Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

the only good seasons of THE SIMPSONS were...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-04, 04:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, the first two seasons were bad because they were boring.
The third season was good but defintely not great
The only good seasons of the simpsons were seasons 4,5,6,7,8

Seasons 4 and 5 were great seasons! I love the huge pupils and childlikeness of Homer in an innocent way

Seasons 6 7 and 8 were SHOCKINGLY GREAT. They were like mini epics each episode, they were perfect.

The reason I stopped at season 8 is because it tipped over itself in season 9 and just started becoming stupid adn annoying.

Does anyone agree with me? PLease someone agree with me! I can't stand how people still think the show is good. Compared to what it was, it's disgustingly bad. I can't even look at it.
Old 09-12-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: the only good seasons of THE SIMPSONS were...

I'm confused. You say that S3 was good, but then you don't include it on your list of good seasons?
Old 09-12-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first two seasons were boring? Sure it was new and looking back at the quality of animation and the voice acting it seems old, but that is because you are comparing it to when it was already within it's stride.

Tipped over itself and got stupid and annoying? Oh, you are one of those who hates the simpsons now a days because the jokes aren't as up to date and current eventish as other shows like south park who have a quicker turn around rate in production. Though the simpsons writting isn't what it once was, I still like it and I would much rather have some simpsons then no simpsons at all.

And begging for someone to agree with you is pretty silly. I can't stand how people think that the show is worthless now. Stop comparing it to what it was and just enjoy it for what it is for fucks sake.
Old 09-12-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that the early seasons are good. Sure, they're in no way as good as Simpsons was in its prime, but taken on their own they are very funny with subtle wit. I think part of the blaise about them is that they are so old that most people have seen them dozens of times by now.

That said, the newer Simpsons are just plain not funny. I'm not talking about "not as funny as it used to be," I'm saying they are not funny, period. When I watch an entire episode of the Simpsons and don't laugh, something's seriously wrong. I stopped watching the new eps a while ago, so for me no Simpsons is definately preferable than wasting a half hour watching some horribly unfunny dreck trying to pass itself off as the Simpsons.
Old 09-12-04, 04:49 PM
Banned

Season 3 was OKAY it isn't good enough to include.
The first two seasons aren't funny at all, there aren't even jokes there. Ive never liked the first two seasons. No I'm not one of those people, I started disliking the simpsons when it aired its ninth season because the characters changed, the stories got too absurd, the jokes were too desperate, the animation was shitty. Why do you have to be so critical of someone having their own opinion? I knew this was going to happen if I posted something like that. This forum is full of weird hateful people. Anyway YES I DO WANT SOMEONE TO AGREE WITH ME. Because I feel like I'm the only sane person on here.
Old 09-12-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The first two seasons aren't funny at all,
You should be thankful for them for the very simple reason that without them you wouldn't have the rest of the "good" seasons.

Why do you have to be so critical of someone having their own opinion? I knew this was going to happen if I posted something like that. This forum is full of weird hateful people.
Because when you post your opinions on the internet you open yourself to not only the folks that agree with you, but also those who disagree with you. Perhaps you should rethink posting opinions on the internet if you can not handle both negative comments and only want positive feedback in return. Also, if you dislike the way the forum is handled then by all means find one that you feel you fit in with. Sometimes conflicting views is helpful to expand your views and not be a simple sheep or a part of a giant circle jerk. Besides, how else is your beliefs going to be made stronger or able to rethink it if you never question it or have someone else question it?

as for the desperate nature of wanting someone to agree with you. I was making the comment towards that.
Does anyone agree with me? PLease someone agree with me!
You don't have to beg for that. I'm sure people will agree and also disagree on their own. Saying that you feel like the only sane person on the forum is silly. You are new. You have just spent less then 10 days on the board and you can make a call like that? How about you lurk more. Or how about just doing a search for past simpsons threads to see that many people have already brought up this view that the last few seasons haven't been as good as it used to be. Your views are not fresh or new. They are what many people have felt for a long time now.
Old 09-12-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by g_i_john

Does anyone agree with me?
nope..
the simpsons, like everything else, ebb and flow man.. ebb and flow

if you dont like them.. dont watch them.. then you wont have to waste your time bitching about them
Old 09-12-04, 07:07 PM
Banned

You're weird. Due to lack of actual communication in your real life you take someone's harmless post too seriously. Lighten up brotha.
Old 09-12-04, 07:09 PM
Banned

p.s.don't have children
you just point out what's wrong and criticize instead of actually having a solid conversation. It's like you naturally treat someone like they aren't on your side , were you raised without many friends or feeling left out? You should have just told me what seasons you liked and why instead of tearing apart my beliefs.

Last edited by g_i_john; 09-12-04 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-12-04, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Overall, I have enjoyed every season. I think it's a great series. Also like the shorts from the Tracy Ullman show

That's my opinion.
Old 09-12-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I persoanlly think the second season was a massive improvement over the first, and agree the fourth was one of the best. I do think season 3 was excellent also though.

