. I still have the 702, 703 and DVL 700. Unfortunately, the the disc grabbing mechanism on the older ones seem to be going as they have a hard time spinning up/down the discs and doing the auto-turns.
Old 10-13-04, 07:08 PM
Banned

So I'm looking for the CLD-D704, CLD-97, CLD-99.

Now the real question, I need one for a reasonable price.

Jesus this is going to take forever! lol

Does anyone know anyone that wants to unload one?
Old 10-14-04, 04:52 PM
Bru

I got my 704 back a few years ago for $200
Old 10-14-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I still use my DVL-909 as my main player for both LDs and DVDs and it's been great on my current setup. I have it modified to 'think' it's actually a DVL-91 so it can do DTS DVDs, and also have it fixed for region-select and no Macrovision (since that affects the picture on my TV). I'll probably have to upgrade to a newer DVD player once I get an HDTV but it does the job just fine for now, only had a couple disc compatibility problems with it.
The LD playback is very good, but not perfect- my one gripe is the spinning-disc graphic it shows onscreen while changing sides. Overall plays better than my older CLD-D502 though, which also doesn't have digital sound outputs.
Old 10-16-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bru
I got my 704 back a few years ago for $200
I bought my first CLD-D704 in 1995 for $1000, and I bought my second one used in 1999 for $400.

Best money I ever spent.

Suggestion is to buy a RF Demodulator for the AC-3 conversion. The best is the Lexicon LDD-1, from what I hear, because it will auto switch between Optical Input (DTS) and AC-3 RF Input (Dolby Digital). I have the Yamaha ADP-1 AC3 Demodulator, but the only issue with it is that you will need to have 2 inputs into your Receiver/Processor (1 for converted AC-3 for Dolby Digital and 1 for DTS).
Old 10-17-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm taking it I need to get DVI-D video cables for best possible picture? I dont use DVI now, I use the AV but with 5 plugs instead of 3 (red/white/yellow) And i dont have a regular DVD player I have an Xbox that i use.
The X-Box sucks as a DVD player. You need a real DVD player, preferably with DVI output but at the very least with component video.
Old 10-19-04, 05:55 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on the Denon LA-3100? I haven't been able to find a review on it, but looks like a nice machine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.