Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The lack of SUBTITLES on bonus materials. Will hollywood ever notice...or care?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-04, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought Clerks 3 disc set. As amazing as this set may be, why couldn't they add CC or subtitles to any of the extras. I have a member of the family who is hard of hearing and Clerks was one of his favorite movies. Just seeing his face as he flips through all the extra material makes my heart drop.

I made a similer thread on concerns for subtitles and lack of them on extras such as documentaries a couple years ago. Personally i have seen some but really not much progress in that area. It kills me. I guess when it comes to documentaries or music rights ...etc I guess subtitles is most expensive proposition. What else can i say. 3 discs....hours upon hours of extra futures that they must of sweated and researched for a long time, but no subtitles.

Makes me sad. Really sad.
Old 09-20-04, 08:35 AM

I agree. Sometimes you see closed captioning on extras, but that's very rare. This sort of thing seems much more common in R2. And sometimes they even go to the trouble of taking off subtitles in releases that are otherwise identical to their R2 predecessor, such as commentary subtitles on Doctor Who DVDs.
Old 09-20-04, 09:23 AM
Banned

I normally don't care about subtitles, since I have no problems hearing...well my folks would disagree, but that's not the issue , but I did notice that the extras on the Star Trek Voyager sets had subtitles. In one of the easter eggs on Season 2 had Tim Russ's (Lt. Tuvok) video of his song, "Kushangaza" and I turned the subtitles on to see if they displayed the lyrics and they did.
Old 09-20-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I lived in Mexico, almost all extras on discs were subtitled in various languages (even english), including the commentaries.
Old 09-20-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
It always bothered me as well. Ususally i don't use subtitles, but every once inawhile they come in handy.
Old 09-20-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Warner is especially annoying. Warner R1 2 disc SE's (like Amadeus or The Right Stuff) only contain 'normal' English subs, while the very same R2 editions contain both normal and hard of hearing subs, as well as subs on the extra features (not the commentaries though). You would think that it would be more efficient to include these subtitle streams on all releases (after all, you've paid for them), but I guess it's just not part of R1 policy.

One thing I don't understand is the fact that theatrical trailers are never subtitled, even when all other features are. Deaf people don't deserve theatrical trailers?