Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Stones live album coming

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Stones Ready 'Live Licks'

The most successful tour of 2003 is coming to CD. The Rolling Stones' 40 Licks outing will be preserved as a two-disc CD package and will feature recordings of guest appearances by Sheryl Crow and Solomon Burke. "Live Licks," due Nov. 2 in North America via Virgin, will also include 11 songs never before released on any official Stones live title.

From its start in September 2002, the 40 Licks tour grossed nearly $300 million as it played to more than 3.4 million people across 113 shows, as reported to Billboard Boxscore. The tour, which played stadiums, arenas and small theaters around the world, is the second highest-grossing ever, behind only the band's Voodoo Lounge stadium tour, which grossed $320 million in 1994-95.

Crow opened for the Stones on several of the tour's North American dates, and frequently appeared on stage to duet with Mick Jagger on "Honky Tonk Women" (included here) and "Wild Horses." Burke, meanwhile, joined the band onstage in Los Angeles to perform his own "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love," which closes out the second "Live Licks" disc.

The rest of the collection is split between favorites and relative obscurities. Among the better known tracks are "Brown Sugar," "Paint It Black," "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Angie" and "Start Me Up." A pledge to dig deeper into the band's vast catalog while on the road turned out such songs as "Rocks Off," "When The Whip Comes Down" and "Worried About You." There are also a handful of covers, including a version of Hoagy Carmichael's "The Nearness of You" led by guitarist Keith Richards.

The 40 Licks tour, which included a January 2003 live HBO concert broadcast from New York's Madison Square Garden, came in conjunction with the 40-track retrospective, "40 Licks." The Virgin collection featured four new songs and debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200. It has sold 2.35 million copies in the Unites States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Here is the "Live Licks" track list:

Disc one:
"Brown Sugar"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Paint It, Black"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Start Me Up"
"It's Only Rock n' Roll"
"Angie"
"Honky Tonk Women" featuring Sheryl Crow
"Happy"
"Gimme Shelter"
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Disc two:
"Neighbours"
"Monkey Man"
"Rocks Off"
"Can't You Hear Me Knocking"
"That's How Strong My Love Is"
"The Nearness of You"
"Beast Of Burden"
"When the Whip Comes Down"
"Rock Me, Baby"
"You Don't Have To Mean It"
"Worried About You"
"Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" featuring Solomon Burke

Disc 1 = blah!!
Disc 2 = awesome
Old 10-01-04, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bah im not much for live material
Old 10-01-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is this a best buy exclusive?
Old 10-02-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hollowgen
is this a best buy exclusive?
No this will be available everywhere. As for the set, I agree with cdollaz, disc one is more of the same but disc two looks great.
Old 11-02-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Anyone picking this up today? I'll be getting it at BB for $15.99-$2 coupon, unless it's cheaper at Border's with 20% off (but I doubt that)

Be aware, apparently there is a Parental Advisory version and an edited version. I have a daughter who loves the Stones, so honestly, I don't know which to get. If it's just cussing in between songs, I wouldn't mind missing that, but if it's changing the songs --f@#% that!