Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Popular movies you didn't like, and why

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-16-04, 03:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's name popular movies that everybody liked except you, but put what it was about the movie that made you not like it.

For me, It's Spider-man. Tobey Macguire makes a horrible Spider-man, he's like the creepy older brother of your friend who stays in his room all the time on the computer. The special effects were really good but that was it. The script was really basic and dull, dialogue wise, as usually is with huge movies so they can cater to many people. It didn't seem like a respectful adaption of the comic strip.

Anyone agree? And tell me yours.
Old 09-16-04, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well "PUNCH DRUNK LOVE" was one that while it may not have been mainstream popular, it was popular though the forum and I hated it beyond words could imagine. It was two hours of pure torture for me. I wanted to rip my eyes out but then I will still suffer from the god awful noise it was producing.

one comment about your post though
he's like the creepy older brother of your friend who stays in his room all the time on the computer.
that describes most of the dvdtalk users.
Old 09-16-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
wow. this thread is going to be a bashing thread real quick, I'm thinking.

titanic Hokey, seen it a million times plot. Bad acting, cheesy script.

ID4 Cheesy script, what there was of it. Too over the top and in your face, trying to be funny while defending the planet. Ooh, let's put a virus in the alien computer.

MIB Same as above. Trying to hard to be funny and not succeeding. The only gag I laughed at was when Will Smith was taking the written test.

Gladiator Been there and done that. Russell Crowe turns in his 467th turn as a brooding character. Low rent version of Braveheart.
Old 09-16-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Mystic River - it was a piece of shit.
X-Men - boring
X-Men 2 - terrible ending and dumb plot devices, not as horrible as first.
Daredevil - dumb
Independence Day - It was just bad.
Titanic - Cuz everyone else loved it
Dances with Wolves - I liked it kinda the first time, but after that I hated it.
American Beauty - don't see what the big whoop was with it.
Batman - boring
Batman Returns - jim carry and the other villain sucked.
Batman 3 and 4 - laughably terrible
Big Lebowski - wasn't funny and neither was Fargo. I'm a big Coen brothers fan though.
Ghost World - piece of shit - I don't care what a 17 year old girl thinks for a reason.
Old 09-16-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
The Ring-didn't find it scary at all
Deep Impact-lots of people liked it, I hated it
Old 09-16-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Donnie Darko - Bad, sloppy mess of a movie. Disgustingly pathetic that it needed a web site to piece together the "plot."
Old 09-16-04, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty much anything by Tarantino - He made be a decent director (although I don't think he's had an original idea yet) but the stories usually hold very little interest for me.

Ghost World - for the reason Trigger mentions, although I didn't think it was all that popular to being w/ though.

Fight Club - I'm still trying to warm up too. I think there was too much hype about it the first time I saw it that there was no way it could live up to expectations. I'll give it another year or so then watch it again to see what I think.

Gun Crazy - Got a lot of good reviews (from what I recall) but I thought it was just another revenge/shoot 'em up/action flick.

Legend - Seems to be a "classic" but I ended up FFW through most of it because the effects were dated (although Tim's makeup was great) and mainly the story was written for a different age group. Maybe if I had seen it then it would have some nostalgic effect for me, but I didn't so it doesn't.
Old 09-16-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cold Mountain - Flat out awful. An insult to audiences.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Again, horribly overrated one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Hulk - Yet another film that insults its audience.
Old 09-16-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lost In Translation One of the most boring films I've ever seen. No establishment and/or development of the characters "unique" relationship. Pace was awkward and it seemed as though the film tried too hard to be a "unique" film.
Old 09-16-04, 09:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
All popular movies are made to pander to the unwashed masses, and suck. If it made more than $100 million, it's a piece of shit.
Old 09-16-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Charlie's Angels - my god, what dreck. Bill Murray couldn't even save this piece of crap. This flick proved my point that Cameron Diaz is just lucky she has a career. How she continues to get paid to be in movies is beyond me (I don't even think she's that pretty - all make-up).

Erin Brokovich - boring boring boring. I knew the outcome as I had known of this story before the movie was made so maybe that influenced me.

