Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need recommendations for coordinating connections around InFocus X1

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I just purchased an Infocus X1 DLP projector today (won't be picking it up until tomorrow).

The projector only has a limited number of inputs.

Can someone recommend some affordable solutions to managing three video sources (progressive scan DVD player, XBox and HDTV-cable box) into the projector?

I'm currently thinking of mounting the projector to my bookshelf and placing the components beneath or to the side of the projector.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-04, 03:26 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a receiver? Does it have component video switching capabilities and can it pass an HDTV signal? If so, I'd connect everything to it and then connect the video out to the projector. You might need an adapter though.

You could connect the DVD player and the XBox to the receiver and then the rec. to the X1's interlaced component input for regular component switching (using the Infocus' Farouja chip to make the image progressive.) Then connect the HDTV cable box to the VGA input on the X1.

Here's some info on connection options and the adapters you'll need:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/screenplay_4800.htm
Both the X1 and the Screenplay 4800 come with a VGA 15-pin computer cable, by which you can feed HDTV and component 480p into the VGA port. However, in addition the Screenplay 4800 comes standard with an S-video cable. It also comes with an RCA to VGA cable adapter. This is handy if you want to use an RCA component video cable you already have to connect an RCA output to the VGA port. However you can accomplish the same thing with the X1 by ordering the adapter as an optional accessory, or buying an RCA to VGA cable and thus eliminating the problem.

The X1/4800 is designed with a special seven-pin S-video connector that lets you input a component interlaced (480i) signal into the S-video port. InFocus provides an adapter that interfaces an RCA component cable to this special port. This adapter used to be shipped standard with the X1, but is no longer. It is now standard only with the Screenplay 4800. However, if you buy the X1 and you want this adapter, you can buy it for $20 on the Infocus website. So the fact that this adapter no longer ships with the X1 is not a good reason to spend $500 more for the Screenplay 4800.
Old 09-24-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
Do you have a receiver? Does it have component video switching capabilities and can it pass an HDTV signal? If so, I'd connect everything to it and then connect the video out to the projector. You might need an adapter though.

You could connect the DVD player and the XBox to the receiver and then the rec. to the X1's interlaced component input for regular component switching (using the Infocus' Farouja chip to make the image progressive.) Then connect the HDTV cable box to the VGA input on the X1.
Unfortunately, my receiver's pretty old (an old pro-logic system) so it only has composite connectors on the back. Any other possiblities, outside of purchasing a new receiver?

But please clarify something for me: what is the X1's interlaced component input?? The only inputs I see are the VGA port, a S-VHS port, and a composite port? If you mean the composite, won't I lose the HD capabilities of the XBoX and the progressive scan capabilities of the DVD player???

Sorry...I'm kind of new to this stuff.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-04, 04:36 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look closely, the s-video port on the Infocus has a few extra holes than a standard s-video port. They have an adapter that allows you to connect an interlaced component video cable to the s-video port.

I read your other thread too...not sure what the problem is with your HD box, but are you sure your DVD player is set to output a progressive video signal? Because if not, that would explain why you aren't getting video.

I think you're going to have to get an HD capable component video switcher. I don't have HD, so I'm not sure where you'd get one, but try doing a search in this forum for a component video switcher. I'm pretty sure I read about one here (or at the AVS forums http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb ).