DVD Talk
miami vice - it's going to happen (merged) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : miami vice - it's going to happen (merged)

ruk
10-03-04, 11:25 AM
i am pretty pumped about this

from comingsoon.net

Jamie Foxx Confirms Miami Vice Rumors
Source: Latino Review October 2, 2004

Latino Review got a chance to talk to Ray star Jamie Foxx, who confirmed he will be working together soon again with his Ali and Collateral director Michael Mann.

Foxx says that Universal Pictures is moving forward with its big screen adaptation of hit '80s cop drama Miami Vice, which starred Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas. Previously it was reported that Mann would write, direct, and produce the film.

Now Foxx adds that he's attached to star as Detective Ricardo Tubbs, played by Michael Thomas in the series. "Yeah man, it's happening," he told the site. He was also asked if Mann was still doing the project and he replied, "hopefully he will."

Troy Stiffler
10-03-04, 11:53 AM
Cool. If Mann actually directs, it won't turn into a crappy tough-in-cheek campy reunion.

That being said, I never watched a single episode of Miami Vice.

ruk
10-03-04, 12:55 PM
it was a trend setting show, fast cars, amazing music,

cheapskate
10-03-04, 12:56 PM
Well I know at least one guy is happy about this...

http://www.yellowted.com/images/glenn.jpg

Geofferson
10-03-04, 01:01 PM
It'll be awesome if Mann will confirm involvement in this.

wm lopez
10-03-04, 07:44 PM
Will it be set in the 80's or 21st century?

JumpCutz
10-03-04, 07:49 PM
It will take place in the 23rd century.

Dr. DVD
10-03-04, 08:57 PM
I think it would be best if it happened in the 21st century and was about a different set of cops. Perhaps a cameo by Don Johnson or Edward James Olmos would be in order, but that would be it.

Basically, take the approach that Shaft '00 did and make it another entry in a series as opposed to a flat out re-make.

Rival11
10-03-04, 10:05 PM
You know...and I'm being serious here, I knew it was only a matter of time before Mann would do this (even though it's still a little unclear if Mann wants to get involved) - I've always had a feeling he would want Vice on the big screen and that it was only a matter of time (even if I do eat my own words).

I myself am not too sure about this but who the hell knows, It could work.

AGuyNamedMike
10-04-04, 07:44 AM
[old man that remembers silk T-shirts under pastel blazers at prom] Awww yeah! [/old man that remembers silk T-shirts under pastel blazers at prom]

Michael T Hudson
10-04-04, 08:00 AM
sounds good to me.

corycouger
10-04-04, 03:16 PM
I think it is a bad idea.

Nobody can match Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas.

Are they going to cast Ashton Kutcher as Don Johnson?

Trigger
10-04-04, 03:24 PM
I'm not a big fan of Taye Diggs, but I think he would've been a better choice for the role of Tubbs. Nothing against Jamie Foxx.

Cusm
10-05-04, 09:19 AM
If they do make this, they need to set it in the 80's. The drug/cop world was different back then. The 80's is what made MV. It is like Scarface, it has to be set in the 80's, or else it seems like just another cop/drug tv series.

Charlie Goose
10-05-04, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by troystiffler
Cool. If Mann actually directs, it won't turn into a crappy tough-in-cheek campy reunion.

That being said, I never watched a single episode of Miami Vice.
Same here. I never watch MV, but I still don't want to see it remade as a comedy.

ruk
10-14-04, 07:08 AM
from comingsoon.net

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=6768

Universal Pictures is zeroing in on Colin Farrell (Alexander) to star as Det. James "Sonny" Crockett, and the studio is in talks with Jamie Foxx (Ray) to star as Det. Ricardo Tubbs in the big screen adaptation of hit '80s cop drama Miami Vice.

Michael Mann, who executive produced the NBC show, is in negotiations to write, produce, and direct the feature film. Anthony Yarkovich, creator of the TV series, will executive produce the movie.

The original series, which ran from 1984-89, starred Don Johnson as Crockett and Philip Michael Thomas as Tubbs

this is good news

Supermallet
10-14-04, 03:27 PM
Colin Farrell? I dunno.

