Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gans to direct Silent Hill

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

according to aintitcool.com

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18425

and roger avary's journal

http://www.avary.com/rogeravary/journal/journal.php

This movie has potential to be great, especially after seeing gans', in my opinion, matured cinematic style on Brotherhood of the Wolf. I don't know if Dacascos should play the main part though, I have not always been impressed with his acting abilities. A supporting role, yes, but not the main role.

Also, what do you guys think of avary writing the story? I liked his Rules of Attraction but he wrote only the screenplay, and most of the good stuff must've come from the book (i never read it). I know there is a lot of bias against Avary in general but what about those who aren't too biased against him and not necessarily for him.

Last edited by joeydaninja; 09-20-04 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Silent Hill is the best horror game series going. It will be interesting to see if the people associated with the movie can translate the eerie and bizarre atmosphere of the games to film. I really have my doubts, given how Hollywood has pretty much screwed up every other video game-to-movie adaptation.

But if they somehow can pull it off, I will be mighty impressed. Playing SH is a creepier experience than watching any horror movie that I have ever seen (and I've seen them all).
Old 09-20-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That...could be pretty cool. Granted, it'd be the first video game movie to have a writer and director who at least have some talent. So hopefully it's good.
Old 09-20-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Better than Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson.

And for that fact, I welcome this project with open arms.
Old 09-20-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't heard that much about this project, but I love the series (In the middle of SH4 right now) so I can't wait to see how it evolves into a film. Is it based on one of games in particular or just on the premise of the town/cult?
Old 09-20-04, 10:03 PM

I'm glad to see that this movie is headed towards filming instead of being stuck in development hell like other game to movie adaptations. Team Silent said that they would be heavily involved in the production of the movie, from monster design and story concepts to music (Akira Yamaoka is supposedly doing the soundtrack himself). I really hope they don't screw this up. The source material could lead to a quality film unlike other videogames.

On a related note, Heather from SH3 reminds me of this picture of Emma Watson:

Old 09-21-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To be honest Id rather see Avary in the directors chair. I wasnt impressed at all with Brotherhood.
Old 09-21-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To be honest Id rather see Avary in the directors chair. I wasnt impressed at all with Brotherhood.
Has Avary even directed a film that cost more than $5 million?

I'd prefer it if Gans directed and Avary wrote. Then again, I loved Brotherhood.
Old 09-21-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Le Pact de Loupes is one of my favorite movies of the past decade, plus I think Crying Freeman is one of the better comic book adaptations as well, plus I'm a big fan of the games, so this is great news for me.
Old 09-21-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SH is probably one of my top 5 favorite video games (the original). I'm happy to see Avary writing. I'm not sure why there's so much hate for him, but I've loved everything he's done in the past.
Old 09-22-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Don't like the game series (always felt it tried too hard and conveyed too little, but alas - mostly it was just boring). But I'm looking forward to this adaptation, while I think someone like Lynch or Cronenberg could have a good bit of fun playing with the themes, Gans is a solid choice.

Not huge on Brotherhood, but for some reason, the combination of the two just works.
Old 09-22-04, 03:22 PM

I'm playing Silent Hill 3 for the PC right now since it was only $9.99 at BB...never play the first and the second. As far as I can tell the game does have great atmosphere, although the story is lacking and doesn't make much sense. I just hope the Silent Hill film does retain that eerie atmosphere and not go out like RE and RE2. I want a scary zombie film or something the likes rather than straight up action.

Unlike some people here, I did like BOTW...although I thought the martial arts was a bit awkward in such a setting...just doesn't seem like it should be in there.
Old 05-09-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
IMDB has a cast listing up for this: http://imdb.com/title/tt0384537/

Sean Bean, Deborah Kara Unger, and Radha Mitchell are listed in it. That indeed sounds promising. I hope this goes well.
Old 05-09-05, 05:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No Paul W.S. Anderson = no sale!!!

Just kidding. This could be good. I actually love the atmosphere in the Silent Hill series, but dislike the actual gameplay.
Old 05-09-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never played any of the games although my friends swear by the first one. I'm going to have to rent it some day.
Old 05-10-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the original game, playing it in the dark with the stereo cranked made for some big jumps. I distinctly remember yanking my controller out of the ps2 when one of those damn birds came out of nowhere.

Interesting casting, especially for Dhalia. I seem to remember her being an old grandma type.
Old 05-10-05, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Err, wait. Looking at that IMDB, the main character is Rose Mason. Huh? A mother searches for her daughter and ends up in the town of Silent Hill. Huh??? I don't mean to sound like the Comic Book Guy, but I have to wonder what the point is.

Hopefully it doesn't mean much, but it just seems strange they'd change something as basic as the fact that it isn't Harry going in search of his daughter. In the game, the wife had died years earlier. Hopefully it'll still make a good movie, but I really love the mythology that the games has created. That decision makes me wonder if the movie will be only based on the game, and not utilizing the story and creepy elements that the first Silent Hill did so well.

The fact that Harry Mason is also listed in the cast worries me... That we'll get a group, action based movie. Silent Hill kicked so much ass because it was you alone in this crazy city. The fact Harry was all alone, except for a few other people he ran into occasionally that had their own strangeness going on, made it much creepier. If the movie is Harry, this Rose Mason and other people battling the evil cult, I'd be disappointed.
Old 05-10-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

According to IMDB, this is the plot:

Rose cannot accept the knowledge that her daughter Sharon is dying of a fatal disease. Over the protests of her husband, she flees with her child, intending to take the girl to a faith healer. On the way, she ends up driving through a portal in reality, which takes her to the eerie and deserted town of Silent Hill. Sharon disappears in Silent Hill, and Rose follows what she thinks is her daughter's silhouette all over town. It's soon clear the town is not like any place she's ever been. It's inhabited by a variety of creatures and a living darkness that descends and literally transforms everything it touches. The human inhabitants - the ones who are left - are trapped and fighting a losing battle against the Darkness. Joined by a cop named Cybil, who has been sent to bring her and Sharon back, Rose searches for her little girl while learning the history of Silent Hill and that Sharon is just a pawn in a larger game. To save her daughter, Rose makes a deal with a demon in the form of a little girl.....
What do you think, coladar? Did they just shuffle the characters or did they simply change the entire plot?
Old 05-10-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, okay. I only asked because I know nothing about the games except that they take place in a creepy town. If this is like In The Mouth Of Madness I'll have to give it a shot.
Old 10-24-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Some photos of the cast/sets for the movie:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0510/game051010a.shtml

Last edited by RichC2; 10-24-05 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-24-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I think this'll be good. I'm a fan of the games and of Le Pacte...
But I wonder if transferring from the real world to the nightmare one will go over well cinematically?
Old 10-24-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I loved Brotherhood of the Wolf...so Gans is okay in my book.
Rhada Mitchell is both beautiful and a good actress.
Sean Bean....even in crappy movies, is pretty cool.
Tanya Allen stole my heart in The Newsroom.....

So...I think I'll be watching this one even though I know absolutely nothing about the game.
Old 10-24-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Brotherhood of the wolf was a pretty good movie, and a great looking movie.
looking forward to this one
Old 10-25-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
But I wonder if transferring from the real world to the nightmare one will go over well cinematically?
That's one thing I was wondering about as well. It could lead to a lot of fade outs/ins.

I'll see this, though. The theater choices were kind of cool.
Old 10-25-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking forward to this. I give Gans benefit of the doubt solely because of Brotherhood.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.