Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HTIB question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTIB question

I know, Home Theaters in a Box are not highly regarded. I don't use one and would probably not buy one for myself.

That said, here is the scenario: A friends wife just bought a a large screen LCD TV for their home. I suggested they set up a home theater similar to my component set but they feel its too much for them. (not the money, just the complication) So, they are interested in a smaller, "in a box" type setup.

Anyone recommend a 5.1 w/dvd unit? Or ones to stay away from? I know little about those boxed sets and want to get them as best quality as possible.

I did notice Sears demonstrating the new Denon that only uses two speakers and a sub suposedly giving a full range of sound. Cost was $700. Knowing Denon does have quality products, what do you think of that system?

Either way, perhaps set a $700 price limit. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been extremely impressed with my Onkyo HTIB. I was expecting a subpar surround system because of the "low" price but in all honestly it has exceeded all my expectations.

Several friends that have heard it can't believe the quality sound for the price.

You should be able to pick one up at Circuit City for $500ish or maybe less. They also have a version that includes a DVD Player.

As far as it being complicated.....if my wife can operate it....anybody can. Installation is fairly simple if you read the directions and use a little common sense.

Good luck
Old 09-17-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you are going to go HTiB, stay away from Kenwood, Aiwa, off brands, etc. Onkyo is pretty decent as they go. I'm not a huge fan of the sonys, but other people like them.

Btw...dont' get caught up in the wattage war...most of the ratings are bogus. Go on sound.

-pedagogue
Old 09-17-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the advise. Took her to Circuit City and directed her to the Onkyo 770. $499 plus tax. Looks like a nice 6.1 set. She bought it and I'll try to set it up for her when her tv arrived Wednesday.
Old 09-18-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by kayak99
Thanks for the advise. Took her to Circuit City and directed her to the Onkyo 770. $499 plus tax. Looks like a nice 6.1 set. She bought it and I'll try to set it up for her when her tv arrived Wednesday.
Setup won't be easier. The wires are color coded!! You made a good choice.

Incidentally, while I have no experience with the specific model you mention, Denon is one of the top manufacturers.
Old 09-18-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kayak99
The 770 is the one I've had my eye on. Hopefully I can pick it up before I go back to college next weekend.
Old 09-18-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Took the covers off the speakers in the store. They appeared to be of quality. Fronts had three speakers in each.

Listened to it as well and while the store setup would not be the best place to audition, the sound was very good.

1000 watts was also a small consideration. Far more than needed and most of the others of the same price range were 750 or less.

Circuit City will take it back within 30 days if its not liked and that part helped.

Hopefully Wednesday we will have it set up and I'll give it a real try.