DJ_Spyder
10-14-04, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Colin Farrell? I dunno.

It's a toss up with me since he was good in Minority Report but well wait and see how things shake out.

rennervision
10-14-04, 06:59 PM
:hscratch: Why is Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas not being considered? They were Miami Vice. What's next? A Magnum P.I. movie without Tom Selleck? Oh wait...

clappj
02-15-05, 10:28 AM
http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=181499

Wonder is Jamie Foxx will put on a few lbs. to play Tubbs? ;)

Patman
02-15-05, 10:43 AM
For a second, I thought it was Will FERRELL to play Crockett. :D

raven56706
02-15-05, 10:50 AM
i cant see it but hey.... Ben Stiller was in Starsky and Hutch

Geofferson
02-15-05, 11:01 AM
All that matters is that Michael Mann is at the helm. Everything else will fall into place.

Slow Hands
02-15-05, 11:04 AM
I wonder if it will be updated or still set in the 80s.

Charlie Goose
02-15-05, 11:17 AM
I hope it's updated, the 80s soundtrack and jacket sleeves rolled up to the elbow would be too cheesy.
Farrell was in another adaptation, S.W.A.T., which totally rocked.

Dr. DVD
02-15-05, 11:29 AM
I have faith in Mann to deliver the goods, and he has stated that it will be updated as doing an 80s re-hash would be too cheesy. I do hope Mann tries to give the movie a soundtrack full of hot hits though, since that was one of the show's trademarks.
However, they MUST keep the original theme!

EDIT: Also, any chance of them explaining how Crockett and Tubbs were able to go undercover in the Miami underground so often and not get recognized by someone evetually?

fryinpan1
02-15-05, 11:37 AM
Fox TV should have just left Fastlane on the air. It was basically a Miami Vice like show set in current times.

PopcornTreeCt
02-15-05, 11:50 AM
Really hope this a tongue-in-cheek movie.

Kal-El
02-15-05, 12:07 PM
I like both actors and I think the director's great. I'm in.

Rogue588
02-15-05, 02:55 PM
Bad idea.

ELIXER30
02-15-05, 03:02 PM
Have a white guy play tubbs

Giantrobo
02-15-05, 03:48 PM
I hope it's updated, the 80s soundtrack and jacket sleeves rolled up to the elbow would be too cheesy.
Farrell was in another adaptation, S.W.A.T., which totally rocked.

Yep. S.W.A.T. turned out to be a decent flick so I'm hoping Miami Vice can do the same.

Red Dog
02-15-05, 03:50 PM
Jesus - can't they wait at least 20 years from the end of a tv show before they do the movie remake. -ohbfrank-

Red Dog
02-15-05, 03:50 PM
Fox TV should have just left Fastlane on the air. It was basically a Miami Vice like show set in current times.

No kidding.

devilshalo
02-15-05, 03:55 PM
The search is your friend. Really it is. Unless you don't like search. Search has feelings, too. Eventhough it's retarded. :p

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388794

Jericho
02-15-05, 04:02 PM
Since Michael Mann was so involved with Miami Vice and is a pretty good director to boot, it's actually a pretty good pairing despite the fact it is a remake. So I'm interested...

Rogue588
02-15-05, 05:07 PM
But why call it "Miami Vice"?

jaeufraser
02-15-05, 05:13 PM
Hey if Mann is at the helm, I'm all for it. It'll be better than 99% of these tv show movies simply because of that.

John Spartan
02-16-05, 12:44 AM
There was a script review of this a while back which made it sound like "Heat 2: Miami." A crime epic like Heat, jammed with detail, but with the focus on the drug trade. It seemed to imply there would be a helluva lotta gun-obsession in the story, too, which will hopefully translate into another shootout as good as the one in Heat. And you know Mann is going to have atmosphere to burn. I cannot wait to see this film. Bad Boys 2 and Fastlane were poor substitutes. I bet the Vice film will play it more seriously and somehow end up much hipper in the long run.

fryinpan1
02-26-05, 08:23 AM
People magazine and the Colin Farrell Fansite have a first look at Colin Farrell in character on the Long Beach, California set of Universal Pictures' big screen Miami Vice adaptation. Michael Mann (Collateral) wrote and is directing the action-drama which hits theaters on July 28, 2006.

