Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Old 10-05-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wolverine - Solo

WRITER NAMED FOR WOLVERINE MOVIE

According to Variety, Troy writer David Benioff has been tapped by 20th Century Fox to write Wolverine a spinoff from the studio's X-Men film franchise.

The trade reports that Hugh Jackman is expected to reprise the role he played in the two X-Men films. Addiitonally, Variety reports that the film will most likely be produced by Lauren Shuler Donner and Avi Arad, the production team of the X-Men films - though the specific negotiations have not to date been completed.

The film will be one of two X-Men films moving forward at Fox, as it was recently announced that the studio is moving ahead with X-Men 3, with Simon Kinberg writing the screenplay. As previously reported, Brian Singer will not be directing the third installment of X-Men.
Now the question is what are they going to do with this story considering the history of wolvie has been restamped over and over again.
Old 10-05-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know most here liked it, but I thought Troy was awful, so I'm not exactly thrilled with this news.

I am all for a Wolverine spin-off, provided they at least use some characters from the comics. I'm a huge X-men/comic book geek (I co-own a comic book store), but I don't really care whether they stick with the history of Wolverine that much, as long as it's a good movie, & I'm MUCH more concerned w/ who the director is. For me that makes or breaks a comic book movie.
Old 10-05-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who knows. I'm a bit wary of this one though. Jackman is great in the role, though I think he at times plays it a bit to...soft (crying...crying? there's no crying in Xmen!)

Nonetheless, I hope they get X3 before they bother with this. It would be cool, the only thing is that the Xmen movies were in many ways Wolverine movies so this could be odd to tell the difference. Perhaps they should scale him back a lil for X3.
Old 10-05-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
I know most here liked it, but I thought Troy was awful, so I'm not exactly thrilled with this news.

I am all for a Wolverine spin-off, provided they at least use some characters from the comics. I'm a huge X-men/comic book geek (I co-own a comic book store), but I don't really care whether they stick with the history of Wolverine that much, as long as it's a good movie, & I'm MUCH more concerned w/ who the director is. For me that makes or breaks a comic book movie.
I thought Troy was terribly average - the writing wasn't that good.

I'm more worried about who the director will be, too.
Old 10-05-04, 05:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This could be cool if they adapted the first Wolverine mini-series comic.

And wasn't there news of Fox hiring Joss Whedon to direct X3, but it won't start until he finishes Firefly (or Serenity, I forget the title)?
Old 10-05-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe have Wolverine in Japan
Old 10-05-04, 05:18 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by fumanstan
Maybe have Wolverine in Japan
That's the mini-series I was referring to.
Old 10-05-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whatever happens, they should have a subplot involving gay henchmen, blackmail and fire hydrants.
Old 10-05-04, 05:25 PM

Weapon X Bitches!
Old 10-05-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Whatever happens, they should have a subplot involving gay henchmen, blackmail and fire hydrants.
We're talking Wolverine here.. not Batman.
Old 10-05-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Suprmallet
This could be cool if they adapted the first Wolverine mini-series comic.

And wasn't there news of Fox hiring Joss Whedon to direct X3, but it won't start until he finishes Firefly (or Serenity, I forget the title)?
X-Men 3 has a writer! .... Rather, it’s Simon Kinberg!!!

When Bryan Singer decided to throw his chips in with Superman, and leave the X-Men franchise recently, there were those who were worried about the state of X-Men 3.

After all, Singer took his writers, Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty, with him, while Fox had not closed any deals for any of the principal actors - Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen et al - to return. The future looked about as bleak as Days of Future Past (Geek alert!)

But, given that the the X-movies have grossed almost a billion dollars worldwide, theatrically, Fox and Marvel were never going to let the series die. And so it was announced today that the merry mutants have a new writer - Simon Kinberg.

Simon Who? Well, it’s certainly not the Joss Whedon appointment that many fanboys had been trumpeting - hardly surprising, though, as the Buffymeister is busy on his pet project, Serenity (and, given that, according to a very good source, he wrote that Godawful ‘Do you know what happens to a Toad when it’s hit by lightning?’ line in the original, it might be a blessing in disguise). But nor is it a big-name writer.

Yet Kinberg is quietly making a name for himself in Hollywood - and with Fox and Marvel especially. He’s already carried out rewrites on both Elektra and Fantastic Four, has written xXx: State of the Union for Sony, and is a huge comic book fan.
Old 10-05-04, 05:45 PM
Banned by request

Color me corrected.
Old 10-05-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it should be the Weapon X storyline and have it filmed before X3. At least it would semi make sense following
Spoiler:
the death of Jean
. At least it could take him to Japan to meet the Yashida clan and maybe even have him go up against Bullseye.
Old 10-05-04, 07:58 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I love the Xmen enough that anything Xmen is good BUT cmon Xmen 1 and 2 were hugely Wolverine related, not that keen on more just Wolvy unless there are other interesting characters, villians etc
Old 10-05-04, 07:58 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ok a question

in comic book history, who are the biggest enemies of Solo Wolverine ?

other than Lady Deathstrike
Old 10-05-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Silver Samurai
Sabretooth
Hulk
Cypher
Old 10-05-04, 08:11 PM
Banned by request

I would like to see The Silver Samurai in a movie that takes place in Japan. And give Wolvie the red/brown suit.
Old 10-05-04, 08:15 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the Wolverine movie takes place before the X movies and they try to maintain continuity, I wouldn't expect any sort of costume, considering his reaction to the suits in the first movie.
Old 10-05-04, 08:37 PM
Banned by request

I know they won't give him a suit, but a man can wish, can't he?
Old 10-05-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

no, shut up before I slap you again bizarro suprmallet.

You also have to toss out Sabretooth in any sort of prequel since his reaction to the attack in X-men.
Old 10-05-04, 09:10 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
no, shut up before I slap you again bizarro suprmallet.

You also have to toss out Sabretooth in any sort of prequel since his reaction to the attack in X-men.
Goddamn you, Bat 'Tard!

We're not even sure it is a prequel. I think the Weapon X angle was pretty well covered in X2. I would hope they go with something else.
Old 10-05-04, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
think the Weapon X angle was pretty well covered in X2.
Not really....

...c'mon training?

....c'mon secret missions?

...c'mon escaping?

just so much to use!

Maybe the whole story doesn't need to be WeaponX, but lets see some more!
Old 10-05-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He's a good writer (The 25th Hour). That's a good choice to have him do it. Looking forward to this more than Elektra.
Old 10-06-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
haven't we already gotten two wolverine movies? I'm not a comic book nut, but the focus of the first two movies was clearly on Wolverine.
Old 10-06-04, 03:04 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
haven't we already gotten two wolverine movies? I'm not a comic book nut, but the focus of the first two movies was clearly on Wolverine.
What? The last two have clearly been "The Cyclops Show."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.