Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : BlockBuster - Get $8 minimum on October 3rd

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

NCYankee
10-25-04, 02:48 AM
Traded in a few today - the odd thing was, they gave me $10 credit for my crappy old mono Animal House CE (upgrading to the Double Secret Probation edition). I think whomever programmed their prices has this version mixed up with the OLD version of AH, which is pretty rare and valuable (judging by the prices at dvds123.com).

eau
10-25-04, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by cluex
will you get more if the dvds are still in their wrapping?
You might get more on ebay but it depends on the title though.

badlieut
10-25-04, 07:21 AM
I traded in 16 DVDs at $8 each. I had some sealed that I just opened up b/c ebay wouldn't have been worth it for them. I got $8 for the free Do You Believe in Miracles? DVD.

TripWire
10-25-04, 08:26 AM
Upper East Side BB was strict. They would only take 11 of my 25 DVD's. Some of them she wouldn't even check to see if it was in the system, she would just say no. Like one was Chelsea Walls, which I rented from Blockbuster before..so I don't get it.

shadowhawk2020
10-25-04, 10:58 AM
Spent $54 got 18 dvd's at a pawn shop went and turned them in and got an xbox. After tax it was a total of $60! THe xbox is a gift for a friend for christmas.

leland
10-25-04, 11:09 AM
Hmm, they don't give me tax back on the DVDs I trade in... and I get the Value card too.

Originally posted by StrTrkker
All the BBV here in Joliet, IL area are doing the sale.

I went today and got credit on 15 of them. I got 3 options on how I could credited...

1. Put the total on a BBV Value Card (Including Tax)
2. Put the total on a BBV Gift Card (minus the Tax...the tax goes into your store credit account)
3. Put the total on your store credit account. However...this option only lets you get credit in that store ONLY.

I chosed the Value Card as you can use that in any BBV. While I was there the BBV CSR told me some lady (who owns a small video store) came in earlier and got a credit of over $3000.

Unreal...

Auto'd DVD's
10-25-04, 11:21 AM
Traded more in Georgia:
Trurt About Demons
Beautiful Mind
Evil Dead
Being Mick
Mothman
Roswell UFO Cover Up
Glass House
Others
Hearts in Atlantis
Born On The 4th
Signs
Drop Dead Gorgeous
K2:Ultimate High
Tango & Cash
Don't Say A Word
Blair Witch
Vanilla Sky
V
Children Shouldn't Play w/Dead Things
Ali
Creepshow 2
eta: Bedazzled (yet another gem)
--------->$176 (no tax added to VC either)

Now I'm up to $288-Hello New Criterions on the shelf! - Traded for this lot of sticker ridden, non-insert toting, shelf hogging, low replay value conondrum!!! Tried to order LT but he said the MSRP was $29.99 but their price was $59.99. He scratched head and said to come back in a week...

Shap
10-25-04, 11:39 AM
Odd little story..

I traded in a sealed copy of "Sea of Love" and the cashier opened it first to inspect the disc. Wouldn't they be able to sell it for more sealed? And if for some reason the disc was scratched, how could they not accept it after they unwrapped it?

They took it so I didn't really have to deal with that situation, but I find that kind of odd. I know I wouldn't take the DVD back once Blockbuster opened and rejected it. It sounds like a customer service nightmare waiting to happen.

Ginwen
10-25-04, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by leland
Hmm, they don't give me tax back on the DVDs I trade in... and I get the Value card too. Me either, and I'm basically where you are, so it may be a state-by-state thing whether or not you get the tax.

Trevor
10-25-04, 12:03 PM
Sorry to be a pain, I've been trying to keep up with the thread, but want to make sure I didn't miss a post...

It appears that no BBVs in Virginia or Maryland are doing this deal, correct?

stingermck
10-25-04, 12:27 PM
I traded in a sealed copy of "Sea of Love" and the cashier opened it first to inspect the disc. Wouldn't they be able to sell it for more sealed? And if for some reason the disc was scratched, how could they not accept it after they unwrapped it?

Same thing happened with me, with a sealed copy of Beyond Borders. Sounds like we both cashed in on the overstock deal. They said it was the rules, that they had to look at the disc, despite it being sealed.

NCYankee
10-25-04, 12:35 PM
They say it is to insure that the disc hasn't been removed, switched, etc. and re-shrink wrapped.

Auto'd DVD's
10-25-04, 01:05 PM
They opened my Roan Cagney Collection...then said they couldn't take that title...

majorjoe23
10-25-04, 01:10 PM
I went to a couple Blockbusters yesterday and none of them were participating in this. :(

Shap
10-25-04, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Trevor
Sorry to be a pain, I've been trying to keep up with the thread, but want to make sure I didn't miss a post...

It appears that no BBVs in Virginia or Maryland are doing this deal, correct?

The BBV in Carytown, Richmond, VA is participating.

shadowhawk2020
10-25-04, 02:02 PM
Isn't it game rush stores?

Trevor
10-25-04, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Shap
The BBV in Carytown, Richmond, VA is participating.

Thanks Shap!

I have maybe 60 DVDs that I can part with, so maybe I'll make the trip next week, calling first to make sure they are participating.

Fanboy
10-25-04, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know if any stores in Western NY are participating? I found one store in Erie, PA, but that's it.

Rochester would be nice.

shadowhawk2020
10-25-04, 03:40 PM
The way I found local stores that were doing it is, call the nearest one and ask if there are any GameRush BlockBusters in your area. All three Gamerush stores in my area are participating!

TimeandTide
10-25-04, 05:07 PM
Same thing happened with me, with a sealed copy of Beyond Borders. Sounds like we both cashed in on the overstock deal. They said it was the rules, that they had to look at the disc, despite it being sealed.

I think it depends on the patience of the employee. I've taken in three sealed DVD's and neither of the people assisting me bothered to open the case. One gave up in frustration and the other just added it to the pile.

Spiderbite
10-25-04, 05:37 PM
Anyone here know if any of the Birmingham or any Alabama area stores are doing this? I called several of the major ones in the Birmingham area & they are only doing a $5 minimum.

