Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EBGames.com - Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EBGames.com - Reliable?

It looks as if my money order has been lost in the mail to buy GTA San Andreas and 2 of the new Monster double features from DVD Empire. I am going to get a temporary credit card and order it off EBGames.com

Just wondering if the site is any good and the items ship when they say they are going to. No probs? Lemme know. Thanks,

Lyle
Old 09-29-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never had a problem with them.
Old 09-29-04, 12:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Very reliable, although I prefer Gamestop.com. My biggest complaint is that there's a big delay between when the item ships, and when you get the tracking number from them. More than once I've gotten a shipping notification email after I had the product in hand.

BTW, both EBGames and Gamestop have "Daily Deals," which frequently involve free 2-day or overnight shipping. If you're looking for a particular title or titles it might be worth your while to check every day to see if free shipping is available before you order.
Old 09-29-04, 12:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

While not always providing the best bargains, EBgames.com has generally been pretty reliable in my experience. I got my GameCube from them and several GCN and GB/GBA games over the years and they always shipped in a timely manner (including preorders). Communication was usually good, though there were a couple of times when I tried to take advantage of one of their arcane rebate deals and I wouldn't hear from them until I initiated communication.
Old 09-29-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EBGames? Great online retailer... I order a ton of stuff from them with no problems at all.

Gamestop? Gag me - especially if you're buying pre-owned games, they don't guarantee you'll get an instruction manual or case - unlike EB who do (or at least tell you if it's incomplete). GS seems to always screw up their coupons too - I've been a victim of that a couple of times, and as usual, it's the customer's problem to sort it out. I don't order from them anymore. Last game I ordered had disc errors and had to be returned.
Old 09-29-04, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EBgames.com is very reliable. The only beef I have with them is that they'll sometimes have ridiculous fluctuating prices. For example, a while ago, I ordered Black & Bruised on the PS2 for $7. The next day, they raised it to $10. The day after, they dropped it to $5. The day after that, they raised it back to $10, and so on and so forth. Naturally, I lived up to my name of "DaBargainHunta" and e-mailed them about getting my $2 back. I know, it's only $2, but still. I can understand a price drop or a temporary sale, but dropping and raising the price so erratically so many times in less than a week is simply ridiculous. How does that make any sense? To make a long story short, I ended up having to send them a couple of heated mails, and I eventually got it at the lowest price. What a hassle though.
Old 09-29-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
EBGames.com have always done good by me.
Old 09-29-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Copenhagen
I've never had a problem with them.
ditto
Old 09-29-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

EBgames online is pretty good, they sometimes have great deals too, like bargainhunta said they will randomly drop games in price, which is a good thing. There will, at times, be cheap deals on games they are clearing out. In the last month they cleared out a bunch of PS2 games like FF X2 for $10, Legacy of Kain Defiance for $10, Activision Anthology for $8 and a bunch of others.

EBgames B&M however is a different story. I can't stand their opened games for new policy.

Last edited by msdmoney; 09-29-04 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by msdmoney
EBgames online is pretty good, they sometimes have great deals too, like bargainhunta said they will randomly drom games in price, which is a good thing. There will at times be cheap deals on games they are clearing out. In the last month they cleared out a bunch of PS2 games like FF X2 for $10, Legacy of Kain Defiance for $10, Activision Anthology for $8 and a bunch of others.

EBgames B&M however is a different story. I can't stand their opened games for new policy.
I haven't ordered with them online for a while, but I've had their "opened games as new" on a few games that were mailed to me.
Old 09-29-04, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by msdmoney
Me neither. That's why I've pretty much stopped shopping there. It's ridiculous that they expect you to pay full-price for something that's opened. To me, opened = NOT NEW! What if I was buying a game for someone as a gift? I certainly couldn't give it to them without the shrinkwrap. It's ridiculous.

Originally posted by consoleman
I haven't ordered with them online for a while, but I've had their "opened games as new" on a few games that were mailed to me.
Wait, you mean that ebgames.com is also now sending opened games?! I haven't had that experience yet, but if they did try to pull that shit with me, I would not hesitate to return the game and demand a copy that's actually new. To me, mailing out a game that's not brand new when it's advertised as such is blatantly false advertising.
Old 09-30-04, 03:18 AM

I've had no problems with EBGames at all.
Old 09-30-04, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Usually pretty decent except for one order where they shipped a used copy of a game when I ordered a new copy. The sales tax issue is a drawback now...they really need to start offering free media mail shipping or something to compensate for the sales tax. My orders have lessened due to this extra cost over the last couple of months.
Old 09-30-04, 05:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only problem I've had w/ EBgames is they are very inconsistant when it comes to used games. Sometimes you get the original packaging/book, sometimes you don't and you usually don't find out until it shows up.
Old 09-30-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never had a problem with them. I always just wait for the free 2nd day air shipping deals they usually do on pre-orders, and then order. 9 times out of ten, despite choosing 2nd day air and not overnight, I get the games right on release day anyway.
Old 09-30-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nemein
The only problem I've had w/ EBgames is they are very inconsistant when it comes to used games. Sometimes you get the original packaging/book, sometimes you don't and you usually don't find out until it shows up.
Are you sure you don't mean Gamestop? EBGames guarantees the original instructions and packaging. You can send your games back to EB if they don't meet that criteria. GS is the risky one for preowned games - they state "This is a pre-owned video game. It is guaranteed to work on your game console, and may not include a box or an instruction manual."

I just find your comment strange because it's usually the exact opposite.