DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Early DVDs in LA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early DVDs in LA?

I'm not sure if this is an acceptable thread, but here goes:

Is there a good place to get DVDs before street date in Los Angeles? I'm so used to getting them early, coming from New York, and was wondering if there was a place that regularly breaks street date? Thanks.
Old 09-10-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a couple of stores that will sell you promotional copies such as Amoeba records if they have them. A CD-ROM store in Pasadena on South Lake usually has them early as well.

Just have to look around some really. Some places break street date more then others. usually little mom and pop stores.
Old 09-10-04, 04:54 PM

yep, small store that I've everasked has broken the street date for me.
Old 09-10-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any in San Diego?
Old 09-10-04, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
A CD-ROM store in Pasadena on South Lake usually has them early as well.
Is this CD-ROM store dear Del Mar?
Old 09-10-04, 05:16 PM
Banned

There is one located in Fullerton,CA that breaks street dates all the time. However, one time I called and asked if they had "Two Towers Extended Edition" and they said "I'm sorry that title hasn't been released yet". However, if you walk into the store they are all up for grabs. They sold Episode II two weeks before it came out for $20.99, and even rented it before street date.
Old 09-10-04, 05:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

psssssst.... many of the 20/20 Video stores break street date........ pass it on. they also have very good prices on their used DVDs. not like amoeba, charging for used what i can get new at deepdiscountdvd.com
Old 09-10-04, 08:03 PM

I'd agree on 20/20 Video, as they usually have them up the Thursday before release day. They have some good prices.

Amoeba is fun since their prices aren't consistent so you can find some good deals. They also have plenty of interesting/weird looking people working and shopping there.
Old 09-10-04, 08:44 PM

Re: Early DVDs in LA?

Originally posted by Skoobooz
Is there a good place to get DVDs before street date in Los Angeles? I'm so used to getting them early, coming from New York, and was wondering if there was a place that regularly breaks street date? Thanks.
When I lived in LA the Tower Records in Marina Del Rey broke street date a lot. Been a while since I've been there though(two-three years)
Old 09-10-04, 11:47 PM
Cool New Member

Video Hut on Vermont in Los Feliz usually puts its titles out for rent the week before street date. They once sold me a title I couldn't wait a week for. So if you ask 'em nice, and get there early...
Old 09-11-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Certain Blockbuster video stores tend to break street dates. They'll do it if the nearby competition is doing it, mainly mom and pop stores. They do it with their rentals, but also with their sale items including many of the new releases and box sets. I was able to get Clerks X, Alias S3, and a few other titles a week ahead. I'm betting I'll be able to pick up the Star Wars set in the same fashion.
Old 09-11-04, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Amoeba is a used store that knows what they get when they get it. So you wont be able to sneak a fast one on them like any other used store or pawn shop that may get some piece of gold and not know it till they sold it for 90% what it's worth.

But if you are looking for a certain title you will most likely find it there. And the prices are so random. If they have more then one copy of the title the price goes down for one of the copies. I have found a lot of Anime titles that MSRP for 29.99 or more that were actually 7.99 at amoeba. So you can find some kick ass deals sometimes. and they don't care about street date aslong as it comes in through some one. they'll toss it out.
Old 09-11-04, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by nonametofame
Certain Blockbuster video stores tend to break street dates. They'll do it if the nearby competition is doing it, mainly mom and pop stores. They do it with their rentals, but also with their sale items including many of the new releases and box sets. I was able to get Clerks X, Alias S3, and a few other titles a week ahead. I'm betting I'll be able to pick up the Star Wars set in the same fashion.
Is there a specific BBV that you're talking about? Everyone I've seen barely has anything on release date as it is. I'd love to find SW by next week.
Old 09-11-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heavy Rotation, on Ventura Boulevard in Studio City, often puts DVDs out before they're officially released.
Old 09-11-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally posted by ILikeDVD
Any in San Diego?
There's only one or two "mom & pop" stores that I go to and neither one will. Occasionally Best Buy or Borders will.... but not enough to actively look for something early. If there's one out here I'd sure like to know... just in case
Old 09-11-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally posted by Dalvin
There is one located in Fullerton,CA that breaks street dates all the time. However, one time I called and asked if they had "Two Towers Extended Edition" and they said "I'm sorry that title hasn't been released yet". However, if you walk into the store they are all up for grabs. They sold Episode II two weeks before it came out for $20.99, and even rented it before street date.
Where in Fullerton? Or, what's the name?
Old 09-11-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cygnet74
psssssst.... many of the 20/20 Video stores break street date........ pass it on. they also have very good prices on their used DVDs. not like amoeba, charging for used what i can get new at deepdiscountdvd.com
Ain't that the truth. 20/20 is also great for renting DVDs, they seem to have everything that's available on DVD, unlike Hollywood Video and Cockbuster, who only get in the new titles, but with the back catalog titles, you're stuck with VHS.
Old 09-13-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