Peep
10-25-04, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by TimeandTide
I think it depends on the patience of the employee. I've taken in three sealed DVD's and neither of the people assisting me bothered to open the case. One gave up in frustration and the other just added it to the pile.

I've turned in about 50-60 discs in about 4 or 5 different trips and at least 10 of them were sealed. They never opened any of them. Also, they've rejected about 20 or so of my discs because of barcode issues, and they never opened any of them either.

If you have concerns about them opening your discs, make sure that the barcode is in their system first. It would piss me off if they opened one of my discs (making it potentially less valuable elsewhere) and then rejected it.

philo
10-25-04, 07:47 PM
Does Blockbuster's website show the amount you have left on the value card and does anyone know if they can be used for the online rental service?

StrTrkker
10-25-04, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Peep

If you have concerns about them opening your discs, make sure that the barcode is in their system first. It would piss me off if they opened one of my discs (making it potentially less valuable elsewhere) and then rejected it. [/B]

I have been to 4 different BBV the last few days and get different responses on trade-ins.

One BBV CSR told me that as of last Friday that typing in the title of a movie will no longer be done and ONLY scanning the UPC is allowed. However, I turned in a copy of Zoolander at another BBV and the UPC wouldnt work so I asked the CSR to type it in...She didnt even know you could do that. It did work and I got $8 for that DVD.

Another BBV told me that the original pilot program started in Michigan over the summer and now is going on in most states and will end this Sunday. Another BBV told me that there is no specific date it will end.

Another BBV told me that the Tax on trade-ins can not be added to Gift Cards and only to your in-store account...another BBV actually added my tax to my GC.

Geist
10-25-04, 11:34 PM
It seems to me that if you have a DVD still sealed and new as the day you took it off the shelf, you should be able to return it someplace for a store credit. Whether that turns out to be more than the $8 that Blockbuster will give you is another story -- a lot of places will only give you back credit for the lowest priced indicated in their computer within the last 6 months, meaning that if there was a 3 for $15 deal you could get a few bucks less -- but technically you're not selling back "Pre-Viewed" movies at all.

I know a lot of stores won't give you store credit without a receipt nowadays, but it still feels a little shady to me.

thanador
10-26-04, 12:28 AM
Hit three different BBVs today to trry and trade in a total of about 110 DVDs.

The first one only allowed me to trade on 10 DVDs, but did also allow my girlfriend to open an account and trade in an additional 10. Scored $162 on a value card (got $10 for Dragon's Lair 2, go figure). They wanted to open the sealed ones I had, so I just dug through and gave them already opened ones. One surprise was that West Side Story was not in their system.

Second one took unlimited DVDs but were VERY picky. They would not accept any DVD that did not have a region code on the packaging, which excludes most Anchor Bay and Artisan DVDs. It also amusingly excludes DVDs made by DEJ, which happens to be BBV's in-house brand. She would also not take any that they had "0 inventory need" for. She wound up taking 17 of what I had left for $8 each. Those that were still sealed that scanned in to take she opened and inspected. After all that, she would not put it on a value card and gave me store credit only.

Third one also took unlimited DVDs but were much more helpful. She typed in titles that wouldn't scan and there was no issue with taking DVDs without a region code. I received a value card for ~$260. Sealed DVDs were not inspected. A few opened DVDs were rejected as being scratched (including 2 I had bought used at BBV and never watched. How amusing).

So, it really really seems YMMV with this promotion. I'll be trying some more stores tomorrow.

NCYankee
10-26-04, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by thanador
A few opened DVDs were rejected as being scratched (including 2 I had bought used at BBV and never watched. How amusing).

Same thing happened to me - since the DVD was still on sale for $7.99, I just planned to swap my scratched copy and eat the tax, but they wouldn't take it. Two passes through the DVD Doctor and it looks almost like new, so I decided to keep it. (There were a lot of scatches, but they were very shallow).

Neuman
10-26-04, 12:41 AM
I originally traded in about 14 DVDs. The convenience store next to where I work rent DVDs, and also have a bunch of previewed DVDs for sale. They are about $8 each. I offered $150 for all 43 of em, drove over to Blockbuster, and 30 minutes later I have a Value Card for $321! And the convenience store still owes me 5 mroe DVDs that they had to look for. I have no idea what I'm going to buy though.

NCYankee
10-26-04, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Neuman
They are about $8 each. I offered $150 for all 43 of em, drove over to Blockbuster, and 30 minutes later I have a Value Card for $321!

Wow - nice discount, $8 down to $3.50. I bought 20 $4 DVDs at a pawn shop to trade in, the bitchy manager wouldn't even knock off the tax :grunt:

GMLSKIS
10-26-04, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by philo
Does Blockbuster's website show the amount you have left on the value card and does anyone know if they can be used for the online rental service?

I would say no to the first question but you can always have the cashier in the store check for you. On the second question according to the online terms the answer is no. Right now I'm doing the free trial and would continue if I could use my value card. I emailed them last week asking why you can't and they never got back to me. Without being able to use it I will cancel and try Netflix next.

Neuman
10-26-04, 01:08 AM
I'm looking around at Blockbuster.com, and granted I haven't looked at much yet, but searching for Akira Kurosawa and Takashi Miike films, many have similiar prices to amazon.com. So not all of Blockbuster's prices are that bad.

RyoHazuki
10-27-04, 12:15 AM
Has anyone found a BB in AZ that will allow trade ins? I've tried several and they've all said that dont do trade ins.

GMLSKIS
10-27-04, 01:45 AM
They emailed me back today why they won't allow a value card to be used for online rental. They want a credit card on file to keep billing you month after month if you don't cancel.

porieux
10-28-04, 02:42 AM
Damn, they won't take Troma's?? That is suck.

SLOmade
10-28-04, 03:27 AM
Got in for $280 in store credit...got rid of a bunch of junk DVDs that i got as gifts. My BBV said that the $8 deal ends on Halloween. Might give another pass through your collections for one last hurrah.

ScottyWH
10-28-04, 08:25 AM
So does anyone know if they stopped doing the $8 minimum yet? I know that some were told it would be over on 11-1-2004 and others were told this past Tuesday (10-26-2004)... so which is it?

