DVD Talk
Why did Envy with Ben Stiller bomb? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Why did Envy with Ben Stiller bomb?


corycouger
10-04-04, 03:23 PM
Who could not like a Barry Levinson directed comedy about shit?




I did not think it was great or really bad but with Ben Stiller and Jack Black headlining, you would have thought those stars alone would have brought people to the theater.

Trigger
10-04-04, 03:26 PM
They delayed the release for like over a year and kept changing their minds about when to release it... they kept advertising and pulling ads and then advertising again. I think the public either felt like they had already seen it, thought it was just an old movie on re-release, or weren't gonna fall for it this time.

fumanstan
10-04-04, 03:30 PM
I was wondering that as well for the same reasons. Ben Stiller and Jack Black are both certainly 'in' comedians right now.

Charlie Goose
10-04-04, 03:33 PM
Because I sacrificed a goat to Satan.

Yes, it is worth my immortal soul to destroy Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Worth it, I tell you!

Jackskeleton
10-04-04, 03:44 PM
Because you touch yourself at night.

It wasn't a good movie and it's marketing was terrible "Oh my gawd!! POOP AWAY!!!"

Trigger
10-04-04, 03:49 PM
Va-POO-rize, actually.

Rivero
10-04-04, 04:11 PM
It's very simple.

It wasn't funny.

These days people find out via Internet months in advance.

Word gets out.

It bombed as expected.

NEXT!

chente
10-04-04, 04:14 PM
It was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen and it wasn't dumb in a good way.

Birrman54
10-04-04, 04:17 PM
unfunny comedies tend to bomb.

birrman54

Jackskeleton
10-04-04, 04:22 PM
I agree


-birrman54

Rivero
10-04-04, 05:24 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/630529142X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

mthiel
10-04-04, 05:41 PM
But 'The Waterboy' had the benefit of the Star Wars Episode 1 teaser...

MasterCXtreme
10-04-04, 05:47 PM
I'd take Waterboy over Envy anyday. Very dissappointed, but we all knew it was bad anyway. What's the deal?

Joe Molotov
10-04-04, 05:53 PM
Gigli had Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez...what happened? I thought people loved them!

Matthew Chmiel
10-04-04, 06:21 PM
Envy makes The Waterboy look like Citizen Kane.

Envy was a gigantic pile of shit that even the studio had no faith in (thus the changing of release dates throughout the almost past two years). The film is completely terrible and there was not one funny moment during the ninety minute runtime. It's no wonder why Envy tanked and Mean Girls did extremely well the weekend the two were released.

Michael Corvin
10-04-04, 07:49 PM
Don't forget that Envy was slated for a straight to video release until Jack Black got red hot last year. That says more than any internet review could ever say.

dcprules
10-04-04, 10:39 PM
I remember seing an Envy trailer before T3, and than it got delayed. It was going to come out early in the spring, and than it got delayed to the end of April. Plus, there was a lot of early buzz saying that it might even go direct to video.

The reason it bombed was it had very little promotion right before the movie came out, but mostly because it was a terrible movie. Even though it had Stiller, Black, and was directed by Levinson (a respectable director), audiences were not interested in seeing a movie about poop. Plus, you can really tell a movie is going to be a stinker when the trailer was bad.

Matthew Chmiel
10-04-04, 11:15 PM
The reason it bombed was it had very little promotion right before the movie came out.
Not really. DreamWorks kept the same trailer running for one year straight and on top of that, the film was heavily promoted on television prior to it's theatrical release. There might've not been a lot of print or radio ads, but I saw quite a few commercials promoting the flick on television. This wasn't a Big Trouble scenario which was a good film that was heavily promoted prior to it's original September release and then delayed (due to 9/11) to an April spot where the film quietly snuck in and left without anyone knowing about it. DreamWorks actually went an extra mile to push this movie out and as they knew it, it tanked.

DreamWorks, from my past experience, is an on/off studio.

They can make some great films or they can make some really terrible pieces of shit. No in-between.

scott shelton
10-05-04, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
DreamWorks kept the same trailer running for one year straight

Er, I wouldn't say "kept."

Sunday Morning
10-05-04, 08:58 PM
not enough people get hit in the head or fall down in the trailer.

fumanstan
10-05-04, 09:31 PM
Well a lot of "bad" movies do decently at the box office. I would have thought that Envy would have brought in an audience based on the actors alone.

John Spartan
10-05-04, 09:55 PM
The story looks like it's mean-spirited and the character that most of the audience would probably identify with (ie, not the multi-millionaire) is clearly supposed to be the jerk. In this money-obsessed world, I don't think people want to be reminded of all the investment opportunities they may have missed and how they might go nuts if they missed a big one. You know what I'm saying? But maybe the multi-millionaire artistes making the movie missed that point. ;)

Jericho
10-05-04, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by corycouger

I did not think it was great or really bad but with Ben Stiller and Jack Black headlining, you would have thought those stars alone would have brought people to the theater.

