Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

odd question about showing ID at club shows

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm considering making a trip to Boston to see a rock show in a club. It's an 18-&-up show at the Avalon. Ticketmaster says, "THIS EVENT IS AGES 18 AND OVER WITH VALID ID." I'm well over 18, but I don't drive & so don't have an ID. It's been a long time since I've been to a concert at a small club so I don't know how it works. Will they probably only card the younger, questionable-looking kids? Or will it likely be a hassle where they check everybody? I'd hate to get all the way there & then be denied - or forced to beg/bribe my way in.
Old 09-24-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how old are you?

if you look like you're under 30, expect to be carded in Boston.
Old 09-24-04, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Be safe, get an ID card.

I'm surprised you don't have one if you don't drive. You need some type of ID for many things these days.
Old 09-25-04, 04:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they will take your passport as well, if you want to shelp that along.
Old 09-25-04, 07:14 PM

Bring ID no matter what. I can't stress this enough. So many times I hear people ponder about whether they'll REALLY check their ID since they think they look over 18/21 or even ARE over 18/21. No club or bar that's run well is going to risk a fine/etc because someone let some 17 year old who looks like he's 25 in the place.

I've been going to a week-long festival of shows at the Empty Bottle (in Chicago) the last 4 days. I've had my ID checked every night, by the same guy(s), even. Hell, I even saw them "Card" free jazz legend Peter Brotzman, who's 63 years old. Well, I think they were just joking around with him (he plays at the venue frequently). I've even got carded by friends of mine who work at bars as doormen. It's pretty much half of their job, so they're gonna do it no matter what.

So, lesson is, always have ID unless you like being told "Sorry, I can't let you in."
Old 09-27-04, 11:21 AM

Yeah, they always seem to pretty much be on automatic, and will ask everyone for ID. Whether they'll let you in if you look 50 and don't have ID probably depends on the place...
Old 09-27-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the heck? How do you get into bars or buy alcohol?
Old 09-27-04, 12:01 PM

bouncers/security are dicks by nature, 5 years ago or so in dallas at a show my friend couldn't get in without an ID for a 18 and over show and he was 23, so we had to just drive 2 hours back home.
Old 09-27-04, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by TripWire
bouncers/security are dicks by nature, 5 years ago or so in dallas at a show my friend couldn't get in without an ID for a 18 and over show and he was 23, so we had to just drive 2 hours back home.
lesson learned: don't drive 2 hours away from home without identification. how come the security is a dick for doing his job but your friend isn't for not having proper ID?

as for the original question...as already mentioned, take ID of some kind, even if you have to go get a state issued ID card. chances are you will need it to get in and they're good to have anyway considering you don't drive.

Last edited by WestEndRiot; 09-27-04 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Poink
Bring ID no matter what. I can't stress this enough. So many times I hear people ponder about whether they'll REALLY check their ID since they think they look over 18/21 or even ARE over 18/21. No club or bar that's run well is going to risk a fine/etc because someone let some 17 year old who looks like he's 25 in the place.

I've been going to a week-long festival of shows at the Empty Bottle (in Chicago) the last 4 days. I've had my ID checked every night, by the same guy(s), even. Hell, I even saw them "Card" free jazz legend Peter Brotzman, who's 63 years old. Well, I think they were just joking around with him (he plays at the venue frequently). I've even got carded by friends of mine who work at bars as doormen. It's pretty much half of their job, so they're gonna do it no matter what.

So, lesson is, always have ID unless you like being told "Sorry, I can't let you in."
Nice. I live about 2 miles from the Bottle. Very cool bar. Have seen numerous great shows there over the year. The Makers, Supersuckers, Headcoats, etc. Going to see the 5,6,7,8's tomorrow night. And yes...I'll be bringing my ID.