BrewCrew
10-28-04, 09:12 AM
They are still doing the $8 minimum.

marty888
10-28-04, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ScottyWH
So does anyone know if they stopped doing the $8 minimum yet? I know that some were told it would be over on 11-1-2004 and others were told this past Tuesday (10-26-2004)... so which is it?

ENDS NOVEMBER 1

This is printed on their little flyers that were around early on.

datagirl7
10-29-04, 02:25 PM
Now, I'm trying to decide if it's worth dumping off the remaining 20 or so non-anamorphic dvds I've got.

Some of them are definitely going as i won't watch them or they have anamorphic replacements avaialble, but others are good movies but have no new version:

Pi, Last of the Mohicans, God Will Huntin, The Game, Grosse Pointe Blank, the Abyss, 2001, Office Space, and Last Emperor, for example, and I'm torn whether I should keep them, or get rid of them and replace them as anamorphics become available.

anyone face the same decision? What did you do?

MJKTool
10-29-04, 02:33 PM
I know there has been talk of the Abyss and Office space getting new anamorphic transers.

NCYankee
10-29-04, 02:40 PM
Last of the Mohicans DTS is anamorphic.

There is a Canadian release of Good Will Hunting which is anamorphic - Alliance is the studio IIRC. Also has some good bonus features.

DJ_Longfellow
10-29-04, 02:56 PM
Yep, still going strong...I traded in 2 more...F13th and Fast Times at Ridgemont High

datagirl7
10-29-04, 03:10 PM
I've traded in 54 so far, plus 2 to ebay that bb wouldn't take.

If I trade in all my non-anamorphic (which it sounds like would be a good move at this time), that'll be another 30, for a total of about 85 traded in total.

I only started with a little over 200 movies, so with this reduction, my collection is a lot cleaner and is weighted more toward the good but less known movies, just the way I like it.

SFranke
10-29-04, 05:33 PM
To those in Hillsborough County in Florida, the Blockbuster on North 30th Avenue in Tampa Palms told me they would be running this promotion in January.

Jippy
10-29-04, 05:56 PM
I might run back there one more time since the deal is supposed to end this weekend. I'm debating dumping all of my Matrix DVDs in anticipation of the boxset in December.

datagirl7
10-29-04, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Jippy
I might run back there one more time since the deal is supposed to end this weekend. I'm debating dumping all of my Matrix DVDs in anticipation of the boxset in December.

I'd do that, but none fo the extras included is the same, so I'll have both. I hate when they do that.

Legolas
10-29-04, 06:43 PM
I'm contemplating whether or not I want to dump my Robotech Legacy box sets (though it's just $16 a box with the BB deal) and getting the new remastered ones. Since I doubt they'd give me credit for the bonus discs, maybe I'll just keep them.

kevin75
10-29-04, 08:45 PM
the only BB that is doing this around here is 2 hours away so i was driving by and traded in 8 discs that i wanted to get rid of. then i hit a pawn shop and found some $4 DVD's so i bought a few of those to trade to bump my total up to $152. they wouldn't take discs that didn't have region codes on them and they told me that the sale was ending nov. 7 not the 1st.

gameover2k2
10-29-04, 09:43 PM
Man.. one of the BB has Hellboy Director cut for $29.99.. should I get it? I'm sure they will come out with Hellboy 2 sometime in the future and I"ll probably have to get the boxset anyway..

ScottyWH
10-29-04, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by kevin75
... they told me that the sale was ending nov. 7 not the 1st.

I hope that's right...

nonametofame
10-29-04, 11:28 PM
I saw some valued price dvds for $2 a piece at a Sav On Drugs in Costa Mesa, CA. They are all viable looking titles sealed in amaray cases. Does anybody know if these qualify for a trade in?

crapkilla
10-29-04, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by ScottyWH
I hope that's right...

The cashier at mine went around the corner to read off of a flyer when I asked and she said the 1st. Now whether that means the 1st (Monday) they'll still accept or OCt 31 at midnight, I don't know.

conscience
10-29-04, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by nonametofame
I saw some valued price dvds for $2 a piece at a Sav On Drugs in Costa Mesa, CA. They are all viable looking titles sealed in amaray cases. Does anybody know if these qualify for a trade in?

The only thing I know to tell you is this:

1.) Get the UPC's of the dvds and call BB and ask them to type it in to see if they will take it.

or

2.) Since they are $2 cheapie dvds, there are probably more than one version of some titles. Sometimes (depends on how cool and easygoing the employee is) if the UPC code isn't in their system but the title is, they might take it.

Ex:

I had a copy of The Terror with Jack Nicholson (I just got the $5.50 Classic Jack -4 of his older movies- from Wal-Mart that included the Terror). I took The Terror up to BB and when they scanned the UPC, it did not come up. The employee typed in the titled and they had some other version of the movie. There is like 5 versions of this movie out on dvd. He just chose the one that was in their system and gave me $8 for it. I originally paid $2.50+tax for it.

raytrade
10-30-04, 06:11 AM
I went into BBV with a bunch of sealed cheapie DVDs from Vina Distribution, one of the common studios that have the $1-$2 titles you find in stores. These are the usual public domain titles but in keep cases, not the cardboard sleeves that we already know BBV won't take. The clerk started crediting me by looking up the titles since the bar codes wouldn't scan, but then the manager walked by, flipped through my stack, and rejected them all, saying corporate had told them not to accept any Vina Distribution titles since "they're only worth 2 bucks". This was not an issue of the UPC having to scan, as they looked up a few other titles I had brought in that were not by Vina that didn't scan, and took those. This sucks for me because these were mostly duplicate titles I had purchased just so I could sell them to BBV. When they first started the $8 deal, I had successfully traded a few in and so went all out and basically bought one of every Vina title in the store. Now I'm stuck with duplicates and/or titles I don't want. Sigh...

conscience
10-30-04, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by raytrade
I went into BBV with a bunch of sealed cheapie DVDs from Vina Distribution, one of the common studios that have the $1-$2 titles you find in stores. These are the usual public domain titles but in keep cases, not the cardboard sleeves that we already know BBV won't take. The clerk started crediting me by looking up the titles since the bar codes wouldn't scan, but then the manager walked by, flipped through my stack, and rejected them all, saying corporate had told them not to accept any Vina Distribution titles since "they're only worth 2 bucks". This was not an issue of the UPC having to scan, as they looked up a few other titles I had brought in that were not by Vina that didn't scan, and took those. This sucks for me because these were mostly duplicate titles I had purchased just so I could sell them to BBV. When they first started the $8 deal, I had successfully traded a few in and so went all out and basically bought one of every Vina title in the store. Now I'm stuck with duplicates and/or titles I don't want. Sigh...

