DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Conan O'Brien To Take Over 'Tonight Show' In '09

X
09-27-04, 12:47 PM
This looks to be the answer to many people's dreams. Or will it just take the edge off Conan and turn him into another hack?

CONAN O'BRIEN TO TAKE OVER 'TONIGHT SHOW' IN '09
Mon Sep 27 2004 13:25:11 ET

From Jeff Zucker, issued to NBC staff via email:

Today, we are celebrating the 50th Anniversary of our late night franchise "The Tonight Show."

Today also marks another important milestone in our great late night history. In a few moments, we will be issuing a press release announcing our succession plan for this important television institution.

Jay Leno will continue to be at the helm of "The Tonight Show" for another five years, well into 2009, after which time Conan O'Brien will become the host of "The Tonight Show." Jay will officially make the announcement on his show tonight.

After that, it's back to work as usual for Jay, Conan and their teams, who will continue to provide us laughs for many more years.

I can't say enough about this late night team and these two men - especially Jay Leno - who worked tirelessly with us to help us find the appropriate time to make this announcement.

Thanks to both men we have a very bright future in late night!

Bandoman
09-27-04, 12:49 PM
Conan is funnier than Jay.

Hiro11
09-27-04, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Bandoman
Conan is funnier than Jay. Much. All hail Pimpbot!

Geofferson
09-27-04, 01:01 PM
Glad to hear it.

The Antipodean
09-27-04, 01:06 PM
Damn, but we have to wait 'til 2009 to be rid of Leno - can't stand the guy myself.

gettinbranded
09-27-04, 01:10 PM

Conan does too much of that stupid frat-boy humor.

No thanks.

PeMo
09-27-04, 01:13 PM
I wonder if this changes anything for Conan... 2009 is still a long ways away. I don't know what Conan's current contract is, but he could get a new gig and get a much more lucrative deal somewhere else in that 5 years.

Is the "Tonight Show" really that big of a deal now that the new person (Conan or someone else) will be taking over for Leno, instead of Carson? I would think with CBS's primetime ratings that waiting for Letterman to retire would be a better thing to wait for if he wants to wait.

sven
09-27-04, 01:14 PM
And Jays does too much of that not humorous humor.

They should just do it tomorrow instead.

MrX
09-27-04, 01:15 PM
This looks like a preemptive move to keep CBS away from him.

devilshalo
09-27-04, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by gettinbranded

No thanks.

Anything beats insulting stupid people. :p

das Monkey
09-27-04, 01:17 PM
• X •

This looks to be the answer to many people's dreams. Or will it just take the edge off Conan and turn him into another hack?
Yes, and yes. Conan will lose his edge, but let's face it: by 2009, I'm not sure how fresh his shtick will be anyway. If anything, hopefully it will remain original. Like Letterman and Carson, Conan brought something unique to late-night television; unlike Leno, who just copies from other people's success. I don't know if it will work or not, but by that point, I'll be ready to embrace freeing up that 12:30 spot for the next Letterman or Conan to slip in under the radar and develop some unique comedy.

das

Chew
09-27-04, 01:17 PM
Say what you want about Leno, but isn't the audience of Tonight Show older? Conan doesn't strike me as the host for The Tonight Show crowd. Why is Leno retiring so early anyway?

Letterman can't be too happy today.

Doughboy
09-27-04, 01:25 PM
Good move by NBC to lock up Conan so they can avoid another Leno/Letterman type situation. If you've seen or read The Late Shift, you know how messy that got.

My only concern is how much Conan will tone down his act for the 11:30 crowd. I can't imagine NBC allowing characters like Pimpbot 5000, the Masturbating Bear, or the Coked Up Werewolf to be shown. At least Triumph has appeared on the Tonight Show already, so I imagine he'll be given the green light.

majorjoe23
09-27-04, 01:28 PM
I've always liked Conan where he is because he's under the radar enough that he can get away with things. The tonight show will probably make him reign in his stuff a bit.

But it is five years away, who knows how things may change between now and then.

Gcomeau
09-27-04, 01:52 PM
Can't wait!! I hope it works out for Conan:). 5 years and counting!!!!!!!

mthiel
09-27-04, 01:54 PM
I'll miss Headlines. That's all I'll miss.

Eplicon
09-27-04, 01:55 PM
:thumbsup: Assuming Letterman retires by that point, I wouldn't have much problem watching "The Tonight Show" again. Haven't watched it since Carson's retirement and Letterman's jump to CBS. Anyone but Leno and I'll watch.

Deftones
09-27-04, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Chew
Say what you want about Leno, but isn't the audience of Tonight Show older? Conan doesn't strike me as the host for The Tonight Show crowd. Why is Leno retiring so early anyway?

This is good for NBC. Conan draws huge numbers in the 18-30 crowds with expendible income. For advertisers, it's a wet dream.

I think we all knew this was coming eventually, just not this soon. I do believe Conan is locked into contact with his current show at least until 2009. I seem to remember him signing a 8 or 9 year contact back in 2001.

As for the show, it's definitely not going to be the same show. All of it will have to be toned down. I can't see Conan doing that show from NY anymore, either.

My only hope is that some of the talent that is with the show currently, like Smigel, will continue to contribute.

tofu
09-27-04, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Doughboy
Good move by NBC to lock up Conan so they can avoid another Leno/Letterman type situation. If you've seen or read The Late Shift, you know how messy that got.

My only concern is how much Conan will tone down his act for the 11:30 crowd. I can't imagine NBC allowing characters like Pimpbot 5000, the Masturbating Bear, or the Coked Up Werewolf to be shown. At least Triumph has appeared on the Tonight Show already, so I imagine he'll be given the green light.

But Conan has gradually phase a lot of those characters out. I haven't seen Pimpbot in years.

But still a good move by NBC. I just hope that this doesn't mean that Carson Daly gets bumped up to Conan's spot :rolleyes:

movieking
09-27-04, 01:59 PM
I much prefer Conan. I think that he is funnier, but he will have to clean it up a bit, as mentioned.

raven56706
09-27-04, 02:08 PM
Who is taking Conan's spot?

pezboy
09-27-04, 02:17 PM
This is terrific. I'm so glad NBC has done this. What's great is that this is so unexpected. Who thought we'd see another late night change this soon? Conan's career is something for every young writer/comic to aspire to. Kudos to NBC for doing the exact right thing.

shaun3000
09-27-04, 02:18 PM
This must piss Dave of. He'd been with NBC for 10 years in Conan's spot and was Johnny's choice to replace him, but NBC went with Leno, a relatively unknown. Now NBC has said, five years in advance, they they are going to replace Leno with Conan. Ouch.

BUT, good choice.

Shazam
09-27-04, 02:20 PM
I actually like both Jay and Conan. Sad to see Jay go, but Conan is a very worthy successor.

pezboy
09-27-04, 02:22 PM
This all makes me think the CBS people would be smart to go after Jon Stewart full-throttle now to replace Letterman. Whenever that may be, of course.

Deftones
09-27-04, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by pezboy
This all makes me think the CBS people would be smart to go after Jon Stewart full-throttle now to replace Letterman. Whenever that may be, of course.

I think Comedy Central is owned by Viacom, which is the parent to CBS, so that may be closer to happening than we all know it to be.

dolphinboy
09-27-04, 02:39 PM
I can't believe so many people are interested in what is going to happen in the year 2009.

RoyalTea
09-27-04, 02:39 PM
when conan takes over, will the show be based out of LA?

maybe it's just because I'm from the east coast, but I find that the NYC based latenight shows are a lot more appealing than the west coast shows.

Giantrobo
09-27-04, 02:41 PM
If Jay has those 2 Motorcyle Goofballs on one more time..... :mad:

Anyway, I like Conan but I wish he would take it down just 1 notch. That's all.

Cornholio
09-27-04, 02:43 PM
i dont like jay at all this is good news conans taken over but its in a long time.

Shannon Nutt
09-27-04, 02:46 PM

As someone in my mid-30s who thinks Conan is about as funny as a cardboard box, I have to say this doesn't give The Tonight Show a promising future. Since everyone knows Letterman would have left CBS for this job - even if it's five years away, looks like NBC dropped the ball again. I was actually hoping they'd go after Seinfeld when Jay stepped down.

dolphinboy
09-27-04, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
As someone in my mid-30s who thinks Conan is about as funny as a cardboard box, I have to say this doesn't give The Tonight Show a promising future. Since everyone knows Letterman would have left CBS for this job - even if it's five years away, looks like NBC dropped the ball again. I was actually hoping they'd go after Seinfeld when Jay stepped down.

Unless, I am mis-reading this, I'm going to disagree. Dave would NEVER have taken this job to replace Jay in 5 years.

In fact, while I don't care to even think 5 years in advance, I'm old enough right now, I would make a guess that Dave won't even be doing the Late Show in 5 years.

I could see him leaving in 2 or 3 and with that not being too long from now, if Stewart is as hot as he is now, he would make an excellent replacement and, unlike poor Conan, who is a NYC kind of guy, like Dave and Jon, he wouldn't have to relocate to LA. Conan will.

Tracer Bullet
09-27-04, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by das Monkey
Yes, and yes. Conan will lose his edge, but let's face it: by 2009, I'm not sure how fresh his shtick will be anyway. If anything, hopefully it will remain original. Like Letterman and Carson, Conan brought something unique to late-night television; unlike Leno, who just copies from other people's success. I don't know if it will work or not, but by that point, I'll be ready to embrace freeing up that 12:30 spot for the next Letterman or Conan to slip in under the radar and develop some unique comedy.

das

Conan's going into his twelfth year and his comedy still seems pretty fresh to me. I doubt he's going to drop it in just five years.

