Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Colour problems on A New Hope

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colour problems on A New Hope

I just got done watching ANH and I have problems. I've tested the dvd on my Panasonic through component video, my PS2 through S-Video and my dvd rom and the problems are all the same. The dvd is not scrached and it did not skip or anything.

Chapter 11 0:25:33 the bottom sun is way too red. The chapter menu shows the correct colour. I guess this could be a creative decision though.

Chapter 19 0:42:50 CGI C-3PO is very silver looking but in the next shot he's quite gold in fact he might be too gold.

Chapter 27 0:59:13 Luke's saber is green.

Chapter 39 1:36 Tie explosion has green in it.

Chapter 45 1:48:28 The Tie explosion is in black and white. The Tie and the laser blasts in the same shot are in full colour.

Chapter 45 1:49:18 Explosion is in black and white. X-Wing, Laser blasts and tie are in colour.

Chapter 47 1:57:12 Death Star explosion starts out in colour but goes to back and white. There's also a bunch of blue noise or something around the explosion. (picture here:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=4 )

I've compared the dvd to a very high quality bootleg of the SE that was captured from a German digital broadcasr (irc) and there is a clear difference. The explosions and saber look properly coloured. It looks they way I remember seeing it in the theater and countless times on vhs. During the Tie Fighter attack after the Falcon leaves the Death Star there are also several black and white explosions but these are on both the dvd and the bootleg. So I guess they were intended to look that way.

It looks like they recoloured the explosions during the Death Star attack because they all look much more orange then they used to, too orange in my opinion but I can live with that. It looks like they were in a rush and didn't finish colouring them all.

My dvd is a Canadian widescreen version so maybe Canada received a defective version of ANH? Does anyone else have these problems?
Old 09-22-04, 10:03 PM
Banned

I don't recall any explosions being black and white on my disc. In fact, they seemed to have great color. The Death Star explosion was just as colored as well. The blue haze around the outer edges of the explosion I chalked up as either new, or was always there from the SE and we just never saw them due to poor restoration back then.
Old 09-22-04, 10:56 PM

New DVD:

My 97:SE DVD
Old 09-23-04, 12:14 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I noticed some of these as well. As for the Death Star explotion, the SE looked pretty good to me, not quite sure why he changed it.
Old 09-23-04, 12:36 AM

I noticed the blue halo when the Death Star blows up as well. Also there are other interesting minor color issues as well, is the corridor where Obi-Wan disables the tractor beam supposed to look that green?
Old 09-23-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOu made some great points.

Also the skin tones changed alot! They look very red-ish.

But whatever, its not like these dvds are the last to come. I expect a ULTIMATE series coming with even more new additions and changes.
Old 09-23-04, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
But whatever, its not like these dvds are the last to come. I expect a ULTIMATE series coming with even more new additions and changes.
I expect and eagerly await an ultimate edition of the films but I was expecting a watchable version of ANH (still haven't watched Empire of Jedi) on this disc. the Death Star explosion, the big pay off for the film is hideous. So much so that I'll probably skip past that part on future viewings. This is a pretty major problem.
Old 09-23-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I was pleased and impressed with the color on my screen.
Old 09-23-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The only problem with color on ANH is that lack of it. Brotha's represent!
Old 09-24-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some of the problems listed I didn't notice...others I did. One that I particularly noticed was in the beginning after C3P0 and R2D2 have split up that - in the same continuous shot - 3P0's color seemed to vary slightly...just enough to notice. I chalked up to being creative control ala Lucas.

Also noticed the "training scene" with Luke and the lightsabre that the colors seemed to vary.

Overall though, it was far more colorful a presentation then I ever remember having seen before, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

On a different note, I read a review here in DVDTalk (one of the official ones...is there more than one?) and the reviewer mentioned that the matteing (matting?) of the spaceships as the fly around was no longer noticeable, and overall that was true. However, I did notice it greatly once or twice. The only one I can remember at the moment is when R2 and 3P0 escape the ship in the pod...just as it launches, I thought I saw the matte clear as day. Definitely remember seeing it somewhere else in the flick (possibly towards the very end), but have no problem overall simply because I can say to those who don't remember it "looking that bad" that it was...and here's the proof!

