Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Issues on Star Wars: A New Hope DVD

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 06:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues on Star Wars: A New Hope DVD

I hope that I am posting this in the correct forum. If not, please point me to the correct one and please move it there. Anyway here goes.

Ran out and picked up the eagerly awaited Trilogy boxset this morning. Popped in A New Hope and was immediatey impressed with both picture and sound quality. However I have two issues. At several locations in the film the name of one of the commentary participants comes up over the film (I'm watching widescreen on a 4x3 TV). I am not listening to the commentary when this happens. I circled through the various sub-title options but I could not get the names to stop coming up over the top of the film in the upper black bar. Very distracting.

Second issue is during several of the space battle sequences I can very clearly see a sort of square (matte lines I think) around several TIE fighters. I have a Sony DVD player playing through component connections to a Sony Wega 36" TV. I did not see either of these issues in The Empire Strikes Back. I haven't watched Return of the Jedi as yet.

Any comments from others appreciated.
Thanks.

A.
Old 09-21-04, 09:48 PM

For the first issue, make sure your subtitles are turned off. I chose to listen to the disc with the commentary, with subtitiles so I could follow the film. Initially, I noticed the exact same thing you did. There is a subtitle track for the commentary that displays the name of the 'speaker' every time they begin to speak. There is also a seperate subtitile track for the actual film.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-21-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
The mattes are from the original FX work, guess it's just another thing that wasn't as high on the "fix" list as adding farting aliens.
Old 09-22-04, 12:15 AM
Cool New Member

I also noticed a weird problem on a New Hope. When C3PO is walking around Tatooine in the desert, the screen seems to change colors. Kinda like the bright sandy color to a greenish tinged color then back again. It doesn't seem to stay consistent at all. Has anyone else noticed this, or maybe it is my TV...?
Old 09-22-04, 12:18 AM

I noticed the squares around the TIE fighters as well.

Also, the Episode IV disc hiccups for me in two places (both of them on the M. Falcon as Luke is practicing w/ the lightsaber). It got all broken up and pixellated. It's not the DVD player either, as I made sure to test it on another player.

I wonder if there's a way I can get a replacement.
Old 09-22-04, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Soybean
Episode IV disc hiccups for me in two places (both of them on the M. Falcon as Luke is practicing w/ the lightsaber). It got all broken up and pixellated. It's not the DVD player either, as I made sure to test it on another player.
The player you have the problem on is having difficulty re-establishing integrity at the layer change
Old 09-22-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been hearing lots of issues about the ANH disc

damn! My DVD set is on the way!!
Old 09-23-04, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by cokekiller
I also noticed a weird problem on a New Hope. When C3PO is walking around Tatooine in the desert, the screen seems to change colors. Kinda like the bright sandy color to a greenish tinged color then back again. It doesn't seem to stay consistent at all. Has anyone else noticed this, or maybe it is my TV...?
More green comments! I swear there is green all over this transfer that probably isn't supposed to be there.
Old 09-23-04, 11:28 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The squares around the Tie fighters was pretty bad. Instead of making addtional changes to the movie, you would of thought they could've fixed these issues first.
Old 09-23-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if the brightness on people's TVs are turned up too high? I watched ANH and didn't notice the matte boxes. But, then again, I wasn't looking for them.
Old 09-23-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jarofclay73
I wonder if the brightness on people's TVs are turned up too high? I watched ANH and didn't notice the matte boxes. But, then again, I wasn't looking for them.
I didn't notice any matte boxes till jedi when three tie fighters were chasing down the falcon inside the death star
Old 09-27-04, 09:54 PM

still can't get the commentary subtitles to go off
Old 09-28-04, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
The mattes are from the original FX work, guess it's just another thing that wasn't as high on the "fix" list as adding farting aliens.
Old 09-29-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could have sworn the matte boxes were fixed back in 1997. It surprised me to see them on DVD. But hey, should please the original theatrical release purists, eh!?
Old 09-29-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not seen one matte box or matte line except for one the Tie/Falcon battle after the escape from the Death Star, in ROTJ just as the A-Wing fighter enters the death star corridor, and one shot in ESB. I've seen no mattes in any space battles. Other than that, nothing. Most of the mattes were cleaned up. They missed some. I even turned contrast up and I still haven't seen any other than in those scenes.

So I have no idea what you guys are seeing, again, except in the scenes I mentioned.

As for the subtitle thing, make sure "subtitles" are turned off on your player.

Last edited by Terrell; 09-29-04 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-30-04, 12:48 AM

I have no problems with the cleaned up video on any of these movies. The audio on ANH was handled very poorly.
Old 09-30-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Pretend the matte boxes are the ships' deflector shields
Old 09-30-04, 02:29 PM

The commentary subtitle issue also occurs on the EP I and EP II discs.
Old 10-02-04, 01:56 AM
Banned

Oh geez, this is stupid.

First of all, the only matte lines that I could still detect was during the one scene in ESB where a couple TIEs go screeming towards the Super Star Destroyer on its way to Hoth. And maybe, just maybe perhaps during the "B-17" Falcon battle in ANH.

The ESB scene has always had those, but they are way less noticable now than they used to be. The ANH scene has also been cleaned up quite a bit since the original version. You may be able to detect some there, but I thought they had that scene cleaned up pretty well.

As far as the subtitles problem....I swear, I don't know how people get these problems. I've got a 3-year old Pioneer DV-434 player and I have never encountered any sort of subtitle problem on any disc.

I don't have a problem with the Jabba subtitles in either ANH or ROTJ. Some dialogue from Jabba in ROTJ never had subtitles. I always knew what he was saying anyway during those instances because I read both the novelization in '86 and the comic adaptation of ROTJ, and the full dialogue was in those two mediums.

But in the end, it really doesn't matter because you're all just a bunch of 'bantha poodoo'.
Old 10-02-04, 06:53 AM

I've seen the speaker's names appear as a subtitle as well. I find that this is likely to occur if I turn on the subtitles and then turn them off. The only way I can get rid of them is to eject the disk and restart it. I've seen this problem on other disks in the past.
Old 10-02-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
Pretend the matte boxes are the ships' deflector shields
Old 10-07-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CreatureX
But Tie Fighters don't have shields!

I just watched it myself, anytime the Tie Fighters in ANH weren't heading straight towards or away from the screen I saw the brownish mattes. It's too bad they didn't clean those up.
Old 10-07-04, 12:38 PM

I have the matte boxes on ANH as well and some slight shifts between green and normal colours in some of the tatooine scenes but you have to look really hard to notice it.