Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Short essay on piracy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short essay on piracy.

The other day, I went to buy Gungrave OD. At $15, I couldn't resist. It's definitely a medicore game, and wouldn't ever be worth full price. Today I went to Best Buy and got Prince of Persia for Xbox for only $15 ($20 - $5 off coupon). They're both the same price, yet there's a vast difference in quality. I realized something suddenly; the price of a game really doesn't change the value of it for me.

I usually NEVER buy a game for full price when it's released. I wait and wait and wait for a good deal to pop up before i'll buy it - my philosophy is that it's the same game whether you buy it now than if you buy it 6 months or a year from now. Paying $30 or more just to play a game sooner doesn't justify the game for me. My average game price falls around $15 (i've used dozens of the BB coupons). Using the BB is worth the trouble for me because for every 3 games that I buy, i've saved enough money which equates to the value of a whole new game.

Which brings me to the title of my topic. For some time now i've been aware of the going-ons of the piracy community - sometimes because i've been involved in it myself, but only to the extent that I want to play a game i'm going to end up buying before the release date. Most pirated games will run you about $5, give or take a few $$$ depending on the quality and if it comes extras, such as a case and instruction manual. So given that games can be aquired for so cheap now, and maintain that same value for which they can be so cheaply and easily purchased, what's the benefit in pirating software? and think of how many more extras you get when you're buying the legit games - it's not just a blank disk with a name written on it in black marker.

Furthermore, pirating spoils you. I don't know the value of the pirated games that I possess - most of them I don't even give the smallest consideration in playing. I didn't have to work to obtain them so I don't really enjoy how great they are. Most I just play for 5 minutes and ignore them. When I was younger, I could never afford more than one game at a time. I played each one to death and mastered them completely, finding every single little secret and attempting to get the highest score I could. Granted, back then games had a little more replay value, but regardless, I appreciated their value much more than I do now.
Old 09-21-04, 01:48 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about. In the good ole days of the psx and the mod chips, "I knew someone" who went piracy crazy. That certain someone ended up with a stack of bootleg games of which only 3 were ever played for more than 5mins. Those 3 games ended up getting bought because getting them complete was far more important than getting them free, especially games that were enjoyed so much.

Now all games are purchased original and playing them is that much more enjoyable. Part of the reason I think bootleg games arent as fun is because youre not as careful with the selection, just get whatever one. When youre spendin money on a game, you read reviews and do what you can to try and make sure youre going to like it.

I do miss the days of only having a couple games, though I think nowadays it would be impossible to stick to one game for that long, cause most games just arent THAT good.
Old 09-21-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Ooo.... this thread is begging to be locked. I realize you're not exactly endorsing piracy, but still...

There are obviously many, many reasons that piracy is bad above and beyond what you state above, mostly to the copyright holders and creators, who don't get their fair share. Although I've never pirated games before, I think just the fact that they can shave a few bucks off the top AND get the game on or before release would still motivate people to pirate games, even if they do go down in price later. They don't care about legitimacy, and as you mention above, if they're just going to play it for five minutes anyway, who needs the case and manual?

In general, the Greatest Hits prices and even Value Pricing like the new ESPN games are great for the consumer, but can be damaging to the industry in the long run. Although this board is full of people looking for the cheapest deals, the industry needs the impulse buyers and non-gamer parents to pay full price in order to support it. Although the media is cheaper to produce than cartridges, the development costs of games today are staggeringly high, and if a game doesn't sell well in the first month of release, they're in trouble. It's great that I can get a game like Black and White for less than 20 bucks now, but that really means that the game pretty much failed in the market. Unfortunately, games that spend more money on licensing than gameplay are doing better than games that have great gameplay but were not marketed as well...

Also, everything loses value. If we really didn't care about when we got the games, we could just wait for the next generation of consoles to be put out and then get the last generation for dirt cheap. The games would be exactly the same, you'd just be a few years behind. Most games that go to Greatest Hits (and aren't discounted just because they're not selling) usually do so when they've either made a certain amount of money or a bigger and better sequel is coming. At which point most people would rather pick up the new game for more than the budget game.
Old 09-21-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

um, it's not ok to pirate b/c you're going to get the real version later.
Old 09-21-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Garh! Aren't ye all sick of pirates by now? Avast! Ye salty dogs!
Old 09-21-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Short essay on piracy.

