Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dvd player with DTS encoder question?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a Dvd player that decodes to play dts. My question is: Can i connect a receiver to the dvd player also at the same time.
Old 09-15-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Dvd player with DTS encoder question?

Originally posted by roger_d
i have a Dvd player that decodes to play dts. My question is: Can i connect a receiver to the dvd player also at the same time.
How else would you connect it?
Old 09-15-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
I assume that you're asking does have a DTS decoder on both your DVD player and your receiver conflict with one another?.?.?

If so, then no, there should be no problems.

You need a DTS decoder on one or the other to play DTS tracks, but having one both creates no conflicts.

Hope the info helps!
Old 09-15-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure your DVD player actually decodes DTS, or does it simply pass the DTS signal to an outborad decoder? The logo would read DTS Digital Out if it does not have a decoder.
Old 09-16-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your receiver decodes DTS you are much better off letting it do the decoding instead of the DVD player since the receivers almost always have better decoders.

Also, if you want the DVD player to decode DTS you MUST have a receiver that has the 6 analog inputs to except the six seperate cables that the decoded signal comes out of the DVD player. Running a single digital Coaxial or Optical cable is much cheaper and easier then running six seperate cables.

Easiest way to verify a DVD player decodes DD or DTS is if it has 6 Analog outputs on the back. Nowadays all DVD players that decode DD will do DTS so just verifing the six Analog outputs should do it.
Old 09-16-04, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Frank S
Nowadays all DVD players that decode DD will do DTS so just verifing the six Analog outputs should do it.
That isn't true at all. There are plenty of DVD players out there with DD decoding that will simply pass a DTS signal without decoding it. I've even seen some that will decode DTS, but only output a 2.0 signal when it does.
Old 09-16-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I reciently bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...nics&n=3025431

and i'm not getting the kind of sound i've been hearing about in the various forums about how great the sound is. I know i set the system up correctly, front speakers and back speakers and yet i'm not getting the kind of sound i know i should be getting. I do see the dvd player saying the dvd is DTS. I do hear sounds from the back speakers but not all the time. it's very very low. Does anyone know what the set up is for the speakers. I did go to the set up screen and i saw where your have to decide something about +5 +10 +25 etc but i don't know how that works.
Oh and i do appreciate all the replys i received. I love this site and all the help it gives.
Old 09-16-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I reciently bought this:

and i'm not getting the kind of sound i've been hearing about in the various forums about how great the sound is. I know i set the system up correctly, front speakers and back speakers and yet i'm not getting the kind of sound i know i should be getting. I do see the dvd player saying the dvd is DTS. I do hear sounds from the back speakers but not all the time. it's very very low. Does anyone know what the set up is for the speakers. I did go to the set up screen and i saw where your have to decide something about +5 +10 +25 etc but i don't know how that works.
Oh and i do appreciate all the replys i received. I love this site and all the help it gives.
Ok this has nothing to do with DTS.

First, the DTS decoder is built in so there should be no connection question.

I recommend you read the manual and follow the setup procedure outlined there. Then with a disc that is DTS encoded, play it and make sure that you select the DTS option from the DVD menu. Pay attention to any settings in the dvd player that deal with auto-decode or bitstream.
Old 09-16-04, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by clappj
You need a DTS decoder on one or the other to play DTS tracks, but having one both creates no conflicts.
If you have a DVD player that decodes the DTS signal would you still need a receiver that decodes also?

I am about to buy a new DVD player, but my receiver dose not have a DTS decoder. If I do get a player that has a decoder would I be able to hear the DTS soundtrack?
Old 09-16-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chip718
If you have a DVD player that decodes the DTS signal would you still need a receiver that decodes also?

I am about to buy a new DVD player, but my receiver dose not have a DTS decoder. If I do get a player that has a decoder would I be able to hear the DTS soundtrack?
No, but you need to make sure the DVD player actually has a decoder and doesn't simply pass the undecoded DTS digital stream. You also need to make sure your receiver has 5.1 analog inputs (you will connect your DVD player to the receiver with six separate audio cables).
Old 09-16-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I reciently bought this:

You're only going to get so much sound quality from a sub-$500 all-in-one system. I suspect the quality of the Panasonic speakers is going to be a limiting factor.

That said, you won't always get sound from the rear speakers. Some movies barely use the rear channels at all, while others use them quite actively, but only when the on-screen action requires them.

As far as the individual adjustments and what they mean, you'll have to crack open the owner's manual.
Old 09-17-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Mr Salty, i appreciate the help. One more question. Is it still viable to connect a receiver and get the sounds that i'm missing or get better speakers?

Last edited by roger_d; 09-17-04 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
(you will connect your DVD player to the receiver with six separate audio cables).
This is going to be a stupid question, but are ' audio cables' the same a RCAs? I have my 5.1 set up right no with only an optical cable...is that ok or should I go with the RCAs? TIA

Last edited by Chip718; 09-17-04 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Mr Salty, i appreciate the help. One more question. Is it still viable to connect a receiver and get the sounds that i'm missing or get better speakers?
The problem is the unit you bought is an all-in-one system. The DVD player is built into the receiver. Reading the owner's manual posted on Amazon's Web site, it doesn't appear the unit has any outputs that would allow you to connect the DVD player portion to an outboard receiver. Yu could conceivably connect different speakers, but then you wasted money buying the speakers that came with the unit to begin with.

My recommendation would be to return what you bought if you are able. Then buy a separate DVD player, receiver and speakers.
Old 09-17-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chip718
This is going to be a stupid question, but are ' audio cables' the same a RCAs? I have my 5.1 set up right no with only an optical cable...is that ok or should I go with the RCAs? TIA
Yes, audio cables are the same as RCAs, although to be accurate, RCA is the type of plug on the end. Component and composite video cables also use RCA connectors.

My preference is to connect the DVD player to the receiver with a digital audio cable, either an optical like you're using or a digital coax.

But in your case, you write that your receiver does not decode DTS. In this case, if your receiver has 5.1 analog inputs (the six RCA cables) and you buy a DVD player with a built-in DTS decoder, then the only way you'll be able to get DTS is through the six RCA cables, with the DVD player doing the decoding.

But as I wrote above, make sure the DVD player you buy actually has a built-in decoder. All DVD players these days will have a DTS logo on them, but that might mean they simply pass the undecoded DTS digital stream (through optical or coax digital).