DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Tuner question

Old 09-13-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner question

I've noticed that the 30" Samsung at Best Buy comes with a tuner. I have a question:

1) Can I use a regular antenna to watch HDTV programs on NBC, ABC and WB or do I need to subscribe to cable ?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Zenith HDTV also has a tuner in it.

You will need an antenna on the roof of you house or have a Powered antenna onto of you HDTV.

1. Roof antenna is a better option, you will have less "cutouts" caused by cars driving by, buildings, trains...
-You should also add a DB boaster, it will help to hold the signal.

2. If you are on a hill top that gets good reception, then a powered antenna on top of the TV will just fine.

OR

You can order Cable/Dish to get your HD programming. I like the Comcast Digital Cable because it gives me more options in HD (ESPN, INHD, Local Channels...).

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 09-13-04 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-14-04, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
My Zenith HDTV also has a tuner in it.

You will need an antenna on the roof of you house or have a Powered antenna onto of you HDTV.

1. Roof antenna is a better option, you will have less "cutouts" caused by cars driving by, buildings, trains...
-You should also add a DB boaster, it will help to hold the signal.

2. If you are on a hill top that gets good reception, then a powered antenna on top of the TV will just fine.

OR

You can order Cable/Dish to get your HD programming. I like the Comcast Digital Cable because it gives me more options in HD (ESPN, INHD, Local Channels...).
Having said that, can I get regular channels without cable? How will the it look, crappier than regular tv? I don't have the funds right now to get cable. Thanks.
Old 09-14-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by matrixrok9
Having said that, can I get regular channels without cable? How will the it look, crappier than regular tv? I don't have the funds right now to get cable. Thanks.
Sure, you will get SD signals along with their HD counterpart. Where I live I get all the local channels in both formats. You'll have to do a little tweeking with the antenna but once you get the right direction both signals should work well.

I don't know anything about the TV your getting but you should check if it also has a built in cable tuner with QAM. So, when you eventually get cable you won't need their HDTV box. The TV will decode the cable's HD channels. The only reason you'll need the box is if you also order a premium channel (HBO, Showtime etc.) which has an HD signal. Otherwise, the box is pretty much useless because only one of the 10 HBO channels is in Hi-Def.
Old 09-14-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you!! This gives me more reason to buy an HDTV.
Old 09-14-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a site which maybe helpful to you in regards to OTA reception in your area.

http://www.hdtvpub.com/local/localar...p_plasma-hdtv/
Old 09-14-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my area the average is about 55 or so, with the highest being 61 and lowest 37, is that okay? Thank you.
Old 09-16-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If your referring to signal response; 55 is good enough. Any signal below that and you will probably get pixelation. Just tweek your antenna until you get a good compromise with all the stations. I got an average 0f 70 across all channels after playing a little with the direction of the antenna.