This of course doesn't take into account any pressure he may get from NBC to tone down a bit; I would think they know what they're getting.

B.A.
09-27-04, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
I think Comedy Central is owned by Viacom, which is the parent to CBS, so that may be closer to happening than we all know it to be. Letterman will be living the high life full-time in St. Barts in less than five years. And the birth of his son during the past year pretty much assures that will happen. :up: to JS as his replacement.

Tracer Bullet
09-27-04, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by dolphinboy
I can't believe so many people are interested in what is going to happen in the year 2009.

:hscratch:

It's not as though we're discussing the year 3009. 2009 is less than five years away.

neale
09-27-04, 03:25 PM

Also, the sky is blue.

calhoun07
09-27-04, 03:34 PM
Scanning the thread, I still didn't seen an answer to a previous question...

Why is Jay stepping down?

Any word on who will get Late Night? That is an important show and has been around too long for them to get rid of it.

B.A.
09-27-04, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by calhoun07
Any word on who will get Late Night? That is an important show and has been around too long for them to get rid of it. Most likely George Lopez.

cowboy
09-27-04, 03:58 PM
The way I see it, Conan's audience will be 5 years older. I've been watching Conan since he first went on the air, I was a freshman in high school. 10 years later, I can't stay up as late anymore due to responsibilities and life. NBC's doing the smart thing and keeping a recognizable face for when the conan crowd grows up. He probably won't be as cutting edge with his humor, but conan's personality is what drives the show. He'll just need some new great writers.

My concern is whether he'll move to LA or stay in NY.

jeffkjoe
09-27-04, 04:19 PM
Looks like Stuttering John will be crawling back to Howard in four, five years.

gettinbranded
09-27-04, 04:29 PM
Say what you want about Leno, but isn't the audience of Tonight Show older?

Bingo!

Everyone who thinks that Conan will bring his fratboy humor into the Tonight Show will be disappointed...

dolphinboy
09-27-04, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by TracerBullet
:hscratch:

It's not as though we're discussing the year 3009. 2009 is less than five years away.

5 years ago no one would have known that the Daily Show and Jon Stewart would become the "it" show, winning all the Emmys, etc.

In 5 years Conan will change, funny and hip will be at the very least be somewhat different. Heck, Bush will be finished with his 2nd term in office. We may all be unemployed and homeless by then.

I think the cache of the Tonight Show has lost a lot in just the last 5 years of Leno. Not only does the show not win, it doesn't even get nominated for anything. And it's well deserved in this case.

What will it be like after 5 more years of being destroyed by Leno? Why would we assume Conan would take the job if there was something better available in 5 years? That's not completely impossible. Who know where NBC's ratings will be or what late night will be like then.

I think 5 years in advance is a long time to speculate on anything, it wasn't a personal attack or anything.

majorjoe23
09-27-04, 04:53 PM
I love this. 10 years ago Jon Stewart and Conan O'Brien's shows were considered bombs. Now they're in the running for the 11:30 slots.

Jackskeleton
09-27-04, 05:35 PM
Bingo!

Everyone who thinks that Conan will bring his fratboy humor into the Tonight Show will be disappointed...

read a few post above yours and you will see that this makes sense. All those who grew up on Conan and are or will be in their more mature years that can't stay up that late because of work and so on will be watching him.

It's actually a good move by NBC. By then those who like the fratboy humor now will like the tamer version he will be as they would have grown out of it. Still conan is a shit lot more entertaining then leno.

Deftones
09-27-04, 05:54 PM
I don't know about some of you, but I'll never outgrow the fratboy humor type stuff.

clemente
09-27-04, 06:07 PM
All this talk of frat boy humor...I wonder, do you know were'e talking about Conan, not Kilborn, right??

Rogue588
09-27-04, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by shaun3000
This must piss Dave of. He'd been with NBC for 10 years in Conan's spot and was Johnny's choice to replace him, but NBC went with Leno, a relatively unknown. Now NBC has said, five years in advance, they they are going to replace Leno with Conan. Ouch.

BUT, good choice. So...waitaminnit...NBC didn't let Carson pick his successor but they're letting LENO pick his...??? :hscratch:

Jackskeleton
09-27-04, 06:21 PM
This seems prefectly clear.

NBC wants to secure Conan. With Kilborn retired I'm sure World Wide Pants brought it up to his table. Conan's contact with GE is up in 2005. World Wide Pants could have offered conan the late late show spot with the sweet deal that once Letterman retires (expected in the next five years) that he gets Daves spot. NBC wanting to secure conan offers him that in the next five years Leno is out the door and gives him the spot.

