Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Punisher (2004) Thomas Jane question?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-09-04, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw The Punisher (2004) and boy did it suck. I actually preferred Dolph Lundgren's version, but that besides the point. My question is: What is the deal with Thomas Janes left thumbnail? Did anyone notice it?

You can especially notice it in scenes:
Spoiler:
When he is holding his wife after she is killed

&
Spoiler:
When he is driving, right before he total his car

Check it out
Old 09-09-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a bruise
Old 09-09-04, 05:58 PM

pics?
Old 09-09-04, 06:15 PM

Sorry. I don't have a pic.
Old 09-09-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
For something that sucked so badly, you sure paid a lot of attention to the real small unimportant details.
Old 09-09-04, 07:47 PM

Re: The Punisher (2004) Thomas Jane question?

Originally posted by Chip718
I just saw The Punisher (2004) and boy did it suck. I actually preferred Dolph Lundgren's version, but that besides the point.
Another example of how posting and drinking don't mix. :P
Old 09-10-04, 12:18 PM

I noticed it even before I suffered through the actually movie. You can see the scene on the first teaser trailer.

I guess you have be a true fan of the comic book to appreciate how awful this film was. Come on the thing was set in Tampa. It wasn't as violent as it should have been. Does anyone actually think he "punished" anyone. What Quentin Glass did to Spaker Dave was more "Punisher-ish"

The Lundgren version was a cheesy B nothing more, nothing less No one expected it to be any good. The 2004 had some big names behind it and fell flat.
Old 09-10-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The COMMENTARY explains it... he smashed his finger in real life in a door or something and they didnt cover it up.
Old 09-10-04, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Chip718
Does anyone actually think he "punished" anyone. What Quentin Glass did to Spaker Dave was more "Punisher-ish"
WTF!?!?!? Oh wait... WHAT THE FUCK!

He didn't punish Saint? You got to be joking with such a statement. He made Saint
Spoiler:
KILL
his wife, he made Saint
Spoiler:
KILL
his best friend. If that isn't punishment I don't know what is. Maybe reading your posts is the full punishment.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 09-11-04 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-10-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Wish he would pyoonish this guy!

Old 09-10-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I said I liked the movie, would that be a thread crap?
Old 09-10-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Friends don't let friends post drunk.
Old 09-10-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a huge Punisher comic book fan and I considered the 2004 flick to be about 1000x more faithful to the character than the crappy lundgren 80s flick was. Ok, so he starts out in Tampa in this one... so what. Its clear that the series is moving to another metropolis in the sequel and you can bet dollars to donuts its the big apple. IMO, the key was in the details... he had the skull-clad armor... he used cool gimzos and weapons to kick ass... he was more interested in winning than "playing fair" and his need for revenge is what makes him almost un-killable and yet the guy maintains a sense of humor.

those kinds of things were what was key to the comic character and IMO the film used (some of) them and is therefore is a decent foundation for another Punisher flick or even a series of them.

IMO, if they move Jane to NYC... make it a lil bloodier... and add in a good actor as Micro the sequel has a great chance of success.

j
Old 09-10-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I was never a big Punisher fan (read a few of the comics years ago),but i enjoyed this movie.
Old 09-10-04, 10:56 PM

I agree with Jek...

I've been a Punisher fan since I was 12, and this movie was more Punisher than anything I've seen.

In fact, I don't know why everyone bashes this movie - it never pretends to be anything other than an action movie. It doesn't masquerade as a buddy flick or whatever the hell else is out there these days.

Back in the 80's and early 90's you could have an all out action flick with little or no plot, and it was a good movie. I enjoy them for what they are - fun action flicks. Shit blows up, people die horribly, and the hero gets a hot bitch. It's supposed to be that way. If I want substance, I'll watch Les Trois Coleurs or a Vinterberg film.

Really, I think there's this elitist bug that's crawling up many a member ass both here and on other movie forums. Everyone thinks their some fucking film snob, and it's sickening me.

People can call this film shit, but at least it was straight forward with what it was - ass-kicking revenge. Christ, it was no worse than Alien Vs. Predator or fucking Daredevil, which neither was great, but neither was a total piece of shit either. What the hell does everyone expect? Even the recent James Bond movies pale in comparison to the Punisher. And the Punisher was mediocre at best.

