Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for graphic equalizer recommendations

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I have a JVC RX-DV3SL and it sounds very good for how little it costs. The problem is that the sound is a little on the bright side amd that can get grating with a few movies. I was able to compensate for this somewhat with the tone controls, an SPL meter, and a disc with the frequency tones that the manual claims the tone control specifically deals with.

I liked the results but feel I could do better. To that end, I'd like to purchase a good graphic equalizer to do further adjustments. Sadly, all the graphic equalizers I've seen either have RCA inputs or XLR inputs. My receiver outputs neither of these. Are there any equalizers that have inputs much like those on my speakers? If so, what graphic equalizers would any of you recommend?
Old 09-12-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a tape monitor loop? (Tape decks have dual direction connections: both input and output)

If your receiver can be used with an EQ (as I did with my JVC receiver before it was lost in a move), you can run the EQ using the tape loop (and thereby using the RCA connections).

Check with your receiver manual (not all receivers can be used w/ EQ's (I know my Onkyo can't )), but you should be able to do this.

That being said, there aren't all that many companies that offer EQ's the last time I looked. Crutchfield has them from AudioSource and Kenwood. (Best Buy has AudioSource only).
Old 09-12-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Um, forgive my ignorance, edclem, but what is a tape monitor loop? I have tape/CDR inpute/output line connections in the back but don't know if that's what you're refering to. I also have two digital inputs (one coaxial and the other optical) and an optical digital outpit. Is any of that good?

Are there no equalizers that connect much like some crossovers that can connect via speaker cables rather than line connections?
Old 09-13-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tape/CDR input output line is what he's talking about, you've got one. The only problem I see with edclem's suggestion is that I know with my JVC you're not going to get 5.1 if you use the CDR ins/outs. Maybe that's changed, but I wouldn't count on it. Definitely check your manual though since I have a receiver only, not a built in DVD player like yours.

I'm thinking the problem could be coming from your speakers. What brand/model are you using? JVC generally makes very competent equipment even with their lower end stuff. I'm wondering if maybe the speakers are the problem more so than the receiver. Also see down below about some ways to possibly tweak the speakers a bit.

If this were a standalone receiver I would reccomend skipping the EQ altogether and save up for a better receiver (or better speakers, depending on what you have.) That's just my opinion, not trying to get flamed or start a debate, but: Most modern receivers if they are made well do not really need an EQ anymore unless it's a 2 channel setup for audio only (not a home theater setup.) Even then they don't really need one, but will take one for people who like to tweak their sound to the genre of music they're playing.

If you had a $200 HTIB I'd say live with it or toss it, but you should be getting pretty good sound out of your JVC. I'm putting my money down on it being the speakers, or at least how the speakers are setup on the JVC. I know you've said you've messed with bass/treble and what not, but have you also tried setting your speaker size differently too? The JVC should have a setting for that. If they're set to small then most of your bass is going to go through the sub and only the highs will get to the speakers, setting them to large will get more bass sounds to them and possibly eliminate some of the brightness. I had to do this with mine, as my speakers were right on the border of what JVC defined as smal or large (meaning they could go either way.)

Also turn off any DSP modes like Pavillion, theater, etc.

Last edited by renaldow; 09-13-04 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-13-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

renaldow,

Truth be told mmy speakers are nothing great. Just a $200 set (including subwoofer) from Sony I got at SAM's and are too small to set to large. That said, they do sound pretty good for that they cost. But I know the main problem is with the receiver because I shortly after read a few professional reviews that touched on the fact that the receivers audio was bright no matter what speakers you hook up to it.

I did check the manual but it really doesn't offer anything substantial about tonality other than mentioning the tone controls. Oh and I have all DSP modes off so that's not the problem.

Can the digital inputs/output be used as a loop or does no equalizer accept such a connection?

Sorry for how silly my questions may sound but I'm still pretty much a noob in quite a few home audio areas.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-13-04 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-13-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're kind of in a rock and a hard place, it's hard to give you any 1 solution that will fix the problem. You have a variety of options:

1. Save up, get a new receiver if you think it's totally coming from there. You can probably use the digital output on the JVC to go to the new receiver and use your current speakers with it.

2. Ditch the cheap speakers and invest money there. Small, inexpensive speakers tend to be tinny and bright.

3. Find an EQ that will do what you want it to, put it between the bright amp and the bright tinny inexpensive speakers. You may notice some improvement in sound, but keep in mind the EQ is getting fed bright sound from the bright receiver.

None of them sound that appealing to me, and #3 I think definitely gives you less bang for the buck. Buying more equipment to assist lesser equipment is kind of a money pit and rarely a good idea. Can you see yet that I'm trying to talk you out of buying an EQ?

If at all possible I'd suggest borrowing some better speakers from a friend and trying them out on the JVC before doing anything else. If it sounds good, speakers are the problem obviously. You buy new ones. If it still sounds bad then buy a new receiver, one that doesn't sound so bright to you and hopefully will sound good with the speakers you have now.
Old 09-13-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I may have made my receiver seem worse than it is. It sounds good. It's not extremely bright. Just enough for me to notice it. I can live with it if I have to (and I shall since I'm not gonna buy a new receiver anytime soon). I just wanted to be able to tweak it enough to get the most I reasonably can from it.

I was in a similar boat with my computer speakers (though in the reverse as at it's lowest setting the base from the sub was actually too high and drowing out the higher frequencies somewhat) and my sound cards equalizer proved invaluable to getting it to sound just right. It sounded good before now it sounds much better. I was just hoping to do the same with my home theatre.

And, yes, I can see you're trying to talk me out of buying an EQ. I guess you don't feel they're all they're cracked up to be?
Old 09-14-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

EQ's can be good for a 2 channel music receiver setup, either at the really high end or low end of equipment. The EQ's hayday was back when people had all of their components going into an amp. A modern receiver is basically a combination of EQ and amp, so a standalone EQ isn't really needed anymore.

Also, like I said above, it's rarely a good idea to spend more money to buy equipment to make lesser equipment sound better. You'll go broke quickly and spend more than if you were to just replace the original equipment altogether. Kinda like the kids that buy a Honda Civic and drop $60,000 on them to turn them into a street racer. If they'd just bought a $60,000 car in the first place they'd have a better car.