Makes sense to me.

B.A.
09-27-04, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by clemente
All this talk of frat boy humor...I wonder, do you know were'e talking about Conan, not Kilborn, right?? I was thinking the same thing.

dolphinboy
09-27-04, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
This seems prefectly clear.

NBC wants to secure Conan. With Kilborn retired I'm sure World Wide Pants brought it up to his table. Conan's contact with GE is up in 2005. World Wide Pants could have offered conan the late late show spot with the sweet deal that once Letterman retires (expected in the next five years) that he gets Daves spot. NBC wanting to secure conan offers him that in the next five years Leno is out the door and gives him the spot.

Makes sense to me.

Except the Leno part. He's said recently that he'd like to die at that desk, he certainly gave no indiction that he wanted to leave in 5 years. Leno loves the Tonight Show and he loves to work. If NBC wanted to secure Conan that way, either they already knew Leno wanted only to do the show 5 more years (which would be surprising) or, at some point, they kind of told him this is what we want, go along or we'll do it anyway and you'll have an audience who knows the network isn't really behind you.

Leno is lucky he still has a job now. Leno is probably considered the worst host working late night shows right now with Kilborn finally gone. Even a poll between Kilborn and Leno might have been close.

Jackskeleton
09-27-04, 07:02 PM
I'm sure NBC did that. When push came to shove and NBC figured WWP's would make an offer to Conan like that they wanted to do everything to keep it. If that ment pushing up Leno's retirement from what it may have once been set to, then so be it.

But Leno did get a raise when he re-signed his contract. So I'm sure that bonus was a nice little way of making things right or atleast making leno shut up in this event.

Scott27
09-27-04, 07:03 PM
Why is Jay stepping down?
I heard this story on the 5:30 news today on my local NBC-owned station so they're obviously going to put a PR spin on it to protect any bad publicity for their parent company if they're trying to force Leno out, but they said Leno is leaving because "he wants to leave while the show is still on top in the ratings." Again, that's obviously the PR take on it.

Tracer Bullet
09-27-04, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by dolphinboy
5 years ago no one would have known that the Daily Show and Jon Stewart would become the "it" show, winning all the Emmys, etc.

In 5 years Conan will change, funny and hip will be at the very least be somewhat different. Heck, Bush will be finished with his 2nd term in office. We may all be unemployed and homeless by then.

I think the cache of the Tonight Show has lost a lot in just the last 5 years of Leno. Not only does the show not win, it doesn't even get nominated for anything. And it's well deserved in this case.

What will it be like after 5 more years of being destroyed by Leno? Why would we assume Conan would take the job if there was something better available in 5 years? That's not completely impossible. Who know where NBC's ratings will be or what late night will be like then.

I think 5 years in advance is a long time to speculate on anything, it wasn't a personal attack or anything.

I didn't think it was. It just struck me as an odd thing to say.

Conan's been on for nearly 11 years now. I doubt his style of humor is going to be completely revamped by 2009, and he's stayed pretty consistently "hip" for most of that time.

I don't follow The Tonight Show, so I can't comment on that.

astrochimp
09-27-04, 07:22 PM
Who cares about something thats 5 years away? An asteroid could hit earth or there might be some killer plague that wipes us all out by then.

Oh....and Conan is the man :D F Leno,my dad is funnier.

the action
09-27-04, 08:09 PM
I'm glad NBC didn't shaft Conan like they did Letterman. Additionally Seinfield would have sucked as the host of the tonight show. Maybe Andy would be willing to come back and be Conan's sidekick again like the Carson tonight show had. I'm sure his sitcom will be cancelled by then.

jaeufraser
09-27-04, 09:47 PM
I think that's great. Conan is the funniest on television, though I never really considered his humor frat boy humor. Might as well call the Simpsons frat boy humor (some of the best episodes were his).

Nonetheless, that's great. While I'm sure he'll water it down a bit for 11:30, he'll always have a massive catalog of shows to look back upon.

Plus, his personality is great. He's a lot of fun, and even in interviews is a blast. Leno is jsut kind of...drab.

Deftones
09-27-04, 09:53 PM
Maybe if he moves to LA, Andy will come back as the sidekick again. :banana:

shoppingbear
09-28-04, 02:11 AM
Did anyone see Leno's speech about this, midway through tonight's Tonight Show? Pretty convincing in saying he wanted to "go out while the show was at the top". :) Doing a daily show is a hard gig, maybe he's fine with it?

Either way, I like Leno, I like Letterman, I like Conan but not as well... the Tonight Show is kind of an institution in and of itself, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Jackskeleton
09-28-04, 02:38 AM
I'm sure this came up during the talks when he resigned his contract. Which is why they gave him a nice fat bonus as well and set it to 5 years.

