Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Godzilla question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 01:48 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Godzilla question...

Okay, I've been hearing a lot about TOHO releasing classic Godzilla films on DVD in their original form and language. Really, I don't know which ones, when, where... or what's going on.

My question is, are they going to release "Godzilla 1985" AKA "The Return of Godzilla"? This was my favorite movie as a child, and I'd love to own it in DVD form, without the hokey dubbing, and sans Raymond Burr. And hopefully with a 5.1 mix for the sound and beautiful score. Does anyone know?

"Your honor, I present Exhibit A: The Seven Eleven's security cam's capture of the robber."
Old 09-30-04, 06:00 AM
Defunct Account

Sorry to be the one to give you the bad news, but '85 isn't on the list. The ones that are going to release on 10/19 are:

Godzilla VS Hedorah (1971)
Godzilla VS Gigan (1972)
Godzilla VS Mechagodzilla (1974)

Hopefully these will sell well and the other will be released.
Old 09-30-04, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only version of this film I am aware of that is coming out is in the huge R2 Godzilla DVD boxset that is coming out in Japan. I'm not aware of this movie having been released on it's own, even in Japan.
Old 09-30-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was released seperately in R2. I have the disc myself.
Old 09-30-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
But the Japanese version doesn't feature Raymond Burr as "Mr. Martin" or the incomparable Travis Swords.

I thought Anchor Bay had the rights to G85. I would love to see them do a 2 DVD set with the original Japanse version and the Dr. Pepper version.
Old 09-30-04, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Jason
But the Japanese version doesn't feature Raymond Burr as "Mr. Martin" or the incomparable Travis Swords.

I thought Anchor Bay had the rights to G85. I would love to see them do a 2 DVD set with the original Japanse version and the Dr. Pepper version.
Yeah, but the original poster wanted it sans Raymond Burr anyway, so that would be up his alley . .

Oh man, I totally forgot about the Dr. Pepper version. That was awesome!!
Old 10-01-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My eyes have never been graced with Godzilla '85

What is the Dr. Pepper version?
Old 10-01-04, 08:10 AM

As quoted from here:

" During 1985, Dr. Pepper acquired the rights to utilize Godzilla’s image in a series of commercials depicting the Kaiju King’s love of the famous soft drink during the company’s memorable “Out of the Ordinary” advertising campaign.
Since this coincided with New World Picture’s release of Godzilla 1985 that same year, the two companies decided to unite their efforts and pool their resources. Dr. Pepper financed New World’s extensive re-working of the film, and in return, New World included generous scenes of American military men slurping down Dr. Pepper in the new, made-in-America footage.

The first of the two commercials was well done, but unspectacular...Godzilla, who was made to look wonderfully malevolent, was rampaging through a city, all filmed in black and white, until the beast noticed a giant “in color” reproduction of a can of Dr. Pepper, set to his scale. The Kaiju King promptly grabbed the can and gulped down its contents, the soft drink’s taste placating the monster’s rampage.

The second commercial was more bizarre, and much less dutiful. This time Dr. Pepper introduced a romantic interest for Godzilla, a female member of his ‘species’ named “Newzilla” (after Dr. Pepper’s trademarked saying in the early 80’s of being the “New Generation” in soft drinks). Godzilla attempted to stimulate the she-monster’s romantic sparks by offering her a variety of things (including flowers), all of which she refused. Of course, he finally won her heart when he offered her a can of Dr. Pepper. "
Old 10-01-04, 09:38 AM

One of the bad things about Godzilla 1985 was the obvious connection to Dr.Pepper in the ads and the film itself. Theres Dr.Pepper in most of the Raymond Burr scenes. Very annoying...
Old 10-01-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Dr. Pepper.
Old 10-05-04, 09:55 PM

Just in case anyone was interested, here are a couple of pics of the huge R2 set coming out in Japan, including the Godzilla head that comes with it:

Old 10-06-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That head is kinda creepy looking.

