DVD Talk
The answer to cell phones in theaters? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : The answer to cell phones in theaters?

Jon2
09-23-04, 12:30 PM
Check this out.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/22/mexican_phone_jammers/

If enough of us complain and leave this info with movie theater managers, or write to the theater's parent companies with this info, maybe it will finally stop the talking by cell phone users at least.

One can only hope.

JoeyOhhhh
09-23-04, 12:33 PM
Yeah, first time someone misses a phone call that is emergency related, the theater will get the shit sued out of them.

Groucho
09-23-04, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
Yeah, first time someone misses a phone call that is emergency related, the theater will get the shit sued out of them. As long as there are signs and disclaimers everywhere making it clear that cell phones will not work in the theater, such a lawsuit wouldn't have much merit.

But in my experience most people put their phones on vibrate and turn them off. It's only occasionally that I've heard one go off at a show. Could just be the clientale my theater are more considerate, I really don't know.

ben12
09-23-04, 12:39 PM
I hear a cell phone go off during EVERY movie I've gone to in the last couple years. EVERY MOVIE. Yeah, most people turn it off, but all you need is one asshole.

Are there any devices that are small enough to fit in my poicket that would jam cell phone signals within, like, 10 feet of me? I'm really getting sick of my friends starting 20 minute cell phone calls in the middle of a conversation. A couple weeks ago, I picked up a friend to go see a movie. Her phone rings and it's her mom. She spends 10 minutes arguing with her mom. Then she had to call her dad to tell him all about her mom. By the time she was done, we were at the theater. Then after the movie, as we're walking to the car, she's got to call her boyfriend and tell him about the movie and about her mom and dad. It's really irritating.

Groucho
09-23-04, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ben12
Are there any devices that are small enough to fit in my poicket that would jam cell phone signals within, like, 10 feet of me?Poicket? Curly, is that you?

Seriously, there are such devices. Naturally, they are illegal.

ben12
09-23-04, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
Poicket? Curly, is that you?

Seriously, there are such devices. Naturally, they are illegal.

Damn.

Though, if I get caught with one, I can just roll around on the floor, whooping.

Green Jello
09-23-04, 12:44 PM
I picked one of these up last time I was in London. I'm not sure of the actual range, but I've never heard a cell phone in a theater since I got it last year.

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

GoVegan
09-23-04, 12:47 PM
One time I went out to dinner with my girlfriend and one of her coworkers was sitting at a nearby table with a friend. The coworker spent 30 minutes on her cell phone calling her credit card companies getting them to lower her interest rates. The friend just sat there patiently the entire time. I felt like I was on some other planet, on which people do things like that.

I kind of feel like those jammers should be everywhere, but maybe there should just be common-sense-dispensers all over the place.

silentbob007
09-23-04, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Green Jello
I picked one of these up last time I was in London. I'm not sure of the actual range, but I've never heard a cell phone in a theater since I got it last year.

http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/Personal.htm

Hmmm ... as mentioned above, I'm not sure that's the best idea, especially when doctors (or whoever) don't know they can't be reached.

saoirse
09-23-04, 12:51 PM
Yeah, first time someone misses a phone call that is emergency related, the theater will get the shit sued out of them.

No one ever had emergencies, before the invention of the cell phone?

DonnachaOne
09-23-04, 12:57 PM
Those jammers look great... is that the most powerful one?

Green Jello
09-23-04, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by silentbob007
Hmmm ... as mentioned above, I'm not sure that's the best idea, especially when doctors (or whoever) don't know they can't be reached.

People managed to enjoy movies for the first 80+ years of cinema without cell phones and pagers.

As long as there was a sign saying the service is being jammed at the entrance, there wouldn't be an issue. Broadway in New York has been starting to do this over the past couple of years.

Green Jello
09-23-04, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Those jammers look great... is that the most powerful one?

I'm not really sure. The specs say 10 to 15 meters, but I seem to get more than that. They are everywhere in the UK and Hong Kong. Most ogf them look like a cell phone so you can put it out on the table when you eat dinner in a restaurant. The main problem these days is that the unit I have is for CDMA?TDMA phones and now there is a lot of GSM in the U.S. Maybe they have units that do all bands these days.

matome
09-23-04, 01:30 PM
People managed to enjoy movies for the first 80+ years of cinema without cell phones and pagers.