Did you happen to get by with them not unsealing them?

If so, take them back to wherever they came from.

superdeluxe
10-30-04, 03:52 PM
Anyone know when the trade in 3 games and get a extra 5$ ends?

baxtor07
10-30-04, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by superdeluxe
Anyone know when the trade in 3 games and get a extra 5$ ends?

according to the flyer, offer expires 11/08/04

Michael Corvin
10-30-04, 05:37 PM
Quick question.

I don't have one of these stores near me that are participating. If I drive to one that does(about 45 mins), can I use the store credit at a local BBV? Or does it have to be the store that you trade the movies in to?

Legolas
10-30-04, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Quick question.

I don't have one of these stores near me that are participating. If I drive to one that does(about 45 mins), can I use the store credit at a local BBV? Or does it have to be the store that you trade the movies in to?

They'll put the money on a "value card" that you can spend at any BBV. Or if you can get the credit onto a gift card (i.e. buy a gift card with your value card), you can buy stuff online too.

conscience
10-30-04, 06:33 PM
Also if you want to buy online, get a gift card that has the scratch off pin number.

poncekim
10-30-04, 07:12 PM
I just returned a bunch of dvds and the store wouldn't let me convert the credit to a gift card or a value card.

Has this happened to anyone? I figured it was no big deal, since it was the closest store to me, but after I signed, I find that they don't have any game systems. They also said they don't special order dvds, so I'm basically, stuck with all this credit.

They said they are no longer allowed to convert it. Can anyone confirm that this is the new policy, or are they just lying to me. Can I call corporate to confirm? Thanks for any help.

Legolas
10-30-04, 07:31 PM
They wouldn't give you a value card?? My BB practically shoved it down my throat. I guess they don't want you going to another BB to spend your credit.

crapkilla
10-30-04, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by poncekim
I just returned a bunch of dvds and the store wouldn't let me convert the credit to a gift card or a value card.

Has this happened to anyone? I figured it was no big deal, since it was the closest store to me, but after I signed, I find that they don't have any game systems. They also said they don't special order dvds, so I'm basically, stuck with all this credit.

They said they are no longer allowed to convert it. Can anyone confirm that this is the new policy, or are they just lying to me. Can I call corporate to confirm? Thanks for any help.

They didn't even give me the option of anything other than the "value card" and I just traded like 30 today. Call corporate and raise hell.

Dabaomb
10-30-04, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by poncekim

if the credit is on your account, just buy a gift card for the full amount of the credit on your account. They SHOULD be able to do this with no problems.

poncekim
10-30-04, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I tried! I read all the post, so I didn't think I'd have this trouble. They wouldn't give me a value card, so I asked him if I could buy a gift card instead. He said he thinks that would be ok. Then he asked a co-worker, and she said that was not allowed.

Sigh, I will go back tonight and try with some new employees.

conscience
10-30-04, 10:17 PM
poncekim,

You definitely need to get in touch with higher management on this.

They are not allowed to make you keep the money on your account. Businesses in no way should force you to do something with what is the equivalent of money.

newbie2000
10-31-04, 12:03 PM
I also have some question about cheapies DVDs. Does anyone have experience with some really old movies that are made by one of the major studios? I saw some really old B movies at pawn shop for cheap. But I am hesitant because BBV might not take it and I'll be stuck with those cheap DVDs. They are in a regular plastic case and not the cheap ones.

superdeluxe
10-31-04, 03:30 PM
Anyone know where I can find the official rules or whatever for the bring in 3 games...get a additional 5$ for every game that you bring in?

I took in like 7 games..and I only got the additional 5$ on 4 of them.

cross
10-31-04, 03:43 PM
Does your BBV membership with trading account work at mutiple locations or does it only work at the location where you signed up orginally from?

And can these 2ndary locations still add credit to the same value card?

Thanks Fletch

C_Fletch
10-31-04, 03:57 PM
Cross: I've traded at multiple locations without any trouble and they were able to put the credit on an existing value card.

dvd2001
10-31-04, 05:17 PM
Re: the value card/ gift card issue.

I've been accumulating a large credit with this program, and have been getting it all put on a couple of value cards.

Today I went in with my last bunch of trades, and asked about being able to convert some of my credit to gift cards, either to give as gifts, or to be able to use online. I just want as many options as possible to be able to use this credit (about $1,000).

The clerk said that he didn't know if the value card could be used to buy a gift card, but I could definitely use in-store credit to buy a gift card. So, I said let's put today's trades on store credit, and then see if we could convert some of the other credit to gift cards.

When we were done with the trades, the clerk helped me find the kind of gift cards that have a variable value and could be used online (starting with 6016 code, a with scratch-off pin). I got 4 cards, wanting to put $100 on each, total $400. The clerk did the transaction, which automatically applied the store credit from today ($64), and then he was able to select an option to pay with the $336 balance from the value cards.

So, I can confirm that converting the value card to gift card can be done within their system. I guess you just have to find a clerk that is willing to do it. I wouldn't accept the argument that it can't be done, because now you can say, "well, I have a friend that just did it........."

Kaiser Soze
10-31-04, 06:54 PM
Got in on this deal late, but was still able to trade in 7 DVD's today. Got $60 on a value card. Great deal. Traded in mostly old stuff that I'd never watch again anyway.

Anybody know how long this deal is going on for? I asked the clerk today, and he said that it was only going on at select stores this fall. He couldn't give me a firm end date.

