Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

If they dubbed Boba Fett . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they dubbed Boba Fett . . .

Shouldn't all the stormtroopers have been dubbed as well? In theory they are all clones, shouldn't they have the same voice?
Old 09-22-04, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stormtroopers in the Imperial times are not clones. The Empire rose out of the ashes of the Clone Wars, and by that time everyone, including the Emperor, realized that armies of clones fighting is a bad idea. There's more background on the Clone Wars in Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command), if you care to read a bit.
Old 09-23-04, 12:12 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad they weren't re-dubbed, that would of sucked.
Old 09-23-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Cornell
The stormtroopers in the Imperial times are not clones. The Empire rose out of the ashes of the Clone Wars, and by that time everyone, including the Emperor, realized that armies of clones fighting is a bad idea. There's more background on the Clone Wars in Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command), if you care to read a bit.
Just a note, but when Lucas announced the prequel trilogy he said the entire extended universe mythos should be utterly ignored. The clone-talk in the Thrawn Trilogy is possibly irrelevant (we'll see in Ep III). Personally (I'm no theforce.net geek so maybe this has already been answered) I'm wondering if the stormtroopers in Imperial times really are non-clones.

Edit: Those books are really good though, anyone with a Star Wars hankerin' should chcek them out (as if a self-respecting SW fan hasn't already....).
Old 09-23-04, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If it wasn't on screen, consider it tossed the fuck out. if you care to read a bit.
Old 09-23-04, 06:43 AM

Maybe some of them are clones, but not all of them. Maybe the ones that speak in the OT are not clones. Besides, don't you think Han and Luke would have thought it was weird when they removed the uniforms of the two stormtroopers to wear as disguises and they both had the same guy inside?

Luke: "Hey Han, we just took the stormtrooper uniforms off these two guys, but the men inside look exactly the same!"

Han: "Hmm, that's weird, must be twins or something. Let's check em all out."

They then procede to remove the uniforms from like 20 stormtroopers.

Han: "Luke, check it out! All of the stormtroopers had the same guy inside! Those parents must have been busy!"

Luke: "And there are like countless more stormtroopers out there! I've heard of twins, triplets, etc, but not million-uplets or whatever."

Anyway, I guess we'll find out for sure in May.

Last edited by marioxb; 09-23-04 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-23-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty sure that everyone knows that stormtroopers are all clones.

Didn't GL say in the EPII director's commentary that the Stormtroopers were the same clones? hence the joke where Jango hits his head on the door - that was "clones" from him.

I thought it was pretty cool for Lucas to make the stormtroopers all clones. I mean, you have to wonder...there can't be THAT many soldiers who are loyal to the empire.

Last edited by Superboy; 09-23-04 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-23-04, 10:13 AM
Banned

If they are all clones, then just look at them when they are standing in groups. They are all different heights.

On the other hand, it does make Leia's line: "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" seem more interesting. If they were all exactly 6'2" for example, it would be easy to notice if one was different.

Last edited by Green Jello; 09-23-04 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-23-04, 10:29 AM

Considering the Clone Wars were a pretty well known event in their history, isn't it reasonable to assume that they MIGHT already know that Stormtroopers are clones and therefore wouldn't be surprised if they looked alike. I don't think there is anything official (that is, the movies) to suggest that Stormtroopers are NOT Clones. In fact, Princess Leia's line to Luke "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" lends to the idea that they ARE Clones, because evidently ALL Stormtroopers are AT LEAST a certain height.
Old 09-23-04, 10:33 AM

Superboy, you are correct. The Stormtrooper that hit his head on the door in ANH was initially a blooper that didn't get caught. In AOTC, Lucas had Jango intentionally hit his head as he walked into SLAVE 1, and determined that trait was cloned. Now if you go back and watch ANH, instead of the Stormtrooper hitting his head on the top of the door being a simple uncaught mistake, now you hear a pronounced thud when he hits his head to tie into AOTC. That makes it official. The Stormtroopers ARE Clones. Therefore, if Lucas was going to have Morrison redub Boba Fett's lines, he technically should have done the same with the Stormtroopers.
Old 09-23-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one difference with Boba and the Clone Troopers is that Boba is an unaltered clone. According to the AOTC script, that means there is not tampering with the genetic structure to make it more docile and no growth acceleration.