As long as there was a sign saying the service is being jammed at the entrance, there wouldn't be an issue. Broadway in New York has been starting to do this over the past couple of years.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

silentbob007
09-23-04, 02:09 PM

I'm talking about an unadvertised one in someone's pocket.

kayak99
09-23-04, 02:48 PM

There is no liability if someone cannot get cell phone reception. Its not a right. I've been told cell phone jammers are in commercial use in many places such as exclusive restaurants and theater owners are considering them. You just don't know it.

FYI, if the government/FCC decides tomorrow its in the national interest to ban all cell phone reception, its gone. Not likely to happen but just so you know they can. Own a GPS? the government can change your reception in a flash, and does. Can a lost boater in distress sue? Nope. The airwaves are not ours to control, just to enjoy.

Jackskeleton
09-23-04, 02:52 PM
How about people not be dicks and turn them on silent or just shut them off completely by their own choice?

Green Jello
09-23-04, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by silentbob007
I'm talking about an unadvertised one in someone's pocket.

I can see your point, but for me, personally, I couldn't care less. All I care about it being able to enjoy a film with as few interruptions as possible. I have never used it outside of a movie theater.

Green Jello
09-23-04, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
How about people not be dicks and turn them on silent or just shut them off completely by their own choice?

That would be the optimum solution, but that world is a fantasy. This is a debate that goes on here endlessly in this forum. People suck and this is never going to stop.

scott shelton
09-23-04, 03:01 PM
Cell phones?

I'm still trying to get people to stop TALKING during a movie.

Cell phones shouldn't be the priority.

Zodiac_Speaking
09-23-04, 03:03 PM
People who use cellphones during a movie are @$$es. Sure, but what if its important? Well, politely take it out of the theatre and leave it on a sound off function or don't go if you're aware that something could be important.

cultshock
09-23-04, 04:26 PM
Yeah, first time someone misses a phone call that is emergency related, the theater will get the shit sued out of them

I seriously doubt that would happen. Millions of emergency phone calls were missed before the advent of cell phones, and the world didn't end. People have gotten way too dependant on the stupid things. God forbid someone has to spend a few hours or more with their communications to family and friends cut off. Oh the horror! :rolleyes:

ENDContra
09-23-04, 04:31 PM

Because people are dicks by nature? :)

fumanstan
09-23-04, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ben12
I hear a cell phone go off during EVERY movie I've gone to in the last couple years. EVERY MOVIE. Yeah, most people turn it off, but all you need is one asshole.

Are there any devices that are small enough to fit in my poicket that would jam cell phone signals within, like, 10 feet of me? I'm really getting sick of my friends starting 20 minute cell phone calls in the middle of a conversation. A couple weeks ago, I picked up a friend to go see a movie. Her phone rings and it's her mom. She spends 10 minutes arguing with her mom. Then she had to call her dad to tell him all about her mom. By the time she was done, we were at the theater. Then after the movie, as we're walking to the car, she's got to call her boyfriend and tell him about the movie and about her mom and dad. It's really irritating.

Tell your friend that its rude to spend time on a cell phone when you're in other company. I *hate* when my friends do that. 5 minutes or so is ok, but 10+ is just plain rude. Why bother hanging out with me if you're not paying attention to me :(

al_bundy
09-23-04, 04:41 PM

what about some theaters that I've been in with nice thick walls where cell phone signals rarely penetrate and you have to find just the right spot? they don't need jammers to stop cell phones.

Green Jello
09-23-04, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by al_bundy
what about some theaters that I've been in with nice thick walls where cell phone signals rarely penetrate and you have to find just the right spot? they don't need jammers to stop cell phones.

Unfortunately jammers are far cheaper then heavier construction. I'd prefer thicker walls because that would also help eliminate audio bleed over from the other theaters.

Brian Shannon
09-23-04, 06:39 PM
If enough of us complain and leave this info with movie theater managers, or write to the theater's parent companies with this info, maybe it will finally stop the talking by cell phone users at least.

No, the answer is common sense and manners. Most of the population seems to be lacking in both.

