DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD release too early?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-04, 05:08 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD release too early?

I was thinking Lucas should of waited until Ep3 was released before releasing the Ep 4-6 on DVD. My reason is that if he was going to change them anyway (4-6), wouldn't there have been more to include if Ep3 had already been released?

Not that I'm complaining about the current release, I'm glad to finally have them (I'd double dip if a new version came out).
Hell we've waited so long for them, a couple of years wouldn't be so bad?
Old 09-27-04, 05:22 PM
Banned

THAT'S WHAT HE WANTED TO DO!

He originally said that was the plan and then 9 million fanboys when batshit crazy over it starting e-mail campaigns, online petitions, etc.

Last edited by Green Jello; 09-27-04 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
2007 = Another release of all 6 movies (possibly on HD-DVD, depending on how popular the format is by then).
Old 09-27-04, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Green Jello

He originally said that was the plan and then 9 million fanboys when batshit crazy over it starting e-mail campaigns, online petitions, etc.
But he said he doesnt listen to those fanboys.
Old 09-27-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing is for sure, that Lucas' input on this DVD was minimal. That's probably not a good thing. You have to remember, Lucas, ILM, and Skywalker Sound are all neck deep in Episode III post-production. Not to mention, ILM and Skywalker Sound are working on at least 5-6 other films besides Episode III.

Some of the sound issues in ANH will be worked out in the next release. I also believe the inconsistent lightsabers will also be fixed in the next release. All of this because Lucas will have much more time to devote to the DVD, to oversee and catch niggling little details and audio blunders.

This is still a very good DVD release. It's not flawless, but it probably won't be flawless until any eventual 2007 release.
Old 09-27-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Releasing it now allows him to keep the SW flames alive and 'build up' anticipation for Episode III.

1. OT release now with 'preview featurette' for Episode III.
2. Episode III trailer in November
3. Novels, figures, and shit in -- what? -- Feb/March?

He's gotten Star Wars on the cover of just about every media magazine, newspaper art section, etc. over 6 months before the new film. As they say, "you can't buy publicity like that."

And, yes, he's clearly going to re-release this again (probably with new changes and more extras) in 2007 or whatever.
Old 09-27-04, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love too see more additions to the OT. Why not? We have the Special Editon already...lets have a Special Special Edition now. 2007
Old 09-27-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by MJKTool
But he said he doesnt listen to those fanboys.
More along the lines of him listening to his own history of releases.

When the SE's came out in theaters he released the trilogy the year before agan on VHS.

when he released Episode I he had a re-release just before as well with footage from Episode I.

He likes to do things like that. Right before a major release in theater he will re-release, or in this case, release the trilogy to create some buzz and to tag on some tease for the upcoming project.

In this case he is hyping Episode III with that Making of darth vader feature for episode III.

So while he originally said he would release it on dvd after all of them are done, his history proves that he was going to release it before anyways.
Old 09-27-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

So many people bring this point up, but conveniently forget that we wanted the release about, oh four or five years ago. Say, a release in 1997 along with the VHS and LD releases of the SEs. Yes, I know Fox wasn't doing DVD, but you'd better believe they'd jump if Lucas sneezed the word "DVD" in their general direction.

At this point, I almost would have rather have waited a few more years for the final set. I did pick up this set since the price at Fry's was too good to pass up, but it's pretty obvious this was a rush job.
Old 09-27-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
With lucas there is never a "Final set"
Old 09-27-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those didn't change his mind. When he saw the more than impressive sales for the Indiana Jones DVDs, he realized the market for DVD had exploded beyond anybody's dreams, and the time that he felt would have been right in 2006 was NOW. While I wish with everybody else they came earlier, I don't mind these releases now, and will certainly buy any updated editions he puts out in 2006.
Old 09-27-04, 10:57 PM

Do you think he will add more scenes in the 2007 release?
Old 09-27-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
I always read that he wanted to add the Biggs scene. I don't know about other changes. All of them could be Internet rumors for all I know, though. But I am really hoping so. The Biggs scene is integral to the Star Wars story to me (because I read the comics versions so many times growing up, proably more times than I saw the movie, and it's in there, and I know it was filmed and scrapped for some reason). I don't care what he does with the other two, just restore the full version of A New Hope.
Old 09-28-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
I always read that he wanted to add the Biggs scene. I don't know about other changes. All of them could be Internet rumors for all I know, though. But I am really hoping so. The Biggs scene is integral to the Star Wars story to me (because I read the comics versions so many times growing up, proably more times than I saw the movie, and it's in there, and I know it was filmed and scrapped for some reason). I don't care what he does with the other two, just restore the full version of A New Hope.
He won't add the Biggs scene - he says in the commentary for A New Hope that he likes the fact that the first 20 minutes of the movie are robots only. He may add them as deleted scenes, but he won't put them back in the movie.
Old 09-28-04, 09:23 AM

I don't think he will. I believe that there will most definitely be some little things here and there, but as far as all new scenes and totally rearranging existing scenes, I don't think we'll see that. He seems pretty happy with what's on these new DVDs. Now is just a matter of cleaning up small inconsistencies and other errors, plus further effects cleanup.

As for the current DVD, I don't think it was a rush job. They certainly were swamped and didn't have as much time as they probably needed, but a hell of a lot of work went into this DVD. Ron Epstein at HTF was talking about what they were show in a recent trip to the Ranch, and they state there was an incredible amount of work put into these DVDs. The problems or screwups in this set all revolve around ANH. ESB, ROTJ, and the Bonus disc are all rock solid except for some pinkish lightsabers in some scenes.

Last edited by Terrell; 09-28-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-28-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish the scene in the rebel hangar with Biggs, Red Leader, and Luke played out in full, rather having that "wipe" edit when someone walks across the scene. Red Leader originally mentions that as a boy, he met Luke's father and talks about his piloting skills. He then adds if Luke possessed even half of it, he would do all right. The giveaway is that Artoo, while being hoisted up into Luke's X-Wing, is up several inches higher in very short time.

When Biggs was all but cut from the original version, some of his references are still in there, although one apparently didn't make it through all that clearly. During the dogfight, Luke's line of "Biggs! You've picked one up...watch it!" seems to be a bit cut off when he mentions the name.
Old 09-28-04, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by calhoun07
Those didn't change his mind. When he saw the more than impressive sales for the Indiana Jones DVDs, he realized the market for DVD had exploded beyond anybody's dreams, and the time that he felt would have been right in 2006 was NOW. While I wish with everybody else they came earlier, I don't mind these releases now, and will certainly buy any updated editions he puts out in 2006.
The point isn't WHAT changed Lucas' mind, the point is that originally the plan was to release them after all of the new three were done and EVERYONE was complaining about it.

And now Fok is suggesting they came out too early? Can nothing go right with you people?
Old 09-28-04, 11:27 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally I could of have waited a few more years, I've never complained about it taking so long (maybe because I've gotten use to waiting). The current set does feel a bit rushed, if it did take a few more years to get it right, then I would of been happier. But like I said, I know I'll be double dipping because its Star Wars.
Old 09-28-04, 11:53 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
2007 = Another release of all 6 movies (possibly on HD-DVD, depending on how popular the format is by then).
Yep, 30th anniversary of ANH.

Also, releasing them not gets the hype rolling for SW and Episode 3.