Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Joey - 09/23/04

B.A.
09-23-04, 08:12 AM
"Joey and the Party"

When he has trouble making new friends in Hollywood, Gina suggests Joey throw a party; Michael invites a competitive old friend to the bash and is surprised when the invitation is accepted.

Cast: Matt LeBlanc, Drea de Matteo, Paulo Costanzo, Jennifer Coolidge, Simon Helberg.
Producer(s): Kevin S. Bright, Shana Goldberg, Scott Silveri.

Original Airdate: September 23, 2004.

Dr. DVD
09-23-04, 03:00 PM
More Jennifer Coolidge? I can't stand her.

the narrator
09-23-04, 05:09 PM
i agree...she was extremely annoying on the pilot

movieking
09-23-04, 07:03 PM
Just watched this episode, and there was no Jennifer Coolidge. There was no funny either.

Dr. DVD
09-23-04, 08:14 PM
So far, I find it funny. However, all of the laughs are coming from Gina and Michael. Joey himself is annoying beyond belief.

In all honesty, Drea is the only reason I watch this show, and while she's funny, I don't see her as having enough to keep this show alive for along if they don't get something new going. Joey needs to find some work and then we can see him trying to work on a series or something.

Geofferson
09-23-04, 10:13 PM
Not a bad episode, although it was not all that funny.

nazz
09-23-04, 10:53 PM
I actually find Drea to be the annoying one. I don't think she's funny in this at all and very grating.

Pressplay
09-23-04, 11:09 PM
Maybe they'll fade out Joey... Not.

MrX
09-23-04, 11:17 PM
It had a few laughs tonight. Glad they did something with te neighbor other then having awkward encounters with Joey.

I still think Drea is the best part of the show so far.

maxpower
09-24-04, 01:02 AM
What is the over/under for amount of mother/son jokes per episode for rest of season?

My guess is 3 per episode.

I wasn't expecting too much from Joey and sadly it is meeting expectations.

At this point it is a very average sitcom ...and if it were not tied into Friends...I have to say it would probably be one of the yearly quick yanks.

Charlie Goose
09-24-04, 02:07 AM
I like the show a lot, and I think it's been consistently funny since the first episode. I realize I may be giving the show more of a chance due to my fondness for the Joey character. Heck, I watched "Friends" right from jump street, but so far it's had plenty of laughs. Biggest one tonight was when Joey was cleaning up with his neighbor, complaning that he's looking for a new friend. The way the poor guy was almost trembling with anticipation had me rotfl.

Yes Drea, please take off your shirt. It's so hot in here. Then, please put the shirt over your face so I can enjoy the view without distraction.

Josh-da-man
09-24-04, 02:22 AM
This show is awful. The three leads have no chemistry with each other at all. I just can't "buy" that they're a family for a minute, and if this wasn't a "Friends" spin-off, nobody would bother watching it.

Dead by Christmas. It won't survive November sweeps.

RobCA
09-24-04, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I like the show a lot, and I think it's been consistently funny since the first episode. What he said. :up:

Rob

the narrator
09-24-04, 03:14 AM
I enjoyed tonights episode.....I think given time the show could become really good

Chew
09-24-04, 06:54 AM
More smiles than out-right belly laughs, but I still enjoy the cast and the show.

Patman
09-24-04, 07:42 AM
I'm starting to really like Andrea Anders. I just don't see Ashley Scott pulling off that sort of material (the hyper-lawyer mode), but Andrea was pretty amusing in that scene.

Goldberg74
09-24-04, 08:27 AM
:up: I liked it.

The 'using the fat guy as a backboard' makes me laugh every time! :lol:

Xander
09-24-04, 09:44 AM
I'm kind of surprised that people hate it as much as they do. I mean, I'm not busting a gut or anything, but I've had enough smiles and chuckles that I'm going to give it a chance. The "human backboard" part at the end was pretty funny, come on. :)

X

Red Dog
09-24-04, 09:56 AM
Frankly, I think this show is significantly better than the last 3 seasons of Friends. I thought last night's episode was pretty good.

rfduncan
09-24-04, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
This show is awful. The three leads have no chemistry with each other at all. I just can't "buy" that they're a family for a minute, and if this wasn't a "Friends" spin-off, nobody would bother watching it.

And yet, you will most likely watch it until it gets cancelled and post how awful you think it is in every Joey thread from here on out.-rolleyes-

I really enjoyed this episode. It is definitely getting its legs. Definitely better than most of the final Friends episodes. :up:

Morf
09-24-04, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Xander
I'm kind of surprised that people hate it as much as they do.

Look through these replies again. More people have said that they like the show than those that said that disliked it. It's just that those who aren't liking it voice it a lot louder than those of us who are enjoying it. Why someone would say "I hate this show! It will be canceled by next month." yet continue to watch and complain is beyond me. Some people just like to complain, I guess.