That could explain some differences between Boba and the Stormtroopers.
Old 09-23-04, 10:44 AM

Yikes. Wouldn't that make the Stormtroopers in the original trilogoy kinda old? I mean, during Episode II, they already look like they are in their late 20's. If the original triologies happened 25 or so years later,...they would be pushing over 50. Unless, they stop aging at a certain point.
Old 09-23-04, 11:08 AM
Retired

Or if they kept making more and more clone troops to replace ones that died/got old.
Old 09-23-04, 11:27 AM

Wouldn't it be logical to assume that the empire would have drafted/recruited more people to fight in it's army? Every dictatorship in history has some idiot citizens willing to fight for their cause. It seems to me that while most of the stormtroopers are probably clones, they were probably supplimented with some regular, human recruits.
Old 09-23-04, 11:42 AM

Wouldn't it be logical to assume that the empire would have drafted/recruited more people to fight in it's army? Every dictatorship in history has some idiot citizens willing to fight for their cause. It seems to me that while most of the stormtroopers are probably clones, they were probably supplimented with some regular, human recruits.
Exactly...going back through the story, Han went to the Imperial Academy, and Luke was begging his heart out to go, so regular people weren't exactly shying away from enlisting.
Old 09-23-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GL really is incapable of continuity. Maybe we should just ignore it all.

1) Makes one B sci-fi movie. World goes nuts.
2) Decides to make some more, making barely passable continuity changes on the fly. World says wow, Ewoks stupid, but wow.
3) Authorizes a billion more stories before, after, during his 3 movies in the form of books, comics, games, etc. SW is the largest entertainment phenomenon since Shakespeare and baseball. (that's right, these were bigger than Trek) Did I mention action figures? Universe expands to cover over a thousand years of SW galaxy history. Continuity ok, a few problems.
4) Decides to finally make 3 more movies he's hinted about for years. World goes nuts.
5) Enter Midiclorians and Gungans. World goes nuts, but in the opposite direction. Continuity trashed, surprised he didn't change Yoda into a human or something. GL starts saying, "Oh, you should ignore the last 25 years of SW universe. I didn't mean that. NOW, this is what I really meant."
6) Kids born somewhere between #s 3 and 4 above yell at 30-somethings for wishing GL had a clue.

Back on topic, where exactly do the Imperial academies come in? You know, the one Han flunked out of, for instance? Can't remember the name of the planet, starts with a C. They aren't teaching clones. The Emperor stopped making clones. There were reasons, look 'em up in the expanded universe. SW is bigger than GL, ignore his continuity issues.

Last edited by Spiky; 09-23-04 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 12:23 PM
Retired

Planet is Correlia, Han's home world.
Old 09-23-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope, Carida. Had to look it up. Pretty sure this is the one Han was at, it is the main Academy.
Old 09-23-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about the Holiday Special cartoon! That should be dubbed as well! heh.
Old 09-23-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Admiral7
In fact, Princess Leia's line to Luke "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" lends to the idea that they ARE Clones, because evidently ALL Stormtroopers are AT LEAST a certain height.
Or it could be attributed to the fact that the Empire would have very strict standards on who they let become a Stormtrooper. We already know they didn't let any aliens become stomrtroopers, why is it hard to believe they had height / weight requirements for the humans that want to enlist ?
Old 09-23-04, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sn9ke_eyes
Or it could be attributed to the fact that the Empire would have very strict standards on who they let become a Stormtrooper. We already know they didn't let any aliens become stomrtroopers, why is it hard to believe they had height / weight requirements for the humans that want to enlist ?
I've never really liked that line anyway. Was Luke really that short?
Old 09-23-04, 06:03 PM
Cool New Member

If the stormtroopers ARE clones of Jango, who says they have to have his Kiwi accent?

But in Episode 2, the Kaminoans say they made a finite number (I forget the number they give) of Jango clones. It's safe to assume they've all been killed off by Ep. 4.

And after Jango's death, it may not be possible to make more. Maybe the original DNA -- or whatever -- has a short shelf-life, and maybe clones can't be made from other clones.

My guess is that stormtroopers are a mix of clones, only some -- if any -- being Jango.

Bottom line: Who knows? None of us will for sure until there's official word from GL on the subject. Maybe that'll be covered in the upcoming (shudder) TV series...

Last edited by JONA99; 09-23-04 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
I don't think this one is a clone of Jango...
Old 09-23-04, 07:16 PM

I love me some Stormtroopettes.
Old 09-23-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want more Stormtroopette pics

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.