Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Surge protectors and video quality

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any sense in spending $200 on a monster surge protector for a $900 TV that is mainly if not exclusively used for DVD playback?

I just couldn't see where the salesman was coming from when I explained that at this point wouldn't be using digital cable, etc. He kept insisting the DVD picture would be clearer. If he told me it could protect my equipment it would make sense but I still would've declined and got something cheaper.

I'm no HT expert but I'm not a noob either and just can't see how it would help me unless I had some serious picture quality issues related to power problems.

I live in a 3 year old housing development and have not experienced any power issues in regards to my computer equipment, audio, video quality, etc.
Old 09-12-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Two different issues here.

A surge protector is designed to protect your equipment from power surges. It has nothing to do with "clearer". Yes you should have a good surge protector.

Some of these devices also claim to "clean" the power by reducing or eliminating rf interference etc. I have never seen this to be effective.

Also, I discovered a 10 db signal loss by running my sat coax through my Panamax surge protector which I removed.

Finally always remember if God wants your equipment he is going to get it no matter what protection you have
Old 09-12-04, 08:03 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a good rule of thumb. The answer to any "Do I need this Monster-brand product?" question is "No."
Old 09-13-04, 06:39 AM

The next time you go looking at surge protectors, read all of the fine print. It is incredibly hard the get a reimbursement from the company for damaged equipiment. I did a study a while back; here is what I found:

Here is a brief description of the limitations:

Manufacturer X will pay the lesser of: original cost, replacement cost, repair cost or fair market value. How often do you think the replacement cost will be the least expensive?

For a computer hard drive malfunction they will pay the cost of attempting to recover data (recovery not guaranteed).

The purchaser must ship the damaged goods to Manufacturer X at the purchaser's expense.

Manufacturer X reserves the right to sue your home owner's insurance company to recover the cost of paying you (your premium will go up).

All warranties are null and void if:
Claim is not made within 15 days of the damage.

Claim is not accompanied by the receipts for the damaged equipment and for the surge protector.

Any extension cord is used to power the protector or is plugged into the protector.

Surge protectors are daisy-chained together.

The protected equipment is modified in any way.

Any other surge protector or UPS is used.

Any three-prong to two-prong converters are used.

The house AC power is not properly grounded (full three-wire system with an earth grounding rod).

Or if the protector gets wet.
Old 09-13-04, 06:58 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by JM
Here is a good rule of thumb. The answer to any "Do I need this Monster-brand product?" question is "No."
Old 09-13-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Finally always remember if God wants your equipment he is going to get it no matter what protection you have

That sums up my philosophy on electronics as well.

As far as surge protector/power cleaners go; the way I look at it is that if I had spent thousands of dollars on a TV it would make sense to drop a couple hundred on something like this. If I dropped a few hundred on a TV, it wouldn't. I follow the 10% rule. For any equipment I buy, I can't spend more than 10% of its total price on accessories for it. So, a $900 TV would get $90 worth of cables and surge protector TOPS.

That's just my personal rule, but I think it's a good one as it will keep you from overspending on things you don't really need. You can have some leeway of course in case of a sale or deal, but I wouldn't go more than 15%.
Old 09-15-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow

That sums up my philosophy on electronics as well.

As far as surge protector/power cleaners go; the way I look at it is that if I had spent thousands of dollars on a TV it would make sense to drop a couple hundred on something like this. If I dropped a few hundred on a TV, it wouldn't. I follow the 10% rule. For any equipment I buy, I can't spend more than 10% of its total price on accessories for it. So, a $900 TV would get $90 worth of cables and surge protector TOPS.

That's just my personal rule, but I think it's a good one as it will keep you from overspending on things you don't really need. You can have some leeway of course in case of a sale or deal, but I wouldn't go more than 15%.

good advice