Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

need help with HDTV overair broadcasts

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-04, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

say hello to a proud new owner of a Sony Wega HDTV (true 1080i).

Right now I get over the air RF broadcasts from an antena on the roof. What do I need to get the over the air HD signal.

The tv is HD ready so I'm guessing I need a HD tuner. Where can I get one? Also will any do or do I need a specific one for my model?

Also I don't have cable-- I know I know-- so over the air is all for me.

What do I need to buy? And is it pretty simple to install?

Thanks
Old 09-28-04, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I got my HD DirecTivo for DirecTV, I had an OTA receiver I got from CircuitCity. It hooks up just like any other receiver: connect the coax from the antenna, then the component cords to the TV. It'll search for signals and you're all set.

Here's the specific model I had. $250 after rebate. You might be able to find it cheaper though.
Old 09-28-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

make sure your in range for HD OTA

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
Old 09-29-04, 12:40 AM

Chew, did you have any trouble with that tuner?

I was looking at it last night and over at cnet there's alot of people who hate it.
Old 09-29-04, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shawagg
Chew, did you have any trouble with that tuner?

I was looking at it last night and over at cnet there's alot of people who hate it.
Well, obviously it's not exactly top-of-the-line at that price. But, for what I wanted it to do, it did it great. I never had any problems with it at all.

As much as peer reviews can be helpful, it seems to bring the "haters" out of the woodwork more than the "lovers".

I guess it all depends on what you want to spend.
Old 09-29-04, 07:19 PM

I have a few. My favorite is the LG LST-3510A, which has a very very good HD tuner, plus a built in DVD player, with DVI output. Behind that is a Samsung SIR-T165. Good unit, with firewire out too. Also have two SIR-T151's, which aren't nearly as good as the T165, but quality is reasonable. If you can find a T151, the tuner is more sensitive than the T351. Best Buy was clearing out the T165 & T151 for $99.99 to $129.99, but I doubt the stores have any left.
Old 10-01-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Get HD cable No need for a tuner

-ant
Old 10-01-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Sonic
Get HD cable No need for a tuner

-ant
I think that was his question originally. No need to pay for cable, OTA is free once you own the hardware.
Old 10-01-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: need help with HDTV overair broadcasts

The tv is HD ready so I'm guessing I need a HD tuner.
What model VVega is it? The newer models -- like the XS955s and XBR960 -- should all have built-in tuners. I have a 36XS955, and all I had to do was run some coax from the TV to the antenna to pick up all my locals.
Old 10-02-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: need help with HDTV overair broadcasts

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
What model VVega is it? The newer models -- like the XS955s and XBR960 -- should all have built-in tuners. I have a 36XS955, and all I had to do was run some coax from the TV to the antenna to pick up all my locals.
Well, if it's HD READY, he will need a tuner.

I have Comcast Cable, so I use their HD box....
Old 10-03-04, 07:28 PM

the model is 34hs510

It's only HD ready so I can't plug in the antenna. Which BTW, I already have an antenna on the roof, although it's odd beacuse I used the antenaweb site and I'm getting some of the farther away channels and not some of the closer ones.

Like-- I'm in San Jose, right by downtown-- I don't always get a clear Ch. 2, 4, or 5. (which are all in San Fran) yet I do get a clear Ch. 8 (which is almost in Montery). Wierd.

Oh and in case I didn't mention it: I don't have cable and I don't intend on getting it.

So back to the tuner, will any do or do I need a specific one for my model?

Thanks
Old 10-04-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Any HD Tuner will work some have bells/whistles that others don't and decide on the input you want (Component or DVI). There are boxes made by Zenith, Samsung, LG, etc. Heck even the Walmarts here now carry a generic OTA HD box, the other place I would suggest is Circuit City a lot of times they will have Open Box items that you can get a deal on. Personally I use a Samsung T-151 for OTA, and my cable company supplies a Motorola 6412 for HD cable.
Old 10-08-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the model is 34hs510

It's only HD ready so I can't plug in the antenna. Which BTW, I already have an antenna on the roof, although it's odd beacuse I used the antenaweb site and I'm getting some of the farther away channels and not some of the closer ones.

Like-- I'm in San Jose, right by downtown-- I don't always get a clear Ch. 2, 4, or 5. (which are all in San Fran) yet I do get a clear Ch. 8 (which is almost in Montery). Wierd.

Oh and in case I didn't mention it: I don't have cable and I don't intend on getting it.

Thanks
Do you have an antenna rotor? The "high gain" antennas are quite directional and need to be aimmed at the tv station. You might look at which way your antenna is aimmed vs the direction of the stations.
Old 10-09-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
the model is 34hs510

Thanks
I live by the Landess/680 exit and I get OTA reception for all the local channels in hi def including PBSHD,HDNET, WB20, 36 and UPN45. You have to point the antenna at least 290 degrees clockwise from North. That is were the Sutro tower is located and you should get a pretty clear signal.