Pretty Woman, Runaway Bride - blechh, what tripe. Of course, my wife loves them. I'm not totally opposed to romantic comedies (I like Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, Keeping the Faith, etc.) but these are so melodramatic it hurts. Hmm, I'm noticing a Julia Roberts theme.

The Village - very disappointed, enough has been said about this one in it's review thread.

The Waterboy - how in the hell did people find this funny? Hey, let's make fun of the slow kid and make him feel like the lowest kind of scum on the planet. Damn, that's hilarious

Return of the Jedi - after Empire, such a letdown. I'm a huge Star Wars geek but I always wondered how a tribe of Teddy Ruxpins with spears helped defeat the almighty Empire.

Trainspotting - good for showing how much drugs can fuck you and your life up, that's about it.

Jerry McQuire, Any Given Sunday - never clicked with me. I think I don't like it because you get to see how business-like pro sports are. It kinda puts a damper on the fun of the game for me.

Speed - it was all played a little over-the-top for me. The bus jump totally ripped me out of the movie.
Old 09-16-04, 09:34 AM

God I love these threads!

Spiderman: 100% Average

Fight Club: Yes I understood everything and no I didn't love it

Donnie Darko: Clever and different but WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too adored by it's fans.
Old 09-16-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anoter vote for:

Gladiator - I just thought it was average. Nothing special about the acting at all.

Lost in Translation - Watched on DVD with my brother and we were checking the clock hoping it would be over. Lots of scenes with not much going on. I didn't feel the special connection of the main characters.
Old 09-16-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Matrix

My initial reaction was positive. I enjoyed the integration of CGI more than any other feature and just dismissed the silly plot. Then I saw it a second time and the visual panache did not hold up, and every time afterwords my opinion of it keeps lessening. Now I just find it dull in comparison to its sequels which had a tighter, more intriguing visual style. They're just as silly, but much more interesting to look at.
Old 09-16-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well......at the risk of banishment from every Internet film discussion board known to man, here goes.....

Maybe my expectations were too high but 2 recent critically-acclaimed & "popular" films which upon first viewing I thought were highly-disappointing and even perhaps below average:

Kill Bill: Volume 2 - I thought there was just way too much "fat" in this part; I felt many scenes were irrelevant and should have been severely shortened or cut out entirely. An example, would be the scene of Michael Madsen's character at the bar where he works. Also, I didn't find the dialogue in the film to be anything remarkable. I was more bored than anything else by a lot of the conversation especially at the end during David Carradine's scenes. And for some reason - after the supremely entertaining Volume 1 - the conclusion to part 2 felt more anti-climactic than anything else. I would like to see Tarantino's originally envisioned 3-hour cut which would in all likelihood (I guess) eliminate a lot of what I didn't like in Volume 2.

LotR: The Return of the King - I liked the first movie and thought the second was just a little above-average. On first viewing, this film left me bored more than anything else. All the cutting back and forth between storylines - instead of building greater suspense - left me frustrated and had the reverse effect of really taking the wind out of the sails for me. Also I thought that since it was the close of the trilogy this film would carry more emotional weight for me but except for a little bit at the end it left me pretty much cold. Plus the large CGI battles which didn't do a whole lot for me - at least after the initial wonder of it all - in Part 2, felt more stale in "Return of the King". I found them about as thrilling as watching dominos fall for 3 consecutive hours. There was significantly more I didn't care for in the film but it escapes me at this time. Perhaps the extended edition will change my feelings on some of these issues - editing, emotional emptiness, etc.
Old 09-16-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Grease- I saw this when it was re-released and it was somewhat fun. Later viewings found it to be unwatchable to me. It' so incredibly cheesy it's unbelievable. I know musicals come across that way, but this one just seemed to try for it. I still think it is tripe. Yet for some reason, every girl I know feels the need to watch this EVERYTIME it's on TV.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 09-16-04 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-16-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Gladiator - I thought the acting was over-the-top and too theatrical, and the special effects were horrible. The story itself was only average.

The Village - You can read my review, if you want to see my reasons.

The English Patient - Okay, a lot of people hated this one. But I had to include it since it was a Best Picture winner. Slow, boring and tedious.

