Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Donkey Konga - 9/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Donkey Konga - 9/28

Where are you getting your Donkey Konga?

Are there any good deals out there? I haven't heard of anything from the sales flyers yet....
Old 09-24-04, 12:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds cool, but I'm not sure I'm getting it now that the mtv.com deal is dead.
Old 09-24-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I did the blockbuster trade in deal for this one. Can't wait for it to come out. My wife is still mad we never got Samba De Amigo on the Dreamcast, so hopefully this will make up for it.
Old 09-24-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I just got hired by Toys R Us, so depending on what kind of hours they give me to start, might get it there.
Old 09-24-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have it pre-ordered at gamerush through their preorder deal, but they are slow on getting games in (still waiting on Def Jam FFNY).
Old 09-24-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$10 GC with a purchase at Circuit City. Too bad it's a pain to get there. Maybe Best Buy will step up.
Old 09-24-04, 05:49 PM

Been playing with a preview copy at the office this week...this game is a blast! I'm definitely picking it up.
Old 09-24-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I did the blockbuster trade in deal for this one. Can't wait for it to come out. My wife is still mad we never got Samba De Amigo on the Dreamcast, so hopefully this will make up for it.
I know Sega is making a game that is almost like Samba De Amigo but instead of using the maracas, you use the Eye Toy and your hands! So maybe you can get her that for the PS2 this Xmas.
Old 09-24-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Originally posted by Lastblade
I know Sega is making a game that is almost like Samba De Amigo but instead of using the maracas, you use the Eye Toy and your hands! So maybe you can get her that for the PS2 this Xmas.
It's got that and other Sega-inspired Eye Toy games like fighting with House of the Dead zombies and some sort of Sonic game.

I saw an ad for some drum-based rhythm game for the PS2 that included a Japanese-style drum controller. (Not as cute as the Donkey Konga controller, perhaps but avoids me having to buy a third system). Anyone know about that one?
Old 09-25-04, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by jdpatri
$10 GC with a purchase at Circuit City.
Hmm...that may be enough to take me over the edge and pick this up.
Old 09-25-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Decker

I saw an ad for some drum-based rhythm game for the PS2 that included a Japanese-style drum controller. (Not as cute as the Donkey Konga controller, perhaps but avoids me having to buy a third system). Anyone know about that one?
It is made by Namco as well called Taiku something. It is coming out soon too. If it is good I will pick it up along with Donkey Konga!
Old 09-25-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Hmm...that may be enough to take me over the edge and pick this up.
According to fatwallet, Best Buy doesn't even mention it in their ad.

Does Best Buy normally honor price matching with GCs? Circuit City's just too damn hard to get to around here...
Old 09-25-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Decker
In Japan, it's called Taiko no Tatsujin, but we get the American title, Taiko Drum Master. EB's got a release date of 10/26.

This game is a blast! I tried it at GDC in March, and was really tempted to import it because I liked it so much. The Japanese version has a lot of traditional-style Japanese music, and I heard the US version is a lot more "American" in it's selection of songs, so I may still end up importing the original just for some different tracks.
Old 09-27-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to pick up Donkey Konga and some other stuff. I'm going to try to get to CC so I can get the $10 giftcard. Are they anal about having to use it at a different time? Could I have them ring up DK first, get the $10 giftcard and then use it immediately on the rest of the stuff I want to get in the next transaction?
Old 09-27-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Donkey Konga is Awsome. Also, don't forget Donkey Konga 2 and Donkey Jungle Beat coming soon in 2005
Old 09-27-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Do you only get one set of congas with the game? do you need to buy another set to play two player? are the conga's wireless?
Old 09-27-04, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by DaveNinja
Do you only get one set of congas with the game? do you need to buy another set to play two player? are the conga's wireless?
Based on what I've read:

1. Yes

2. I think so (I've read conflicting reports on this)

3. No
Old 09-27-04, 12:35 PM

You can use the standard GC controller for multiplayer.

Taiko is a really cool game. From what people have said, your hands wll get really worn out with DK, but this isn't a problem with Taiko.

Taiko is also quite difficult at the hardest settings, whiel I've heard that DK is relatively easy.
Old 09-27-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Based on what I've read:

1. Yes

2. I think so (I've read conflicting reports on this)

3. No
You're right about 1 and 3. However, you don't need another pair of the bongos to play two-player. You can just use a regular controller. In fact, you can use a regular controller to play the one-player mode. Of course, the bongos are what make the game fun, so you would probably want to get a second pair of bongos anyway, if you plan to play with two players.
Old 09-27-04, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the clarification guys. Everything I'd read up until recently said you didn't need the bongos, but the article in the recent Official Nintendo magazine implied you'd have to buy multiple congo sets.
Old 09-27-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by dvd-fanman
I'm going to try to get to CC so I can get the $10 giftcard. Are they anal about having to use it at a different time? Could I have them ring up DK first, get the $10 giftcard and then use it immediately on the rest of the stuff I want to get in the next transaction?
I didn't have any problem doing that at my CC when the new Zelda GameCube game came out a few months ago. I don't imagine it should be any different this time, either.
Old 09-27-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the clarification guys. Everything I'd read up until recently said you didn't need the bongos, but the article in the recent Official Nintendo magazine implied you'd have to buy multiple congo sets.
I should mention that I was basing my statements on the Japanese version. It's possible that they changed it for the U.S. version, although my guess is that they probably didn't.
Old 09-28-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This game actually WAS in this week's sales flyer for Best Buy - but all it said was "Availavle 9/28".

I think I'm going to hold off on getting this until the buy 2 get 1 free deal at Toys R Us later in October.
Old 09-28-04, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
I think I'm going to hold off on getting this until the buy 2 get 1 free deal at Toys R Us later in October.
Good luck. I doubt this will be part of the sale, and even if it is it'll be among the first games off the shelves.
Old 09-28-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can confirm that you can play w/ a controller in place of the kongos. The right side of the controller (B, A, X, Y, C stick) acts as the right drum, the left side of the controller (Control Stick, Control Pad) acts as the left drum, and the shoulder buttons (L, R, Z) act as clapping.

I intend to pick up another kongo controller at some point, but it seems like such a huge investment for one game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.