Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Greenaway's Baby of Macon on DVD R1? And info any news site on Peter Greenaway?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Peter Greenaway's Baby of Macon on DVD R1? And info any news site on Peter Greenaway?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-04, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to any Peter Greenaway fans or insiders out there!

I was hoping to find some news on Peter Greenaway's strange, powerful and controversial film The Baby of Macon starring Ralph Fiennes and Julia Ormond. I find it strange that such a film with a high-profile cast has not yet been released on R1 DVD (it's available in Australia R4, but I heard the transfer is horrid and on a single layer disc). Please share any news and insight into this, should you have any...

Also, does anyone know of a current website that stays up-to-date on Greenaway's projects? Does he have an official news site?
Old 09-09-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Baby of Macon has never been released in America either theatrically or on home video. Due to the subject matter, no studios have wanted to touch it (which is ironic, given that Dogville got a full release and has basically the same "shocking" climax to the plot).

Greenaway's official site is:

http://petergreenaway.co.uk

Click on the little disc icon for a list of his movies on DVD worldwide.
Old 09-09-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sheesh, well at least it should be given a proper release on R2 by the UK, but then again the UK can be even more skittish than the US about controversial, or worse-- subversive film. My wife saw it in Mexico, and she can't stop talking about it.

Thanks for the site info!
Old 09-09-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by slowcloud
Sheesh, well at least it should be given a proper release on R2 by the UK,
BFI has started releasing nice DVDs of Greenaway's work. So far they have released Draughtsman's Contract, Zed and Two Noughts, and two collections of Greenaway's early films. I am hoping that they will continue and release all of his films. I think the fact that Prospero's Books isn't on DVD is a sin. I have never seen Baby of Macon, I have been foolishly holding out waiting to see if a decent release will come out, but it is sadly looking more and more like I am going to have to settle for the inferior R4 release (hopefully only for now).

Hopefully we will eventually see all of his films on DVD presented beautifully, as they should be.
Old 09-09-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far they have released Draughtsman's Contract, Zed and Two Noughts, and two collections of Greenaway's early films. I am hoping that they will continue and release all of his films.
I doubt it. The only Greenaway films the BFI owns are those they've already released.
Old 09-09-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I have a review of the Japanese laserdisc on this page:

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserdisc...abyofmacon.htm