Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon's Serenity

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon's Serenity

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joss Whedon's Serenity

Serenity
Written and Directed by Joss Whedon
Cinematography by Jack N. Green
Original Music by David Newman
Visual Effects by Zoic Studios
Release Date: September 30th, 2005

Post any articles, pictures, spoilers, etc. you come across here.

Serenity Links:

Universal's Official Serenity Site

Fox's Official Firefly Message Board

Firefly: The Motion Picture

FireflyFans.net

Test Screening Reviews: 1 2

The cast list known so far:

Malcolm Reynolds - Nathan Fillion
Zoe Warren - Gina Torres
Wash Warren - Alan Tudyk
Inara Serra - Morena Baccarin
Kaylee Frye - Jewel Staite
Jayne Cobb - Adam Baldwin
Simon Tam - Sean Maher
River Tam - Summer Glau
Shepherd Book - Ron Glass
The Operative - Chiwetel Ejiofor
Mr. Universe - David Krumholtz
Mingo - Yan Feldman
Fanty - Raphael Feldman
Young River Tam - Hunter Ansley Wryn
Dr. Mathias - Michael Hitchcock
Borodin - Logan O'Brien
Barker (a.k.a. Slovenly Beaumonde Man) - Joshua Michael Kwiat
Companion - Becky Stockton
Lilac Mom - Amy Wieczorek
Trade Agent - Weston Nathanson
Soldier - Ryan Tasz
Teacher - Tamara Taylor
Newsperson - Terrell Tilford
Young Man - Glenn Howerton
Girl Student #2 - Demetra Raven
Lab Tech #2 - Peter James Smith
The Op's Ensign - Scott Kinworthy
The Op's Helmsman - Erik Weiner

Behind the scenes pictures:

1 2 3 4 5

Intriguing photos from a set in the movie:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Picture of Serenity's new cockpit:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ty-cockpit.jpg

A fan named Bob Marnick was lucky enough to be an extra on Serenity and here are his behind the scenes photos:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Serenity Teaser Poster:

http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v...ity-teaser.jpg

Serenity teaser trailer bootleg:

http://www.server121.xl-server.org/d...s/serenity.wmv (WMV)

http://www.rhenium.ch/firefly/downlo...teaser_avi.zip (AVI)

http://www.hitechgadgets.net/firefly/serenityteaser.zip (AVI)

http://www.hitechgadgets.net/firefly...-teaserMPG.zip (MPEG)

Concept art:

http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v...ty-culture.jpg

Here's a banner that some fans sent to the cast and crew:

http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v...amn-banner.jpg

Here's the male cast posing in front of that banner:

1 2 3 4

Pictures of Joss Whedon and the cast at the San Diego Comic Con:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Pictures of Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin and Jewel Staite at the Dragon Con:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Here's a picture of the cake fans sent to the cast and crew to celebrate the end of filming:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...enity-cake.jpg

Serenity script review at Ain't It Cool News:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17749

From SciFiWire.com:
Serenity Comic Planned

Joss Whedon—who is directing the upcoming SF movie Serenity, based on his canceled Fox TV series Firefly—told fans at Comic-Con International that he also intends to write a new series of comic books based on the universe and characters. Speaking to thousands of fans in the San Diego Convention Center on July 25, Whedon said, "We have every intention of putting out a comic book of Serenity as well."

Whedon is no stranger to comics, having written the Dark Horse title Fray, a futuristic take on the universe introduced in his TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, as well as the current Marvel title The Astonishing X-Men. "We're talking with Dark Horse right now about doing a Serenity comic book, because of Fray," Whedon added.

Source
Character descriptions given to the casting director:

Spoiler:
All roles open to ethnicities (except River at 10). PLEASE SUBMIT ALL ETHNICITIES.

[THE OPERATIVE] A Government agent, The Operative is thoughtful, a little removed, with wire-rimmed glasses and neatly trimmed hair, wearing a suit too nondescript to be a uniform and too neat to be casual wear. An expert martial artist, assassin, investigator and tracker, who moves with the fluid grace of a killer and speaks with the eloquent sophistication of a very intelligent man. Cool in his strategic planning but a bit feral when provoked, The Operative is on a headlong collision course with a rogue ship full of renegades and thieves...LEAD

[MR. UNIVERSE] An unkempt young man, sleep-deprived, over-caffeinated and kinda sweet, he lives in an empty industrial complex on a deserted moon. Accompanied only by his lovebot, Mr. Universe is the ultimate information junkie, monitoring pretty much everything in the universe (hence his name) through a variety of video feeds and monitors. An old buddy of Mal, Mr. Universe knows he'll only hear from his pal if he's in mortal danger and needs a secret code -- or something -- to get him out of the latest spitstorm...LEAD/CAMEO 3 scenes.

[DOCTOR MATHIAS] 35-50. A cold man, more than a little satisfied with himself, Doctor Mathias is not instantly likable -- nor gradually, for that matter. He fiddles with the cerebral cortices of teenagers, and his pride in his questionable achievements has made him blind to potential ethics violations...9 speeches & 15 lines, 2 scenes

[MINGO & FANTY] 20s. A pair of young tough identical twins, whose social status is somewhere between gangsters and fur-traders. With accents that sound lower class British, Mingo and Fanty are indistinguishable from each other. Middlemen who handle stolen goods and keep the best part of the cut, they are the equivalent of the Kray Brothers of the outer rim of the galaxy. Intent on screwing Mal after his latest bank job goes badly awry, Mingo and Fanty have a quarrelsome negotiation with the cantankerous Mal, who wants to keep more than 60% of his haul. British accents are preferable but not a must...2 speeches & 8 lines, 2 scenes; 1 speech & 5 lines, 2 scenes

[SHEYDRA] A slightly older companion (40-45), Sheydra is elegant, likeable and well-spoken. She lives in a Companion Training House with Inara, and compliments her on her skill at training a new generation of consorts and courtesans. But her compliments fail to impress Inara, who is convinced that her latest crop of students are sweet, but hopelessly gauche and too undisciplined ever to qualify as true Companions. Sheydra tries to draw out Inara's reminiscences of her adventures with Mal...3 speeches & 7 lines, 1 scene

[TEACHER] The 30-50 female teacher of a group of highly gifted children, including 12 year old River, she is a soft-spoken, intelligent woman who tries to instill a belief in the virtues of The Alliance in her students...2 speeches & 11 lines, 2 scenes

[DOCTOR CARON] 40-60. female scientist (think Jane Goodall), Doctor Caron is seen as a hologram. On the desolate planet of Miranda, Doctor Caron leaves behind her hologram as an urgent message to future explorers...6 speeches & 3 lines, 1 scene

[LENORE] Early-mid 20's; A mannikin like lovebot, she is the sole companion of Mr. Universe, and lives with him on a distant and isolated moon. Dormant while Mr. Universe chats with Mal, she ultimately passes along a secret message to Mal...1 speech & 5 lines, 3 scenes

[RIVER TAM AT 10] River seen at 10 years old, she is a very bright young woman with remarkable mental powers. Insightful and empathetic, she intuitively understands the frontier rebels and their quest for freedom...1 speech & 5 lines, 2 scenes SHOULD RESEMBLE SUMMER GLAU AT 10 YEARS OLD

[YOUNG MAN] A young tough, he is one of the hostages in the bank heist. Aggressive enough to think about shooting his way out of trouble, he foolishly pursues the bank robbers, hoping to hitch a ride with them out of trouble...3 lines, 2 scenes

[ENSIGN] 20s. A young ensign aboard a spaceship, he ferries The Operative during his cross-galaxy pursuit of the Serenity...1 speech & 3 lines, at least 2 scenes

[GUARD] A young alliance bank guard on a far-distant trading station, he is an easily cowed greenhorn...6 lines, 2 scenes

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 03-10-05 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-13-04, 08:31 AM

Here's a collection of posts made by various Serenity cast and crew members:

Originally posted by Adam Baldwin at the Firefly Prospero Forums:
May 15, 2004

Joss' script is one of the best I've ever read (and I've read thousands)... We have our first full read-thru with the whole cast (HOORAY!!!) on monday!

