DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Future DVDs could hold 100 times more

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVDs could hold '100 times more' from BBC News - Technolgy

Future DVDs could hold 100 times more information than current discs.
Imperial College London researchers in the UK are developing a new way of storing data that could lead to discs capable of holding 1,000 gigabytes.
It means that every episode of The Simpsons could fit on a disc the size of a normal DVD.
Lecturer Dr Peter Torok revealed the technique called Multiplexed Optical Data Storage (Mods) at the Asia-Pacific Data Storage Conference 2004 in Taiwan.

472 hours of film

DVDs are one of the most successful consumer products in history. Most DVDs have two layers and can hold up to 8.5GB.
We came up with the idea for this disc some years ago, but did not have the means to prove whether it worked

Peter Torok, Imperial College

Work is already well advanced on the next generation.
One technology, HD-DVD (High Definition DVD), can hold up to 30GB, while a rival format called Blu-ray offers 50GB of storage.
The technique developed by the Imperial College team could offer much more on a disc.
The researchers believe their technique could be used to create a disc with four layers, each with 250GBs - the equivalent of 118 hours of video per layer.
A four-layer DVD could hold one terabyte (1,000Gbs) of data, enough for 472 hours of film, or every episode of The Simpsons ever made.
The Mods technique is laser-based like existing DVD and CD technology. A disc is made up of tiny grooves filled with pits that reflect the laser as a series of ones and zeroes.

Reflected light

Current discs carry one bit of data per pit. But the researchers say that by using angled ridges in the pits, they can alter the way light behaves.
The end result is a way of encoding and detecting up to 10 times more information from one pit.
"We came up with the idea for this disc some years ago," said Dr Torok, "but did not have the means to prove whether it worked.
"To do that we developed a precise method for calculating the properties of reflected light, partly due to the contribution of Peter Munro, a PhD student working with me on this project.
"We are using a mixture of numerical and analytical techniques that allow us to treat the scattering of light from the disc surface rigorously rather than just having to approximate it.
"The future for the mobile device market is likely to require small diameter discs storing much information. This is where a Mods disc could really fill a niche," he said.
It could be some time before the technology makes it way into the living room. The Imperial College team believe it could take five years to perfect their technique, with a commercial version available by 2010, depending on funding.
Old 09-28-04, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ill be a happy man
Old 09-28-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder how will the Hard Disk survive?
Old 09-28-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Kumar J
I wonder how will the Hard Disk survive?
Much faster transfer rates, and higher capacity.
Old 09-28-04, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Next they will be saying computers could have more than 640Kb of RAM, and floppy discs will shrink in size from 8" in the future. No way!

(I would like to read more on their idea, though.)
Old 09-28-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great for data storage and the IT field, useless for commercial marketing (at its full capacity).

How much will a single disc with every episode of the Simpsons on it be? $500? One wrong move and *crack*, there goes half a G.
Old 09-29-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Good point. I doubt anyone would release that much material on a single disc regardless because they would realize that most people would balk at the idea of a single disc costing that much. I think people would more likely pay $500 for a 15-disc set of the entire series before they would pay that much for 1-disc of the entire series, even if it is the same amount of content.

I know Id love it for data storage...would be easy as pie to backup the harddrive .
Old 09-29-04, 01:27 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For individual release, just think of the improvement in picture, sound and extra's, sound promising.
Old 09-29-04, 10:10 AM

But the researchers say that by using angled ridges in the pits, they can alter the way light behaves. The end result is a way of encoding and detecting up to 10 times more information from one pit.
Yes, nothing could EVER go wrong using that technique. Don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but just think about the manufacturing flaws and playback problems we have now. Can you even imagine what it'll be like when your laser has to try and read several angled surfaces in each pit? I don't want to think about it.
Old 09-29-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Data crystals, they don't bend, scratch or break.
Old 09-29-04, 02:34 PM

I just want to know one thing - when do you think they can get my collection down to one disk? I need the room.
Austin
(Sorry couldn't resist)
Old 09-29-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would studios actually want to fit an entire series on one disc? I don't think so.
Old 09-29-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ENDContra
^ Good point. I doubt anyone would release that much material on a single disc regardless because they would realize that most people would balk at the idea of a single disc costing that much. I think people would more likely pay $500 for a 15-disc set of the entire series before they would pay that much for 1-disc of the entire series, even if it is the same amount of content.