Only watched A New Hope so far...
Old 09-24-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 73" Mitsubishi Diamond widescreen was give an ISF calibration 3 weeks ago. I did not see any overly red skin tones or color variations other than some slight variations in the tatooine scenes with R2 and 3PO at the beginning of the film.
Old 09-26-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've read someone in this forum said that there dvd seems a bit dark and i have to agree. My Hope DVD is a bit dark and also a few black and white spots.
Old 09-26-04, 01:05 PM

I agree it is a bit too dark but I think the previous releases were too bright.
Old 09-26-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you actually sat down and recorded the exact time of all these "glitches"??

dear god...
Old 09-26-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by kajs
New DVD:

Did you mean the 97 SE laserdisc, or are you complaining that the ANH DVD doesn't match up with a bootleg?
Old 09-26-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
I was pleased and impressed with the color on my screen.
I was as well. I watched it on a 65" Mitsubishi with 1080i upconversion via component. I thouroughly enjoyed it.
Old 09-27-04, 09:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
but even during some of the space ship explosions during the Death Star battle, I had noticed that some of the more intense reds really make a distracting smearing effect.
Old 09-28-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
my death star explosion was that washed out black and white color
the green light saber is on my disc on two players and on my friend's copy
Old 09-30-04, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Jason
Did you mean the 97 SE laserdisc, or are you complaining that the ANH DVD doesn't match up with a bootleg?
Well the DVD was taken from the Laserdisc, and yeah that's funny that the "real" DVD shot is almost devoid of color except for that weird blue stuff.
Old 10-01-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kajs
New DVD:

heres the original

Old 10-01-04, 11:44 AM

There are too damn many distracting color variations throughout the whole movie, especially in the Tattoine scenes. Here's a few:

1) During the opening gun battle there are bright pink flashes when a laser blast goes off nearby - the whole frame turns pink!

2) The hatch of the escape pod glows blue in both the droid shot and the stormtroopers shot. R2's seems to be glowing blue in the wide shots here too.

3) The color of changes quite frequently during the sand scenes - sometimes it even looks black and white.

4) The "blown motivator" R2 unit used to be red - now he's got that damn glowing-blue on him!

5) and many, many more!

I don't normally watch a movie to nitpic, but when these errors...I'm sorry - "creative decisions" - interrupt the flow of the movie, then that's more than I can take. I haven't even watched the other 2 movies yet, but at least the documentary looked fine.
Old 10-01-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by masetodd
There are too damn many distracting color variations throughout the whole movie, especially in the Tattoine scenes. Here's a few:

1) During the opening gun battle there are bright pink flashes when a laser blast goes off nearby - the whole frame turns pink!

2) The hatch of the escape pod glows blue in both the droid shot and the stormtroopers shot. R2's seems to be glowing blue in the wide shots here too.

3) The color of changes quite frequently during the sand scenes - sometimes it even looks black and white.

4) The "blown motivator" R2 unit used to be red - now he's got that damn glowing-blue on him!

5) and many, many more!

I don't normally watch a movie to nitpic, but when these errors...I'm sorry - "creative decisions" - interrupt the flow of the movie, then that's more than I can take. I haven't even watched the other 2 movies yet, but at least the documentary looked fine.
much of that was in the originals, i will post caps of it...
Old 10-01-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by masetodd

5) and many, many more!

All these caps are form the LD Def Collection of the Origianl Trilogy, unaltered. as you can see all these things were in the originals, the sand color even shifted.

Old 10-04-04, 11:33 AM

OK - my rant is over. Last night I had a few rum & cokes, then rewatched Star Wars. It looked great!

I highly recommend this viewing strategy for all forum members!
Old 10-05-04, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by habers
All these caps are form the LD Def Collection of the Origianl Trilogy, unaltered. as you can see all these things were in the originals, the sand color even shifted.

Geez, the resolution on those LD shots is horrid. Thank God for Lowry Digital and 480p DVD.