I was kinda hoping for my own mini Tokyo city set i could trash every time i invite Mothra over for crumpets and tea.
Old 10-06-04, 03:16 AM
Cool New Member

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've got a Godzilla question too.

A while back, I read a news blurb at the Digital Bits mentioning a variety of Godzilla box sets coming out this month. I know the one with Gigan and such was listed but I could have sworn two others were mentioned; both featuring old and new Godzilla movies. I've gone through the archives of My Two Cents, but have had zero luck in finding said news blurb.

My question is: Are there any other Godzilla box sets coming out this month (rest of the year for that matter) or is it just the one with Gigan and company? The Bits doesn't post invalid info so either I dreamed the damn thing up or simply didn't find the archived post.
Old 10-06-04, 08:02 AM

Toho Kingdom had information on the sets here . It lists them as coming out the 19th of this month.
Old 10-06-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Those sets look pretty good. I'm going to have to start saving my pennies.
Old 10-06-04, 01:30 PM
mxv

Holy crap, that R2 set looks awesome! Does it contain like every G movie there is?! I think it might be time to get an all region player and get myself that set!
Old 10-06-04, 03:13 PM

The R2 set doesn't have english sub's does it?
Old 10-06-04, 04:15 PM

Yes, that set does have every G film made, and has room for Final Wars for when it comes out on DVD as well. From everything I have seen, no, it does not have English subs or dubs.
Old 10-06-04, 08:32 PM

Here's a new (to me anyway) 3-pack of Godzilla movies, scheduled for release December 14. Titles include...
  • Godzilla: Tokyo SOS

• Son of Godzilla

• Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

• I'm glad I caught this because I was set to buy GvsMG on the 19th. Tokyo SOS and Son are also scheduled for individual release in December.
    Old 10-07-04, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Damage
    Here's a new (to me anyway) 3-pack of Godzilla movies, scheduled for release December 14. Titles include...
  • Godzilla: Tokyo SOS

• Son of Godzilla

• Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

• I'm glad I caught this because I was set to buy GvsMG on the 19th. Tokyo SOS and Son are also scheduled for individual release in December.
    Interesting. IMPORT with region 1 encoding. Is this normal? What's that in USD?
    Old 10-07-04, 01:11 PM

Well, it's Canadian, so it's not really an import since it would still be region 1 anyway. I wonder if they will release this box in the US, since all these titles are coming out in the US as well, with 2 of them coming out on the same date as this box. The US Amazon doesn't list it though . . . Still, that would mean I would have to wait on Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla for 2 months . . .
    Old 10-07-04, 01:44 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by burninator
    since all these titles are coming out in the US as well, with 2 of them coming out on the same date as this box.
    Mind telling me where you saw that? I haven't seen them show up anywhere yet. I probably missed the announcement. Thanks!
    Old 10-07-04, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by TheV
    Mind telling me where you saw that? I haven't seen them show up anywhere yet. I probably missed the announcement. Thanks!
    Okay, the box set mentioned above was listed on www.godzilla.com, which linked to a preorder page on Amazon US, so it is going to be available here. Odd, since it didn't come up when I searched for it (ahh, because there was one more page after my search results which I didn't view, but I saw them this time):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...390135-2556031

I don't remember when/where I heard about these titles originally, but you can find them all listed on Amazon:

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - October 19 2004 - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S - December 14 2004 - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Son of Godzilla - December 14 2004 - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
    Old 10-08-04, 04:30 PM

Not too interested in the other two so it'll just be the T:SOS single for me,.. er, I mean my son.
    Old 10-12-04, 04:41 PM

This is pretty exciting sh*t. I've been waiting years for the original cuts/OAR for these movies on DVD. Is it likely Columbia/Tristar will eventually release ALL of the movies in their original forms? Too bad they couldn't have both US and Japanese cuts to compare what the US found so necessary to change at that time.