Still not sure what I'm going to end up getting. Definitely going to go through my collection again tonight and see what else I can live without.

superdeluxe
10-31-04, 07:14 PM
Today is the last day I believe..it ends tomorrow.

marty888
10-31-04, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser Soze

Anybody know how long this deal is going on for? I asked the clerk today, and he said that it was only going on at select stores this fall. He couldn't give me a firm end date.

The original printed ad for this said "thru November 1" - which sounds logical at least, since BB prmos almost always start on a Tuesday and end on a Monday.

conscience
10-31-04, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by cross
Does your BBV membership with trading account work at mutiple locations or does it only work at the location where you signed up orginally from?

And can these 2ndary locations still add credit to the same value card?

Thanks Fletch

Everytime I went to a different BB, they each made me sign a trade agreement, but you already have a membership so you don't have to do that again.

mr_jbloggs
10-31-04, 07:47 PM
I talked to people at 2 different BBVs and they said tomorrow (Nov 1st) is the last day for this offer.

Kaiser Soze
10-31-04, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by mr_jbloggs
I talked to people at 2 different BBVs and they said tomorrow (Nov 1st) is the last day for this offer.

So you can still trade stuff in tomorrow? Or is today the last day?

Kaiser Soze
10-31-04, 09:31 PM
Another quick question...does anyone have any recommendations of where to find cheap DVD's to trade in for this deal? Sorry if this question has already been asked, just too long of a thread to read through everything. Thanks in advance.

C_Fletch
10-31-04, 10:59 PM
Kaiser Soze: People have gone to pawn shops. I was just at one that had DVDs as low as 2.99 - Last Man Standing, which I bought for the collection. You should have dozens upon dozens of pawn shops in Chicago. Walmart has 5.50 DVDs. That's about it.

Kaiser Soze
11-01-04, 12:01 AM
Yeah, just thought of that. Did a quick search and found about 5 pawn shops within about a 4 mile radius of my house. Looks like I'll be making my rounds tomorrow. Thanks for the help. :)

jimbo w
11-01-04, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Got rid of 35 discs i wouldnt have watched again !

budster7
11-01-04, 02:33 AM
One of the earlier posts said that if you received the credit in the form of a value card, sales tax for the trade-in would also get credited on the card. I traded in 9 DVDs for a value card (of $72), but there was no extra credit for tax. At 8.25% sales tax, this would have been almost $6 extra for me. Are others who are getting credit in a value card getting this tax credit on their card?

FatTony
11-01-04, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by budster7
One of the earlier posts said that if you received the credit in the form of a value card, sales tax for the trade-in would also get credited on the card. I traded in 9 DVDs for a value card (of $72), but there was no extra credit for tax. At 8.25% sales tax, this would have been almost $6 extra for me. Are others who are getting credit in a value card getting this tax credit on their card?
I got no tax on mine. I think I remember reading somewhere in this incredibly long thread that it seems to vary from state to state.

SLOmade
11-01-04, 03:18 AM
after all said and done...$440 in store credit....what to get, what to get?!?!

iamOrokoSaki
11-01-04, 07:00 AM

Today (Monday) is the last day that you can trade in DVD's for $8 store credit, as of tomorrow this deal is dead.

shadowhawk2020
11-01-04, 08:02 AM
I got a total of $720 dollars credit, I spent a total of $180 on pawn shop dvd's. and traded in a few of my own. Plus I got a couple of pawn shop dvds for me that I wanted for $2 :)

I got:

$150 1 Xbox (a friends christmas present)
$150 1 PS2 (for me)
$ 50 1 GTA: SA (for me)
$150 3 Halo 2's (Preorder 1 for me 2 as gifts)
$ 20 1 Memory card
$ 50 1 GT4
$ 40 Late fees I owed to 4 different blocbusters.
With some change left.

StrTrkker
11-01-04, 08:50 AM

Some areas are not giving the tax on each DVD. Here in Illinois I get the tax added to my value card or if I choose a Gift Card the Tax goes into my account at that store...

mr_jbloggs
11-01-04, 08:56 AM

According to the employees I talked to, yes, you can trade in DVDs Today (Monday Nov 1st) but its the last day.

stingermck
11-01-04, 10:48 AM
I asked my store the other day when the sale ends, and i was told they haven't been given a date. I would love for it to continue a little longer.

*update* Mine ends today. they had over 150 trade ins yesterday alone.

Big Worms
11-01-04, 11:00 AM
I am going to have to take in my small stack this afternoon.

budster7
11-01-04, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by StrTrkker
Some areas are not giving the tax on each DVD. Here in Illinois I get the tax added to my value card or if I choose a Gift Card the Tax goes into my account at that store...

I'm in California. Is anyone in CA getting tax credit on their value card?

habers
11-01-04, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by iamOrokoSaki
Today (Monday) is the last day that you can trade in DVD's for $8 store credit, as of tomorrow this deal is dead.

Hmm, I just called my store and they said it ended yesterday. If they scan a DVD today will it scan the $8 min, or do each store program there own prices into the systems.

Peep
11-01-04, 12:20 PM
I'm in California. Is anyone in CA getting tax credit on their value card?

Not me (in LA/Sourthern CA).

Shap
11-01-04, 12:35 PM
I got my tax credit on my gift card. (Virginia)

The promotion is supposed to end today, according to the employee at the Blockbuster I went to.

Sewso
11-01-04, 12:41 PM
I traded some this morning in North Carolina, the store manager told me the deal ends tomorrow.

Big Worms
11-01-04, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Sewso
I traded some this morning in North Carolina, the store manager told me the deal ends tomorrow.

I just called my store and they said the same thing, ends tomorrow.

BJacks
11-01-04, 02:18 PM
I traded in a crapload of DVDs to get a PS2 only to realize after the fact that none of the BB's in NYC sell consoles. :(

I then took the rest to Electronics Boutique and took a hit on the amount they paid for them, but got a gift card that I'm using to pre-order the new PS2 (none of the EBs have it in stock yet).

kitkittykat
11-01-04, 02:22 PM
Told this ends on November 1st here in King County, Washington. Thanks guys for posting this. I cleaned through my collection, and scored $76. Lame I know, but I'm very happy:)

shawagg
11-01-04, 02:26 PM
Not me (in LA/Sourthern CA).