A.B.
(flyin' again!!!)
Originally posted by Nathan Fillion at the Firefly Prospero Forums:
May 25, 2004

Hello, all.

It has been awhile. I hope everyone is well, and flyin' under Alliance radar. As I'm sure you are all aware, the movie is a go and I can finally breathe a sigh of relief with the same lungful I've been holding since cancellation. Let us in this time of celebration not forget all the hard work that has made this possible. Not the least of which is the incredible support of you, the fans. Stay rabid. Also, allow me to take a moment to tell you that Joss is a dirty fighting bastage and will kick anyone in the nuts to get this beautiful baby on the screen. With the quickness and strength of Tiger Kung-Fu, and the grace and magic of Dragon Kung-Fu, he has made this happen for us. All of us.

Now that the movie is for certain, I find myself fulfilled and lacking of much wanting. But I have come up with this: In much the same fashion of your Shindigs and Firefly viewing parties, go to the movie. Bring a friend. Bring two friends. Bring people to the movies. Lots of them. Now, I realize that movie going is an expensive endeavor nowadays (Alliance plot), so in an effort to keep it affordable - BRING YOUR OWN SNACKS.

Keep flyin',
Nathan "Cappy" Fillion

P.S. Alan Tudyk says: See "I Robot and Dodgeball".
Originally posted by Chris Buchanan at the Firefly Prospero Forums:
June 4, 2004

Browncoats,

Joss emailed this to me and I wanted to post it IMMEDIATELY because BIG NEWS is contained within. What a day we had today! But enough from me now, here's a quote from our fearless leader:

Originally e-mailed by Joss Whedon

Hi guys. Just wanted to give you some news but guess what? I can't get on the site. I have trouble with passwords. So hopefully Chris B. will forward this to you with his wily technical knowledgablosity.

Today was (as I think you know) the first day of filming of Serenity. Which is pretty big for me (it felt weird to START with Mal's death, but scheduling isn't my area). It was a blast. Sean said it was like school was back in session after summer vacation, which I have decided to take as a compliment. Gina did a happy dance (and there are few happier sights than Gina doing a happy dance). We're still flying. And the best part is, that's not even why I'm posting.

The real news, and you heard it here first, is that Universal has thrown down an official release date! So mark your calendars, Browncoats, 'cause if you're planning to get married on April 22nd 2005, you better change the date. Seriously. Who gets married in April? Just change it.

April 22nd. Exactly when I wanted to open, 'cause it's SOON. I can't wait for you all to see what we're putting together. It's a crazy-quilt of infotainment that I like to call a 'film', and it just may be the best one ever made. Or one of the ones in the middle. Probably not the worst... I'm thinking middle. High middle. So buckle up and get ready for that patented Joss Whedon "high-middle" excitment. It's on its way.

I'm tired, and apparently I have to direct, like, EVERY scene, so I'm crashing. Thanks again, all of you, for helping me home. It's good to be back.

-Joss.
It was a shiny, shiny day!

Best,
Buchanan
Originally posted by Jewel Staite on her official website:
June 8, 2004

Well, day three on the set of "Serenity" begins tomorrow. My day three, anyway. I think they're actually on day six or seven. Anyway. We're back in the desert, where we shot the majority of our exterior scenes for the series, and MAN!! does it get hot out there. It's the kind of hot where you open the oven door to check on dinner, and you just get that dry, stifling blast. I can't imagine anyone living in the desert. I'm outside for five minutes, and I'm already whining about how sweaty I am.

I only work two days this week, and then Matty and I are off to Florida for the DreamCon convention. I just got my itinerary from Ron, the guy who's throwing the convention, and it looks like I'm going to be alone (!) for the question and answer periods for the first time. I'm always worried that what I say doesn't make sense. I'm much better in writing. When you have hundreds of eyes glued to you, the pressure is really on, you know what I mean? For the Starfury convention, I did all of my Q&A periods with Summer Glau, so we could sort of look to each other if we didn't know the "correct" response to a question. Or if we couldn't understand what people were saying, because besides being echo-y in there, Scottish accents are difficult to understand-- at the best of times. Trust me, I have relatives that are Scottish, and I'm like, "what did you just say?" But the highlight of the Q&A sessions was watching Nathan Fillion: that man is so great with audiences. They were riveted by him. Hell, I was riveted. He's just so relaxed, and so confident, and he made every fan feel very special. And he stood, instead of sat, on stage, which was a good choice. He was very "in control" of the room. I learned a lot watching him.

Anyway. Matty and I went out to sushi at our favorite Japanese restaurant in LA, called 'Hamasaku'. The guy who runs it, Toshi, is hilarious. We kind of go just for him, even though the food is fantastic. He was always bugging me to bring him a Firefly poster, and FOX never had any made, and all we had were these old publicity shots. So I brought him one of those, and he hung it up in the restaurant right ABOVE Christina Aguilera's picture that she had brought him. ABOVE. We'll definitely be going back.

Tonight, we're making ravioli and watching a movie, and then it's early to bed for me. My call time tomorrow morning is 6:30 AM, and it takes me an hour to get to the location. I'll write next week after my DreamCon experience and give you the dirt on all of that.

Jewel
June 16, 2004

I can't promise you a weekly thing, the schedule keeps me on my toes and I type slowly. However, here's a bit of a blog for you.

First day of filming for me is not the first day of filming overall. That honor was Sean's and Summer's. But all were present when we arrived in the desert out by the old abandoned mine to begin what will be two weeks of exterior shooting. I can't tell you how it warmed my heart to see the cast not only together (I've seen that a couple of times since the show's demise), but in costume as well. Jewel looks great in a version of her old green work overalls (has she gotten taller?). Sean is appropriately overdressed for what we are doing out there. Adam's t-shirt designs and gun belts will have the fans in a tizzy, I'm sure -- he looks too cool for words. Ron has had a minor overhaul and reminds me of a Native American shaman, a logical twist. Summer looks both ethereal and eerie walking -- no, drifting about. Alan looks both relaxed and tough in his new togs and has the best footwear of all of us. Morena, of course, is Morena. One look is never quite enough. It is easy to imagine the high class she occupies in the 'verse of Firefly. Gina fuses supermodel and badass in an outfit tailored to her physique. She's been working out, you'll see.

