TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Veronica Mars - Series Premiere - 9/22/04

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Veronica Mars - Series Premiere - 9/22/04

http://www.upn.com/shows/veronica_mars/

VERONICA MARS is set in the wealthy, seaside community of Neptune, where the rich and powerful make the rules, own the town and the high school, and desperately try to keep their dirty little secrets just that…secret. Unfortunately for them, there's Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell) a smart, fearless 17-year-old, apprentice private investigator dedicated to solving the town's toughest mysteries. During the day, Veronica must still negotiate high school like any average teenage girl. Along with fellow outcast, sophomore Wallace Fennel (Percy Daggs III), she bravely maneuvers her classes, wary of former in-crowd friends, like ex-boyfriend Duncan Kane (Teddy Dunn) and his best friend Logan Echolls (Jason Dohring), and edgy outsiders, like Weevil (Francis Capra) and his P.C.H. Bike Club boys. At night, Veronica looks after her former-Sheriff father Keith Mars (Enrico Colantoni) and helps with his struggling, new private investigator business. By sneaking through back alleys and scoping out no-tell motels with a telescopic-lens camera and her math book, Veronica attempts to uncover the California beach town's darkest secrets, including who killed her best friend and Duncan's sister, Lilly, and created a scandal that cost her father his job, his home and wife. Pushed to the edge of this multicultural, venomous little Peyton Place, Veronica Mars relentlessly continues to search for evidence that will clear her father's name and get her back into the "in-crowd," but what she finds may tear the town of Neptune apart at the seams.

Anyone going to watch? I'm going to check it out tonight; early reviews have sounded good. It is strange it is premiering on Wednesday night, though-- I guess the regular night will be Tuesdays. Wednesday's regular show in this time slot will be "Kevin Hill", which premieres next week (another UPN show I am actually going to watch.)
Old 09-22-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I was actually thinking about watching this and Kevin Hill (if that is the show w/ Taye Diggs), too.
Old 09-22-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that also, it premieres on a Wednesday and then moves to Tuesdays after one week. Are they trying to confuse/frustrate people right off the bat? What possible rationale could they have for doing this? Did they have a Moesha marathon on last night or something?
Old 09-22-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This pops up on my Replay as playing on MTV later in the week...is this a permanent thing? It would really make my Tuesday viewing/Replaying a lot easier.
Old 09-22-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants
What possible rationale could they have for doing this?
Wanting to use their most popular series as a lead-in to try to entice new viewers? That'd be my guess.
Old 09-22-04, 05:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I think I'm going to watch. I was going to watch The Mountain but that's been getting killed in every review I've read.
Old 09-22-04, 06:07 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't know why this is on in the evenings, looks more like a kiddy show to me.
Old 09-22-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On my radar to watch tonight, this and a few other premieres. The reviews make this sound so promising....
Old 09-22-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is definitely not a kiddie show. Anyhow, a very promising pilot episode, good intro to an already complex teenage female PI with plenty of traumatic life experiences, but appears to have been able to deal with those curveballs and keeps on hacking.

I'll be tuning in for more of that cute lil' marshmallow...
Old 09-22-04, 10:44 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
This was a pleasent surprise, I really enjoyed it.

Kristen Bell is great as Veronica.
Old 09-23-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Solid Show! Nice edge to it, I cannot believe I will be watching something on UPN??
Old 09-23-04, 10:06 AM

Pretty good. I hope it lasts the full season.
Old 09-23-04, 01:57 PM

So this was on last night? Does anybody know for sure if it replays at all?
Old 09-23-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
It's apparently being replayed on MTV on September 28th at 7 PM EST.
Old 09-23-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This was excellent, I hope the ratings were good. I'm already completely into all the characters and plotlines. It's almost like a non-weird "Twin Peaks".

The lead biker was the young Cologero in A Bronx Tale!
Old 09-23-04, 02:36 PM

Cool, Thanks for the info Adam. I wasn't expecting for it to be shown out of it's regular timeslot.
Old 09-23-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
So this is what happens to Smallville's Chloe after going into witness protection.
Old 09-23-04, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by regent
So this was on last night? Does anybody know for sure if it replays at all?
It'll be replayed tomorrow (Friday 9/24) at 9.
Old 09-23-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Wow - what a pleasant suprise!

Very good show to set up the characters and stories - they fit quite a bit into an hour.
Old 09-23-04, 09:10 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was surprised how good that show was. I really liked most of the music. Some of it sounded like Air. There was one scene that I really wanted to know what the song was. I think it was when she lost her virginity. Anybody know which song that was or anywhere I could find a list of songs from the show?
Old 09-24-04, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
So this is what happens to Smallville's Chloe after going into witness protection.
Man that was wigging me out. Her character is a lot loke Chloe from the spunky attitude right down to the feathered hair style. Trippy.

I really liked this. It was a really nice surprise as I just heard about the show this week. Some really interesting characters, with Veronica being about as complex as they come. I just hope its around long enough to get to the bottom of all the mysteries. Like UPN can really afford to get rid of a show of this quality.
Old 09-24-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to bump this thread since I just caught up to watching it today. Wow, I really really enjoyed this

Since Chloe wont be in this season of smallville (Atleast for a while) this is a good substitute since Kristen Bell really does carry that look and feel.

My fear is UPN will can it just like they did with Jake 2.0 and so forth. But I'm really liking this show. It had a lot of what I liked about CSI in it and delievered really well.
Old 09-25-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched most of this pilot again tonight in HDTV because I thought it was a nice strong pilot that lays out the groundwork and gives room for the show to breathe.
Old 09-25-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was pretty good.

I could have done without the Smallville spoiler though.
Old 09-25-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched this tonight, and thought the story was ok, but I have a few gripes with the characters.

If Veronica's family is so poor, how does she afford the convertible, relatively nice apartment and office, fancy laptop and designer clothes?

If the bikers are also poor (as stated on the show's website), how can they possibly afford those bikes being only 16-18-years-old?

I know we are supposed to suspend disbelief with some things, but if you are constantly pushing the "poor" aspect, it doesn't make sense to show her using a brand new laptop in the next scene. Things like that just pull me out of the show.

Last edited by NitroJMS; 09-25-04 at 01:58 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.