Well it's not like Jack Black is exactly box office gold. Many of his recent movies: High Fidelity, Orange County , and Saving Silverman didn't light up the box office. The only movies he was in to crack $100 million were Ice Age (voice) and Enemy of the State (small role).

Stiller has much better track record, but also has some crap mixed in like Duplex, Mystery Men, Keeping the Faith, and Zoolander. Okay, crap is too harsh a word, and I do like some of those movies, but the point in both actors have several less successful box office movies.

Combine that with a crappy movie, and you have a shitty box office. In fact, its likely neither Stiller or Black have a huge effect on box office. Only the quality and marketability of the movie does.

calhoun07
10-05-04, 11:41 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JM9Z.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
The movie isn't even worthy of the obligatory floating head shots.

Matthew Chmiel
10-05-04, 11:46 PM
The movie isn't even worthy of the obligatory floating head shots.
But it's wild and wacky! What's not to love about that?

fumanstan
10-05-04, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Jericho
Well it's not like Jack Black is exactly box office gold. Many of his recent movies: High Fidelity, Orange County , and Saving Silverman didn't light up the box office. The only movies he was in to crack $100 million were Ice Age (voice) and Enemy of the State (small role).

Stiller has much better track record, but also has some crap mixed in like Duplex, Mystery Men, Keeping the Faith, and Zoolander. Okay, crap is too harsh a word, and I do like some of those movies, but the point in both actors have several less successful box office movies.

Combine that with a crappy movie, and you have a shitty box office. In fact, its likely neither Stiller or Black have a huge effect on box office. Only the quality and marketability of the movie does.

High Fidelity and Saving Silverman were far before Jack Black started to become "known." Orange County was around the time that he started gaining noteriety, and the fact that Envy would have been coming after School of Rock, which was a huge hit, would have seemed like it would get people interested.
Stiller probably has as many bombs under his belt as hits, but he's certainly a recognizable actor that would have garnered a little interest from the general audience.

Michael Corvin
10-05-04, 11:58 PM
how about the fact that the movie is about a spray that gets rid of dog poop?

Smells like a blockbuster to me!

tsohg
10-06-04, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Rivero
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/630529142X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
GAAAATORAAAID

Jericho
10-06-04, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by fumanstan
High Fidelity and Saving Silverman were far before Jack Black started to become "known." Orange County was around the time that he started gaining noteriety, and the fact that Envy would have been coming after School of Rock, which was a huge hit, would have seemed like it would get people interested.
Stiller probably has as many bombs under his belt as hits, but he's certainly a recognizable actor that would have garnered a little interest from the general audience.

I'll grant you that Jack Black hasn't become "known" until recently, but what does that get him? I mean he's had one successful movie, School of Rock. Did Jack Black make that movie, or was the movie quality on its own? I think one hit is a bit premature to label him a box office attraction.

Besides, what does being known do for you? Ray Romano is known, but he's no box office draw. I mean honestly, how many people go see a movie simply because Jack Black or Ben Stiller are in it? I'd venture to theorize that people went to se School of Rock or Dodgeball because the movies looked interesting, not because of who's in it.

ruddiger_718
10-07-04, 12:43 AM
I'm still going to watch it... eventually.

fumanstan
10-07-04, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Jericho
I'll grant you that Jack Black hasn't become "known" until recently, but what does that get him? I mean he's had one successful movie, School of Rock. Did Jack Black make that movie, or was the movie quality on its own? I think one hit is a bit premature to label him a box office attraction.

Besides, what does being known do for you? Ray Romano is known, but he's no box office draw. I mean honestly, how many people go see a movie simply because Jack Black or Ben Stiller are in it? I'd venture to theorize that people went to se School of Rock or Dodgeball because the movies looked interesting, not because of who's in it.

I'd say its a combination of seeing recognizable actors + interesting subject.

Cornholio
10-07-04, 02:28 PM
my brother saw it last night and said it sucked i rented saved it was good.

Michael Corvin
10-07-04, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by fumanstan
I'd say its a combination of seeing recognizable actors + interesting subject.

exactly.
Envy breakdown:
recognizable actors: :up:
Interesting subject: :down: Did I mention that it is about a poop spray?

The bad in this situation outweighs the good.

nightmaster
10-07-04, 07:04 PM
Stiller is a very busy actor it seems, a bit against the grain these days. Duplex pretty much tanked as well and he had Drew Barrymore co-starring- another movie that seemed to break with little fanfare. Sometimes the busy actors put out some real mediocre movies.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0