I couldn't differentiate the rest since I don't have the DVD sets (grr fox!)

Otherwise, gi john, don't worry bout it. Jack can be a little...argumentative sometimes. That's just his way.
Old 09-12-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You should be thankful for [the first two seasons] for the very simple reason that without them you wouldn't have the rest of the "good" seasons.
Being thankful the first two seasons exist and thinking they aren't good aren't mutually exclusive positions. I'm one who happens to think they are good, but I don't think anyone should have to think they're good simply because they preclude the better seasons.
Old 09-12-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have thought the Simpsons lost their luster long ago, but I never really felt the need to have anybody agree with me on that fact. And I don't care if they do.
Old 09-13-04, 02:28 AM
Suspended

The Shelf Date on the Simpsons has LONG since expired. Even the Haloween Episode hasnt brought Teh Funny in years. And no, it's not a comparion to South Park or other comedy - I'm only comparing it to what has come before.

Much like Saturday Night Lame - um, Live, the network needs to pull the plug or completly revamp the show. And like SNL, the network is afraid of disturbing an 'institution'.
Old 09-13-04, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Jay G.
Being thankful the first two seasons exist and thinking they aren't good aren't mutually exclusive positions. I'm one who happens to think they are good, but I don't think anyone should have to think they're good simply because they preclude the better seasons.
Well you have to take them in a different context. The simpsons of season 1+2 were way different. They had some lessons to them and werent all about homer doing something dumb for the sake of doing something dumb for a laugh. He actually sounded fairly educated.

It is interesting to see how it evolved and I do remember watching them when they first were on tv and I enjoyed them for what they were. They lead up to better seasons. It wasn't a matter of just turning it on one day and saying "Wow, these are great compared to what I used to watch". They evolved with you and that's why I enjoy the first seasons for what they are.
Old 09-13-04, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You're weird. Due to lack of actual communication in your real life you take someone's harmless post too seriously. Lighten up brotha.

This coming from the guy who was hurt because this forum is full of hateful people who are weird?

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Perhaps you took my harmless opinion of a post to serious and got butt hurt when I disagreed with your view. Guess what, that will happen a lot in life.

As for the childern comment. what the hell? what are you? 12? From all accounts it sounds like you weren't raised with many other friends. Or at the very least friends who disagreed or actually had their own opinion since you only want to hear people agree with you. That is a clear sign of wanting acceptance.

If you did look at the older simpsons threads you will notice that there is a certain amount of users who just bitch about the simpsons new seasons but for some reason keep going back for more pain only to bitch about them. After a while it just gets annoying. I told you my views on why I enjoyed the seasons.

As for tearing apart your beliefs? When did I do that? Did I say that santa is dead, god doesn't exist and the easter bunny is just a guy in a suit? It's called a discussion. When you start a thread stating your views on the only good seasons of the simpons you have to be willing to accept that others have a different view and you should be open to listen to them and not just call them strange, weird and mean because they don't agree with you.

I do not agree with you 100% and I'll voice that.
Old 09-13-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
The peak seasons were 4-7 but 2,3, and 8 were also very good.
Old 09-13-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

8 was the best, IMO. It had about 5-6 of the funniest episodes, including the X-Files episode and "Homer Vs The 18th Amendment" (the BEST episode EVER).
Old 09-13-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All. Of. Them.
Old 09-13-04, 03:45 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, the newer seasons aren't as good. But I was honestly still getting laughs on a regular basis up until this last season, when they started becoming really sparse I admit. I still enjoy the show, though.
Old 09-13-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darqleo
All. Of. Them.
I'll agree with this one... I STILL laugh out loud at them...and my kids do as well. Looking forward to this year's season!
Old 09-13-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree with the above statemnet. They may not be as whacky of off the wall as they used to be. But if it's sunday night I'll still tune into them and get a laugh or two out of them.
Old 09-13-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's weird is that even some of the newer episodes where I'm kind of like "eh" when it's over, I'll watch in repeat a couple of weeks later and laugh my @ss off, wondering why I wasn't laughing the first time.
Old 09-13-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, the first two seasons were bad because they were boring.
Someone needs to rewatch 'Bart the Daredevil', 'Itchy and Scratchy and Marge' and 'Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish'.
Old 09-14-04, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Much like Saturday Night Lame - um, Live, the network needs to pull the plug or completly revamp the show. And like SNL, the network is afraid of disturbing an 'institution'.
Yup.

The Simpsons lost thier touch around '97-98 when they did that silly "musical" season where like every other week some character had to break out into a song

As far as the early episodes:

Some time ago i had the chance to see the episode where Martin, Millhouse, & Bart all buy Radioactiveman #1. I had long since forgot this episode but i realized how much better that one episode was than all of the last 5 years of the show i had seen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.