I couldn't be happier. Everyone has slipped right back in where we left off, but there is a difference. There is some kind of special magic in the resurrection. We all feel it. We are back in a way the series never could be. I have a glad heart when I watch Joss talking to the ship's crew. I can only look at him and smile. I smile a lot these days. More even than I thought I would. Thank you Joss. Thank you Universal. Thank you crew. Thank you cast. Thank you cast especially for laughing at all the same old crappy material I used to use.

Captain Tightpants
June 19, 2004

We have completed the first two weeks of filming, and with that, all the exterior shots for Serenity. No more will cast and crew have to lug equipment and themselves out to the far reaches of the desert to battle the sun, dust, smoke, or the tiny little noseeums that seem impervious to bugspray and all too eager to feast upon our flesh. Happily, we all must report to work on Monday to the stages of Universal City, where we shall face new challenges like finding our own lunches and saying something clever to passing tour trams.

Perhaps due to those minor hardships, and the amount of adventures that are crammed into one day, it seems forever ago that we started rehearsals. Yet there is a long way to go. It is a far cry from filming the series, evident in watching the previous day's work in the extreme luxury of the daily trailer. The huge screen at the end of this monstrosity entertains us with images of my favorite cast being BDH's. It is going to be a real charge the first time we get to see River going "koo koo" when her face is 17' high.

My heart now looks forward to the first time I see Serenity again. My only contact with her since I watched them pulling apart her last remnants at the Fox lot has been the cargo bay doors, with us on location. It will warm my cockles to see her reborn, courtesy of the creative minds of Universal. This will not be an exact duplicate, folks. Learn to love it. Be comfortable with the idea of getting to know her all over again, and falling in love all over again. For she is our home now.

Let's go home.
June 20, 2004

As of yesterday, I have two whole weeks off!! Yay! I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself, since I'm not used to having that kind of time off, but here I am. Lots of lying by the pool, reading my book, watching movies, cooking, and spending time with Matt, which are all of my favorite things to do. I have this obsession with watching the food network with a pen and paper at the ready, watching my favorite shows. Rachel Ray is the best. I have two of her cookbooks. All of her stuff is foolproof, and she has great "company's coming over" kind of recipes. I tell everyone I made the recipes up myself, on a whim, "threw this and this together". You should see their faces. I've never had a bad recipe with Rachel Ray.

I cook a lot of pastas. Italian is our favorite. It absolutely amazes me how many people are carb-conscious these days. NO ONE is eating carbs, especially here in LA. There is something wrong with completely cancelling something out of your diet like that. It just doesn't sound safe to me. Or healthy. Or fun. We have pasta at least twice a week, and bread all the time. How could you have a sandwich without any carbs? How could you give up sandwiches?

Anyway. DreamCon was an adventure (we went last weekend for three days). We met lots of great fans, and pumped the hell out of the movie. The Q&A sessions were my favorite, again. I was also invited to attend DragonCon at the end of August/beginning of September, which sounds like a blast. These conventions are the easiest thing in the world. You show up, sign some stuff, chat for a couple of hours, take some pictures, and collect your fee. It is literally the easiest way of making money short of robbing a bank. And sometimes I do feel like I'm robbing a bank in a sense, because I have so much fun.

I saw "Dodgeball" last night, Alan Tudyk's new movie. He was fabulous, of course. Alan is one of my favorite people. He filmed "I, Robot" in Vancouver for a few months in the summer of 2003. We hung out with him a lot, had lots of dinners out, took him to a few "hot spots", had some barbeques... He's such a great person. This year is going to be really incredible for him. Two movies coming out, back to back! It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I'm getting new headshots taken tomorrow morning. Finally. My most recent ones are from four years ago, and I look a little different since then. They were taken in my "Just Deal" days, with the shorter, straighter, blonder hair. Taking new headshots is always fun. You get to be yourself (whoever that is) and wear what you want to wear, and do your own hair and make-up. You're not promoting anything (but you) and you don't have to listen to anyone else's ideas about how it's going to go. And you get to choose which pictures you want to use.

We're off to breakfast with some friends. Pancakes and croissants and all the carbs I can possibly consume in one sitting.

Jewel
June 21, 2004

So... there I was, sitting on the set of Joss Whedon's "Serenity".

I gotta tell you that this is even more fun than the BDTVS (Big Damn TV Show, Angel) was.

We now have completed an amazingly well organized location schedule of twelve days and only had one Techno-Crane get destroyed. Thank God (as I understand Him/Her) for insurance. ;-)

The snappiest thing that I observed during this "incident" was our illustrious cinematographer Jack Green (IMDB his credits!) shouting: "Is anyone hurt? No! Was there any exposed film on that roll?!!! No! OK, back to work! I want a steady-cam mount on the front end of the camera-truck right now! We're losing the light people!!!"

What a stud!

Then:

Nathan, from the top of the ****ing craft, assuming his patented goofy smily crossed-eyed facey voice; shrugs and says: "Sometimes it happens, ahee!"

I love these BDHs!!! It's a party!!!
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms at Serenity: The Official Movie Website:
June 22, 2004

Big Damn Blog #1

Hey there Blogerinos!

Dusty Bottoms here with your first official report from the set of SERENITY. Think of me as your man inside, your Dabney Coleman if you will. Yup, the man with the plan, the inside scoop, the in's, the out's, the what have you's. That's all I can say about myself for now. For if you knew my true identity... Well, I'd probably just have to get a larger inbox.

Anyway, as you probably already know from Capt. Tightpants' blog, principal photography began a little over two weeks ago and they've been shooting out on location making with the false science. But what you don't know, and I'm happy to report, is the rampage Mr. Whedon is on. Yes indeed, I got to sneak a peek of some of the footage and it looks amazing. They have this full-size mobile movie theatre for screening dailies and I tell you this, seeing our crew up on the big screen is freegin' awesome! Big Damn Heroes.

The past two weeks have been like something out of Enemy Mine. No wait... Beastmaster. I'm just kidding. Or am I? Could the random reference have anything to do with a Louis Gossett Jr. sighting? Perhaps Book is reunited with his long lost brother? Maybe Mr. Junior hijacks the crew of Serenity and heads to the center of the galaxy in a search for God. Eh? Eh?

But enough spoiler action - for now. Recently they completed filming a sequence out in the desert and it was gorramn exciting I tell ya. Do you remember the Mule/ATV from the series? (Prominently displayed in which three eps?) What if that Mule was addicted to steroids and had been eating nothing but egg whites, bulking up on Creatine and working out six days a week? Now imagine it wasn't an ATV at all, but more of, say... a HOVER CRAFT! You should see this thing flying past you with our gang in the cockpit. Whooooosh!

As for the cast - the gang is so jazzed up just being back together; and to make a movie no less. They are making awesome with the acting. If Nathan Fillion was any more charming he could turn a straight man gay. I'm just sayin' is all. And just thinking about Morena and Jewel could turn a gay woman, well, even gayer. Oye! Here's a question: If Niska was holding the girls hostage in his space-torture-plex-thingy and you could only save one, who would it be? You pervert.