Farrell plays Det. James "Sonny" Crockett and Jamie Foxx is Det. Ricardo Tubbs in the movie version of the '80s cop drama. The original series starred Don Johnson as Crockett and Philip Michael Thomas as Tubbs.

http://www.colinfarrellfansite.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=187

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8525

Geofferson
02-26-05, 09:50 AM
Cool pics!

Sernov
02-26-05, 09:13 PM
People magazine and the Colin Farrell Fansite have a first look at Colin Farrell in character on the Long Beach, California set of Universal Pictures' big screen Miami Vice adaptation.

Long Beach, California?? Miami Vice had a lot of characters, but one of it's most important ones was Miami. Maybe this is an indication of it being set in the 80s as Miami has changed tremendously since then? But I've never been to Long Beach so what do I know...

Slow Hands
02-26-05, 09:17 PM

I never like Fast Lane there was too much action for me and not enough drama. It was like a cop show on Red Bull. NYPD Blue and The Shield are about my pace.

wm lopez
02-26-05, 09:20 PM
Whose is cast as Lt. Castillo?
And as Trudi & Gina?

Slow Hands
02-26-05, 09:23 PM
Whose is cast as Lt. Castillo?
And as Trudi & Gina?

Danny Trejo was cast as Castillo I read on Darkhorizons. I don't think the others have been cast yet.

Rogue588
02-26-05, 10:48 PM
-ohbfrank-

gnradd21
02-26-05, 11:53 PM
Oh fuck no...Crockett with a greasy ponytail? -ohbfrank- Just a female's perspective, but Don Johnson was much hotter in the MV heyday than Colin Farrell and his eyebrow overkill. Oh well...whatever. I just hope he either gets the American accent down or does it full on Irish.

RocShemp
02-27-05, 12:00 AM
AS much as I like Colin Farrell as an actor, I'm not really sold on him as Crockett. But Mann directing and Jamie Foxx co-starring.... I'm so there! :cool:

jaeufraser
02-27-05, 12:12 AM

You're right. I'd much rather have a terrible tv show produced by McG then a new crime film set in Miami with some good actors and a great director at the helm.

The only reason I think most people hate tv show (or movie) remakes is because a lot of them suck ass. Considering the director, writer, and actors, this has potential to be a good film. I guess I could clamor for them to just create a new idea, but I guess I don't care that much. If it's good, it's good. And with Mann doin it, it very well might be.

ShelleyLevene
03-03-05, 02:49 PM
I can bet the soundtrack is going to suck.

50 Cent, the Game, or some Nelly crap will be played.

I know for sure they are not going to use any Peter Gabriel, U2, Depeche Mode, Phil Collins, etc since they won't appeal to the people expected to go see this movie.

Slow Hands
03-03-05, 03:02 PM
I can bet the soundtrack is going to suck.

50 Cent, the Game, or some Nelly crap will be played.

I know for sure they are not going to use any Peter Gabriel, U2, Depeche Mode, Phil Collins, etc since they won't appeal to the people expected to go see this movie.

My dad has soundtrack to Miami Vice on vinyl. There are two LPs. It has Don Johnson, Glenn Frey, Chaka Khan, Tina Turner, Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash, Peter Gabriel, J Geils Band, Jan Hammer, and more.

Geofferson
03-03-05, 03:35 PM
My dad has soundtrack to Miami Vice on vinyl. There are two LPs. It has Don Johnson, Glenn Frey, Chaka Khan, Tina Turner, Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash, Peter Gabriel, J Geils Band, Jan Hammer, and more.
I have it too. I listen to Jan Hammer more than I know I should.

Has there been confirmation as to whether or not the upcoming feature film will have a prominent musical soundtrack?

Slow Hands
03-04-05, 03:09 AM
I have it too. I listen to Jan Hammer more than I know I should.

Has there been confirmation as to whether or not the upcoming feature film will have a prominent musical soundtrack?