Not in the Bay Area either

Canis Firebrand
11-01-04, 04:23 PM
Unloaded 15 dvds and got $122 in credit. SHe asked me if I wanted it on my account or a gift card. I said gift card and she had no problems ringing it all up.
I had to fill out paperwork, as I never traded in used dvds before. Pretty easy though. Was easier then trying to sell on ebay or trading into a place like GameStop or EB for credit or other things.

Now, to figure out what I want to get.

shadowhawk2020
11-01-04, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by BJacks
I traded in a crapload of DVDs to get a PS2 only to realize after the fact that none of the BB's in NYC sell consoles. :(

I then took the rest to Electronics Boutique and took a hit on the amount they paid for them, but got a gift card that I'm using to pre-order the new PS2 (none of the EBs have it in stock yet).

If it is a gamerush store it should have consoles... Ask if there is one near you. Or see if they can special order it.

sade
11-01-04, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by BJacks

Same thing here. I was told that they were not selling good. Maybe they will sell them during Christmas ?

Sade

superdeluxe
11-01-04, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by kitkittykat
Told this ends on November 1st here in King County, Washington. Thanks guys for posting this. I cleaned through my collection, and scored $76. Lame I know, but I'm very happy:)

Any Blockbusters up there sell consoles?

I really do not want to drive to wilsonville OR

cross
11-02-04, 12:01 AM
I wanted to use my credit to buy an preowned xbox but none of the stores around me (gamerush stores that would actually sell them) have stock, new or preowned.

Manager at my frequented store says next month they'll start their trade in your old game systems for credit at BBV (probably in anticipation for the newer PS2 so I'm hoping they'll have some stock then.

Dabaomb
11-02-04, 01:35 AM
Sad to see that this was the last day. The regular store that I trade at (E. Houston Street in NYC) ended this a day early for some reason. They also ended the Labor Day buy 3 Pre-Viewed DVDs for $25 a day early. I had to open a new trading account at another store.

Overall, I traded in over 125 DVDs (some of these DVDs I already didn't consider part of my collection cuz I had upgraded already....e.g.l The Great Escape old edition). I got my collection down from 850 to about 750 DVDs so I'm happy. I only wish that I had more time to go through my collection to get rid of stuff.

So I have over $1000 in credit :D

cross
11-02-04, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Dabaomb
Sad to see that this was the last day. The regular store that I trade at (E. Houston Street in NYC) ended this a day early for some reason. They also ended the Labor Day buy 3 Pre-Viewed DVDs for $25 a day early. I had to open a new trading account at another store.

Overall, I traded in over 125 DVDs (some of these DVDs I already didn't consider part of my collection cuz I had upgraded already....e.g.l The Great Escape old edition). I got my collection down from 850 to about 750 DVDs so I'm happy. I only wish that I had more time to go through my collection to get rid of stuff.

So I have over $1000 in credit :D

You mean 850 to about 724 DVDs.

Dabaomb
11-02-04, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by cross
You mean 850 to about 724 DVDs.

no I don't.

I have some DVDs that I don't count as part of my collection cuz I've already upgraded them (e.g. Great Escape, Panic Room, etc.) I also bought some DVDs for like $4 at J&R Music World, etc. I also did some arbitrage trading (e.g. buy a used DVD for $4.99 at BBV, then trade it back in another day or at another store for $8 in credit).

budster7
11-02-04, 04:06 PM
Is there anyway to check the balance on a value card over the phone or web? The back of the value card only says to go into a store to check its balance.

conscience
11-02-04, 05:13 PM
Is there anyway to check the balance on a value card over the phone or web? The back of the value card only says to go into a store to check its balance.

The only way you yourself, without leaving your home to find out the balance on a gift card, is if it has a phone number on the back and value cards do not.

jaeufraser
11-02-04, 07:03 PM
Wow what a great deal. I traded in about 15 DVDs, each of them probably not worth $8. I thought it really funny, since one movie I traded in for $8 they had selling for $6. I also got rid of a few crappy itles, like Reefer Madness and Metropolis and Night of the Living Dead (the DVDs were crappy, not necessarily the movies...they were those 4 dollar gold ones).

Nonetheless, too bad it's over, but got about $120 in credit which is great.

Gizmo
11-03-04, 12:20 AM
WOW! I'm glad everyone got in on this deal. I will continue to post any other decent deals that come through.

Kaiser Soze
11-03-04, 11:17 AM
This deal was sweet. Took in about 10 more discs on the last day and ended up with a total of about $200 in credit.

Got Shawshank 2 disc for $20 and Catch Me If You Can for $10. Still not sure what I'm going to do with the rest. Definitely saving it for LOTR ROTK 4 disc set. Other than that, there really isn't a lot out there that I really need.

When do the new Playstations come out?

This deal was great because I was able to get rid of so much crap. Stuff I'd bought years ago for no reason other than it was super cheap at the time, or a total blind buy. My collection is probably only around 300 or so, but now I'm down to about 260, and the stuff that I have is all stuff that I'll actually watch again.

Any idea when they might do something like this again? I talked to a guy at one of the stores on monday, and he said they are still taking DVD's, just not guaranteed $8 per disc. Seriously sweet deal though.

Big Worms
11-03-04, 11:30 AM
It was a very good deal. I did not have a lot to get rid of, but it was nice to take it somewhere to trade in stuff for something I really want.

When do the new Playstations come out?

They are already out, just tough to find. That is if you are referring to the smaller PS2.

fumanstan
11-03-04, 07:15 PM
Even without the 8 dollar deal, the Blockbuster trade in still isn't too bad for those still wanting to ditch some discs. My friend got 6.50 for SWAT since he upgraded to the Superbit... which is still a bit nicer then what you'd get at EB or Gamestop.

TheNightFlier
11-03-04, 08:37 PM
Another big thanks to Gizmo for posting this...

scroll2b
11-03-04, 08:49 PM
So the trade for $8 is over at all Blockbusters?

toogood
11-03-04, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by scroll2b
So the trade for $8 is over at all Blockbusters?