Either way, good speech, taking one for the team to keep NBC happy and to let them keep conan on the network.

Roto
09-28-04, 04:40 AM

No thanks.
I think you have confused Conan with Craig Kilborn. Craig's gone so you don't have to worry about that anymore. If you think Conan's too immature I would think he'll be a little different in 5 years from now. Letterman hasn't put on a velcro suit in years and they hardly ever smash stuff anymore.

I would've bet Dave would have been gone before '09, but now if there is a set year for Jay to leave I think Dave will stick around just to outlast him and maybe leave a season or two after that. Dave started Late Night in 82, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to go til 2011 to match Johnny's 29 years or just go for the nice round 30. He doesn't seem to mind using guest hosts if he needs to lower his workload.

gmal2003
09-28-04, 09:40 AM
I love Conan. Not a big fan of Letterman or Leno.

JasonF
09-28-04, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by shaun3000

BUT, good choice.

Leno wasn't a relative unknown when he took over the Tonight Show; he'd been guest-hosting once a week for at least 5 years. It's not like they plucked some comedy writer out of obscurity to take over the hosting spot (at least, not to take over Carson's hosting spot).

I never quite get the Leno bashers. Yes, Leno is bland, and yes, personally, I don't think he's as funny as Conan or Dave in his prime (but Current Dave? He's not so funny either). Carson was bland, too, though, and while his monologues and one liners were often hilarious (there's nothing funnier than watching Carson recover from a joke that bombs), does anyone really want to defend the humor in Aunt Blabby? Floyd R. Turbo? Art Fern? The Mighty Carson Art Players?

Numanoid
09-28-04, 11:06 AM
To all those saying Conan is too juvenile for the Tonight Show audience, let's do the math.

It's 2009. Let's say the average age of Tonight Show viewers is 60. That means that they were born in 1949. When they were 18, about the time you choose your "style" in life, it was 1967...the "Summer of Love". These people were hippies, folks. Conan will go over just fine with that age group.

redinger
09-28-04, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by the action
Maybe Andy would be willing to come back and be Conan's sidekick again like the Carson tonight show had. I'm sure his sitcom will be cancelled by then.

I'm sure his next three sitcoms will be cancelled by then.

Me007gold
09-28-04, 02:19 PM
as long as kevin eubanks is gone, and conan brings max/joel and allen with him things will be more then all right

DodgingCars
09-28-04, 02:43 PM
Conan does too much humor.

Fixed.

Seriously though... How is Conan's humor "frat-boy?"

Deftones
09-28-04, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by DodgingCars
Fixed.

Seriously though... How is Conan's humor "frat-boy?"
It's not really frat boy humor. It's more low-brow stuff. Who cares what kind it is, though. He's funny, and the best man for the job. :up:

DodgingCars
09-28-04, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
It's not really frat boy humor. It's more low-brow stuff. Who cares what kind it is, though. He's funny, and the best man for the job. :up:

Agreed.

SuperJim88
09-28-04, 03:31 PM
IN THE YEAR 2000, WILL NOW BE CHANGED TO "IN THE YEAR 2009".

Jackskeleton
09-28-04, 09:17 PM
The last Conan show will be on new years eve of that year. He will then take six months off to prepare for the tonight show.

Ronnie Dobbs
03-04-07, 12:08 AM
Will Leno step aside in '09 for Conan?

Posted Mar 2nd 2007 6:11PM by Julia Ward

In today's New York Post Cindy Adams gets the story behind the story of Leno's quiet abdication of his late night throne to Conan. While it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, Leno had no intention of retiring in 2009. The decision to hand the 11:30 reigns over to Conan was made by network executives who were interested in capturing a younger demographic. NBC could hold on to Leno, but would owe Conan a major default fee.

Adams reports that ABC and Fox are both interested in scooping Leno up if NBC really does kick him to the curb in two years, which it probably will considering this move has been public for nearly three years now. Carson Daly and Jimmy Fallon have already thrown their hats into the ring for Conan's old slot. Things could get even wilder in late night if Letterman announces his retirement. Carson retired when he was 67. Dave turns 60 in April so he's got a few more years in him, but sooner rather than later, this playing field is going to be wide open. If Leno chooses to go to another network late night could get very crowded with Letterman, Leno, O'Brien all in the 11:30 timeslot.

MechanicalMan
03-04-07, 02:12 AM
Conan is the king of late night
That's like being the skinniest kid at fat camp.

DGibFen
03-04-07, 03:41 PM
I'm sure (Andy Richter's) next three sitcoms will be cancelled by then.

Since 2004 -
"Quintuplets" was cancelled; "Andy Barker, P.I." is a mid-season replacement.

