Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madvillain: Madvillainy: I loved it, what do you recommend next?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this album sight unseen, song unheard and it's absolutely terrific. Great fucked up and gritty beats, insanely complicated (and funny) rhymes. The best part is that it doesn't drop off in quality after the first few tracks like so many other hip hop albums. It's solid all the way through. Good stuff, reminds me of Dr. Octagon, but a little less insane.

Anyway, I know next to nothing about present day hip-hop, I sort of stopped following it after the last Handsome Boys Modelling School album and Prince Paul's "Prince Among Thieves" (a forgotten classic, IMO). What other recent albums are worth getting?

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-23-04 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-22-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are two posts I made on another forum when someone asked the exact same question.

i haven't heard mf doom's newest album, vv2, the continuation of his viktor vaughn personality, but 2003's vaudeville villian is excellent. you can also peek into a younger and less gravel-y sounding mf doom from kmd's mr hood, but that album is long OOP. it goes for a pretty penny on eBay.

the best hip-hop record i've heard this year is murs' murs 3:16: the ninth edition on def jux. ninth wonder, producer from little brother (whose the listening is also excellent!), kinda blurs the line between the neptunes and danger mouse-- lots of pulse-y keyboards but lots of samples, too. and murs is an awesome storyteller once you get past all the (faux?) macho flexing.

as much hype as the grey album got, i think that danger mouse & jemini's ghetto pop life is far and away TEH SUPERIOR ALBUM and loads more fun. and speaking of remixes, kno (of cunninlynguists) did my favorite remix of the black album, the white albulum (and i spelled that correctly).

need i mention that notorious b.i.g.'s ready to die was re-issued this year? yes? buy it! and even though this one may not seem like it is in the same vein as madvillian, it really is. i think a lot of undie hip-hop was influenced by this album.
and

and there's also the dfa produced automato! it's charming ("i open up my sock and put a pebble inside / so this way i always got a rock in my stride") but the vocals are pretty muddy and not very memorable anyway (i couldn't quote a single other line from the disc).

you might also be interested in madlib's band, yesterdays new quintet. they properly released stevie, an album of classic stevie wonder songs refigured. it's pretty good.

i'll try to make it easier for you...these are the albums i suggest picking up, in this order, to fit into that same madvillian vein:

viktor vaughn, vaudeville villian (mf doom personality)
notorious b.i.g., ready to die
dm & jemini, ghetto pop life
murs, murs 3:16: the ninth edition
kno, white albulum
madlib, shades of blue
king geedorah, take me to your leader (mf doom produced)
kmd, mr hood (if you can)
yesterdays new quintet, stevie
Old 09-22-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, fallow!
Old 09-22-04, 02:10 PM

Some of my favorite albums are:

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Nas - Illmatic
Dr. Dre - The Chronic and Chronic 2001
GZA - Liquid Swords
Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx.....
Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt

There are plenty more classic albums.
Old 09-22-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FrankTheTank
Some of my favorite albums are:

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Nas - Illmatic
Dr. Dre - The Chronic and Chronic 2001
GZA - Liquid Swords
Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx.....
Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt

There are plenty more classic albums.
Thanks, Frank!

Believe it or not, I've got all of those (with the exception of Chronic 2001). I'm actually looking for more recent stuff.
Old 09-22-04, 03:26 PM

One of the most recent ones I can think of is Masta Killa's No Said Date. Masta really brings it back to the old Wu-Tang days.
Old 09-23-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Recent albums worth getting:

50 Cent - "Get Rich or Die Tryin'"
Eminem - "The Eminem Show"
Eyedea & Abilities - "E&A"
C-Rayz - "Ravipops"
Aesop Rock - "Bazooka Tooth"
Cannibal Ox - "The Cold Vein"
Nas - "Stillmatic"
Jay-z - "The Black Album"

Can you tell I like Shady/Aftermath and Def Jux yet ? Anywho pretty good mix of underground/mainstream there. A lot of it is love it or hate it, so you might want to try and sample first.
Old 09-23-04, 02:46 AM

Devin The Dude - To The XTreme.

Seriously. Nobody has heard of this guy.