The sign saying $8 min credit per dvd is still up at my local BBV. Not sure when the deal will be over.

shaka
11-03-04, 10:00 PM
My local BBV said they start the $8 trade-in in Hawaii later this month.

RUN-DvdMC
11-03-04, 10:10 PM
They have a buy $50 in gift cards and get a free $5 gift card promotion going on right now. I transfered $1450 from my value cards and got an additional $145 in free gift cards!!!! This deal just keeps getting better. Thanks BBV!!!!! :)

moocher
11-03-04, 10:40 PM
You can buy gift cards with value cards??

RUN-DvdMC
11-03-04, 10:49 PM
Yes you can. I was surprised when she said that I could. Of course I jumped on it right away when she said it!

Ginwen
11-03-04, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by kitkittykat
Told this ends on November 1st here in King County, Washington. Thanks guys for posting this. I cleaned through my collection, and scored $76. Lame I know, but I'm very happy:) Must not be all King County, because the Bellevue Way (Bellevue WA) store still has the sign up.

Peep
11-04-04, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by moocher
You can buy gift cards with value cards??

But then, if I understand correctly, you lose the ability to convert them to gift cards that can be used on-line. No?

Kaiser Soze
11-04-04, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by RUN-DvdMC
They have a buy $50 in gift cards and get a free $5 gift card promotion going on right now. I transfered $1450 from my value cards and got an additional $145 in free gift cards!!!! This deal just keeps getting better. Thanks BBV!!!!! :)

Hahaha. This is even better. Looks like I'm going back to to Blockbuster to buy some gift cards later today. :)

dvd2001
11-04-04, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know if the $50 gift cards (to get the free $5 gift card) can be used online?
Thanks.

bmello
11-04-04, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by dvd2001
Does anyone know if the $50 gift cards (to get the free $5 gift card) can be used online?
Thanks.

Just pick the generic gift cards with a scratch off pin and tell them to put $50 on it.

TheNightFlier
11-04-04, 01:13 PM
But then, if I understand correctly, you lose the ability to convert them to gift cards that can be used on-line. No?

Not at all. Just look for the cards with the scratch off pin on the back and there shouldn't be any problems.

RUN-DvdMC
11-04-04, 02:17 PM
Yep, this is a great additional deal!

steebo777
11-04-04, 03:26 PM
Dude, I am still kicking myself for not jumping on the original deal.

dvd2001
11-04-04, 06:55 PM
bmello,
Thanks for the additional info about the gift cards.

I have to thank a helpful clerk at Blockbuster today. Last week, I had already converted some of my value cards to $400 in gift cards, and of course regretted not being able to get this new deal.
I went in today, and saw one of the friendly clerks that had taken a lot of my trade-ins. She was able to apply the $400 in gift cards to my in-store account, and then repurchase the gift cards, giving another $40 in free gift cards.
Also, I was able to convert another $200 of value cards to gift cards, for another extra $20.
So, another $60 in credit for a short trip to the store. I made sure to get the gift cards that could be used online.

Also, found very clean copies of Cold Mountain and Capturing the Friedmans in their 2-for-20 previewed deal, so it was a really worthwhile trip. I'll be picking up the new 4-disc Gone With the Wind next week, for $29.99, not too bad a price.

Now, if all my mis-price special orders come through, that would really put the frosting on the cake.

Thanks to all who have contributed to making the most of these deals.

superdeluxe
11-04-04, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Ginwen
Must not be all King County, because the Bellevue Way (Bellevue WA) store still has the sign up.

Any BB's up that way sell consoles? or can order consoles?

I would hate to drive all the way to oregon to redeem my value card.

Ginwen
11-04-04, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by superdeluxe
Any BB's up that way sell consoles? or can order consoles?

I would hate to drive all the way to oregon to redeem my value card. None I've seen; there's a couple of large ones around but I haven't noticed them selling consoles (all the Hollywood videos around do, but BB isn't trying to compete I guess).

superdeluxe
11-05-04, 12:13 AM
damnit..we need to get a gamerush up here.

Big Worms
11-05-04, 12:18 AM
36 pages so it might have been answered already, but has BBV ever run this type of deal before? Again sorry if has already been asked.

superdeluxe
11-05-04, 12:40 AM
Not that I remember.

fumanstan
11-05-04, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Big Worms
36 pages so it might have been answered already, but has BBV ever run this type of deal before? Again sorry if has already been asked.

No. In fact, they only recently started the trade in DVDs for credit thing shortly before they had the 8 dollar promotion. It appears that the 5 dollar trade in credit may be permanent though, much like the 2 for 20 on PVD's, at least for the time being.

Big Worms
11-05-04, 12:58 AM
Oh really I thought they always had the 5 dollar deal (it has been a long time since I went into bbv). I have just a few dvds to trade about 8. So maybe I will just take the $5 since maybe they will never run it at 8 again. Thanks for the replies back.

fumanstan
11-05-04, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Big Worms
Oh really I thought they always had the 5 dollar deal (it has been a long time since I went into bbv). I have just a few dvds to trade about 8. So maybe I will just take the $5 since maybe they will never run it at 8 again. Thanks for the replies back.

As far as i know its only been fairly recent, at least as a nationwide promotion. Keep in mind that the $5 is just a minimum, and you may get more then that depending on the discs. My friend got 6.50 for SWAT the other day.

Richard Stern
11-05-04, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by fumanstan
No. In fact, they only recently started the trade in DVDs for credit thing shortly before they had the 8 dollar promotion. It appears that the 5 dollar trade in credit may be permanent though, much like the 2 for 20 on PVD's, at least for the time being.

BBV trade policy is different throughout the country.

I live in Colorado Springs, and our local BBVs starting taking trade-ins at the start of 2003. So it's hardly new, at least here. And there are some parts of the country where they still do not take trade-ins at all.