1 down, 2 to go!

Brent L
03-04-07, 04:03 PM
If they do drop Leno (who I actually like) and Conan (I like Conan way better though) does take over the Tonight Show, I wish that they'd try and give Jimmy Kimmel Conan's current spot.

I hate Carson Daly so much, his show is just so horrible. It's an insult to late night TV that he is allowed to be called "Carson", even though that's his real name. I'll hear people say "so, did you watch Carson last night?" and it makes me cringe. I gave up on Letterman years ago. I used to like the guy well enough, but he's a complete and total douche now.

Ronnie Dobbs
03-04-07, 04:15 PM
I wish that they'd try and give Jimmy Kimmel Conan's current spot.

Kimmel is on ABC and contracted until 2010.

Brent L
03-04-07, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I know he's on ABC but I wasn't sure about his contract status. Anyway, if they want him, and can sign him, I wish that they would just wait and keep Leno for one or two more years so that they can then have him as Conan's replacement. I know it would suck for Conan having to wait a bit longer, but I think they could work around it.

All of that said, a part of me wishes that they'd just keep Leno and Conan right where they are. I have a huge fear that when they move Conan to the Tonight Show at 11:30, his show will be way stripped down. I'm sure it'll still be great, he'll still be Conan, but I think we'll see some major changes in the product.

Ronnie Dobbs
01-20-08, 05:27 PM
O’Brien Makes a Move to “The Tonight Show”
19-Jan-2008
Written by: Alexandra Martin

“Late Night” host Conan O’Brien buys L.A. mansion before he replaces Jay Leno on “The Tonight Show.”

Conan O’Brien has shown no hesitation in replacing Jay Leno on NBC’s The Tonight Show. Saturday, O’Brien, the current host of Late Night, purchased a $10.5 million home in Los Angeles for his move to the west coast at the end of the year, Reuters.com has reported.

Three years ago, NBC execs decided they would remove Leno from The Tonight Show and replace him with O’Brien. And though O’Brien is a fan favorite, some are starting to question whether it is too early to remove Leno from the late night laughs. Even during the strike, and without writers, Leno’s ratings still beat his biggest competition, David Letterman, who even had a writing staff, according to the Sun Sentinel.

Still, O’Brien will be in his new mansion in L.A. in 2009. But the networks are probably wondering where that will leave Leno.

Mr. Salty
01-20-08, 05:45 PM
"Remove"? When this was first announced, Leno said he was retiring when his contract was up in 2009. This story makes it sound like NBC is kicking him to the curb against his will.

CTUK
01-21-08, 05:43 AM
If NBC does end up not renewing Jay's contact, if he wants it, that would be a bad business move for NBC. Conan will probably leave NBC either way, but it won't be as big of a loss as losing Leno.

And Conan replace Dave, staying in New York, and live happily ever after? One can hope!

the action
01-21-08, 01:13 PM
I believe Jon Stewart is getting the late show whenever Dave retires...also, has NBC chosen a replacement for Conan's show? I heard it was going to be Jimmy Fallon, but that was about 4 months ago.

calhoun07
01-21-08, 01:39 PM
has NBC chosen a replacement for Conan's show? I heard it was going to be Jimmy Fallon, but that was about 4 months ago.

God, it just gets worse and worse. I changed my mind...the end of the world can come any time now. I was hoping I could enjoy my remaining years on this planet and retire in peace, but now I lost all hope for caring.

Ronnie Dobbs
01-21-08, 02:06 PM
Here's what I think may happen. Conan moves to LA. NBC extends Jay's contract. ABC woos Conan to take over Jimmy Kimmel's spot when his contract is up.

wearetheborg
01-22-08, 05:39 AM
Why buy a home a year before moving, and in this housing market ???

Jimmy James
01-22-08, 06:12 AM

This housing market may be precisely the reason you'd do it. Perhaps Conan and anyone advising him feels this is the bottom.

calhoun07
01-22-08, 05:06 PM
Here's what I think may happen. Conan moves to LA. NBC extends Jay's contract. ABC woos Conan to take over Jimmy Kimmel's spot when his contract is up.

Is Kimmel in trouble of not getting his contract renewed? I throughly enjoy the show myself, and I'd miss the show if he left. When is Kimmel's contract up?

And for them to offer Conan that would be like offering him a demotion. He's better off sticking with NBC if that happens. Don't get me wrong...I respect ABC for having a talk show that has lasted this long when so many others have gone by the wayside in the past, but it's not a prime location for somebody of Conan's caliber to consider.

kvrdave
01-22-08, 05:25 PM

To tell NBC to get serious about an exit plan for Leno.

