TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CSI: New York 9/29

Old 09-29-04, 11:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
CSI: New York 9/29

Decent episode.

It looks like it won't be the Gary Sinese show afterall with with him on the B story tonight.

My only complaint is how Hill Harper has been underused.

The internal shot of the rat climbing in the bullet wound was a nice touch

Anyone else think it's going to come out later on that Stella was a rape victim?
Old 09-29-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: CSI: New York 9/29

Originally posted by MrX

Anyone else think it's going to come out later on that Stella was a rape victim?
Yeah, that's never been done before.

So, they were able to determine which way the rat was running by the way they found the hair. Ho-kay.

That Kate & Allie kid is making quite a second career for himself playing psychos.

You know, explaining that the rat ate his way into the guy's wound is good enough for me. I don't need to see it in flashback.

This episode was just as dreary and joyless as the pilot. I think I'm out.
Old 09-30-04, 12:15 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I'll give it 2 more eps, and make a decision, so far not so good. like charlie said, too dark, and for me not enough humour.

and ferlito freaks me out, something about her looks off
Old 09-30-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the show is just too dreary for me. I like the subtle humor that the original has.
Old 09-30-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sonofabitch! I completely forgot to record this episode. Can someone please tell me a place where I can download this episode?
Old 09-30-04, 01:37 AM
Banned

Aw man you guys are being way to hard, youre making it seem like being to dark is a bad thing, I like it because its not just another CSI, its not a rip off of Las Vegas like Miami is.
Old 09-30-04, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Liked the episode though I'm glad I watched it last night instead of waiting until this morning - the rat would have just ruined breakfast for me.

Agree that Hill Harper is underused but hopefully that will change over time. CBS's site had some background info on the character so I'm hoping it will eventually be revealed on the show itself.

It looks like the blue tint everyone complained about last week was toned down a bit.

I'm loving the dark tone of the show since everything else I watch is so upbeat. The dry humor helps as well (Chi-town doesn't have rats because it's too windy, nice. Guess Sinise's character is from there which is nice since Sinise himself is from the area)
Old 09-30-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it's in trouble for me because I usually start surfing the web and have the show in the background in HD, and just sort of catch glimpses of the show as I surf and listen to it. The show just isn't grabbing my attention at the moment. I find that I don't care too much about the CSIs in NY. The shower scene seemed gratuitous.
Old 09-30-04, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this episode was utterly ridiculous. Every single progression in both cases came in some totally far-fetched manner. Now with CSI, you have to expect that from time to time, but this one just went overboard.
Old 09-30-04, 08:19 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I think the whole team working on the rape case was nuts, you mean the NY CSI team had nothing else to do, no other cases to work on.

Look we works so great as a team, if thats the case everything would be done as a group, no individual itis.
Old 09-30-04, 08:33 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally posted by Mr.Blonde510
Aw man you guys are being way to hard, youre making it seem like being to dark is a bad thing, I like it because its not just another CSI, its not a rip off of Las Vegas like Miami is.
I feel the same way. I enjoy the brooding atmosphere this one gives off.
Old 09-30-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm afraid this show looks like it is going to be a bust. No NY Falvor other than the sites, Sinise is a bore in this role, and the rest of the cast are forgettable.

There is not nearly enough NY edge to this show.

What a crime!
Old 09-30-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mphtrilogy
I'm afraid this show looks like it is going to be a bust. No NY Falvor other than the sites, Sinise is a bore in this role, and the rest of the cast are forgettable.

There is not nearly enough NY edge to this show.

Pretty much agree with this. Cast is forgettable and boring.
I'll give it two more weeks probably, and if I don't change my opinion I'll drop it.

One funny line from last night though. From the city health inspector: "One dead rodent walking"
Old 09-30-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
"Who ratted me out?"

I like it. Dark, with subtle humor. I like the cast way more than that Miami turd of a show. They have some cool cases, but damn those actors are horrid together.

