Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Empire skipping on samsung players?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Empire skipping on samsung players?

the disc played through fine for the first half an hour, and then it started freezing and starting, and freezing, before i gave up on it. i tried it on my jvc, and it played fine. it starts freezing right around chapter 16. i also skipped ahead, and it was still freezing
Old 09-24-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know if this is relevant, but my first DVD player was a Samsung, and every DVD I had skipped 10-12 times throughout the movie. After 3 different DVD players, I recently bought a new Denon DVD-2910 for about. Not one skip in 7 movies since I've had it.

But the Samsung skipped on the video, not the audio. I don't know if that's what is happening with you.
Old 09-24-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

alright, it freezes (picture and audio), and then plays, then freezes again.
i got mine at amazon, what should i do?
Old 09-24-04, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would stick with the high-end players in general if you want to make sure you don't get hickups and extended pauses on layer shifts.
Old 09-25-04, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think this might be a problem with my ESB disc (it has no scratches fingerprints on it).

On chapter 27, right at the 58:36 mark, it completely freezes. You can't fast forward it past this point. However, you can skip to the next chapter. You then have to rewind it to the 58:37 mark but if hit the 58:36 mark, it'll freeze again.

This happened on both my Sony DVD Player and my computer Lite-On 16X DVD-Rom drive.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it just my disc?
Old 09-25-04, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On chapter 27, right at the 58:36 mark, it completely freezes.
Someone else mentioned this, then I played it one my Denon DVD-1600, and it didn't freeze. So, I don't know what to tell you. Some DVDs do have problems on some DVD players, and it's not the DVD. I'd say try it on another DVD player, perhaps a friends.

I've watched all 4 discs all the way through, and didn't have one single problem or glitch, other than the reversed music in the surrounds on ANH, and the missing music that starts off the space battle in ANH. Those aren't glitches, but screwups by Ben Burtt.
Old 09-25-04, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had probs on ESB at the 58:23 mark where it would glitch and pixel up. This was on my Panny rp-82. Then i tried it on my Panny CP-72 which is the same player only a 5-disc version and it worked fine. I also tested on a older Pioneer and it worked. So i took it back and exchanged it thinking it would nto matter but lo and behold it now works on all my players. I do think there are some bad discs out there.
Old 09-25-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well, it turns out that the disc is fine, and there was some dust in the dvd player that a few blows of air helped get it out.