The Return of the King - I didn't really HATE this, per se, but I was really disappointed by it compared to the first two films. I'd never read the book beforehand, so my problems have more to do with Tolkein's story than Jackson's filming of it, I suppose - since he was apparantly quite loyal to the book.

Hmm...looking at my picks - three Best Picture winners...guess I'm really out of touch with the mainstream.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 09-16-04 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-16-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Keep in mind I don't see many popular blockbusters, so I'm sure there are a lot more I'd completely hate if I had the chance

Gladiator: This movie was completely pointless. It was silly. It had bad acting, was unbelievable and some of the worst special effects I've ever seen in my life.

The Missing: WTF? Who cares.

Titanic: Almost can't count this one because I didn't see it all the way through. Maybe something really great happens and I missed it, but it was over the top acting surrounded in a BS sandwich.

Matrix Series: 1 was OK. 2 and 3 complete crapola. What a waste of time and money. Nothing new, nothing attention grabbing.

Willow: I don't understand why some people absolutely love this movie. It's trite, simple and badly acted. Enough said.

It's kind of funny to see what some people think about some movies. Definitely interesting takes on some of these films.
Old 09-16-04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
The Return of the King - I didn't really HATE this, per se, but I was really disappointed by it compared to the first two films. I'd never read the book beforehand, so my problems have more to do with Tolkein's story than Jackson's filming of it, I suppose - since he was apparantly quite loyal to the book.
i didn't find Return of the King to be very faithful to Tolkien's books. it gets the basic message across but many of the things where done differently or left out
Old 09-16-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
I almost fell asleep in theater during MATRIX. I would've walked out if I wasn't there with someone else.
Old 09-16-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Batman Returns - jim carry and the other villain sucked.
Batman 3 and 4 - laughably terrible
batman returns was penguin & catwoman

batman forever with jim carrey is batman 3
Old 09-16-04, 11:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Daytrip
i didn't find Return of the King to be very faithful to Tolkien's books. it gets the basic message across but many of the things where done differently or left out
oh I agree and I hope with the extended cut some of the flaws will better the film.

However, I am still really irked how Jackson filmed the Eowyn/Witch King encounter - fight, the film version pales in comparison to the beautifully written dialogue exchange between the two in the book.
Old 09-16-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gladiator. If you totalled the amount of arguing done on my part in my freshman dorm that Traffic should have won Best Picture that year, you'd get somewhere around 30 hours I suspect. However, the opening scene of Gladiator is pretty great (but it always pisses me off that the dog doesn't come back late in the story, heh).

The Village. I want my $6 back. Whoever said this should be an Oscar contender in the other thread, boo on you.

Kill Bill vol. 1. I love vol. 2, and after seeing vol. 2, I now really like vol. 1, but I must say, I was very disappointed after seeing vol. 1 in the theater. This has been covered en masse in other threads though. Maybe it would've been better if Madsen had been in it .

Cold Mountain. If it weren't for Portman and Hoffman, I would've walked out. I love Jude Law and think Kidman is pretty good too, but their chemistry was terrible, and they didn't really act too well together. Not to mention the story of the movie was kind of weak, IMHO.
Old 09-16-04, 06:23 PM

Hmmm... my list is very long.

- All of M. Night Shyamalan's movies. Over-rated and pretentious.

- All of Spielberg's post 1995 movies. Schmaltzy and kitschy, with too much sentimentalism, little or no substance, and characters/situations that cannot raise any sympathy.

- Spider-Man (and all the post-1999 movies inspired by comic books). WTF is with comic strips adaptations, anyway? Doesn't Hollywod know how to read *real books* anymore?

- Spike Jonze's movies. Derivative, faux-Jarmusch-ian hype.

- Paul "Magnolia" Anderson's movies (Cerebral, eh? try watching some good Soviet/Russian cinema and then talk to me about how great this guy is. Oh, and terribly unfunny)
Old 09-16-04, 06:46 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Every movie that's been mentioned in this thread, except Kill Bill 2, which I haven't seen, Mystic River (which I loved) and Ghost World (which I liked).

And every STAR WARS movie made, except Empire.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.