Jimmy James
01-22-08, 05:52 PM
Conan surely makes enough to just have a second home somewhere. I'm also pretty sure he probably has responsibilities that take him to LA more frequently than most people. Maybe he's just tired of the hotel life while out there and wanted to get a nice place he can afford no matter what happens next year.

aintnosin
01-23-08, 06:09 PM
He would have to sell his $10.5 million home he just bought in Los Angeles, but he'd stay in New York if he got the offer from CBS.Letterman used to have a house in Malibu (He might still have it, for all I know), even though we was based in New York. He and Johnny were neighbors.

Ronnie Dobbs
05-10-09, 12:33 PM
The site is up and running now

http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/

Ronnie Dobbs
05-26-09, 04:47 PM
the new set revealed

http://www.accesshollywood.com/access-exclusive-conan-obrien-tonight-show-set-visit-part-ii_video_1108125

redrum
05-26-09, 05:13 PM
really like that set

kstublen
05-26-09, 05:29 PM
They were originally going to go with this set:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4a1c6cac39cb4658/4741e3c5156499a7/8e91a3e1/-cpid/76bc2cfbab92f39b" id="W4727a250e66f97234a1c6cac39cb4658" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4a1c6cac39cb4658/4741e3c5156499a7/8e91a3e1/-cpid/76bc2cfbab92f39b" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>

redrum
05-26-09, 05:30 PM
lol they should of

Deftones
05-26-09, 05:53 PM
if you get at chance, watch the other video with Andy on that site. where he "plays" Conan. I can't wait for this show. :up:

kstublen
05-26-09, 05:58 PM
if you get at chance, watch the other video with Andy on that site. where he "plays" Conan. I can't wait for this show. :up:

Yeah that one is great as well. I also liked the one where Conan is sitting down with his fans to talk to them and let them know that Hollywood won't change him.

Mike86
05-26-09, 07:42 PM
Nice set for Conan!! I wasn't aware that Andy Richter was taking over the announcing duties from Joel Godard. Fine move as I like Andy a lot but I didn't mind Joel either. I suppose it makes sense since Joel is getting older and may have not wanted to move to L.A. but he'll still be missed.

mcnabb
05-26-09, 08:00 PM
I still can't believe Conan is hosting the Tonight Show. Geez, has late night TV gotten this bad? Many people who watch the Tonight Show will not see the humor when he acts like an idiot around every beautiful girl he interviews, nor will they find the humor everytime he shakes his head making his hair stick up. Its a shame cause Conan does great bits, as he was a great writer from SNL, but just isn't funny one bit.

Deftones
05-26-09, 08:36 PM
I still can't believe Conan is hosting the Tonight Show. Geez, has late night TV gotten this bad? Many people who watch the Tonight Show will not see the humor when he acts like an idiot around every beautiful girl he interviews, nor will they find the humor everytime he shakes his head making his hair stick up. Its a shame cause Conan does great bits, as he was a great writer from SNL, but just isn't funny one bit.

it's fine to have an opinion. too bad yours is completely and utterly wrong.

RUSF18
05-26-09, 08:40 PM
Well, I guess that settles it then. Thanks Donovan.

Bluelitespecial
05-26-09, 08:46 PM
If you look in the newest EW they have a top ten of favorite moment from The Tonight Show. My favorites.

The Night after The Cheers Finale when the whole cast was smashed.
The Dancing Ito's

outcastja
05-26-09, 08:57 PM
My friend went to a test show today, he didn't give me many details, just it was funny as hell. I'll be going on the 4th, hopefully it will be as awesome as the taping I went to back in January. Before the taping Conan picked me out of the crowd where I danced with him, gave him a hug, and he told me to go down stage to give Max a hug where he also gave me his drum sticks.

Drexl
05-27-09, 02:31 AM
If you look in the newest EW they have a top ten of favorite moment from The Tonight Show. My favorites.

The Night after The Cheers Finale when the whole cast was smashed.
The Dancing Ito's

I loved the time, after the Simpson trial was over, when he finally got through a monologue without an O.J. joke. They brought out a gospel choir and sung about how he was now O.J. free.

mcnabb
05-27-09, 03:14 AM
Well, I guess that settles it then. Thanks Donovan.

I guarantee Conan loses the #1 spot at 11:30 to Letterman by the end of the year. Leno has been #1 since 1995. I am just telling you guys that Conan appeals to a young crowd, but alot of people over 40 who watch the Tonight Show wont like him, and wont think he is funny. He can get away with his stupid humor at 12:30 as that is a different audience, but it wont work at 11:30.

kstublen
05-27-09, 04:03 AM
I guarantee Conan loses the #1 spot at 11:30 to Letterman by the end of the year. Leno has been #1 since 1995. I am just telling you guys that Conan appeals to a young crowd, but alot of people over 40 who watch the Tonight Show wont like him, and wont think he is funny. He can get away with his stupid humor at 12:30 as that is a different audience, but it wont work at 11:30.