Now for the juicy details only your inside man, Dusty, could bring you. Hold on to your hats! (No, not the one's from "Safe".) Unfortunately, last Monday's shoot did not go without incident. At lunchtime the catering truck served prime rib with garlic-mashed potatoes and some sort of mixed green salad with goat cheese, pecans and strawberries. But even more shocking than the lack of a vegan alternative, was the discovery made by one of our cast members. Trying to conceal a secret sham, this unnamed star wandered around back of the chow truck to sneak a side of ketchup for his salad. It was there that he witnessed the caterers secretly using Mrs. Dash instead of salt. Nooooooooooo!

This is Dusty Bottoms saying, "Beat it, geek."
Originally posted by Jewel Staite at FireflyFans.net:
June 23, 2004

I figured since Nathan, Adam and who knows who else has been posting on here and keeping you guys up to date, I might as well, too. I just bought a new lap top and am very anxious to use it! (If I can figure out how). "Serenity" is a dream come true. Working with these wonderful people who love their jobs so much, every day, all day, is just awesome. WE ARE BACK!!!! Some things have changed, but not a lot, and no, Adam, I'm not giving away any spoilers. I can say this, though: Joss is a genius. This script is truly one of the best I've read, and I'm incredibly honored to be doing this film -- his first film -- and my first film as a lead (!). How exciting is that!? There hasn't been a bad day yet. Even with dust in your mouth and sunscreen running into your eyes and sweat making little pools under your boobs... this is still the best job I've ever had. Thank you, thank you, thank you to the fans out there. Your continued support makes this whole experience even more enjoyable. I'll write again soon!

Jewel
Originally posted by Jewel Staite at the Firefly Prospero Forums:
June 26, 2004

Hey Guys!

I've been checking the fireflyfans.net boards frequently, and hadn't been able to find you guys, but here you are! I thought I would post something just saying how much we all appreciate your support and positive thoughts out there.

Filming is going swimmingly. We've finished all of our exterior location scenes, and we've since started work on the Universal Studios lot on all of our interior stuff. The sets are AMAZING. I hope no one will be disappointed. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to walk onto that ship again. The cast looks great as well-- our wardrobe has been tweaked to look a little sharper, a little more unique, and maybe even a little sexier.

I wish I could tell you the surprises the movie has in store for you all, but as you know, I've signed my name in blood... and I want you to be genuinely surprised! As for keeping you updated on how things are going, I'll continue to post on fireflyfans.net, and here as well. I have a little time off right now, and haven't shot anything on the studio sets as of yet, but I couldn't help myself and went by for a visit yesterday. Joss is, of course, grinning from ear to ear. Morena was there, dressed in one of Inara's gowns and looking as gorgeous as ever. I hear some of our background performers are secret "browncoats", keeping themselves well hidden but always watching... We LOVE you guys!!!! We are always happy to meet you.

To anyone I saw at DreamCon in Florida recently, I had an absolute blast-- the Q&A periods were my favorite, and I loved answering all of your questions about the show, and the ones I COULD answer about the movie. Starfury in the UK (back in April) was also amazing-- the "girl with the white hat", as she's called herself, was the fan that stood out to me the most. She had the best questions, and was just the sweetest thing.. so if she's out there, thank you for making that experience even more enjoyable for me! I've just been contacted by the DragonCon people, and we're trying to get me out there to say hello at the end of August, beginning of September weekend. I may be off work by then, so that would be great if I could attend.

Anyway, thank you again for kind words and your support. I love reading your posts, and will continue to do so every chance I get!

Talk to you soon....

Jewel a.k.a. "Kaylee"
June 26, 2004

Hey Guys!

I just figured out how to find the "offical boards" for Firefly. It took me long enough. Anyway, I posted there as well. They had a transcript of a Q&A session I did at DreamCon(a few weeks ago), and man, do I say "like" a lot. And "umm."

So we're finished our exterior stuff. It's nice to be in an air-conditioned studio-- and especially nice when you live ten minutes away from that studio. No more getting up an hour before having to be at work to hit the freeway. BLISS! Rumor has it that some of our "background performers" are secret Browncoats, which is pretty cool. I had no idea you guys were that dedicated! Working on a set isn't always fabulous and exciting, so just the fact that you guys are willing to sit there for twelve plus hours a day just to participate in the BDM ( I love that you guys call it that) is very, very cool.

DreamCon was a blast, and thank you to everyone that participated in the Q&A sessions. I really and truly wish that those sessions went on for more than an hour-- an hour never seems long enough. Starfury was awesome, too, and us Firefly folk got such a positive, strong response out there... It was really uplifting. I was just contacted by the DragonCon people about attending this year. That would be great, since I've never been to Atlanta, and they've never had a Firefly guest before. If my schedule allows it (which I think it will, unless they want to re-shoot something at the last minute... or the wrap party is that weekend-- which I cannot miss, because when we wrapped the series, FOX didn't give us one, so we've been waiting for a proper wrap party for far too damn long), I will be at DragonCon. I cannot WAIT to meet all you crazy browncoats and answer your questions... at least the ones I can without getting sued by Universal (and shunned by Joss).

I went by the set on Universal yesterday and hung out behind the monitor with Joss for awhile. Things are lookin' good.... The sets (and I'm talking about the ones besides the ship) are gorgeous. So innovative, and different, and beautifully detailed. I can't wait for your reactions.

Pretty soon, I'm filming some scenes in the engine room. I can't wait for that. "home sweet home". I'll update you when I can soon.
Thank you again, guys, for posting such positive and inspirational messages. I really love reading your posts.

Take care, fly high.

Jewel
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms at Serenity: The Official Movie Website:
July 6, 2004

Big Damn Blog #2

I feel like a big fat blog.

"Note to self. Find out who this Dusty Bottoms is and destroy him, have him eaten and then kill him!" - Joss Whedon

Good Blog to you,

It appears that in just the few short weeks of my clandestine activities I've made some powerful enemies. First off, an apology by way of omission of error. The Chappy sighting was not exactly correct. Don't ask me, but somehow I accidentally mixed up Louis Gossett Jr. with Barbara Streisand, what can I say. We've all done it. But I can assure you this time I'm 100% right, Babs is in the hizz-ouse! Now, I know what you're thinking. Who are the geniuses responsible for this little piece of casting brilliance? I thought the same thing. But what I didn't take into account is the 'Whedon factor'. Joss is the master at blending genres. If you don't think that Barbara Streisand bludgeoning Mal with a compressor coil, stepping over his bloody corpse and bursting into "You don't bring me flowers," all within the first ten minutes of the movie, will be believable AND further the plot, urine for a treat.

Now, besides the costs involved in assassinating Kathy Griffin, I don't know much. But I do know you're here for an update. So hold on to your bags and boards, 'cause here's the skinny. Chiwetel Ejiofor started work last week in the role of The Operative, the movie's antagonist. I got to watch his first scene, he nailed every take and the crew was blown away. The man's an acting machine. I tell you this, Chiwetel's gonna change how we think about getting' hit in the face with a pie.