If you want to see a REAL piece of shit, check out "I shot Andy Warhol".
Old 10-17-04, 05:48 PM

Anybody find the action sequence in this film quite cheap and unimpressive.....I thought this movie was pretty horrible
Old 10-18-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I liked this movie a lot. It was just a fun action flick.
Old 10-18-04, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chowchris13
Anybody find the action sequence in this film quite cheap and unimpressive.....I thought this movie was pretty horrible
If you realistic and not chock full of CG, yes.
Old 10-18-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by flashburn
If you realistic and not chock full of CG, yes.
And don't forget the total lack of the "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" song. And Vin Diesel.
Old 10-18-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
In fact, I don't know why everyone bashes this movie - it never pretends to be anything other than an action movie. It doesn't masquerade as a buddy flick or whatever the hell else is out there these days.

Back in the 80's and early 90's you could have an all out action flick with little or no plot, and it was a good movie. I enjoy them for what they are - fun action flicks. Shit blows up, people die horribly, and the hero gets a hot bitch. It's supposed to be that way. If I want substance, I'll watch Les Trois Coleurs or a Vinterberg film.

Really, I think there's this elitist bug that's crawling up many a member ass both here and on other movie forums. Everyone thinks their some fucking film snob, and it's sickening me.
I don't think the complaints come from the lack of character development. There are good action movies and shitty action movies. A tough hero and a bunch of people dying doesnt guarentee a good action/revenge film.
Old 10-19-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
The Punisher was 35 shades of awful. Weak acting, weak pacing, a paper-thin revenge plot, and even as a B-movie it sucked. I preferred the 1989 Dolph Lundgren version, to be honest, and while that particular monostrosity had elements of suckiness it was still better structured than the 2004 crapfest.

And some of those great 80s action movies still paid attention to plot, pacing, characterization, story, etc., while still providing the thrills. Look at the original Terminator, which few remember was a low-budget B-movie quickie, that impressed, not so much because of its kewl explosions and atcion scenes, but because of its gripping story and mounting sense of doom and desperation. Die Hard was, at its heart, a story of a man completely out of his element, both with the terrorist threat and his own wife. Predator was a cautionary tale against Latin/South American interventionism. Red Dawn sucked, but sucked in a way that wasn't completely about blowing shit up. Conan The Barbarian is one of the most pinpoint critiques of the Northern Ireland situation ever constructed. Ghostbusters deconstructed the Madonna/Whore myth prevalent throughout Western culture, and Raiders of the Lost Ark was little more than thinly-veiled anti-Vatican propaganda.

Punisher was, in relation, a weak revenge tale that really didn't say anything. And the action wasn't even that impressive.

Now gay
Old 10-19-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
The Punisher was 35 shades of awful. Weak acting, weak pacing, a paper-thin revenge plot, and even as a B-movie it sucked. I preferred the 1989 Dolph Lundgren version, to be honest, and while that particular monostrosity had elements of suckiness it was still better structured than the 2004 crapfest.

And some of those great 80s action movies still paid attention to plot, pacing, characterization, story, etc., while still providing the thrills. Look at the original Terminator, which few remember was a low-budget B-movie quickie, that impressed, not so much because of its kewl explosions and atcion scenes, but because of its gripping story and mounting sense of doom and desperation. Die Hard was, at its heart, a story of a man completely out of his element, both with the terrorist threat and his own wife. Predator was a cautionary tale against Latin/South American interventionism. Red Dawn sucked, but sucked in a way that wasn't completely about blowing shit up. Conan The Barbarian is one of the most pinpoint critiques of the Northern Ireland situation ever constructed. Ghostbusters deconstructed the Madonna/Whore myth prevalent throughout Western culture, and Raiders of the Lost Ark was little more than thinly-veiled anti-Vatican propaganda.

Punisher was, in relation, a weak revenge tale that really didn't say anything. And the action wasn't even that impressive.

Now gay
Who's gay?
Old 10-20-04, 08:10 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

saw it last night, good popcorn movie