Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only Star Wars DVDs alterations thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before anyone posts here, PLEASE don't threadcrap. If you have negative views take them somewhere else. There will also be spoilers for those 2 of you left who haven't seen the OT.

One of the first things I noticed was that they fixed Darth Vader's missing lightsaber beam at the end of his battle with Obi-Wan. I don't know if they fixed Obi-wan's beam, it still looks kinda wrong.

I'm at the end of ANH and they didn't fix R2's "blackout" parts from the bluescreen.
Old 09-21-04, 01:31 PM
Banned

I don't get why anything would be left un-fixed. There are a million websites that list all the mistakes down to the smallest details. Why didn't Lucasfilm take a definitive list of the mistakes and just use it as a "to do" list for this project?
Old 09-21-04, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I guess some of the changes just weren't that high of prioity.

Well, since we're mentioning mistakes left in - some parts of the cockpits of the... rebel aircraft (sorry, I don't know the names of them) are still semi-transparent from when they matted the backgrounds into the shot. I found it amusing that they either missed or ignored such a mistake.

Also still in there are some lighter boxes around tie-fighters just before Luke begins his run into the Death Star canyon.
Old 09-21-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was it just me or did they add in a new sound effect in the scene where the Stormtrooper bumps his head on the door?
Old 09-21-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DGibFen
Was it just me or did they add in a new sound effect in the scene where the Stormtrooper bumps his head on the door?
Nope that wasn't just you...there is a thread around here that lists all the new sound alterations. The Krayt dragon scream Obi Wan uses to scare off the Sandpeople has been changed as well.
Old 09-21-04, 03:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

well the box is crap. sorta cheap looking and flimsy. and the cover art looks like it was done by a 16 year old with photoshop
Old 09-21-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else notice that for just one scene in ANH, while luke is training with the droid, that his lightsaber is green?
Old 09-21-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, on my DVD it looked yellow the whole time but at one time I saw a hint of blue.
Old 09-21-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, it looked green at the first shot then yellowish/whitish thru out the rest. Of course, im only watching it on my laptop at work now. Ill check at home tonight.
Old 09-21-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
ANH - What I was hoping they'd fix, but didn't.

crewman's leg is still sticking out on the blockade runner.

rope is still pulling droid in front of luke, c-3po

actors eyes still visible in several shots of R2 and Darth Vader

R2 STILL doesn't look blue during the battle of yavin. (probably just the lighting, but it could've been color-graded at least)

Was also hoping they'd color-grade Vader's eyes but they didn't. (they appear brownish/red in many shots)

Also I noticed when Wedge pulls out of the trench, there is a bad matting effect to the right of his helmet. The main window looks fine, I wonder if they just missed that spot?

All well...maybe next time.
Old 09-21-04, 05:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
This I KNOW is covered extensively in 2 threads right below this...audio and picture quality threads. Plus a couple in Movie Talk. Good try, though! Wakka Wakka

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-21-04 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by whynotsmile
well the box is crap. sorta cheap looking and flimsy. and the cover art looks like it was done by a 16 year old with photoshop
What does this have to do with alterations?
Old 09-21-04, 05:48 PM
Banned

I want my money back

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 09-21-04 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 07:41 PM

Only thing that bugged the hell out of me ...
Is the ANH ...after Han talks to Jabba...as Jabba is walking away Han makes a comment an calls Jabba "human"...
Old 09-21-04, 08:16 PM
Banned

that has been around since the 1997 SE release on VHS
Old 09-21-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, so has the stepping on Jabba's tail part.
Neither are "DVD alterations."
Old 09-21-04, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Was also hoping they'd color-grade Vader's eyes but they didn't. (they appear brownish/red in many shots)
Um, Vader's mask's eyes ARE red. They're supposed to be. It's just that the image is so much clearer and the colour more contrasty (i.e. properly bright for the first time on home video) that you can notice it more.

If this were IMDB, that would be listed as "Incorrectly regarded as goof."
Old 09-21-04, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Toad
Yep, so has the stepping on Jabba's tail part.
Neither are "DVD alterations."
Technically it could be called an "alteration" because they fixed the jerkyness of Han rising up over his tail and the way Jabba looks. He looks a lot more creepy then before.
Old 09-21-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jough
Vader's mask's eyes ARE red.
Yes, I realize the lenses they used were red (for ANH, I'm not sure about the sequels), and if that is the way he's supposed to look than my mistake. I was under the impression his lenses were supposed to be black, to match the rest of his outfit.

You could understand the confusion, I mean, in every illustration i've seen Vader's lenses are black. If they were supposed to be red, they haven't done a good job of showing it.
Old 09-21-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Halfway through ANH, George Lucas appeared and flipped me the bird!
Old 09-21-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

was it me or did the sands of tatooine look like it was shifting tones?? this was the scene where R2 and 3PO were parting ways in ANH, and then the following scene when 3PO comes across that large skeleton in the desert. the sand shifts color from extreme yellow/orange, to tinges of green, and then to various shades of dull yellow (the way it was originally). i had my brother eyeball this also, and we both agreed it looked inconsistent and BAD!!!!
Old 09-21-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darmok
was it me or did the sands of tatooine look like it was shifting tones??
Was it from the shifting sunlight and clowdcover? In the first shot, you can easily see the shadows crossing over the sands...

That stuff doesn't bother me, looks natural enough to my eyes - which aren't very good.
Old 09-21-04, 09:54 PM

Thought I would HATE the new Emperor/Vader scene in ESB but it was creepy and I loved it. Also really showed that Vader was hiding things from the Emerpor.
Old 09-21-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else notice that Vader's voice doesn't sound as menacing as it did before? It sounds almost too clear, and not robotic or tinny enough. An example would be the beginning of ANH where after he talks with Leia he says "Take her away!". On the new DVDs it doesn't sound as intimidating as it did before, even though now I am listening to it on a good 5.1 system.
Old 09-21-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In ROTJ did anyone else notice the black blob on the right of the Emperor's hood during the close ups just before the light saber duel. whats up with that?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.