The Cast and Crew have finished their location work and now call Universal Studios home. The production occupies four huge sound stages on the lot; three of which are in constant flux with various Sci Fi sets being raised, shot, and broken down. The fourth stage is exclusively home to... you guessed it, Serenity. The rebuilt Firefly class cargo ship is gorgeous. The same, yet different. Everything you loved about the original remains, yet with more detail, richer textures and colors. Walking through the new ship has proven cathartic for many of the cast and crew returning from the series. It took a year, but Joss got his ship back.

This is Dusty Bottoms saying, "Beat it, geek."
July 8, 2004

My two weeks of time off are over and I'm back to working twelve-plus hours a day. Still not complaining though. Every time I get to see some of our footage of the stuff we've already shot, I'm even more excited to come to work again the next day.

Filming on Universal is a real trip. My dressing room is really close to the Jurassic Park ride, so every four minutes or so, this song comes on to signify the end of the ride. The Jurassic Park theme song. I thought it was really cool for, like, the first eight times, and now I'm humming it in my sleep. The trams go right by my dressing room too, which is surreal. I leave my door open when I'm inside to get fresh air going through, and I'll look up and have tourists peering in at me like I'm some kind of lion at the zoo. And if I have sunglasses on, they'll take pictures. They don't even care to know who I am... they just think that if I'm wearing shades, I must be somebody. It's pretty hilarious. When I'm really bored, I wave at them like I'm the queen. They get really confused when you wave.

So many things are filming at Universal along with us. I wish I could go around and peek inside everyone's sound stages just to see what's happening. I'm pretty convinced that our sound stages are the coolest, especially "legendary" Stage 12 (don't ask my why it's legendary... I have no idea what's filmed there, but everyone uses the word "legendary" before they say Stage 12). Our whole ship is built in there. The whole first level—cargo bay, infirmary, bunks, etc. and the second level—engine room, aft deck, dining room, foredeck, and the bridge. I can't tell you how overwhelmed I was when I first walked on to that set, all lit up. It's like no time has passed. Well, the ship's gotten a little bit of a make over, but nothing too major—just a few special details added here and there. It all looks so great.

Today we were filming some special effects stuff, which always takes for-EVER. We had a lot of time on our hands, so we were all joking about how it would be funny if it was "Serenity: the Musical". We were all trying to determine who sang and who didn't. They call me the "closet singer" because I never, ever sing in hearing range of anyone. Joss was like, pointing a finger at me, "I know YOU sing, because I read it on your web site!!" I was like, "huh?" Joss reads my web sites? Is that weird? I guess if I read his, it's not. And I do sometimes. Just to see what he says about me. Ha ha. I'm joking. Well, not really.

Anyway, I'm back to work tomorrow. More special effects stuff. More Jurassic Park theme song. But life is good. Every day on this movie, I'm looking around really realizing that.

Jewel
July 11, 2004

Hello to the faithfuls.

Just an update, since you’ve asked. Or maybe you haven’t actually asked, but I’m giving you one anyway. Just completed another week on the "BDM" at our home-away-from-home, Universal. We were doing some special effects-type shots and stunt work, which takes a loooong time to complete and requires little acting. So we did a lot of laughing instead. Nathan was his usual crazy self, doing his "old material" as he likes to call it... but somehow it never stops being funny. It’s always great to work as a group, and have everyone there. Just like old times, right?

We’ve heard a little rumor that there will be some browncoats joining us come Monday. We will be filming our "Beaumonde" stuff, which takes place right in front of our cargo bay. If I don’t get a chance to meet everyone, I’ll welcome you now and say that our set is one of the friendliest, happiest sets around. And no, I’m not giving you baloney-- we are still having fun and still loving every minute of it.

As for me personally, I’m taking my weekend to relax, see some movies with my hubby, and go to a party at Nathan’s this evening. (see? we really do hang out together when we’re not working!) I seem to have used too much self-tanner this morning and I look like I’ve been rolling around in dirt, but alas, these problems can be solved. For anyone requiring additional personal information (I won’t put you through it involuntarily), you can visit http://jewelstaite.net where I’ve been trying to write letters at least bi-weekly. A dear friend named Roger runs that site, and he posts my silly and sometimes meaningless comments about my life and my life on Serenity in a "dear roj" column. Again, it can be boring, so don’t read it unless you have nothing else to do. But I’m alternating between posting here, there, and at the "green" firefly site, just in case you need more news on the good ol BDM!!

You guys are awesome, awesome, and awesome. I love reading all of your (sometimes hilarious) posts and I can’t WAIT for you guys to check out this movie!! It is going to rule the ’verse!

Love, me.

Jewel
Originally posted by Chris Buchanan at Serenity: The Official Movie Website:
July 22, 2004

Thanks again for all your support!

Hellloooo, Browncoats!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Chris Buchanan, right hand man to Joss (which is paradoxical because he's actually left-handed) and one of the producers of the BDM. I'm also known as "Affable Chap" on the OB. And my mom still calls me "Christopher" when I'm in trouble.

It's great to be guest hosting the official SERENITY blog whilst Dusty sorts out some personal legal issues that have arisen here on the Universal lot. I'm amazed by the extent that the Patriot Act comes into play when someone accidentally "borrows" a big star's golf cart. I also had no idea that Universal had such a secure "detention facility" as part of their studio tour. Live and learn, I guess.

The past week has been another long week of flying for the cast and crew alike on our beloved ship, SERENITY. I could describe in detail the ins and outs of the latest version of our little Firefly-class boat, but I think you'll want to wait and see the epic tour of SERENITY Joss shot on Super 35 instead. I'll just give you some impressionistic snippets from the set:

Things heard:

*"SUMMER!"
*Jurassic Park theme. Over and over and over.
*"I did not murder him!"
*Nathan singing.
*Cast members muttering in Chinese.
*Ongoing political debate between certain unnamed cast members.
*A bunch of cheers as we screened our first clip of the movie.

Things seen:

*Our crew gathered around the wooden table in the galley, just like old times.
*Tight pants. (No, not just those on the Captain.)
*The beginnings of a wicked cool new saloon.
*Ice Cream.
*Blue Sun hooch.
*Stars, smoke and fire.
*An extremely buff, shirtless crew member working on the ship.
*Visitors to the set with mouths agog and the magnitude and beauty of our boat.

Every day when I go on set, it really brings home the fact that we've kept SERENITY off the scrap heap and put her back in the black where she belongs. And by "we" I mean all of you, too. Thanks again for all of your support!

As a small gesture of fan payback, we are marking the launch of official SERENITY marketing and promotional efforts with a very special panel at this weekend's Comic-Con in San Diego, CA. I wish we could simulcast the entire thing worldwide on the Internet, but we can't, so you'll have to rely on fellow Browncoats to spread the word. And, trust me; you'll want to hear it all!

For those of you in the San Diego area this weekend, Joss wanted to make sure you had the pertinent details of his appearance at Comic-Con this coming Sunday with the entire cast of the show:

What: Joss Whedon/SERENITY panel
When: Sunday July 25th, 1-2pm
Where: Room 20
Who: Joss, Nathan, Gina, Adam, Summer, Jewel, Ron, Alan, Sean, Morena

We will also be screening the first footage from SERENITY shown anywhere! The panel will be followed by a signing session in room 28DE, where there will be give-aways for those of you interested. (Like you're not interested!)