I'm still trying to get people to stop TALKING during a movie

Exactly :thumbsup:

Giantrobo
09-23-04, 08:25 PM

:up: That's what I do and I don't see why it's so hard for others.

Deftones
09-23-04, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
As long as there are signs and disclaimers everywhere making it clear that cell phones will not work in the theater, such a lawsuit wouldn't have much merit.

Just like you can't sue when you get hit in the head by a hockey puck at a game, d.espite the warning on the back of a ticket. Oh wait, you can. Putting it in writing, doesn't mean jack shit anymore.

Green Jello
09-23-04, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
Just like you can't sue when you get hit in the head by a hockey puck at a game, d.espite the warning on the back of a ticket. Oh wait, you can. Putting it in writing, doesn't mean jack shit anymore.

Yes, but this is an entirely different kind of suit. As stated earlier, cellular service is not a right. For someone to win a suit like that, it would set a new precident.

Deftones
09-23-04, 08:48 PM
Yes, but this is an entirely different kind of suit. As stated earlier, cellular service is not a right. For someone to win a suit like that, it would set a new precident.

While the circumstances may be different, the situation is the same. Putting it in writing doesn't mean jack. Anyone can be sued at any time for anything.

Kumar J
09-23-04, 09:20 PM
They have been using them in the coffee shops in Japan.But they came under fire and less people wanted to go have coffees there.So the plan did not work.But Japanese are more considerate and I never seen them use a cellphone in a movie theater.
Every movie preview at the theaters have a warning to turn off the phone and refrain from using them.The commercials are damn funny also.They even got Godzilla to get really angry when one of the actors used a cellphone on his set.

Green Jello
09-24-04, 09:22 AM
While the circumstances may be different, the situation is the same. Putting it in writing doesn't mean jack. Anyone can be sued at any time for anything.

I realize that we live in a "sue happy" nation, but as stated many times here, these jammers are already in use in many places. These have been determined to not be a violation of anyones rights. No lawsuit over this would go anywhere.

wlmowery
09-24-04, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately, thinking of others is not a common trait in modern society. It has gotten so bad, that even commercials show cell-phone use in a movie theater as a positive. I almost died of shame and anger when I saw this commercial recently in which three youths are in a theater. One youth told a parent that they were going to play football, one said they were going to get some burgers, and the thrid told his parents that they were going to the movies. When the parents compared stories and found they didn't match, they all called their young teens on their cell phones. So we are left with an ad trying to make us feel good about three teens talking to their moms in the theater (while eating burgers and tossing a football in the air.... no less). Sheesh! (Not to mention WHY are we in such a hurry to give cell phones to kids?)

I really have reached the point where I hate cell phones. People talk on them at teh most asinine times. Like on the golf course! If you can't get away for 4 hours to play a round without checking in, then don't plan on playing.

I try to teach my daughter to think of other's enjoyment before doing something at a public event. But it gets to be harder and harder each year, because society doesn't expect the same from everyone....

AGuyNamedMike
09-24-04, 10:17 AM
http://www.binocularsmart.com/night-vision/russian-night-vision-goggles-baigish-27.jpg

http://img11.exs.cx/img11/9475/scorpion3.jpg

Green Jello
09-24-04, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by wlmowery
Unfortunately, thinking of others is not a common trait in modern society. It has gotten so bad, that even commercials show cell-phone use in a movie theater as a positive. I almost died of shame and anger when I saw this commercial recently in which three youths are in a theater. One youth told a parent that they were going to play football, one said they were going to get some burgers, and the thrid told his parents that they were going to the movies. When the parents compared stories and found they didn't match, they all called their young teens on their cell phones. So we are left with an ad trying to make us feel good about three teens talking to their moms in the theater (while eating burgers and tossing a football in the air.... no less). Sheesh! (Not to mention WHY are we in such a hurry to give cell phones to kids?)

I really have reached the point where I hate cell phones. People talk on them at teh most asinine times. Like on the golf course! If you can't get away for 4 hours to play a round without checking in, then don't plan on playing.

I try to teach my daughter to think of other's enjoyment before doing something at a public event. But it gets to be harder and harder each year, because society doesn't expect the same from everyone....