:bump:
Old 09-14-04, 08:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, where is it? I'm next door in Placentia..
Old 09-14-04, 11:27 AM
Banned

Wow then you right near the place then. I made a promise to the guy who owns the place not to tell anyone the name. Also, if I post the name that could be bad in one sense because then somebody might shut it down and stop them(God Forbid). I am not lying. I will tell you that its very near Yoba Linda Blvd. but that's all I'm going to say. I'm sure you can figure it out.
Old 09-14-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Then what's the point in saying anything? seriously. How many places have been shut down by "the man" because they were mentioned here? You make it seem like some black ops read the boards for tips. If anything you'll just get more people who will go there and try to get it early possibly killing your goldmine. which I think is the real issue here. Don't piss on your foot in the sense.

If anything, mentioning the name here will bring a lot more business for the guy who owns the place. I'm sure he wouldn't want a thing like that. How about you e-mail those asking for specifics. They are in the area, they can benefit from this and I'm sure they wont be shutting down the establishment anytime soon because of a dvdtalker.
Old 09-14-04, 12:42 PM

Another vote for 20/20. The one I went to had all kinds of broken street date DVD's. When I asked the guy about them, he just smiled sheepishly and said that yes, they'd already come out.
Old 09-14-04, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Then what's the point in saying anything? seriously. How many places have been shut down by "the man" because they were mentioned here? You make it seem like some black ops read the boards for tips. If anything you'll just get more people who will go there and try to get it early possibly killing your goldmine. which I think is the real issue here. Don't piss on your foot in the sense.

If anything, mentioning the name here will bring a lot more business for the guy who owns the place. I'm sure he wouldn't want a thing like that. How about you e-mail those asking for specifics. They are in the area, they can benefit from this and I'm sure they wont be shutting down the establishment anytime soon because of a dvdtalker.
I can understand Dalvin's reluctance to give the name. This place is his contact for early stuff. Why mess that up? If what he's saying is true about finding it out yourself, give it a shot. Might be a fun little detective work errand for you. I know if I lived in that area, I'd be all over it.
Old 09-14-04, 02:01 PM
Banned

It isn't that hard to find. I am actually going up there today to see if I can get the Star Wars trilogy early(don't bother calling, they will just tell you that its released on the 21st). Also, the first time I walked in and noticed plenty of titles early, I asked the guy and he became very suspicious. When I told him I was just a college kid and a huge movie fan, he let his guard down. They don't like to many questions at that place. Just pay and leave. Like I said they aren't the best prices in town but they'll do.
Old 09-15-04, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Dalvin
It isn't that hard to find. I am actually going up there today to see if I can get the Star Wars trilogy early(don't bother calling, they will just tell you that its released on the 21st). Also, the first time I walked in and noticed plenty of titles early, I asked the guy and he became very suspicious. When I told him I was just a college kid and a huge movie fan, he let his guard down. They don't like to many questions at that place. Just pay and leave. Like I said they aren't the best prices in town but they'll do.
Thanks Dalvin. A little detective work and I'm a happier person today.

Thanks again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.