I'll be there, too, with our editor, Lisa Lassek, and our visual effects wizard, Loni Peristere and our respective posses. Stop by and say "hi."

Best,
Buchanan

PS: Good news for Dusty, Nathan just sent over a stack of signed photos to the "tour" department. Apparently, they trade just like currency in parts of Universal City. Fingers crossed, DB will be back soon.
July 23, 2004

We are officially "more than half way" to finishing "Serenity". It's unbelievable that time is flying by this fast. And it's even more unbelievable that I still don't know my way around the Universal lot. I know where the Starbucks is, though. And I know exactly how much time it takes to get from my house to the front door of my trailer in the morning. I've timed this so I can sleep in as much as possible, which is kind of sad and stupid, because another eight minutes of sleep really doesn't make any kind of difference at all.

But you know what does? Snapple. I put a little bug in somebody's ear that I loved me an ice-cold lemon iced tea Snapple every once in a while, and someone planted two cases of the stuff in my trailer. So now I have an addiction. I have to drink all of it before the shoot is over, or all of those lovely little Snapple's will go to waste.

The dailies have been looking great so far. Every lunch hour, the crew and the cast (the ones that can stand to watch themselves on screen, that is) scurry into the viewing theatre next to our stage to see what kind of magic we've created the day before. They have lunch there for us, so we pile our plates in a hurry, and then settle into our seats to watch the footage. Problem is, once the lights go out, it is BLACK in there, and you can't see what kind of forkful you're getting, so it's always a surprise what lands in your mouth. I ate my butter packet yesterday, a nice big mouthful of foil and lard. So now I inhale my food before the lights go down and then suffer through indigestion for the rest of the lunch hour. Good times!

This Sunday is ComiCon, which we're all very excited about. Universal is flying us out there bright and early, and we're spending the day doing a panel and an autograph session. We've never done anything as a whole and complete cast convention- wise, so it'll be very cool. I've also confirmed my attendance at DragonCon during labor day weekend. Matty's birthday is September 4th, so his birthday party will have to be postponed until we come back. We've never been to Georgia, so we're pretty excited.

People on the Firefly/Serenity message boards are still chattering about my weight. I don't look skinnier. Just older. Because I am. And since I'm in my twenties, it's hard for me to keep weight on. I feel happy though, and healthy. When I'm hungry I eat, and when I'm full I stop. It's a perfect existance. The only times I go overboard is if there are cheeseburgers around, and the only times I go under-board is when there's corn or Thai food around. I hate corn and I hate Thai food. Hate. Passionately. But no, they're not adding weight to me in CGI, and no, Joss isn't force-feeding me every day at the craft service table. Kaylee will look like Jewel (unfortunately? fortunately?) because that's who's playing her. Thank God.

P.S. I saw I, Robot with Mr. Tudyk himself the other day and LOOOVED it. Yay, Alan!

Jewel
August 7, 2004

A little birdy told me that: "The studio is robustly enthusiastic!"

Brother, we begin some really gnarly action sequences on Monday which will last for three or so weeks. I think we wrap on the 24th.

The footage is amazing!

Summer Glau is a Big Damn Movie Star!!!

Just like Nate and the rest of his crew!

Serenity always,

A.B.
(T.M.T.C.J.)
Originally posted by Nathan Fillion on the official site:
August 18, 2004

There are so many people working together to make Serenity. The set, backstage, and basecamp are only a few places buzzing with activity to bring Joss' universe to the fans. Too numerous to mention in a mere Blog, but today, I must raise a glass in appreciation of two people without whom our production would surely crumble. None of us could be here, grinding away all day without Mary and Ernie. You won't see them operating a camera, adjusting wardrobe or creating masterful prosthetics, nor will you find them constructing massive sets or intricate props.

Instead, you will drink their coffee and juices. You'll spoon their fresh fruit onto their cereal (so many choices) and follow it with one of their pastries. You'll feast on their soups and tacos, burgers and sandwiches - all the fuel behind the machine that is Serenity is due to their diligent, loving labors. When moods sink with blood sugar levels, Mary and Ernie only smile whilst we clumsily feast on their ice cream treats. The endless Birthdays present no challenge to them with their equally endless supply of cakes and candles. You have saved me everyday, Ernie. You feed my belly and my heart, Mary.

Thank you so much. From all of us.

Nathan
Originally posted by Jewel Staite on her official site:
August 27, 2004

Serenity is officially over. I'm going to the wrap party tomorrow night. We've packed up our stuff in boxes. My dressing room is cleared out. Kinda crazy that it went by so fast, but I knew it would.

The last two weeks (specifically my last week, which was second to last for the rest of the crew) was very, very hectic. We saved the most difficult stuff to the end, which I guess was a good idea, considering we had so much time (and so much fun) doing the nice stuff for the first two months. But all of the action stuff was tagged on at the end of the schedule, which means lots of scrambling to get our "days"... and by that I mean, lots of overtime. Some of us-- and I won't say who because that would be saying too much-- had so much stunt/wire work to do, they basically worked all day and then went straight to rehearsal (which we call Fight Camp), and then got up in the morning to work again, and so on. Whew.

I'm glad that we were so busy, though, because none of us could see "the end" coming so much. And when it did happen, it was very surreal. It was late at night, and everyone was fired up on caffeine (having slept probably about six hours the night before, if that), and ready to keep filming... and suddenly it was announced that we were wrapped. And not just any wrap... "picture wrapped". But it was a really lovely moment. Everyone was so exhausted, we literally collapsed into each other's arms for a hug and vowed to celebrate at the wrap party (so we didn't really have to say good-bye right then)... and that was it.

To be a part of something so special is incredibly gratifying. I can't wait to see the finished cut with all the special effects included. I can't wait to see people's reactions. It's going to an interesting 2005.

As will DragonCon, which is next weekend... That snuck up on me, too. Adam and Nathan are going, (as the whole world knows by now at this point) which is nice for me. I have my big bro's there to help me spread the word. It'll be a nice cap to a wonderful experience.

What a place to be in right now. I feel great. Tired, but great.

I'll write when I'm home in beautiful Van-city.

Jewel
Originally posted by Nathan Fillion on the official site:
August 31, 2004

Once again, I have come to the boards to see where all those Browncoats are, what they are doing, and how they may be speading the Serenity word. The movie is finished. Friday was my last day, Saturday the wrap party, and now, my days are my own. I have promised myself to get on top of some appointments, a carpentry project, and travel arrangements for a well deserved vacation. Yet so far, I haven't been able to pry myself away from the Universal lot.

Yesterday I darkened the doors of our editors in order to scam a copy of the gag reel for myself and some of my castmates (whom I later met for dinner). At the same time, I pestered Lisa Lassek to show me dailies from the final days shooting and together we fantasized about the finished product being a box office smash/little picture that could.

Now is the time to let this baby of ours go off to summer camp, put her in the capable hands of the counsellors at Zoic, have music and sound put to her, and let her grow up. It will be hard, letting go, but we have done all we can. Rest assured, Joss will be holding her hand the entire way. He'll be making sure she wears a life jacket on canoe outtings, and watching that she doesn't sneak across the lake to make out with the boys at Camp Flibbidee Joop.