I rolled my eyes at the rat hair- direction thing too. Stretching it a bit too much there.
Old 09-30-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been looking forward to this show, but missed the pilot. Last night's was pretty frustrating. I'm hoping that they chose last night to showcase the Stella character, and that Sinise will come out of his shell and play the key role from here on out. I agree with many of the above criticisms concerning the absence of the NY feel. Of course, I believed from the beginning that New Orleans should have been the setting for this one.

I'll continue to watch, as I even gave The David Caruso Can't Act Hour an entire season.
Old 09-30-04, 05:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Dawg
I'm hoping that they chose last night to showcase the Stella character, and that Sinise will come out of his shell and play the key role from here on out.
The pilot was almost all Sinise with very little of the rest of the cast. I would bet that's how it will be most of the time.
Old 09-30-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This episode was better than the pilot, but I have to agree that it needs more NY edge to set it apart from the other CSI's.
Old 09-30-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
ok. the guy is sterile so no dna. I can probably buy that
but then they say she fought so hard she got blisters on her finger tips. ok, so where's the skin under her nails from scratching the guy?
Old 09-30-04, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watched it this morning (love that TiVo) and I have to say I'm not impressed. I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about any of the characters, and that to me leaves me bored (at least on Miami I can hate Caruso and count on him to make me cringe 4 or 5 times per show).

I'm going to watch it one or two more times, and then delete my season pass if it doesn't get better.
Old 10-01-04, 05:40 PM

Well, it's good to know the the forensic science is just as inaccurate at the other two CSI shows.

Just because there are no sperm does NOT mean there is no DNA from a suspect. Semen contains many other cells that also contain DNA. True, it is more difficult to get a complete DNA profile from a suspect if there are no sperm but it is not impossible. It's all about proportions - many times without sperm there is too much DNA from the female to detect the smaller amount from the male.

However, now there is a fairly new technique that tests for DNA on the Y chromosome (called Y-STRs). So it doesn't matter how much female DNA is present because the test only detects MALE DNA.

But on TV - I guess it is preferable to use tree sap to solve the case instead of an actual scientific court accepted procedure.

And that concludes your forensic science lesson for today!
Old 10-01-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Nickee
Well, it's good to know the the forensic science is just as inaccurate at the other two CSI shows.

Just because there are no sperm does NOT mean there is no DNA from a suspect. Semen contains many other cells that also contain DNA. True, it is more difficult to get a complete DNA profile from a suspect if there are no sperm but it is not impossible. It's all about proportions - many times without sperm there is too much DNA from the female to detect the smaller amount from the male.

However, now there is a fairly new technique that tests for DNA on the Y chromosome (called Y-STRs). So it doesn't matter how much female DNA is present because the test only detects MALE DNA.

But on TV - I guess it is preferable to use tree sap to solve the case instead of an actual scientific court accepted procedure.

And that concludes your forensic science lesson for today!
Yeah and it also doesnt take 5 seconds to get results, and CSI's are grunts in the Forensic science world and they dont talk with the Medical Examiners, or carry guns or arrest or question people as they are not sworn officers...But thats the point of it being entertainment. Granted, its not mind blowing entertainment, but its good for an hour to kill, and you cant take it so literally, as there isnt much basis in fact on the show.
Old 10-02-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Fantastic is right. I read an interview with supposedly the top real CSI in the country(asian guy, can't remember his name it was over a year ago). He scoffed at about 98% of the show. Along with everything fantastic said, he said the majority of the methods they use on the show to get DNA, fingerprints, GSR, pretty much everything, is hollywood fiction. He said it would be great if all that stuff actually worked, it would make his job a whole lot easier. lol. One other thing he mentioned is that CSI's rarely leave the lab. That would make for quite a boring show.
Old 10-02-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Watched the show last night during dinner (gotta remember to NOT eat during these CSI shows!) - The blue tint is still bothering more than I figured it would, and it's been reduced?? wow. So far, I'm not connecting to any of the characters, and the plots do seem a bit weak. I'll hang in for awhile though.
Old 10-02-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by Bronkster
[B]Watched the show last night during dinner (gotta remember to NOT eat during these CSI shows!) /B]
Hey I mentioned that in last week's thread so you can't say you weren't warned .
Old 10-06-04, 12:21 PM

i enjoyed it, i like NY over the miami one

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.