Nabalab
09-24-04, 10:31 AM
I'm digging the show but I still have a problem accepting that they are passing off Drea as Michael's mother. They just seem too close in age, but I guess that's part of the joke!

Fielding Mellish
09-24-04, 10:55 AM

It probably won't die quite so quickly. But considering how underwhelming the show is, creatively and ratings-wise, I wouldn't be too surprised to see it be a one-season wonder.

It's AfterM*A*S*H all over again. And it's programmed against Survivor.

Shady12
09-24-04, 12:23 PM
I like it, and think there are some seriously funny moments in each episode..I agree with Nab...the one thing that REALLY bugs me is Drea as Michael's mother..I just don't see much of an age difference. He looks mid 20's(which he is) she looks early-mid 30's(which she is). The lawyer chick looks about the same age as the kid(which she is)..but the show's good. ;)

tofu
09-24-04, 12:55 PM
I like the show and especially how they're forcing someone like Joey to readjust to life without his friends. I think it'll last for at least one season. I'm not sure how much life this show will have past the first season especially without a love interest for Joey

Brain Stew
09-24-04, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Shady12
I like it, and think there are some seriously funny moments in each episode..I agree with Nab...the one thing that REALLY bugs me is Drea as Michael's mother..I just don't see much of an age difference. He looks mid 20's(which he is) she looks early-mid 30's(which she is). The lawyer chick looks about the same age as the kid(which she is)..but the show's good. ;)

Drea's character is supposed to be 36, meaning she had her son at 16, since he is 20. It actually all makes sense.

In real life Drea is 31 and the guy that plays Michael is 20 something. Which works out.

Brain Stew
09-24-04, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by tofu
I'm not sure how much life this show will have past the first season especially without a love interest for Joey

It obvious that the female lawyer is going to be his love interest. She is mostly likely making up that she has a husband, look at the facts:

-Always "away on business"
-Claims she has a wedding band, despite the fact that Joey didn't notice it and neither did the audience.
-Lied about being the super, or at the very least withheld information. This shows a weakness in her character to be honest about herself.
-Claims that the super job is her husbands, but she has do it. That is a poor scapegoat. The super job is hers.

Most likely they got divorced and she is denial or she was never married at all.

Red Dog
09-24-04, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Brain Stew
Drea's character is supposed to be 36, meaning she had her son at 16, since he is 20. It actually all makes sense.

In real life Drea is 31 and the guy that plays Michael is 20 something. Which works out.

The problem is that she looks 31 while he looks 25.

Brain Stew
09-24-04, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Red Dog
The problem is that she looks 31 while he looks 25.

I guess that's where willful suspension of disbelief step in. Pretend she is 36 and he is 20. I am not a producer for Joey so don't get angry at me.

Red Dog
09-24-04, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Brain Stew
I guess that's where willful suspension of disbelief step in. Pretend she is 36 and he is 20. I am not a producer for Joey so don't get angry at me.

It is only a minor quibble. I've already said that I like the show so far.

Astro
09-24-04, 01:25 PM
I thought it was the best episode yet. The show didn't have me at first, but its starting to grow on me.

I wonder how it'll do when its up against The O.C. as well in November.

Triple S
09-24-04, 02:17 PM
Oh Drea...

You had me at "Everclear and Gatorade."

Red Dog
09-24-04, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Triple S
Oh Drea...

You had me at "Everclear and Gatorade."

:lol::thumbsup: That was hilarious.

RobCA
09-24-04, 02:38 PM
Maybe I'm just an easy sell, but to me, Gina looks 36, and Michael looks 20.

I'd never heard of Drea before "Joey", but she's really great on this show.

Rob

Red Dog
09-24-04, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by RobCA

I'd never heard of Drea before "Joey", but she's really great on this show.

Never watched Sopranos?

Chew
09-24-04, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Red Dog
Never watched Sopranos?

From the "insanely popular but never watched" thread:

Alias
American Idol
The Apprentice
CSI
Curb Your Enthusiasm
ER
Everybody Loves Raymond
Law and Order
Scrubs
The Sopranos

Deftones
09-24-04, 02:42 PM
It may not be that good, but it makes me laugh. I'll still watch.

cdoug57
09-24-04, 02:56 PM
I find myself smiling a lot, not really gut busting, but smiling.

I am finding the relationship with the nephew to be coming along, "OK geeks, it's over."

Still don't like Drea much, doesn't seem like a brother/sister relationship to me.

Still watching...

Charlie Goose
09-24-04, 04:14 PM
Maybe I'm just an easy sell, but to me, Gina looks 36, and Michael looks 20.

I think Drea looks even older than that, with her leathery skin.
I can see the age thing is going to be in every "Joey" thread. Let's move on! -rolleyes-