As for spreading the Serenity word? So many people I see (my deli, sushi restaurant, and hardware store) say "Where have you been?" Filming the best movie of all time." I reply. "Serenity?" they ask. "Yes, Serenity indeed." I have also purchased 11 sets of the DVDs. I am driving them around to cast members homes to get them signed, and then I shall distribute them to the needy and loud spoken. One condition applies. The set shall be watched, then used to convert a least three people between now and Aprill 22. If among my friends someone already has a set, my autographed set shall replace theirs, and their old set shall be passed on for keeps, honoring the same condition.

What have you been doing to convert the unenlightened, hedonistic masses? How shall we wake the word from their Firefly-less slumber. Is there anything illegal about brainwashing or Firefly as a cult? Think of the tax breaks and the enormous amount of power I'll weild and abuse as a high priest, or just Captain. Ron can be high priest.

Be good to each other,
Nathan Fillion
September 9, 2004

The snowball that is Firefly...

Just wanted to say thank-you to everyone who made Dragon*Con such an absolute blast. All three of us had an excellent time, and we were floored by the support and the love from the fans out there. The little Firefly that could, right? How is it that this could have happened? I can't explain it. All I can do is feel grateful.

As for how much we need to make our first couple of weekends in order to carry on with our fantastic trilogy: All studios ever want to do is make their money back. That constitutes a huge hit for them. So as long as that budget comes back to them, which is $40 mil as we all know, then they will be happy as clams. Whoever made the comment (I was snooping) that the second weekend is almost as important as the first weekend is absolutely correct: the interest has to carry through a little bit. A big drop in ticket sales after opening weekend is never a good thing. So if you do plan on seeing it twice, do so once the first weekend, and once the second weekend. Now, if you're a TRUE fan (like me), then you'll see it five times the first weekend and five times the second!! I for one am seeing it at least twice the day it opens, and I'm taking all of my family and all of my friends...

This is very exciting for all of us. We feel the anticipation and the enthusiasm building for this project, and after working so hard and loving it so much, it feels really redeaming. (think I spelled that wrong but who cares). To those of you I met at the con who expressed that enthusiasm to me personally, I LOVE you truly. I can promise you that this film will give you goosebumps, as it did to me, and you will walk away satisfied. There may be things you will love and there may be things you don't, but I trust Joss's storytelling ability whole-heartedly, and I can say that he is a very brilliant man who knows how to work an audience!

Thank you again for everything you've done for us. I'm glad we're your "big damn heroes", and I feel proud. This is the best fan base there ever was for the best show that ever was. Here's to upcoming successes! You're awesome!

Jewel

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 09-13-04 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-13-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh my god, you actually deleted a full 2 page thread just so you could repost your material?

You do know this is a DISCUSSION board. Thus, you just killed two pages of actual discussions so you can post news items and I'm sure you plan on deleting them and reposting them again to phantom bump.

Here's a collection of posts made by various Serenity cast and crew members:
Hey, how about the collection of post made by the members of this message board? You know, the ones where people discussed their views on it? They are deleted. Wow, that is really fuck'n lame.
Old 09-13-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why the hell did you delete and repost?
Old 09-13-04, 02:41 PM
Registered

Please do not delete and repost your threads. They WILL be closed...
Old 09-14-04, 06:24 AM

I'll address this once and only once, the previous Serenity thread has been deleted by mistake. I'm as disappointed as everyone else but move on and don't clutter the thread with any more talk of it. The administrator gkleinman has allowed the thread to be reopened and I'd like to keep it open so that people have a place to go to for the latest news on the movie. Stay on topic, keep flying. Thanks.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 09-14-04 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-14-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im glad this thread was posted up, I never saw that Serenity teaser before, I only wish it was officially released.
Old 09-14-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny how it was "accidentally" deleted after you had a problem with a post and asked the poster to remove it.
Old 09-14-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Barry Woodward
I'll address this once and only once, the previous Serenity thread has been deleted by mistake. I'm as disappointed as everyone else but move on and don't clutter the thread with any more talk of it. The administrator gkleinman has allowed the thread to be reopened and I'd like to keep it open so that people have a place to go to for the latest news on the movie. Stay on topic, keep flying. Thanks.
since you addressed it once and only once and I was part of it all, I'll respond once and only once to what happened. I think you are more disappointed that your restarting plan didn't work and that the thread was closed more then anything else. Hell if you did "Accidently" delete it you would have made note of it in this thread already when you restarted. But the matter was you wanted to forget all about the other thread. Hope no one noticed a new thread and the other one gone. But it didn't work and of course the lack of mentioning the other thread was a dead give away. So since I was there during the parts which you wanted to rub out here is how it happened.

It went down like this. You were phantom bumping the thread. While I thought it was a great informative thread I was getting annoyed that it was bumped non stop throughout the day and I thought "Hey, new content. I'll click to see what's the news" Only to find out that it was the same old info you posted earlier in the day and kept deleting and bumping.

So I called you on it and then you admited to the phantom bumping and asked me to delete my post and you would delete yours. I am against deleting post for the obvious reason that I like post.. I like them a lot. that lead to four more post and you asked pretty please and then boom, the thread was gone... All except all the items you posted. Funny how you were able to get back all that stuff you had laid out. Sort of like you loaded the boat before the flood and had knowledge of the pending doom that awaits once you would need to restart your thread having the exact same format as your original thread. You deleted on purpose. there is no way your thread's format would be the same unless you knew that the end was coming and planned ahead to restart the thread.

What I dislike is that I really think you did this on purpose just to rub off any off topic discussion or anything that could some what be off topic. There was a lot of things posted by others that was on topic and very informative from their experience from dragon con, comic con and well.. just their thoughts on the series and you really had no right to delete that shit. It really annoys me that this seems like your attitude.

Threads will take on a life of their own. Why the hell do you think you have the right or the ability to control the content and the way a discussion is carried out? Threads will carry a life of their own. You should realize that now. Keep with your updating because it's good stuff but post it once and only once. If people are going to see it, they will see it on the pages or through a search. It doesn't need phantom bumping and it sure as hell doesn't need a reboot or restart to weed out what you feel is unacceptable to have in a thread. And saying "it's getting offtopic, delete your post please" is not kosher. just move on. The more you harp on about it being off topic, the more it will bring a thread off topic. Just move on to getting back on topic. It's that simple.

Still pisses me off that you deleted the thread full of other people's comments and I don't believe for a second that you accidently clicked edit thread on your first post and you accidently check marked the "Delete thread" box and accidently clicked OK. Just doesn't happen. If I see you phantom bump this thread again, I'll "get off topic" and call you out on it again because it is annoying to think that there is new content on a thread only to see that the poster deleted and reposted the same info just so that it can get a free bump to the top. Keep that in mind.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-14-04 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-14-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
what are we talking about? "The Phantom Bump"? Is that an upcoming movie? Sounds good!
Old 09-14-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A phantom bump i when you post in a thread. The thread gets bumped up. By deleting the post and reposting it later when the thread has gone down to page 2 you are bumping the thread without giving any new content to it.
Old 09-14-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Phantom bumping = posting to a thread to get it to the top of the forum then deleting the post.
Old 09-14-04, 12:27 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I saw the Phantom, with that guy from Dead Calm. Is he going to be in Phantom Bump too?
Old 09-14-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
No, he's going to be in Phantom Bump II.
Old 09-14-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, so much for keeping this thread on topic.