Originally posted by Superboy

Furthermore, pirating spoils you. I don't know the value of the pirated games that I possess - most of them I don't even give the smallest consideration in playing. I didn't have to work to obtain them so I don't really enjoy how great they are. Most I just play for 5 minutes and ignore them.
Exactly, I know a couple of guys that d/l everything. When I ask them if they played through Riddick or Prince of Persia (truley magnificent games), I get an "eh, I played a couple of levels. It was alright." I mean these two games are brilliant. But the next big game was available to d/l so those got no play. A shame.

I'm not a fan of $50 games either, but I mix them up with the $15 games. I payed $40 for Riddick, $15 for Persia. I paid $50 for Battlefront and $45 for Burnout 3. Is it all out of pocket? No, I traded in some old cd/dvds at a local shop for cash and would up covering the cost of Burnout. I decided to wait on Pikmin and Metroid for a used deal at BBV or somewhere, or on the Christmas list. I can't afford them all at retail price.
Old 09-22-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never pirated any games mostly because I don't think it's worth the hassle when most games can be had for under $20 with some patience.

But with that said, I do agree that pirating spoils you (ruins you is more appropriate). The "game" moves from playing and getting to know the nuances of a title, to simply getting the next title. The fun or excitement is transferred from actually playing the games, to simply acquiring them.
Old 09-23-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think most people didn't understand what I was trying to say.

Pirating may be "morally wrong" to many, but the fact that I can and do buy so many games for so cheap spoils me just as bad as if I actually were pirating.
Old 09-23-04, 01:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I BUY all good games which i will play in depth

I may Sample other games
Old 09-23-04, 01:27 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
and yes it is important for me to get my hands on a game ASAP, can't wait, i dun mind paying full price

E.g. i am paying full price for Def jam 2 and X men legends
Old 09-24-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by fujishig
Ooo.... this thread is begging to be locked. I realize you're not exactly endorsing piracy, but still...

There are obviously many, many reasons that piracy is bad above and beyond what you state above, mostly to the copyright holders and creators, who don't get their fair share. Although I've never pirated games before, I think just the fact that they can shave a few bucks off the top AND get the game on or before release would still motivate people to pirate games, even if they do go down in price later. They don't care about legitimacy, and as you mention above, if they're just going to play it for five minutes anyway, who needs the case and manual?

In general, the Greatest Hits prices and even Value Pricing like the new ESPN games are great for the consumer, but can be damaging to the industry in the long run. Although this board is full of people looking for the cheapest deals, the industry needs the impulse buyers and non-gamer parents to pay full price in order to support it. Although the media is cheaper to produce than cartridges, the development costs of games today are staggeringly high, and if a game doesn't sell well in the first month of release, they're in trouble. It's great that I can get a game like Black and White for less than 20 bucks now, but that really means that the game pretty much failed in the market. Unfortunately, games that spend more money on licensing than gameplay are doing better than games that have great gameplay but were not marketed as well...

Also, everything loses value. If we really didn't care about when we got the games, we could just wait for the next generation of consoles to be put out and then get the last generation for dirt cheap. The games would be exactly the same, you'd just be a few years behind. Most games that go to Greatest Hits (and aren't discounted just because they're not selling) usually do so when they've either made a certain amount of money or a bigger and better sequel is coming. At which point most people would rather pick up the new game for more than the budget game.
A game costing 20 bucks certainly does not mean that it failed in the market. Ever heard of Grand Theft Auto? The greatest hits games are called that because they were hits. Some games hit rock-bottom prices because they didn't sell, but that is not really a bad thing. It's better to recoup some of your losses than none of them.
Old 09-24-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Nothing to add here concerning piracy, but as far as time and value go... while waiting another 6-12 months for a game to drop in price is fine for something that you've simply read a few good reviews on and have a slight interest in, its a far different matter for a game that you've constantly read previews and viewed screenshots for. Especially for those "big" release games or if you're currently in a slow period of gaming where nothing else interests you. If you loved Halo and have no interest in say, Fable, to keep you occupied throughout October, you're probably damn well anticipating Halo 2.
Old 09-24-04, 06:25 PM
Banned

yeah im not for video game piracy but modding video game systems is a good hobby it also can bring in alot of money if you buy used systems mod them then sell them.