I know Id love it for data storage...would be easy as pie to backup the harddrive .
But, how many would buy the Simpson's if the entire collection was on one disk and the cost was about $100.00.

I have not bought one season of the Simpson's, but if I could buy all of them for $100.00, I would pick it up in a second.

Electronic prices are always falling, this may help the prices to come down even further.
Old 09-29-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wishful thinking.
Old 09-29-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We can't get J6P to get rid of his VCR........but the powers that be think he's going to hop and skip through one new disc format after another.
Old 09-29-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nightmaster
We can't get J6P to get rid of his VCR........but the powers that be think he's going to hop and skip through one new disc format after another.
Why not? He does with video games...
Old 09-30-04, 02:37 AM

Then it wouldn't be a DVD would it.

That BBC site is well known for talking complete shit. They issue these missives and make them look like news. They just copy/paste news releases from manufacturers.
Old 09-30-04, 07:08 AM

There's more here:

From Electronics Weekly
Imperial eyes Tbyte optical discs

Imperial College researchers have invented a way to multiply optical disc storage capacity, using angled pits to side-step wavelength limits.

"According to our results, we can optimistically estimate that we will be able to store about one terabyte per disk in total using our new method," claimed the inventor, Dr Peter Török .

Conventional CDs and DVDs store data in a series of circular surface features, usually called pits.

To store more data, pit size has been reduced by using shorter wavelength lasers. CDs use 780nm lasers and DVDs employ either 635 or 650nm sources.

Philips is proposing to go to 405nm for its BluRay standard and other competing 'next-generation' DVD standards are similar.

This progression cannot continue. "You can reduce the wavelength and increase the numerical aperture of lenses in optical data storage, but there is a limit," said Peter Munroe, mathematical modeller on the project. "Optical glass fails to be transparent below 333nm, so there is little incentive to go beyond the 405nm."

Instead, Török proposes to add polarisation information to the pits, calling his system MODS - for multiplexed optical data storage.

"We can use linearly-polarised light, then look at the ratio of polarisation in two axes in the return," said Munroe. "Most of the decoding is done in optics, all you need is two detectors, instead of one, and a division. There is no difficult signal processing."

There are many methods available to create asymmetry in the pits and Török has yet to fined the best, currently introducing what he describes as 'steps' inside the pits.

Working with the University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland, and Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, experiments with asymmetric pits have shown it is possible to pick out 332 different orientations - more than 8-bits of resolution.
source=
http://www.electronicsweekly.co.uk/a...earch=&nPage=1
Old 09-30-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Uh-oh .... don't tell Peter Jackson .....
Old 09-30-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Might be nice to condense entire series like say X-Files or Buffy onto one DVD.
Old 09-30-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Why not? He does with video games...
That he does, but he still hasn't stopped watching tapes yet, has he? Go to Blockbuster and see how many videotapes are getting widespread releases every tuesday in these days, in spite of the fact that DVD has been both widespread and affordable for several years now. My former fellow Bloomingtonian....didn't you ever roam outside of town and meet the REAL natives in southern Indiana? J6P Jr. gets mom and pop to shell out the bucks for the latest greatest videogame format, then pumps $50 a pop into games that will be gathering dust and obsolete in 6 months. Game systems are instant but fleeting gratification and an ilk altogether different from how he watches movies. I still say the latest greatest Sony/Nintendo/Sega is sitting on a rack beside a $59 VCR....or one they bought 20 years ago for $400.

Last edited by nightmaster; 09-30-04 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-30-04, 11:57 AM

I'm with those questioning the value of something like this. Existing technology has already eclipsed the abiliity of my aging eyes and ears. I believe that pictures and sound can be further improved, but to those of us watching the age of 40 fade off in the rear view mirror this is of little value. What I would really like to see is a $500 plasma monitor.....
Old 09-30-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by viking99
I'm with those questioning the value of something like this. Existing technology has already eclipsed the abiliity of my aging eyes and ears. I believe that pictures and sound can be further improved, but to those of us watching the age of 40 fade off in the rear view mirror this is of little value. What I would really like to see is a $500 plasma monitor.....

Good point, viking. Why am I going to spend umpteen thousand dollars on something that will at best be of negligable difference to my viewing eyes?
Old 09-30-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like getting double disc sets though.
Old 09-30-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll believe it when I see it