Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Weird Problem with episode 6

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-04, 07:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Problem with episode 6

I just exchanged my set because Episode 6 had pixalation in certain seens on my Samsung dvd player.Well i tried the new set on the samsung and it does the same thing.But i tried it on my old toshiba and it was fine.Now i know the samsung is clean and so is the toshiba.What gives Episode 4 and 5 work fine on the samsung and so do all my other 200+ dvds.Should i exchange it again.What do you think the problem is?Also the samsung is only like half a year old.
Old 10-07-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you ever...

played "burned" CDs on your Samsung? CDs of downloaded music and even regular CDs that are copied on virus infected PCs can harm your DVD player.
Old 10-07-04, 06:40 PM
Cool New Member

I havent Played any of those on it though only dvds
Old 10-08-04, 12:03 AM
Suspended

Re: Have you ever...

Originally posted by Duality
played "burned" CDs on your Samsung? CDs of downloaded music and even regular CDs that are copied on virus infected PCs can harm your DVD player.
How is this possible? I've NEVER heard this before from any other source. Or are you being silly? Proof? Links?
Old 10-08-04, 05:24 AM

What a load of BS that is.
Old 10-08-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha Ha Ha.....NO.
Old 10-08-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Joshua19...

Viruses have been intentionally placed on studio DVDs that actually had to be recalled. I believe it was Disney a couple years ago who had to recall a batch that had a virus on it.

As for the other comments regarding viruses on downloaded music CDs and infected PCs, all I can say is that you people are living in denial.
Old 10-08-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A) There's a virus floating around that targets Return of the Jedi and causes it to pixellate on Samsung players?

B) Disney intentionally put a virus on their DVD, just so they could experience the joy of recalling the disc at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars?
Old 10-08-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Joshua19...

Viruses have been intentionally placed on studio DVDs that actually had to be recalled. I believe it was Disney a couple years ago who had to recall a batch that had a virus on it.

As for the other comments regarding viruses on downloaded music CDs and infected PCs, all I can say is that you people are living in denial.
you get your own seat in the back of the short bus...move along now
Old 10-08-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DigIt
A) There's a virus floating around that targets Return of the Jedi and causes it to pixellate on Samsung players?

B) Disney intentionally put a virus on their DVD, just so they could experience the joy of recalling the disc at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars?
Obviously the internet breeds laziness and idiocy. The above quote is not what I said. You people deserve the hacked machines you own.

Read: Hacking Exposed or countless other books on the subject and turn the computer (internet) off for a change.
Old 10-08-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obviously the internet breeds laziness and idiocy. The above quote is not what I said. You people deserve the hacked machines you own.

Read: Hacking Exposed or countless other books on the subject and turn the computer (internet) off for a change.
Give us a link that proves that little farce of yours and we will all shut up about it. Until then, ridicule shall have you in it's cold and lonely grasp!
Old 10-08-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One example:

Powerpuff Girls, The - Meet the Beat-Alls
[Warner]
Problem: The DVD had contained a virus called "Fun Love". This would not affect standalone DVD players at all, but if it was accessed on a computer the virus would spread. It has been recalled.
Solution: If you believe you have a copy with the virus, contacting Warner Bros. should get you a replacement as this was a pretty big thing in the news.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showth...threadid=155199

Happy? Now find all the viruses on your computer! You've been hacked!
Old 10-08-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: One example:

Powerpuff Girls, The - Meet the Beat-Alls
[Warner]
Problem: The DVD had contained a virus called "Fun Love". This would not affect standalone DVD players at all, but if it was accessed on a computer the virus would spread. It has been recalled.
Solution: If you believe you have a copy with the virus, contacting Warner Bros. should get you a replacement as this was a pretty big thing in the news.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showth...threadid=155199

Actually no. Try again. You said the virus could affect stand alone players. This DVD you provide has a virus that only affects PC's not stand alone players. You didn't prove anything.

You said...

"played "burned" CDs on your Samsung? CDs of downloaded music and even regular CDs that are copied on virus infected PCs can harm your DVD player."
Old 10-08-04, 05:05 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

virus on dvds that affect players? I don't think so.
Old 10-08-04, 05:41 PM

Yes anything can infect a PC. But it wouldn't be easy to infect a standalone player.
Old 10-10-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: One example:

Originally posted by Mopower
Actually no. Try again. You said the virus could affect stand alone players. This DVD you provide has a virus that only affects PC's not stand alone players. You didn't prove anything.

You said...

"played "burned" CDs on your Samsung? CDs of downloaded music and even regular CDs that are copied on virus infected PCs can harm your DVD player."
Yup, and if he says "I meant a DVD in a cmputer" then he is full of shit too because a virus doesn't affect hardware, just software so technically, it can't harm the DVD player, even in a PC.

This seems like a load of horse shit to me.
Old 10-12-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
From the official DVD FAQ:

[1.52] Can my DVD player get a virus?
There's almost no chance your DVD player can be infected with a virus of the kind that infect computer software. DVD players have simple computers in them that run commands from the disc as it plays, but memory is reset when you press Stop or eject the disc. The firmware in some DVD players can be upgraded by inserting a special disc (see 1.47), so it's theoretically possible someone could make a disc that damages the firmware of a player, but it's highly unlikely and would only have an effect on a few models.
I doubt that a virus on a burned CD or DVD that is obtained by burning the disc on a virus-infected PC would affect a DVD player, as the virus would be designed to run on PCs and not standalone DVD players.
Old 10-13-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey my Office Space DVD is loaded with viruses and the player even dials out to contact the authorities.
Old 10-13-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RKillgore
Hey my Office Space DVD is loaded with viruses and the player even dials out to contact the authorities.
That joke would be even funnier if your stand alone DVD player had a phone jack.
Old 10-14-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Obviously the internet breeds laziness and idiocy.
Obivously!

Last edited by DigIt; 11-09-04 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: One example:

OMG!!11

Old 10-15-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I put some stale bread in my toaster, now its infected and stops toasting bagels.
Old 10-16-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've owned 2 previous Samsung players, and both gave me nothing but trouble and headaches. So I now on a Denon DVD-1600. Not one single problem.

This probably doesn't help you, but only giving one opinion on Samsung players. From my perspective, they put out good images, but they are a nightmare. From skipping to pixelation to various other problems. It also seems a lot of Samsung and Toshiba owners are having problems with the Star Wars DVDs.
Old 11-08-04, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Terrell
It also seems a lot of Samsung and Toshiba owners are having problems with the Star Wars DVDs.
Add Sony to that list. Mine is a Sony and it refuses to play both ANH and ESB smoothly without glitches. Only ROTJ and the bonus disc run fine on it.