Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Digital Optical vs. Coaxial

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-04, 09:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm fairly new to the surround sound environment and am confused about something I saw at Bestbuy today. I swear I read a "comparison" sign that said Coaxial Digital does not give 5.1 surround sound and Optical was the only thing that would do that. I have a coaxial jack on my dvd player and wonder if that will pump out both Dolby Digital and DTS (the player and receiver support both). Did I read something wrong and/or is Bestbuy trying to get people to buy more expensive cables?

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-10-04, 09:52 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Best Buy or your reading is wrong. The type of cable doesn't matter. Your coax jack will work just fine. (I prefer coax myself just for its durability and it passes DTS and DD)
Old 09-11-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't put it past BB to post incorrect info like this to get people to buy the more expensive Optical cables! It could backfire if they want to push a particular DVD player that ONLY has Coaxial Digital output.
Old 09-11-04, 09:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Buy the optical cables at Radio Shack. ~$20 for 1.5m.

That's not cheap, but in my experience, everybody else charges more.

You can get decent cheap coax at RS as well. Just stay away from Monster. Everything they make is overpriced.
Old 09-12-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get optical cables for around $9 too at places like Walmart, K-Mart, Fred Meyer's, etc. I used to like optical a lot, but have since been using coax as it seems to be a bit more reliable depending on the cable and the equipment it's being used on.
Old 09-12-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like coax because you can use crappy old video cable instead of having to by optical cable.
Old 09-13-04, 02:16 PM

Yea , i got mine (DOptical) at Best buy for like 10 bucks and is around 2m. Just since i working on the basement and the the optical cables are out and around ... needed to cover them all up.

Both really there is no real difference in them I think.
Old 09-13-04, 11:40 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Optical is supposed to break more easily than coax, but unless you're going to be moving your components around a lot, or you're constantly tweaking your system, I think it's just a matter of personal preference and cost. And what your receiver and components support. My receiver has 4 optical ins and 1 optical out, but only 2 coax ins.
Old 09-14-04, 10:51 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Blade
Optical is supposed to break more easily than coax, but unless you're going to be moving your components around a lot, or you're constantly tweaking your system, I think it's just a matter of personal preference and cost. And what your receiver and components support. My receiver has 4 optical ins and 1 optical out, but only 2 coax ins.
Fiber has a 'minimum bend radius' that, if exceeded, will cause the fiber to break. The angle is pretty steep though. Some dork at Best Buy once told me that the coax has (cough) greater bandwidth.

In my experience, if you're connect/disconnecting frequently, you're better off w/optical. The quick release is much better than torquing on that RCA jack.

The only RCAs I use are the ones I am forced to- analog audio (damn DVD-A and SACD refuse to use a digital means to transfer data) and component video. And I get nervous each and every time I disconnect them
Old 09-14-04, 11:35 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
What do you do, pull by the wire?

I can't remember ever having an RCA connector go bad on me. Even the cheapest video cable. But I could pull the wire out if I just pulled on that.
Old 09-14-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I use coaxial cables for some reasons stated above. However, I have to use the optical cable for my HDTV. It didn't have a coaxial out for digital sound.