Michael Mann barely began shooting the film. I doubt the music has been chosen already.

RocShemp
03-04-05, 06:27 PM
ANd if Collateral is any indication, he'll pick music that'll fit the movie to a T.

Slow Hands
03-04-05, 06:41 PM
ANd if Collateral is any indication, he'll pick music that'll fit the movie to a T.

It would be funny if he had an action sequence orchestrated to a J Geils Band song.

ShelleyLevene
03-05-05, 04:27 PM
I got the Miami Vice LPs too and they kick ass.

I like the song by the Damned on the 2nd LP.

They played it when Tubbs went undercover as a prisoner in the episode with Laurence Fishbourne in the 3rd season.

Does anyone know why Jan Hammer stopped making the music during the 4th and 5th season?

He composed most of the music in the 4th season and none in the final 5th season.

Did the producers fire him or did he decide he wanted to move on?

When he left that is when the show went truly downhill.

Amel
03-14-05, 05:48 PM
today on monkeypeaches:
UK paper Daily Mail reported that Jammie Foxx just approved the casting of Chinese star Gong Li to the big screen adaptation of Miami Vice. Gong came to the attention of director Michael Mann after joined the cast of Memoirs Of A Geisha. It is still unknown what role she has been offered with but the paper says she will have "a major role in the movie version" of the television series. The principal shooting is set to begin this summer.

ok. Look, I know that Foxx just won the Oscar for best actor, but c'mon, how the hell does he get to "approve" casting of Gong Li?!!? I really hope this just some bs that the Daily Mail added to get some attention.

Rogue588
03-14-05, 06:52 PM
ok. Look, I know that Foxx just won the Oscar for best actor, but c'mon, how the hell does he get to "approve" casting of Gong Li?!!?:lol: You read my mind. Sad thing is, it could be true..

devilshalo
03-30-05, 01:09 AM
'Miami Vice' Squad Books Gong Li as Love Interest

1 hour, 11 minutes ago

Movies - Reuters

By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Chinese-born actress Gong Li has joined the cast of Michael Mann's big-screen update on the 1980s TV crime drama "Miami Vice" for Universal Pictures.

Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx star, respectively, as Detectives Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs in the film being adapted from the hit NBC series. Mann, who executive-produced the TV show, is writing, directing and producing the feature.

The actress will play Isabella, the Chinese-Cuban wife of the leader of a transnational crime syndicate and Crockett's love interest.

"Vice" is set for a July 28, 2006, release.

Li, whose credits include "Raise the Red Lantern" and "Farewell My Concubine," appears in the upcoming films "2046," "Eros" and "Memoirs of a

Rogue588
03-30-05, 02:29 AM
http://img2.uploadimages.net/458062Jamie_Foxx_in_Style_storyPic.jpg

BlackBeauty92
03-30-05, 03:23 AM
that shit's funny :))

ruk
03-30-05, 08:17 AM
ok.

devilshalo
04-28-05, 11:25 AM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/after_the_sunset/naomie_harris/sunset2.jpg

Naomie Harris joins "Miami Vice"
POSTED ON 04/28/05 AT 8:30 A.M.
BY ETHAN AAMES

Variety reports that Naomie Harris ("28 Days Later," "Pirates of the Caribbean 2") will join the cast of "Miami Vice," the big screen adaptation of the television series that defined the 1980s. Michael Mann is helming and producing the picture in addition to having already finished the screenplay.

Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx star as detectives Ricardo Tubbs and Sonny Crockett, respectively. Harris will play Gina Calabrese, a love interest to <strike>Farrell</strike> Foxx.

Shooting is currently happening in Miami. Universal Pictures will distribute the movie next year.

ruk
04-28-05, 05:51 PM
thats wierd, harris shoud be with colin, i hate when they change things from the original.

darqleo
04-28-05, 07:14 PM
http://www.colinfarrellfansite.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=187&page=1

devilshalo
04-28-05, 07:48 PM
I wonder if he's still driving the Testarossa :p

http://www.ferrariclub.nl/gallery/testarossa_white.jpg

Geofferson
04-29-05, 09:43 AM
Naomie...:drool:

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0