Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Austin City Limits. Info Request/Thoughts

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say, I was realy impressed with the ACL. This was my first one to attend, and I definitely look forward to attending next year's, especially with The Flaming Lips and the Shins on the lineup. I was wondering if there were going to be any Cds/DVDs of the performances available? Also, are there any websites sharing recordings since personal recorders were allowed in?

anyone catch the Broken Social Scene performance? Their show was killer. Any other favorites?
Old 09-20-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just read this week (maybe at Billboard.com) that Austin City Limits will soon begin releasing episodes of the TV show with bonus tracks on DVD.
Old 09-21-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Broken Social Scene and Soundtrack of Our Lives were probably my two favorite performances. Surprisingly, they were neither near the top of my who-i-have-to-see list, but i guess that's how it works sometimes. it was my first time at the festival too and i was pretty impressed. Some other acts I really enjoyed were Gomez, Wilco, Modest Mouse, Ryan Adams, Ben Kweller and Old 97s. Something that I did find disappointing was the amount of technical difficulties and sound quality for some shows. I was really looking forward to both The Killers & Elvis Costello and thought the quality of sound for both of those shows was extremely lacking. Same with Cake. If you were near the back of the crowd, the music sounded like shit. Overall it was a great experience though and if they keep the same caliber of acts, I'll probably be making it into an annual visit to austin.

ColdBlue, out of curiousity, where did you hear the Flaming Lips and Shins are going to be there next year? I'd love to see a list of who's signed on if they've already started booking acts for 2005.
Old 09-21-04, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
max,

I saw a partial list at the "ACL Experience" tent. It was a lot of the same names (Wilco, Ryan Adams, etc.) which isn't a bad thing. Those were the additions I noticed. Oh yeah, Lyle Lovett will be there too.

I really didn't notice the sound quality issue with The Killers. We were pretty close and really excited to see them. I was in the same boat with Broken Social Scene, they were a blip on my radar but they kicked so much ass. With all of the guest guitarists and the lead singer from Metric, they sounded really good.

Also, Austin was a great town. Really wouldn't take much for me to move down there.