I saw that commercial last week and felt the same way. It's crap like this that makes people think it's ok to use them in a theater. No one thinks that it might actually be considered rude to others.

Although I truly believe that there is no solution to this problem in theaters, I do think it will get better with time. When you travel throughout Europe, everyone has cell phones and they don't have these problems. I think it's because cellular there has been around a lot longer and EVERYONE has had one for a long time so the novelty has worn off. The U.S. cell phone "boom" has really only been since the late 90s and most people still treat them like they are a neat new toy and not just a tool of daily life.

Troy Stiffler
09-24-04, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike

Ha. I don't care about people talking or answering cell phones. But a gun is the first thing that popped into my head.

Deftones
09-24-04, 02:00 PM
I realize that we live in a "sue happy" nation, but as stated many times here, these jammers are already in use in many places. These have been determined to not be a violation of anyones rights. No lawsuit over this would go anywhere.

Please, tell me where in the US these are in use.

Green Jello
09-24-04, 03:00 PM
Please, tell me where in the US these are in use.

If you read this entire thread, I know that some theaters on Broadway in New York are using them and I have heard of restaurants using them as well. There is one definately in San Francisco I know of. I'll try to find the name.

I'm not a lawyer, but because of the business I am in, I do know quite a bit about the FCC and the laws governing our airwaves, and to grant someone this kind of lawsuit win would set a very dangerous precident that would effect many things in our world.

Deftones
09-24-04, 05:56 PM
If you read this entire thread, I know that some theaters on Broadway in New York are using them and I have heard of restaurants using them as well. There is one definately in San Francisco I know of. I'll try to find the name.

I'm not a lawyer, but because of the business I am in, I do know quite a bit about the FCC and the laws governing our airwaves, and to grant someone this kind of lawsuit win would set a very dangerous precident that would effect many things in our world.

Please find me the names of these places. It's against the law in the US to possess such a device, do I'd be interested to find out how these places are working around the law.

TheNightFlier
09-25-04, 07:34 AM
Hell if priests can get away with it, why can't theaters?

The whole piece is here... (http://torc.blogspot.com/)

Parish Priests Jam Cell Phones in Churches

Three Cheers and a round of beers (make them Caronas) to the gutsy, high-tech clergy of four Catholic churches (Sacred Heart, The Rosario, San Juan Bosco and Our Lady Queen of the Angels) in Monterrey, Mexico!

They became so disgusted with cell phones interrupting their Holy Masses and sacerdotal rites that they installed cell phone jammers there to silence them. With one at the church entrance and another hidden near the altar, sacred silence was finally restored.

The Padres are jamming cell phone signals with Israeli-made transmitters (an Israeli company, Netline, first introduced them in 1998), the kind used to protect embassies and presidential motorcades from bugs and bombs detonated by phone. Such jammers are legal to purchase in Mexico and the US, but illegal to use.* Mexico's Federal Telecommunications Commission has declined official comment on the issue, and it has taken no action against the parishes, although officials privately note that the churches are breaking the law.

FireFinder20
09-25-04, 08:22 AM
One of my friends is one of those assholes who answers her cel phones at the movies...i give her grief about it. I'm an arson investigator who is on call 24 hours a day. If i do happen to get a page (on vibrate, phone off), I get up, go out into the hall and call in. i can't stand to hear folks talking on the phone in the theater. If I'm not on call, i don't even bring it inside with me. I have missed 'important' calls, but they left messages and i called them back later. Self important, self-centered people make it worse for the rest of us who are courteous enough not to disturb with noisy electronic devices in the theater...

just my .02 :D

harpo787
10-09-04, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by troystiffler
Ha. I don't care about people talking or answering cell phones. But a gun is the first thing that popped into my head.

Agreed, but the reality is to shoot the phone first. Shoot the person while the phone is ringing etc., and it'll continue to be a problem. So you shoot the phone first, and if they give lip, THEN you go for them.

A week or two ago I saw Shaun of the Dead...some kid comes in and sits in the row in front of me and like one seat over from me. Basically no one else in the theater, but he chose that seat. That's fine...just one person...or so I thought. Soon after, a few more friends strolled in (one or two of them late), and upon entering they're on the phone. My friend and I exchanged glances, and we got up and went to the back row. That pretty much solved the problem, but we're not huge fans of sitting in the back row.

