Madden 04 versus Madden 05, PC versions

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm considing getting Madden football now that it finally has a career mode like the Front Page Sports Football games had 10 years ago.
Does 05 have anything to really justify paying $30 more for it than 04?
Old 10-04-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I own both and decided to upgrade for the updated rosters and the new defensive features. Personally, i think they're worth it, but i suppose it depends on how deep and involved with the game you want to be.
Old 10-05-04, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I've played, it's probably not worth it to upgrade. There really doesn't seem to be much different this year other then cosmetic things. The Storyline Central and Tony Bruno radio show is mostly fluff. The gameplay is mostly the same; the defense is improved, both AI and in your abilities, but on the flip side that makes running the ball frustrating. There's some subtle things like formation shifts that are nice, but don't change paradigms or anything. They've improved the draft in franchise mode and they let you make custom packages.

If you were upgrading from 2003 it would definitely be worth it, but I was a little disappointed coming from 2004. If you need the new rosters and defensive things, then obviously you should get it, but I definitely think this was one of the "half-step" years; one of the incremental upgrades.

Last edited by BabiG; 10-05-04 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-05-04, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only played it on Xbox. I don't think theres much of a difference between the 2 platforms.

I've owned the past 5. I pick up each year, just so I don't fall behind when the next iteration comes around. If you're good enough at '04 to have used every gameplay feature successfully, then pick up '05 for all the upgrades. If you're still new to the game, then stick with '04. You won't notice any difference.

If you have played '04 extensively...
The major upgrade in '05 is to the defense. They added the hit-stick, which is just a 4th tackle button (higher risk - reward). They added a whole new set of individual and team adjustments at the line of scrimmage (pretty big feature). They removed the added stat bonus' for when you call out run's or passes. The defensive AI is pretty smart, it now requires a precise pass and good playcalling to make a drive work.

On the offensive side...They've added 2 things. 1 is a formation shift, which is pretty useless. The other is a hot reciever. You can easily give the hot reciever a hot route. All you do is flick the right analog in a direction and you give the reciever a choice of 4 plays from the passing tree.

The gameplay is a little better now too. It's a little more difficult to chuck the ball up and have your reciever come down with the play. You'll have to have the safeties beat, and throw up a good pass, to have it work. The defensive adjustments have really made the game real tight against 2 good players. If I play some friends who aren't as into madden, I can blow them out real easily though.

I'd say get the game if you're a big madden fan. Hold off if you're not up there yet. 2004 was an amazing game. I considered it the best sports game until '05 came out. There's a lot of new things to learn in '05, but you should be real good by your 10th game or so.
Old 10-05-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks everyone
I think I'll get 04 since it's so much cheaper. I just want to be able to play a decent football game with the franchise/career mode since the frontpage sports games were dos based and won't run in windows