Also, when our local BBVs first starting taking trade-ins (Jan 2003), they ran a promotion where they gave double the normal trade-in amount. I got $10-12 credit for a bunch of discs during that special. So I wouldn't be surprised if the $8 deal returns at some point, maybe as a once or twice a year promotional special.

rkndkn
11-05-04, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by shaka
My local BBV said they start the $8 trade-in in Hawaii later this month.

Great news, Shaka! We usually seem to get left out of things!

Was that the Ala Moana location?

fumanstan
11-05-04, 03:11 PM
Traded in Chicago today which still netted me 9 dollars, just like it would have been before the 8 dollar promotion ended.

Snowmaker
11-14-04, 09:39 PM
So, is this all over with now? What's the standard trade-in amount given now?

Erillian
11-14-04, 09:54 PM
So, is this all over with now? What's the standard trade-in amount given now?

Yes...and...5 dollars.

Geist
11-14-04, 11:35 PM
There was an article about this sale in the Hollywood Reporter, about how Blockbuster is looking at "pre-viewed" sales as a new source of income, even though they lost a few dollars on certain titles in this promotion. A lot of the buybacks will be used to stock specific stores which I guess will feature used disks more heavily. I got the feeling this won't be the last time they do this though.

The interesting thing was that they mentioned that during the $8 minimum buyback on DVDs, there was a concurrent promotion where if you sold back (I believe) 3 video game titles at once, you received an additional $5. I don't remember seeing anything like that posted in my local Blockbuster though. Was anyone aware of this? I know the minimum they give you back on used games is much lower -- $1.50 IIRC -- but there were still things I could have gotten rid of.

Gizmo
11-14-04, 11:39 PM
The $5 was only at stores that had Game Rush's inside of them.

Legolas
11-15-04, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Geist
The interesting thing was that they mentioned that during the $8 minimum buyback on DVDs, there was a concurrent promotion where if you sold back (I believe) 3 video game titles at once, you received an additional $5. I don't remember seeing anything like that posted in my local Blockbuster though. Was anyone aware of this? I know the minimum they give you back on used games is much lower -- $1.50 IIRC -- but there were still things I could have gotten rid of.

I was aware of this through this website. My Blockbusters had the sale, but unlike the DVDs, I didn't see it promoted with big banners and whatnot. I did see a flyer for the DVD trade-in deal, and on the other side was the video game deal. Other than that, nada.

msdmoney
11-15-04, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Geist

The video game promotion of $5 extra per game if you trade in 3 or more games (PS2/XBOX/GCN) was a gamerush promotion that recently ended. Gamerush is Blockbuster's new in-store "new and used" game store. It is only in some Blockbuster stores, although I believe they intend to expand it to more and more Blockbuster stores over time. They have had some really great promotions regarding trading in games, as they try to build up a stock of used games. They also generally give higher trade-in-values than the competition, ie. gamestop and eb. I think an even better promotion from gamerush was "trade-in two games get a pre-order game for $30." This is in addition to the trade-in values of the two games, often making the game free with two trade-ins, or giving you credit on top of getting the pre-order. This promo recently ended as well.

If you want more info you should check out the cheapassgamer.com forums for info on the latest gamerush promos for trading in games.

scottall
11-15-04, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by msdmoney
The video game promotion of $5 extra per game if you trade in 3 or more games (PS2/XBOX/GCN) was a gamerush promotion that recently ended.
The rest of your post is correct, but not this part. I traded in all my PS2 games at non-GameRush stores and got this deal. It was great to get rid of all my 2001 sports games for about $7 each. Sucks that it is over for those who didn't get in on it.

iamOrokoSaki
11-15-04, 11:12 AM
If any of you are into games I suggest you call up your local BBV and ask about the "trade a game and get a brand new game for 29.99" deal going on right now -- 1 PS1+ game and up will get you any game in the store for $29.99 brand new plus the trade credit off of that. It's nice to pick up the Mortal Kombat Deception's Limited Edition for 29.99 instead of 59.99 + $15 for the game I traded in :)

rkndkn
11-15-04, 11:31 AM
Well, the trade-in has finally started at the Ala Moana branch (Kapiolani branch is not doing it yet). They didn't do the $8.00 promo and are giving the $5.00 minimum. I took in about 24 so far, and only 3 or 4 of them got more than $5.00. Still, I'm happy to clear some room for new things. :)

chard31
11-19-04, 05:37 PM
I gotta tell this story somewhere...

So I am at my local .99 cent store and they have out a stack of Miranda DVDs (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008Z463/ref=ase_bridgebooks/104-6841369-7344701?v=glance&s=dvd) so I buy two and see if BBV will buy it back for $5...

I go to BBV and they buy it for $7.50...

Hmmm...

I go back to the .99 cent store and buy 10 more...

Goto another BBV and trade in 2 of the same title and nobody says anything...

Woohoo...

Guess what I will be doing tomorrow...

Kaiser Soze
11-19-04, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chard31
[B]I gotta tell this story somewhere...

So I am at my local .99 cent store and they have out a stack of Miranda DVDs (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008Z463/ref=ase_bridgebooks/104-6841369-7344701?v=glance&s=dvd) so I buy two and see if BBV will buy it back for $5...

I go to BBV and they buy it for $7.50...

Hmmm...

I go back to the .99 cent store and buy 10 more...

Goto another BBV and trade in 2 of the same title and nobody says anything...

Woohoo...

Awesome. There is a .99 store right next to my house. Guess I'll be going there soon. Thanks for the tip. :)

Guess what I will be doing tomorrow...

sideshow23bob
12-22-04, 10:27 PM
Hey is this buying back of dvds still going at your blockbusters? last time i went in 3 weeks ago, they said that it had stopped. Cookeville, TN here; let me know where you are and if it's still going, thanks.

steebo777
12-22-04, 10:49 PM
Yes, I thought all BBVs bought back DVDs. It just fluctuats on how much you get for the DVDs.

Dabaomb
12-23-04, 02:37 AM
Hey is this buying back of dvds still going at your blockbusters? last time i went in 3 weeks ago, they said that it had stopped. Cookeville, TN here; let me know where you are and if it's still going, thanks.

all the ones in NYC still take DVDs for credit...the minimum is now $5.