While I dislike what Barry did, Jack, you're not a moderator. If you have a problem, why not click "Report this post to a moderator" and stop playing Forum Cop?
Old 09-14-04, 05:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

Guys, either stick to the topic or this thread will be closed again.
Old 09-14-04, 05:54 PM

I'd hate to further contribute to the off-topicness but accusations were made against me and I'd like to address them in depth. Honestly, at this point I'd almost rather see the thread die because it's just becoming too much trouble and I started doing this for the fans and to maybe even create some new ones.
But the matter was you wanted to forget all about the other thread. Hope no one noticed a new thread and the other one gone
You have it completely wrong. The original thread was a very successful one and with over 50 replies and countless views the response was overwhelmingly positive. As for my lack of an explaination in this relaunched thread, I intended to address the subject if someone brought it up.
Funny how you were able to get back all that stuff you had laid out. Sort of like you loaded the boat before the flood and had knowledge of the pending doom that awaits once you would need to restart your thread having the exact same format as your original thread.
Not funny at all. I maintain other threads like this one on other message boards and thus I keep all the contents with formatting saved in a .doc file. As I continually update the first post of each thread like this one I go back to the .doc and add it there as well. In fact, the deletion of the thread had nothing to do with you but it was indeed a funny coincidence. I was updating my first post as I had done countless times before because I found out new casting information as well as who was going to compose the music for the movie. I have a scrolling wheel inbetween my two mouse buttons so I started to scroll down while in edit mode and I accidentially slipped and clicked on the delete option. That's it. Your conspiracy theories are fun to read but are really killing the thread.
Keep with your updating because it's good stuff but post it once and only once. If people are going to see it, they will see it on the pages or through a search. It doesn't need phantom bumping and it sure as hell doesn't need a reboot or restart to weed out what you feel is unacceptable to have in a thread. And saying "it's getting offtopic, delete your post please" is not kosher. just move on. The more you harp on about it being off topic, the more it will bring a thread off topic. Just move on to getting back on topic. It's that simple.
See, what we have here is a misunderstanding and that misunderstanding is causing you to get pissed at me but let me explain. Yes, I did bump a few times but all but one of those times was legitimate. See, one of my last posts in the original thread before addressing your phantom bumping accusations was new pictures from a set in the movie (that can now be viewed in the first post of this thread). I had posted the links from another site. The photos soon after were taken down and I didn't have them backed up so I went back to the thread and deleted my post lest folks try to click on them and get dead links. Later on a friend on mine who had saved the photos before they were taken down sent them to me in an e-mail. I then put them up on the free image hosting site photobucket and posted the new links to the pictures in the thread again. I did bump the thread illegitimately once when it fell off the first page but it was an isolated incident and I know now that it's not permitted on this board.

Grr argh!

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 09-14-04 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 06:21 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
So when is Phantom Bump going to be released?
Old 09-14-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This thread is doomed! Doomed I tell you!!!

back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I can't wait for Serenity. Between this and Batman Begins, 2005 is going to rule!
Old 09-14-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Joss Whedon's Serenity

Links from the starting post...
XXXX://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/index.html?fuseaction=tools.invlink&u=BarryWoodward&linkID=36
XXXX://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/index.html?fuseaction=tools.invlink&u=BarryWoodward&linkID=37
XXXX://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/index.html?fuseaction=tools.invlink&u=BarryWoodward&linkID=38
I love Joss and Firefly and everything as much as anyone. But one thing I don't like is the referral system they're using on-line to promote the film. I'm all for "grass roots" and "word of mouth" publicity but this seems a bit underhanded.

(not to mention some of the underhanded things some people will do just to get more points...)
Old 09-14-04, 06:48 PM

I love Joss and Firefly and everything as much as anyone. But one thing I don't like is the referral system they're using on-line to promote the film. I'm all for "grass roots" and "word of mouth" publicity but this seems a bit underhanded.

(not to mention some of the underhanded things some people will do just to get more points...)
Yeah, when the site first launched I felt the same way too and still do to a certain extent. Universal runs the site by the way, not Mutant Enemy.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 09-14-04 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to pile on but I dont think DVDTalk allows affiliate links.
Old 09-14-04, 07:11 PM

Whatever. I mean, the links get folks to where they're looking to go when they click on them and I'm not making any money off of them. The official site encourages members to post their individual links so there's nothing unethical as far as I'm concerned. But since I'm nailed here on the cross you might as well stick a spear in me.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 09-14-04 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Barry Woodward
But since I'm nailed here on the cross you might as well stick a spear in me.
Yes, you're quite Christ-like.

I'm a huge Firefly and Joss Whedon fan, and I can hardly wait for the movie's release, so I hope this thread can get back on track without all the clashing egos so we can get regular updates.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 09-14-04 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Well, so much for keeping this thread on topic.

While I dislike what Barry did, Jack, you're not a moderator. If you have a problem, why not click "Report this post to a moderator" and stop playing Forum Cop?
Well when he first phantom bumped I wasn't playing forum cop. I was pretty nice about it. I simply asked why he was deleting and reposting his message and that it was frustrating me because I thought there was new material when the thread was back on top.

I also did report it to the mods. Just got annoyed at the whole situation when it was nuked.

You have it completely wrong. The original thread was a very successful one and with over 50 replies and countless views the response was overwhelmingly positive. As for my lack of an explaination in this relaunched thread, I intended to address the subject if someone brought it up.
Funny thing about that. I did bring it up. see the first post of mine. You could have jumped in and told me that you "accidently" deleted it. I agree, the first thread was very successful and had countless views and the responses were overwhelmingly positive. THAT IS WHY I WAS PISSED THAT YOU DELETED IT.

See, one of my last posts in the original thread before addressing your phantom bumping accusations was new pictures from a set in the movie
You may not be understanding me. I saw the thread bump up 3 to 4 times during the day with the same content. Nothing new. I enjoyed your previous updates, but you just need to post them once and let the forum keep this up at the top. I'm thankful for the bumps, But let the forum dictate the threads life. Even at page two if another firefly thread comes along we will tell the person "do a search noob" and link to this one. Point is this thread seems like the "one and only" firefly thread that is going to be around for a while. It can afford to be in page 2 cause it will come back to life.

Whatever. I mean, the links get folks to where they're looking to go when they click on them and I'm not making any money off of them.
The point is you are not suppose to gain from a link. I'll let a mod know about that, but you can link to the site without benefiting from it on your own account.

Getting back to the actual thread subject because I do want there to be a firefly thread floating around (I liked the show, a lot since I was upset that a thread with a lot of discussion about it was deleted) The question is what will fox do to promote the film since it is a Universal film now?

I doubt Fox will reshow those episodes in order this time to get the media hype behind the film come 2005. So word of mouth is pretty much all that is left for now I suppose.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-14-04 at 09:38 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.