Just today I went to see Cellular...what a fucking SHOCK that within the first five minutes of the film a CELLULAR PHONE would start ringing. I sat in my own row, with no one in front of me, but about 3 or 4 couples in various rows behind me. One guy's openly burping and chatting with whomever is with him...the couple just behind me has their own food supply. I never understood the gripe of not bringing in "outside" food, but now I have my own understanding of it (surely not the theater's problem about it): one of them opened a can of soda. Nothing like the sweet sound of a can POPPING open and fizzing etc. Then they went for whatever chips etc. they brought in with them. CRINKLE CRINKLE CRINKLE. Couldn't break out a napkin and pour it out onto that to avoid the repeat crinkle effect.

I always get a pretzel (if the theater sells 'em), and they come with those noisy wrappers. USUALLY I'm done with it by the time the previews are over, and if I'm not, I'm dropping the wrapper and just dealing with the fact that my hands will get messy. If I'm having popcorn, I grab a small enough amount that I can close my lips together BEFORE I start chomping down. Why are people so unaware that there are other people around them? Why is this so difficult?

EDIT: Ultimately, words cannot express the sadness/depression/sorrow that I feel at my fellow human beings.

wildcatlh
10-09-04, 09:05 PM
I just think some/most of you are way too full of yourselves.

I'd ban any kid under 3 in a theater far before I'd ban cellphones. I'm bothered rarely by a cellphone in the theater. I'm bothered by a screaming child quite often.

ChrisKnudsen
10-10-04, 03:13 AM
When a cell phone rings, I like to scream "I'm going to kill you motherfucker, the one who has the cell phone. " Usually they panic and leave the theater. Or if it isn't at a theater, they get confused and more scared than the person in the theater. After the movie, I go up and tell them that I overreacted and then I would punch them in the face and kidnap their kids. If they didn't have kids, I would steal one of their ovaries or testicles.

John Spartan
10-10-04, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by kayak99
There is no liability if someone cannot get cell phone reception. Its not a right. I've been told cell phone jammers are in commercial use in many places such as exclusive restaurants and theater owners are considering them. You just don't know it.

FYI, if the government/FCC decides tomorrow its in the national interest to ban all cell phone reception, its gone. Not likely to happen but just so you know they can. Own a GPS? the government can change your reception in a flash, and does. Can a lost boater in distress sue? Nope. The airwaves are not ours to control, just to enjoy.

Why would it have to be a right before they could sue? Would the case even be a rights issue? Can't they say the jammers endangered them or something?

BigDan
10-10-04, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by cultshock
I seriously doubt that would happen. Millions of emergency phone calls were missed before the advent of cell phones, and the world didn't end.

When I was a kid, my father had one of those old-style, non-digital pagers that didn't have a vibrate function (and couldn't because it relayed a spoken message rather than a number to be called or a text message). Because my father was partially deaf, his even had an extra-loud speaker on it so he could hear the message.

I recall several times, as a kid, hearing these things go off in movie theaters (including, sometimes, my own father's going off).

I never heard a one complaint about such things back then. And there are probably quite a few people who were in need of emergency surgery who probably appreciate that the signal wasn't jammed at the time their physician was needed.

And today, physicians don't need the gadgets that make noise, and most that I know (including my father) have their's perpetually set on vibrate and are as courteous as possible. They aren't, by and large, the problem (though they will be the ones who are punished the most. If they are unreachable in a theater, they simply won't be able to go to the theater, or else risk that you'd be okay without anesthesia for your emergency operation, in the case of my father's specialty).

And, in my experience, the folks who aren't curteous and leave their phones' ringers on or have conversations on their phones during the movie are the same people who talk to their companions sitting next to them or bring small (and uncommonly loud) children with them or are otherwise distracting and annoying in the theater.

So, personally, I don't know that jamming cell phone signals really solves anything.

I know some people who, if seeing a sign saying cell phone sigals were jammed, would take that as a challenge to find new and interesting ways to annoy the other theater patrons. But I am friends with a lot of jerks.

Fok
10-11-04, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
http://www.binocularsmart.com/night-vision/russian-night-vision-goggles-baigish-27.jpg

:lol:

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0