I am the young crowd and watched Conan at 12:30. I will now watch him at 11:30. I imagine a lot of his viewers will do the same. Also, Conan's later spot meant not as many people watched him because lots of people go to bed before midnight. If anything, he will probably benefit from his show moving to a time slot that is more accessible to a wider audience. If that clown Leno had the #1 spot, Conan can maintain it, especially against the supremely unfunny David Letterman.

aktick
05-27-09, 08:24 AM
I dunno, I like Conan, but would probably have to kind of agree with McNabb. Yeah, Conan will obviously get more "older" viewers at the new time than he had before, and even more younger viewers, but I think he'll lose plenty of older viewers that Leno had. I don't think he's going to crash and burn, and I hope he ends up with good ratings, I'm just not so sure. Leno may be a clown, but he's a clown a lot of people like.

It also probably won't help that Jay's on before the news, so the older folks can go to bed right after the news now. ;)

Brent L
05-27-09, 09:17 AM
This is pretty cool, never seen it before:

http://www.videosift.com/video/David-Letterman-welcomes-the-new-guy-Conan-OBrien

story
05-27-09, 09:36 AM
I think Conan will do just fine. I know my math isn't infallible, but give me a moment's benefit of the doubt. His first audiences were those who were in high school and college in, say, 1993-1998, at the ages of say, 16-21. Fast forward to 2009 when those folks are now 32-37, possibly working or married or with kids or all three, and just don't stay up as late as they used to. This new earlier time slot? Perfect for his demographic. Why? His demographic is aging into Leno's demographic.

I think the guests on the premiere next week, June 1, are telling of this: Will Farrell and Pearl Jam. Say what you want about Will Farrell (I think I was sick of him before anybody, but whatever), this man had his SNL heyday when Conan was starting out on Late Night, so you have the biggest SNL standout from that day on the new show. Pearl Jam was huge in the 1990s and so you have one of the biggest rock bands from that day on the new show. When I heard Pearl Jam was booked for the first episode of the Tonight Show, I flipped. Not just because they're my favorite band, but because Conan seems to get it. Pearl Jam isn't The Fray or Fallout Boy or whoever won American Idol or whoever the "kids" are listening to these days. Pearl Jam is a rock band with its biggest-selling records behind it and a strong, loyal following who are turning what age?... Late-twenties to mid-thirties.

He knows his audience. He's ready.

RUSF18
05-27-09, 11:45 AM
Sound analysis. I really like Conan...and not just because I think he's funny, but because he has a way of making the whole show enjoyable. I watched Leno when I was younger (25 now) but eventually got tired of it, and would watch Conan when I could but it was just too late most nights. I would DVR a show every now and then where there was a guest I wanted to see, but could never do that on a daily basis. These days, my routine is to watch Seinfeld at 11 and then try to watch something to fall asleep to after that. Now I'll be back to having a go-to show to watch so I'll be tuning in for at least a bit most nights.

resinrats
05-27-09, 12:02 PM
Wonder who will keep the viewers from the people that Watched Letterman & then switched to Conan? Now they have to choose one or the other.

mcnabb
05-27-09, 02:24 PM
If you guys like Conan, thats cool with me, but you have to understand his audience is more of a niche fanbase, and he has never appealed to the masses. He got beat at the end of last year in the ratings by Craig Ferguson! I repeat: Craig Ferguson!

When he goes to 11:30, there is a whole new crowd of people that are going to think he is a big doofus, and either won't get his humor, or wont think he is funny. I think he will lose big time to an over-the-hill Letterman, even with a built in Tonight Show Fanbase that has been there since Carson.

Only time will tell, but we'll see in 6 months how he is doing, and we can debate it then:)

redrum
05-27-09, 02:55 PM
can't believe people actually watch leno, dude isn't funny at all

i prolly could watch every tonight show and not laugh once

treszoks
05-27-09, 04:24 PM
I never watch Leno but now that Conan will be on earlier I will be watching him instead of Letterman.

Ronnie Dobbs
05-29-09, 02:14 PM
Conan will be Leno's last guest. it'll be interesting to see how this new Tonight Show works.

Geofferson
05-29-09, 02:36 PM
Looking forward to Leno's last Tonight Show tonight. I respect Leno quite a bit. While always not the funniest, he is reliable and is a workhorse if there ever was one. I have high expectations for Conan (and am optimistic he'll do alright).

JasonF
05-29-09, 03:01 PM
Maybe Andy would be willing to come back and be Conan's sidekick again like the Carson tonight show had. I'm sure his sitcom will be cancelled by then.

Look at this eerie prediction from 2004. Good call, the action!

Ronnie Dobbs
06-02-09, 12:09 AM
decent first show.